Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair styling product

Options
  • 31-01-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Whats your favourite ?

I currently use the Fishfibre. Easy to wash out and i only need a wee bit to get a decent hold. However it can leave my hair a bit dull looking.
    I dont like gel or wax type products as they can leave your head looking 'scalpy' (if you get me.)

Im thinking of changing, so does anyone use a product that looks to thicken the hair a bit, but not leave it too dull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

Red Dax wax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

L'Oreal racial gel. I've been using it for 5 years, no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

American crew fiber. Its pricey at over €10 but miles better than anything else I've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

D'Agger wrote: »
    American crew fiber. Its pricey at over €10 but miles better than anything else I've used.

I think I've used this before. Used to buy it from the barber but go somewhere else now.
    Never seen it any shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Slattsy wrote: »

I think I've used this before. Used to buy it from the barber but go somewhere else now.
    Never seen it any shops.

You can get it in most hair places, I know loads of barber places stock it.

I use hair shaper from Waldorf Barbershop- it's their own recipe the current owners found in amongst a load of papers they went through when they bought the place. The hold is pretty good, washes out easily and it smells amazing. I love it. I also don't need too much (I have a short style with a part and a low pomp)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Whatevers cheapest in Tesco's :D Normally Brylcreem wet look gel

Never seen it any shops.
    It'd be mainly barbers who stock it. Get mine from Boston Barbers in Cork

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

+1 on American Crew products. I used to use the Pomade, but got a bit tired of the shine to it. The fibre is great and I've only ever seen it in barber shops in Ireland.

But, Vo5 Matt Clay is your friend if you want a cost effective product that doesnt leave your hair gleaming like John Travolta in Grease.

http://www.boots.com/en/VO5-Extreme-Style-Matt-Clay_14730/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I always use Fish products and its changes depending on the occasion or length of my hair.. Their wax, clay and putty are all excellent. Been to the actual barbers itself a few times.. really nice trendy little place in Soho. They are expensive but good.. its crazy to realise that such a big brand comes off the back of such a small barber shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

V05 matt clay. Hate the wet look and only need a tiny bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    +1 on American Crew products. I used to use the Pomade, but got a bit tired of the shine to it. The fibre is great and I've only ever seen it in barber shops in Ireland.

But, Vo5 Matt Clay is your friend if you want a cost effective product that doesnt leave your hair gleaming like John Travolta in Grease.

http://www.boots.com/en/VO5-Extreme-Style-Matt-Clay_14730/

Same exact pattern with me. Had the pomade and it was good until I switched to fiber for a change. It's much better. Expensive but it lasts and it's hard to go back to cheaper products like brylcreem once you're used to it.

The tea tree product they have/had was useless stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've used almost every brand and type of hair product over the years.

Currently, I'm using vo5 Extreme Style - Surf Style. It's all right. It's effectiveness all depends on the length of my hair and the wetness/dryness of it. If they're all on par then it's great. If not then it's pure useless.

I'd like to get some of the American Crew products. Couldn't justify buying them at the moment though. Might get them some time next year.

One of my friends was over a few weeks ago and he left the vo5 texturising gum in my room. I must give it a shot tomorrow to see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I use Toni and Guy Styling fibre myself you can get it in Boots. I find it very easy to work, has a matte finish and it smells kinda like honey. Its about the same price as American Crew. I used to order American Crew from their own website as you usually can get a free small bottle of shampoo with your order by using one of their discount codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

+1 VO5 Matt great product!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

I use Sam's Barbers Tea Tree Shaping Cream. Only need a small bit for short to medium lenght hair and it works really well. It holds nicely and usually only needs 1 wash to get it out. Plus unlike dax wax or the stronger ones, you don't need to to be digging your fingers into your hair/scalp to work it around. Also I know a lot of other products tend to leave the little bits of white crap all over the shop, doesn't really happen with me unless I'm tossing and turning all night. I normally wash my hair twice anyway so it's prefect. It's quite expensive though. You'll pay maybe 14 - 16 euro for 100g tub. The good thing is it lasts though because you're only using small amounts. I don't know anyone else that uses this stuff but I'm sure there's a few people on here that do.

Oh ya also just remembered they were supposed to be bringing out a shampoo/hair gel 2 in 1 thing. That was ages ago, so it should be out by now but haven't checked up on it.

The lads were saying there about the clay stuff, few of my friends in Vancouver use what's called putty. I never tried it but supposed to be great, maybe give it a google search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

An Cigire wrote: »
    +1 VO5 Matt great product!

How people use that Matt Clay is beyond me! Bought it thinking it would be great but I find it just causes hair to stick in clumps, it dries very quickly and for that reason I can never get any style with it!:confused:

Go in the Sams Barbers and ask them for a sample, try it out and see what ya think.

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Go in the Sams Barbers and ask them for a sample, try it out and see what ya think.
    Not sure where that is, but it doesn't sound like its around Mayo anyway?

Ahh jasus I don't think so, give em a quick google, there's 3 or 4 around Dublin, they might have 1 down there. You could always order some off the net.

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Ahh jasus I don't think so, give em a quick google, there's 3 or 4 around Dublin, they might have 1 down there. You could always order some off the net.

I have some...I just find it useless and hard to use!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh I thought you meant you had the matt clay stuff. Ahh sure there's plenty of products out there you'll find one eventually.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

How people use that Matt Clay is beyond me! Bought it thinking it would be great but I find it just causes hair to stick in clumps, it dries very quickly and for that reason I can never get any style with it!:confused:
    That happens if your hair is too wet when applying, or if you are putting on too much is what i found from experience.
    Towel dry hair and only a small amount required. If you want a semi wet look, leave your hair a little more damp than towel dry.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    That happens if your hair is too wet when applying, or if you are putting on too much is what i found from experience.
    Towel dry hair and only a small amount required. If you want a semi wet look, leave your hair a little more damp than towel dry.
    I think that's the case for most. Also if you're hair is too wet it won't stick properly and sometimes ends up just sitting down instead of doing what you want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Interesting thread, needs more posts.

I typically dont wear product. I just walk out the door with my mop, not the ideal situation :)

I use such LITTLE product, that on my shelf is a tub of Shockwaves and brylcreem gel I've had over over ten years. Like holy **** I'm sure there is an expiry date.

I've pretty thick hair, don't have long hair, just a bit of a mop. Get it cut the odd time, but looking for something to deal with both lengths if possible :)

So far have seen a few recommendations for American crew or something, and VO5 MATT, any other recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Tresemme Back Comb Dust is awesome. It's only around E4 a bottle (10g) but lasts forever and only takes a minute to style. It's excellent for a super matt look with a strong hold.

http://www.superdrug.com/content/ebiz/superdrug/invt/619384/619384_l.jpg

I was using the blue American Crew but prefer this!

CWF wrote: »
    Tresemme Back Comb Dust is awesome. It's only around E4 a bottle (10g) but lasts forever and only takes a minute to style. It's excellent for a super matt look with a strong hold.

http://www.superdrug.com/content/ebiz/superdrug/invt/619384/619384_l.jpg

I was using the blue American Crew but prefer this!

I've never seen that anyway in Ireland !

I've never seen that anyway in Ireland !
    Yeah can't say I've ever seen that around my locality anyway.

I would assume it can be bought online but personally, I like American Crew so don't see myself changing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Presuming that's the powdered stuff you can get variations of it here from other manufacturers.

Such as ?

Advertisement