Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Beauty Bloggers. Mod note in Post 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

wow great to find so many Irish blogs to read...
    I am a HUGE nail polish addict, so happy to see some Irish blogs with their opinions, there aren't enough.

I have tried to get my blog going and I'm just so insecure about it, and how ****ty my pictures are but I'll keep trying and possibly get there, eventually :)

I love some UK nail blogs:

www.lucysstash.com
    www.holographic-hussy.com

And some US ones:
    www.thepolishaholic.com
    www.polishaddict.com
    www.vampyvarnish.com

I could go on.... lol

mine is irishnailaddict.blogspot.ie (go easy on me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Why is it worrying? The PR person should be doing their job and making sure people know what the embargo means, they shouldn't be sending something that would result in them being fired to someone untrusted and they should know that a blacklist means very little to an amateur blogger. If someone is in a position to damage a launch that much they shouldn't be part of the launch. And if they weren't in a position to damage the launch then the client was being melodramatic and the PR agent isn't handling them very well.

This is a traditional problem with any consumer industry with a press following relying on hand outs and samplers ending up at the mercy of a small group of PR companies who can destroy a commercial site for a single mistake, and even for simple bad reviews. Blogs are in the perfect place to counter this, there are even former "journalists" going to the blogging system independently. And this is part of the death of traditional media. Where once the press were the only people with access, blogging meant anyone had access. Traditional press then decided the way they would beat the bloggers was by having total coverage of the industry, and that hasn't worked out either because their total coverage means that any gaps in their reporting (from one company blacklisting then) results in their strategy failing. An even better thing from blogging has meant that people can start small. They only need to cover what the want and can afford to buy for themselves. Internet revenues are now getting to a point that they can support someone blogging at least part-time, and buying a quite substantial amount of product.

Bloggers have stopped businesses from having total control over the product, people are now willing to wait for their favourite blogger to buy something from a store. And there are plenty of bloggers who maintain they don't accept free products, say they'll always indicate when they have been given something and a lot of them take the view that they can send all the free stuff they want but if it's crap they simply won't mention it.

Blogging has freed up coverage of pretty much every consumer industry in the western world. And with fashion and makeup the likes of independent and home manufacturers are becoming increasingly more viable as blogging erodes at the controls the big names have. This has been a huge threat to the big names and some haven't kept pace with what's happening. And I would imagine part of that would be a brand threatening to fire a PR agent because a blogger (and a blogger who didn't know what an embargo was) broke an embargo. If that's the type of person they're sending things to the business is going to suffer a lot.

That's all very true, it's just very tricky. I would like to send some product to anyone who is willing to invest the time and review it, but I could get flack from traditional media for giving the same to a blogger as I would to them. I have heard that print journalists are blacklisting anyone who is perceived to giving too much to online outlets. And then the client is questioning why a blogger with a few hundred followers has received the same as someone with a massive readership?

But after that mistake, I am extremely wary of sending new products to bloggers unless the bigger names have already covered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I am a HUGE nail polish addict, so happy to see some Irish blogs with their opinions, there aren't enough.

I have tried to get my blog going and I'm just so insecure about it, and how ****ty my pictures are but I'll keep trying and possibly get there, eventually :)

www.lucysstash.com

And some US ones:
    www.thepolishaholic.com
    www.polishaddict.com
    www.vampyvarnish.com

I could go on.... lol

I love your blog dancing queen! :D It's amazing, i love nail polishes too and I am so jealous of all yours! Your NOTD's are fantastic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

www.lucysstash.com

And some US ones:
    www.thepolishaholic.com
    www.polishaddict.com
    www.vampyvarnish.com

I could go on.... lol

Yay, delighted to find a new Irish nail blog, I love nails!
    Love beauty blogs as well so it's good to have some new ones to check out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kimannabella

I must admit that I am loving this thread-it has forced my hand from lurking boards to actually posting on it!

I am a student makeup artist (mature-30 this year, ha!), my blog isn't product based- I am just posting my looks and how I created them. I used to work in Archaeology before the boom, and have a degree in Art History so I'l try to find out as much as I can about an era before I attempt a make up of it.

Did around 45 looks since september, hopefully reading other people's blogs will spur me on to actually posting them.

http://kimannabellamua.blogspot.com/

P.S. I hope you all don't think I'm creepy or something, am systematically adding all the blogs posted on here. Wasn't too gone on blogging before but I love the idea of having local-ish hobbyists/mua's to converse with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bananabuster

Hi girls! (and guys if theres any lurking around!)

This is such a great thread-I have been looking into starting up a beauty/lifestyle blog for months now but I just need a good kick up the you- know-what to dedicate some time aside and get writing!

I am a total newbie to all of this tho so was hoping (if its allowed) if maybe you could answer afew of my questions either here or pm either?? They may be completely obvious answers and I know a blog is about writing about anything and everything you want but im just worried I suppose of the power of the web and putting myself out there i guess!

1. When reviewing products: Do you have to get permission from the particular company to write about their product and similarly for a service say for example you were writing about a new type of facial do you have to ask before go in and then you write about your experience at said location?

2. Would you get in any trouble if you posted a negative review about something or should it all be fairly unbiased? I understand that a blog is generally based on personal opinion but at the same time you dont want to be getting involved in anything messy if you badmouthed something based on your view?

I think they are my main two questions so far anyway! I hope i dont sound like a total numpty but im just always so wary of the internet! If anyone has any other tips/advice you think i should know or would like to share i would appreciate it so much! By the way i have been trawling through all of your blogs and the amount of hard work and creativity that clearly goes into them is so inspiring-so proud that they are all good home-grown Irish blogs too-keep up the good work everyone!
    Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hi girls! (and guys if theres any lurking around!)

This is such a great thread-I have been looking into starting up a beauty/lifestyle blog for months now but I just need a good kick up the you- know-what to dedicate some time aside and get writing!

I am a total newbie to all of this tho so was hoping (if its allowed) if maybe you could answer afew of my questions either here or pm either?? They may be completely obvious answers and I know a blog is about writing about anything and everything you want but im just worried I suppose of the power of the web and putting myself out there i guess!

1. When reviewing products: Do you have to get permission from the particular company to write about their product and similarly for a service say for example you were writing about a new type of facial do you have to ask before go in and then you write about your experience at said location?

2. Would you get in any trouble if you posted a negative review about something or should it all be fairly unbiased? I understand that a blog is generally based on personal opinion but at the same time you dont want to be getting involved in anything messy if you badmouthed something based on your view?

I think they are my main two questions so far anyway! I hope i dont sound like a total numpty but im just always so wary of the internet! If anyone has any other tips/advice you think i should know or would like to share i would appreciate it so much! By the way i have been trawling through all of your blogs and the amount of hard work and creativity that clearly goes into them is so inspiring-so proud that they are all good home-grown Irish blogs too-keep up the good work everyone!
    Thanks in advance!!

Always give your honest opinion is the short answer! I buy products to review and am lucky enough to get sent a lot of products to review and they're all treated the same, if they're good great, if not then they'll fall into one of 3 categories:

a - They're not great and therefore not really worth the review so I won't write about them at all as I prefer writing about products I like

b - They're bad enough that I really do need to write about it and tell people what I think

c - They have good points and bad points so I'll write a review that weighs up the pros and cons. For example, foundations are very tricky on my skin so I'll say it wasn't the best on me but may work far better on skin that isn't so dry etc.

Different bloggers have different approaches so it's all about what suits you. Please feel free to PM me with any other questions though, always happy to help!

I love your blog dancing queen! :D It's amazing, i love nail polishes too and I am so jealous of all yours! Your NOTD's are fantastic!!

Oh wow - that is so super sweet, thank you! :D
    I am very not 100% in love with it but I can only try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cathug10

I think that you should start a blog if you're really passionate about something. So if any of you are really into something (not necessarily beauty) then give it a go. It can't hurt.

I am seriously loving all these blogs. They're all so pretty.

I started a blog not 24 hours ago and would love some advice on how to make it better.

http://asleepingpersonbeauty.tumblr.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

This is such a fantastic thread! I have found some great Irish blogs here. I have also recently started a fashion and beauty (and sometime lifestyle!) blog! I LOVE it! But it does take a lot of work! My blog is:
    www.glamourandgo.com

I have been reading and following bloggers for years. Here are my favourite Irish blogs:
    www.annasaccone.com
    www.vivaadonis.com
    www.makeupmonster.ie (amazing SmokeyEyes it looks so professional!)
    www.anouskaproettabrandon.com
    www.fitznbitz.com
    www.littlekivasblog.blogspot.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

Well done to all the ladies on here who have posted their blogs, great to see so many Irish ones. They are just brilliant for seeing the exact price in our money, where to get the products, swatches to see correct the colour and most importantly unbiased reviews and not the PR spin from make-up companies, telling us their new product will change civilisation as we know it.

I know a lot of my friends follow Irish blogs but I've even got mum switched on to them now !

Keep up the good work ladies, you have saved me wasting a lot of time effort and money on products whose hype I probably would have fallen for :)

It is fab to see so many Irish blogs
    I know I follow some UK/US blogs but a lot of blogs I follow (especially in relation to nail polish) are very biased because they get products for free. I find this incorrect info. Yes they may make a polish look amazing on their perfectly manicured nails but they don't talk about the consistency as much, or if it's horrible to apply.

I know my blog is new, and my nails are nowhere near as easy on the eye but I do feel it's important to have Irish blogs, and to have an Irish blogging community. We often become overshadowed in the bigger, fancier, UK/US blogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Finally took the plunge and created my first blog! This is something I've been thinking of doing since I was about 15 but thanks to this thread I've finally started it. Thanks guys!!

So far its just a brief look over my makeup collection but I'd LOVE some feedback. Thanks

http://toomanyfreckles.blogspot.ie/

sibby wrote: »
    Finally took the plunge and created my first blog! This is something I've been thinking of doing since I was about 15 but thanks to this thread I've finally started it. Thanks guys!!

So far its just a brief look over my makeup collection but I'd LOVE some feedback. Thanks

http://toomanyfreckles.blogspot.ie/

I want to follow you! Go into your blog layout and add a GFC button! Also I love cats too lol :D

Hahaha think I've enabled followers now...thanks so much for your help :)

• Advertisement

Yep! Following! :D

My blog is one month old now, and I was thinking what other sort of posts could i do other than reviewing products? I tried something different, and I did a post where my niece did my make up. What do you guys think? Apart from product reviews, what other interesting posts do you like to read?

http://ziegfeldgirlbeauty.blogspot.com

Thanks for that Ziegfeldgirl27. You're a star. Btw your niece was excellent at doing your makeup!

I know I personally LOVE reading makeup tutorials and seeing how other people do their makeup. If that's any help to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Alainn Beauty MUA

i started my blog about 2 months ago but didn't posted anything until now because i find it hard to write good grammar and cant write what i think in my head if that makes sense. this thread gave me inspiration seen all the blogs so i starting my blog with a 101 of preping skin for makeup,boring but i think a lot of people look past this and just slap on make up. anyways heres my blog http://alainnbeautymua.blogspot.ie/ any feedback welcome. going to look at the blogs posted for the night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Ziegfeldgirl27, I loved the post on your niece doing your make up! My sisters are always trying to practise on me & I find it so hard to let them do what they want.

You could do tutorials, etc as well as reviews if you wanted to share looks :)

I keep messing with my layout & style, but I get to the stage where it's annoying me & I'll never be happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

So I've basically gone through this entire thread and followed everyone I wasn't already following! I love the Irish beauty blogging community. I have made so many friends and I think it's great that we are holding our own, with so many fabulous blogs! :D

Redappple and Alainn Beauty MUA do ye have a GFC follow button on your blogs?

Stargirl.gra I just love your NOTD!! your nails are always so fab! :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

My blog is http://girlfridaysbeautyblog.wordpress.com/

Would love some feedback. I'm not great on all the technical stuff. It's a real hobby for me.

i went thur almost all the blogs here ,nice to see products that i actually can buy in Ireland and irish prices too ,fair play to ye all taking the time out to do it , i only done one post and it take me ages without proper pictures and all. thanks nurse88 im really excited to get into the blogging world now , i had the follow button on but i just went into there and it wouldnt work , dono whats up with it will have a look. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Hey ladies, thank ye all so much for all the follows lately. I really appreciate every single one of them! I always feel bad that I don't have as many followers as other bloggers (I know it's not about n umbers but honestly it's hard not to compare a lot of the time) but ye really make my day x

Love all the fab new blogs I'm discovering with this thread!:)

If you girls are on twitter let me know as well cause it's a great place for bloggers to chat and swap hints, tips, trivia, the lot!

https://twitter.com/Ktmarielarkin

Thats my twitter page if anyone would like to follow. I'd love to start talking to some other bloggers on it!

nursemar88 wrote: »
    So I've basically gone through this entire thread and followed everyone I wasn't already following! I love the Irish beauty blogging community. I have made so many friends and I think it's great that we are holding our own, with so many fabulous blogs! :D

Redappple and Alainn Beauty MUA do ye have a GFC follow button on your blogs?

Stargirl.gra I just love your NOTD!! your nails are always so fab! :)

I use Wordpress so it has an email subscription instead of GFC. I am finding it hard to locate the code for a GFC button - any other Wordpress users here that have the button installed? I really love the finish of WordPress but they really make you work for everything!!!!!!

Does anyone else use bloglovin'? I find that much better! All your blogs in one place! It's a handy resource for following blogs and as a blogger it's nice to have your blog there! Here is a link to my blog on bloglovin' for anyone who is new to it:
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4774263/glamour-go

redappple wrote: »
    I use Wordpress so it has an email subscription instead of GFC. I am finding it hard to locate the code for a GFC button - any other Wordpress users here that have the button installed? I really love the finish of WordPress but they really make you work for everything!!!!!!

Does anyone else use bloglovin'? I find that much better! All your blogs in one place! It's a handy resource for following blogs and as a blogger it's nice to have your blog there! Here is a link to my blog on bloglovin' for anyone who is new to it:
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4774263/glamour-go

Yeah GFC got rid of their installation for wordpress but I did come across a site not so long ago that had a way of getting around it but it involved tinkering with the code of the website! If I find it I'll post it here! I don't use GFC but I do use Bloglovin and Hellocotton which I adore!

My bloglovin is http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3788875/make-up-monster and my Hellocotton is http://www.hellocotton.com/mypage/makeupmonster and I should have linked to my Twitter too earlier, it's https://twitter.com/makeupmonster_

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

there's a few blogs that I love but forget to check because they're not on GF, then I have to catch up on loads of posts!
    I think I'm following most people here on twitter but mine is https://twitter.com/_ChloePower_ :)

Here is my twitter, I've started following you ladies :)
    https://twitter.com/IrishNailAddict

hi girls can some one tell me how to put the follow button on , iv tired decoding and it keep giving me 404 error. thankies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

Hi, I'm just starting to blog, at the moment it's a fashion blog but I'm sure there'll be some beauty posts once my blogging skills progress :) It's
    http://www.theworldinmywardrobe.blogspot.ie/

And my twitter is https://twitter.com/MissColetteL I've started following you guys!

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Has anyone any tags they would like to see done or any posts they particularly like? Hoping to do a few posts this weekend and looking for some inspiration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Hello everyone.

Said I would stick up my link now that I'm back blogging :) I'm going to have a good look through your blogs now and follow them :) I know a few of your blogs already especially SmokeyEyes :)

My Website

My Twitter

I use bloglove, hellocotten etc. and my name is the same :)

Also can users let me know if they are on Instagram. I adore following bloggers on Instagram :D

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Said I would stick up my link now that I'm back blogging :) I'm going to have a good look through your blogs now and follow them :) I know a few of your blogs already especially SmokeyEyes :)

My Website

My Twitter

Also can users let me know if they are on Instagram. I adore following bloggers on Instagram :D
    Already following you and love the blog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

My Website

My Twitter

Love the name of your blog.lol. Following now!

finally figured out how to get the follow button , have a new post up with a haul from the beauty show :Dhttp://alainnbeautymua.blogspot.ie/

finally figured out how to get the follow button , have a new post up with a haul from the beauty show :Dhttp://alainnbeautymua.blogspot.ie/

Are you on Wordpress? I haven't figured it out yet! Did you find a webpage that helped with the code or something?

Thanks in advance!

Are you on Wordpress? I haven't figured it out yet! Did you find a webpage that helped with the code or something?

Thanks in advance!

no im on blogger but i had to add a gadget and search for follow the site. hopefully it might be the same on wordpress. :D

no im on blogger but i had to add a gadget and search for follow the site. hopefully it might be the same on wordpress. :D

Okey dokes thanks anyway!

• Advertisement

ok following a long and confusing conversation on Twitter I decided to join Bloglovin' and Hellocotton! If anyone would like to check out my pages here they are:http://www.bloglovin.com/highlifeofmars and http://www.hellocotton.com/mypage/highlifeofmars

It's so new to me and I'm not really sure how they work yet! :P

I was at the trade show on monday too, got a nice wee haul out of it! I went for a chair and instead came out with a bunch of new products but then that's half the fun of the show really.
    IMG_3525.JPG

MUA Blog-http://kimannabellamua.blogspot.ie/
    Twitter Account-https://twitter.com/kimannabella

Hi Everyone as some of you might know I have struggled with trying to get a GFC button for my Wordpress blog. Today I have read that Google will soon be closing down the GFC button so people are being advised to get their readers to follow them on Bloglovin' instead! Just thought I would let you all know!

Yeah I only managed to get GFC last week so it's not a big loss for me but will be a hassle for a lot of big GFC users! Through Bloglovin' you can import your reader list from GFC now so you never have to lose anyone on your readers list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Okay bloggers! Less than three months to IMATS in London, I'm heading over for the two days. Would love to meet some more Irish bloggers is anyone going over themselves?

Really really wish I could go! Hope you have a really great time! Can't wait to hear about what you get!!

• Advertisement

Ooh, have fun at the IMATS!

At long last I have gone through the entire thread and added/followed all the threads! So if your wondering who the creepy Glamour&Go person following you on Twitter is, it's me! If anyone had any links on their blog, Twitter, FB, Bloglovin etc I followed/added you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

At long last I have gone through the entire thread and added/followed all the threads! So if your wondering who the creepy Glamour&Go person following you on Twitter is, it's me! If anyone had any links on their blog, Twitter, FB, Bloglovin etc I followed/added you!!

Haha I was on your blog today after you followed through twitter! thanks for following :)

[SNIP]

Blog is going really well, didn't expect so many views or followers so soon!

But I wanted to ask one thing. A lot of blogs I have looked at review the latest, most expensive products and I really can't afford anything like that. Essence is my favourite brand but I feel like I review their products far too much and they are not available to everyone. I would love my blog to appeal to a wider audience, but looking at my blog do you think I review far too much budget products?

Also wanted to ask about blogger meet ups! I would love to go to one, how do you know when there are any meetups planned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

[SNIP]

Blog is going really well, didn't expect so many views or followers so soon!

But I wanted to ask one thing. A lot of blogs I have looked at review the latest, most expensive products and I really can't afford anything like that. Essence is my favourite brand but I feel like I review their products far too much and they are not available to everyone. I would love my blog to appeal to a wider audience, but looking at my blog do you think I review far too much budget products?

Also wanted to ask about blogger meet ups! I would love to go to one, how do you know when there are any meetups planned?
    Please stop posting a link to your blog. Once is enough. You can put a link in your sig. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement