Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Eating 'Hacks'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Of course if you just don't like broccoli, you don't have to eat it :P

I can't stand the stuff, there's lots of other greens to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

syklops wrote: »
    I add it to Guinness stew all the time, I just add it 30 minutes before the end.

That's fine if you're not batch cooking but not so good if you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

This is probably a famous one here but I didnt see it mentioned yet. Cauliflower rice. Put cauliflower in a food processor and then treat it like you would normal rice. I like it fried with egg in a wok for fried 'rice'. tasty and very low calorie. A plate full of the fried rice will only be about 150 cals. Very filling too. Never tried it with broccoli but it might work as well.

..and if you like cauliflower rice you can move on to cauliflower pizza bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

..and if you like cauliflower rice you can move on to cauliflower pizza bases.

I'm listening....

• Advertisement

Looks terrific! I dare say it looks tastier than real pizza base? What's the texture like? Crispy and crunchy or soft and squishy?

I was seriously worried you were taking the piss for a bit

If you like cauliflower then it's really good. It's crispy-ish. Really depends how you make it though.

Try it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

At this point its worth pointing out that Stench Blossoms(a nick I don't understand) is the queen of healthy eating hacks and will have loads of suggestions.

At this point its worth pointing out that Stench Blossoms(a nick I don't understand) is the queen of healthy eating hacks and will have loads of suggestions.

Does that mean in real life you're called Rose?

Are we off topic yet?

• Advertisement

No, but i smell glorious.

On topic: don't eat the same foods over and over again. Branch out, be adventurous. Otherwise you'll get sick of eating your healthy meals and wil revert back to junk.

A great go-to snack is boiled eggs. Boil up half a dozen on a sunday and leave them in a bowl in the fridge. What I do is leave them in the shell and then when im peckish, I tap the bottom of the egg, and pinch off the top, and then blow the egg out. A deshelled egg in seconds.

Let me find the video...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

How long would the last in the fridge if boiled on the Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're a frequent tea/coffee drinker, it's hard to cut that out (even though you should).

Fill a pint glass of water every time you get a cup. No more tea or coffee until you finish the pint of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

A great go-to snack is boiled eggs. Boil up half a dozen on a sunday and leave them in a bowl in the fridge. What I do is leave them in the shell and then when im peckish, I tap the bottom of the egg, and pinch off the top, and then blow the egg out. A deshelled egg in seconds.

Let me find the video...

here's one
    http://lifehacker.com/5651930/easily-peel-hard+boiled-eggs
    and yes its as fun doing it as you would expect.
    johnybean wrote: »
    4/5 days, maybe longer. good enough to get you through the work week at least

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

A great go-to snack is boiled eggs. Boil up half a dozen on a sunday and leave them in a bowl in the fridge.

This is what I do. I also boil a bacon joint every once in a while, slice it up and put it in the freezer. Add some cherry tomatoes and I have a lovely portable protein based breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

whats wrong with tea/coffee?

johnybean wrote: »

Short answer: they don't last long. ;)

Real answer. They'll keep to Friday / Saturday.
    Mr E wrote: »
    If you're a frequent tea/coffee drinker, it's hard to cut that out (even though you should).

Whats wrong with Tea? It's full of anti-oxidants.

I think the tea thing really depends on what you put in it ie. lots of sugar etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

hardCopy wrote: »
    Of course if you just don't like broccoli, you don't have to eat it :P

I can't stand the stuff, there's lots of other greens to play with.

Ah yeah, but it's so good for you!

I had some yesterday with some parmesan cheese as suggested. Was tasty. :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

THANK YOU! I must try this trick, all my egg peeling endeavours seem to end up with a hard-boiled yolk.
    Whats wrong with Tea? It's full of anti-oxidants.

It's not hard and fast but < 4 cups of tea a day = fine. > 4 cups a day and you might want to cut back especially if you don't sleep well.

Parmesan on brocoli is nice, but pesto turns it into a delicious food...Come to think of it, pesto makes anything delicious

Let me find the video...

Great tip. Tried it for the first time tonight. Word of advice however. Don't underboil the eggs, as numnuts here did, or you'll end up with exploded gooey yolk all over your hands. Live and learn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

sweetthing wrote: »
    Great tip. Tried it for the first time tonight. Word of advice however. Don't underboil the eggs, as numnuts here did, or you'll end up with exploded gooey yolk all over your hands. Live and learn!

lol been there!

sweetthing wrote: »
    Great tip. Tried it for the first time tonight. Word of advice however. Don't underboil the eggs, as numnuts here did, or you'll end up with egg on your face. Live and learn!

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

For perfectly boiled eggs every time, get your self one of these "yolks" ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Egg-Perfect-Colour-Changing-Timer/dp/B0000CFGB5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367881568&sr=8-2&keywords=egg+boil

Works every time!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Egg-Perfect-Colour-Changing-Timer/dp/B0000CFGB5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367881568&sr=8-2&keywords=egg+boil

Works every time!!!

yes, they are good. Left mine on the windowsill tho and the sun bleached the colour from it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Works every time!!!

Love mine, found it in the 2 Euro shop so saved on postage.

The 2 Euro shop is great for kitchen stuff, got some lovely ramekins in there that I use all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Love my egg timer as well! It's great for doing up batches of hard boiled eggs without having to figure out the ideal cooking time. I never get grey yolks anymore.

The ones you get in the Euro shops are ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Mushroom Burger Buns. Pity I hate mushrooms :(

picv5tZHx.jpg

Advertisement