Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair styling product

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Just ordered Wella Fix Matte Moulding Creme, was recommended to it by a barber

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

AMerican Crew fiber and Gatsby Pink are the best ones i've come across and they are very similar. Dax wax red is very good too if you don't mind the ridiculously hard to wash out part or the greasy look(which suits spiky hair in fairness)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Just bought American crew fiber after reading this thread so thanks for the tip!

Anyone with medium length hair should try bed head manipulator made by TIGI.Really good stuff and it smells delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Red dax is the only stuff that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

cul-2008 wrote: »
    Could never find anything that suited me until a recent trip to a barbers in Limerick I found through the twitter. Only spot in Ireland to sell Layrite, made in the USA and is the perfect substitute to wax - washes straight out and smells great.

Have a look at www.layrite.com to give you a taste of pricing. Cost me €15 but the smallest bit does it. I use the deluxe pomade and highly recommend it for a great hold. I'm guessing it's in a similar league to Crew which I've never tried, but have no intention now. This one is for keeps.

Johnnys! I'm a regular customer in there, he's planning to launch it here in Ireland. Has Paul Galvin and some of the Munster team using it now so he does.

Use the matte clay myself, it's great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

PingO_O wrote: »
    Just bought American crew fiber after reading this thread so thanks for the tip!

Anyone with medium length hair should try bed head manipulator made by TIGI.Really good stuff and it smells delicious!

Where do you get this ?

I got it off www.feelunique.com

The tub looks small enough and i have thick hair but it does last ages.

It's about 10 sterling on there now I think but I found it was well worth it for my hair anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's about 10 sterling on there now I think but I found it was well worth it for my hair anyway.

The tubs last ages alright you don't need to use all that much of it when applying

D'Agger wrote: »
    The tubs last ages alright you don't need to use all that much of it when applying

No, and unless the wind absolutely batters your hair the style tends to hold all day which is cool

So this stuff is the bees knees ?

Whats it like for texture, does it add a bit, thinken as such. Or ir just a pure holding/style product?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Is this it?

How long would a tub last? What is it? Gel, wax or fibre?

Yep that's the one, I think it's brilliant anyway, there's some vids on youtube that review it they'd probably describe it better than I could. You only need a small bit worked into your hands and then more depending on what you're doing so it does last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Use SWEET15 to get 15% off until Friday.

Cheers.

I assume you've ordered off that site before, what are delivery times likes, a week or so?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Cheers.

I assume you've ordered off that site before, what are delivery times likes, a week or so?

Yeh they're quite reasonable, about a week or thereabouts although I've only bought a few things, they send you an email when your product is dispatched which is kinda nice if you want an idea of when you'll get it, yeh can't complain :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

The other half keeps complaining I dont look after myself :-)

Anyhow, use to use a product called route66 many moons ago, gave a wet look (to hid the greys) and wasnt too sticky. It was a sort of paraffin wax from what I can recall. Not on the market these days.

My hair is naturally dry looking. Can anybody recommend a suitable alternative?

Thanks
    W.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Earlier in this thread I was hooting and hollering about how good the V05 Matt Clay is. I still stand by that.

But, I decided to switch things up one day and bought V05 Matt Fibre. I'm very impressed with this stuff.

The Fibre tends to be better for shorter hair, but as it grows, i switch to the Clay as it has a better hold over the course of the day.

Best thing about these products is that the wash out so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

The other half keeps complaining I dont look after myself :-)

Anyhow, use to use a product called route66 many moons ago, gave a wet look (to hid the greys) and wasnt too sticky. It was a sort of paraffin wax from what I can recall. Not on the market these days.

My hair is naturally dry looking. Can anybody recommend a suitable alternative?

Thanks
    W.

Dax wax red is pretty much just paraffin wax. It gives a slight wet look and doesnt look greasy provided you dont use too much of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

American Crew Fibre is brilliant, I finish off my styling with a Bed Head hairspray as it keeps the hold well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

• Advertisement

Purple dax. It's totally different to the blue and red ones which are too thick and slimy. This one is water-based and really good. Doesn't leaver your hair greasy like the other ones. Can be hard to find in shops these days as they generally only sell the inferior red and blue ones but you can easily get it on ebay.

http://therebelrouser.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/pomade-review-dave-super-neat/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

glasso wrote: »
    Purple dax. It's totally different to the blue and red ones which are too thick and slimy. This one is water-based and really good. Doesn't leaver your hair greasy like the other ones. Can be hard to find in shops these days as they generally only sell the inferior red and blue ones but you can easily get it on ebay.

http://therebelrouser.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/pomade-review-dave-super-neat/
    Thought purple dax was outstanding when I first used it - I was a good bit younger but still! If it rains or enough water gets to it, it won't hold and will actually leave you with clumps of it in your hair.

My own experience from it anyway

D'Agger wrote: »
    Thought purple dax was outstanding when I first used it - I was a good bit younger but still! If it rains or enough water gets to it, it won't hold and will actually leave you with clumps of it in your hair.

My own experience from it anyway

if you put it on when your hair is damp and rub it in well I find it to be very good. I like the fact that it's light in texture. some of those clays and gums are just too thick...

Advertisement