Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

If you're that impressed by the tutorial area, there's no thinking, you will be. Enjoy it! Wish I could play through it again for the first time.

Theres a lot of "wish I could get amnesia just so I can play it again" and people feeling a loss when they finish it ! Is it really that good ? !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Heckler wrote: »
    Think I'll be sinking a lot of time into this.

If you're that impressed by the tutorial area, there's no thinking, you will be. Enjoy it! Wish I could play through it again for the first time.

Same as this. Started a second play through a while back and got distracted by other games but will get back to it some time. Won't compare to running through it first time though. Amazing experience.

@Heckler - probably been mentioned already but make sure you make use of the Quen sign during harder battles as it give you an over shield. Also,use Yrden for wraiths as you can give them a good lash when you bait them into the circle, hard to hit them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

skerry wrote: »
    Same as this. Started a second play through a while back and got distracted by other games but will get back to it some time. Won't compare to running through it first time though. Amazing experience.

@Heckler - probably been mentioned already but make sure you make use of the Quen sign during harder battles as it give you an over shield. Also,use Yrden for wraiths as you can give them a good lash when you bait them into the circle, hard to hit them otherwise.

Yrden is great for mobs of bandits too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

So fired it up last night. Just got through the few tutorials and killed a few ghouls and am about to head away on the hoss.

Initial impressions ? As a total noob to RPGs it was an amazing start. Loved how the Witcher story was told in comic panel form.

I'm just used to wasd shoot and maybe QE peek so I think the combat is going to be challenging for me.

The soundtrack from the start is fantastic, has a real cinematic feel, and the voice acting is great. Already it feels like living a LOTR film or GoT episode.

Running it on an i52500k(not overclocked) and a gtx1060 3 gb and it looks great and runs great.

Think I'll be sinking a lot of time into this.

Yeah its pretty much Game of thrones with extreme horror, the combat will likely start off hard for you and will gradually get much easier for you.

And yeah, the soundtrack is fantastic, really fits and immerses you more into the world, and being Irish you will appreciate the music a whole lot more..

If you're loving it now, its only gonna get better and better, Enjoy! ;)

Winds howling..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

Thanks for the tips ! Really looking forward to getting stuck in. I'm sure I'll be back in a few hours with HOW THE F**K DO YOU KILL SO AND SO !:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Yrden is great for mobs of bandits too..

I find Axii to be the most useful, especially if they're a few levels above.

You do extra damage for hitting people from behind but if they're stunned you 1 shot them.

It doesnt work if they're way overlevelled - if their level is a just a red skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Went exploring a cave this morning. While inside the cave, I could see Roach's horse icon going nuts on the minimap. Dismissed it as some silly bug. Came back out of the cave and realised what had happened; Roach took it upon himself to attack a bandit camp and kicked them all to death :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Theres a lot of "wish I could get amnesia just so I can play it again" and people feeling a loss when they finish it ! Is it really that good ? !

Yes, for me and a lot of other people, this is exactly how a game should be made (RPG anyway). The main story is pretty good, but it's the side missions and the world itself which make it such a good game. Everyone who has played it has gotten completely distracted from the main story so many times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The side missions are more interesting because they're not about saving the world. They're more realistic (even though it's about monsters). They're often better written have less black/white choices compared to the main quest and the results of your actions are quicker to appear. It's best to think of the main quest as just another side quest and focus on whatever you fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

its that time of year again,

the plowing festival. hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

dreamers75 wrote:
    Whats this?

It's the campaign for the Gwent game I think

its that time of year again,

the plowing festival. hehe

Ploughin Hoorsons :)

Got to level 39 before figuring out how to craft glyphs :o

Got to level 39 before figuring out how to craft glyphs :o

I'm on my second playthrough and about 230 hrs put into the game and can't remember ever crafting one. You generally stockpile them for just doing regular game stuff.

Rune crafting if ridiculously expensive as far as I remember. Think I only used that guy once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I didn't use all that many of them, but I found they were excellent to sell on, a batch of them would pay for a rake of stuff. Whatever the ones with burning, poison, etc were though, those were stupidly helpful.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I didn't use all that many of them, but I found they were excellent to sell on, a batch of them would pay for a rake of stuff. Whatever the ones with burning, poison, etc were though, those were stupidly helpful.

True.

Once you get into crafting Grandmaster Armour sets you need every ploughin bit of coin you can get your hands on......expensive hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

for the day that's in it

Winds howling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

On my second playthrough of this. I still don't know what they were thinking with all those smuggler's caches in Skellige!

Finished BaW at the weekend. Over 130 hours put into this game. Still trying to discover everything. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

HoS was a bit of a slog and just not as good as the main game. Maybe the storyline just wasn't as gripping. The end portrait part was a nice tell but everything up to that was a bit of a chore. Maybe the map being near the main Velen area meant it wasn't as refreshing.

BaW was great though. Story, characters, everything. If I have one gripe, it's that I found the combat irritating at times. Some areas made dodging difficult because something like a chair would be in the way. The quest Extreme Cosplay caused a bit of a rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I preferred Blood and Wine too, just a nicer area to **** about in. I think I ended up with 237 hours altogether. I still miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Finished BaW at the weekend. Over 130 hours put into this game. Still trying to discover everything. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

HoS was a bit of a slog and just not as good as the main game. Maybe the storyline just wasn't as gripping. The end portrait part was a nice tell but everything up to that was a bit of a chore. Maybe the map being near the main Velen area meant it wasn't as refreshing.

BaW was great though. Story, characters, everything. If I have one gripe, it's that I found the combat irritating at times. Some areas made dodging difficult because something like a chair would be in the way. The quest Extreme Cosplay caused a bit of a rage.

Ah I loved the story in HoS, actually it’s one of my favourite stories in any game I’ve played, and it isn’t even a full game! I’m in the minority here but I preferred it to BaW, which is still a phenomenal DLC pack with more content than most full games these days. It’s just that Gaunter O’Dimm is one of the absolute best video game characters I’ve ever seen, especially when you read some of the theories about what he actually is. For that reason alone, it just edges BaW for me. That giant frog was an absolute bastard though because of the difficulty spike of being overpowered at the end of the main story to being average at the beginning of HoS.

Every bit of Witcher 3 content is absolutely top notch at the end of the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah I loved the story in HoS, actually it’s one of my favourite stories in any game I’ve played, and it isn’t even a full game! I’m in the minority here but I preferred it to BaW, which is still a phenomenal DLC pack with more content than most full games these days. It’s just that Gaunter O’Dimm is one of the absolute best video game characters I’ve ever seen, especially when you read some of the theories about what he actually is. For that reason alone, it just edges BaW for me. That giant frog was an absolute bastard though because of the difficulty spike of being overpowered at the end of the main story to being average at the beginning of HoS.

Every bit of Witcher 3 content is absolutely top notch at the end of the day though.

Here is a video looking at the Heart of Stone DLC & even some of the influences to it

martyos121 wrote: »

Same opinion here on the expansions, thought HoS was the better story. Gaunter O Dimm is a great villian. Only realised when starting my second playthrough of main campaign that he is
    one of the first NPCs you bump into at the Inn at White Orchard

Had to google the Extreme Cosplay quest to see which one it is and yes, its a pain in the hole of a mission. Also that Toad is punishing, wouldn't fancy him on Death March now to be honest, although I don't think I had discovered the wonders of an alchemy build at that stage on my first play through.

Winds Howling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I preferred Hearts of Stone to Blood and Wine, despite the latter containing my favourite character in the Witcher universe. The characterisation of David Beckam/Olgierd and Monsewere Mirror, and their weaknessess/strengths was superb, even if I love Regis more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

So looks like the casting for the new witcher Netflix series has been populated a bit. Based on one of the castings, it looks like we will see the storyline of how Geralt
    becomes the butcher of Blaviken

I would have guessed as much to be honest. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement