Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair styling product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I picked up something from Loreal there during the week, its some kinda matte clay stuff in a bottle.

Have to say pretty impressed, holds all day, doesn't have the wet look and doesn't flake or any of that messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Slattsy wrote: »
    I've never seen that anyway in Ireland !

I got in Boots in the UK, I'd be very surprised if you can't get it in Ireland in this day and age.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

D'Agger wrote: »
    Yeah can't say I've ever seen that around my locality anyway.

I would assume it can be bought online but personally, I like American Crew so don't see myself changing.

There is a shop in Swords Pavillions that stock American Crew in case you get stuck. I think it's some sort of salon supplier but also is for the general public. It's beside Schuh, i didnt get a chance to look in properly as I have my lunatic kids with me at the time.

they might even have that powder stuff as well.

There is a Schwarzkopf Matt Clay or Putty that I got once upon a time that is decent as well. But I bought that in Berlin and havent seen it stocked anywhere here.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

I've never seen that anyway in Ireland !

Boots have it. I use it all the time.

Other variations are L'Oreal 'Super Dust' & Schwarzkopf something or other.

Also use Keune modelling clay from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

KoukiKeith wrote: »

Boots have it. I use it all the time.

Other variations are L'Oreal 'Super Dust' & Schwarzkopf something or other.

Also use Keune modelling clay from time to time.

Are you sure?
    Generally get all my stuff in Boots, never seen it.

Are you sure?
    Generally get all my stuff in Boots, never seen it.

Yup. Well, down here in Cork anyway. Try some of the larger stores :)

http://www.boots.com/en/Tresemme-Texture-Style-Backcomb-Dust-10g_1282789/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭ashers222

I use "Hair tonic", think it's by infinity it's an old school oil based product that also conditions the scalp. I only use a tiny tiny bit though as a little goes a long way. I find it easier to apply than any of the creams or waxes and it does actually feel really good..and treats your hair and scalp too. Not sure how widely available it is in the shops but I'm sure it's available online somewhere.

and lots of hairspray :P

I found it!
    Sure wasn't it in the wimmins section with all the hairspray stuffs.

It says on the pack to finish it with hairspray???? Surely you don't do that.

I found it!

a lot of those products are great for shaping and styling but it's not going to last all day. If your just going to work or doing daily stuff just use the powder, if you're heading out for the night a spritz of hairspray will hold it. (women with long hair will use it for volume and it would need to be held with hairspray)

• Advertisement

ashers222 wrote: »
    a lot of those products are great for shaping and styling but it's not going to last all day. If your just going to work or doing daily stuff just use the powder, if you're heading out for the night a spritz of hairspray will hold it.

Hairspray will make the hair go hard though. And i hate gel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 JasonBrody

I used to use Crew, have since changed to Osmo, great product and I find its a little better than crew as well. It smells delicious so thats a plus too!

http://www.sleekhair.com/16303.html

JasonBrody wrote: »
    I used to use Crew, have since changed to Osmo, great product and I find its a little better than crew as well. It smells delicious so thats a plus too!

http://www.sleekhair.com/16303.html

That site looks good.
    Do you order off it often?

Hairspray will make the hair go hard though. And i hate gel.
    There's a lot of different hairsrprays out there, some are stronger hold than others but it should be ok to use a spritz of it. I mean if you're going to be running your hand through your hair a lot then you will notice it but if it's for an occasion it should be ok. I don't like gels either, I used wax for years but it left my hair feeling greasy and the weight would leave my hair flat and dull. I started using a new hairdresser last year and he said to just use hairspray, which I do but after a year of it my hair has started to feel dry so I use a drop of tonic when styling now and a spritz of hairspray for work or if I'm going out. The tonic is absorbed quickly and my hair holds it's style (and I can run my hands through it too and it only adds to the depth rather than leaving it a mess)

That site looks good.
    Do you order off it often?

Havnt used it before, usually just buy it in the barbers, but now that I found it I think I will use it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

JasonBrody wrote: »
    Havnt used it before, usually just buy it in the barbers, but now that I found it I think I will use it :D
    Thinking the same myself - depending on postage etc. but American Crew is alot cheaper than what I've been paying for it!

D'Agger wrote: »
    Thinking the same myself - depending on postage etc. but American Crew is alot cheaper than what I've been paying for it!

shipping is ridiculous!! 33 dollars, you'd have to be buying a rake of them to sell to make it worth while

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well, there goes that idea out the window!

$33.00 FTW :eek:

I found it!

I don't. I use a very small amount & it lasts all day. I'm in an office environment though so maybe if you're out & about a lot or doing more active work, it might be needed? Although, even after a run I find it's still in place :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Could never find anything that suited me until a recent trip to a barbers in Limerick I found through the twitter. Only spot in Ireland to sell Layrite, made in the USA and is the perfect substitute to wax - washes straight out and smells great.

Have a look at www.layrite.com to give you a taste of pricing. Cost me €15 but the smallest bit does it. I use the deluxe pomade and highly recommend it for a great hold. I'm guessing it's in a similar league to Crew which I've never tried, but have no intention now. This one is for keeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

1357115174-10264-0.jpg&sa=X&ei=AFsyUdi6C4PChAeWk4CoDg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH_so6tssvrW1tPhBJ0DqHVaCVauQ
    VO5 Matt Fibre
    Love this Stuff I wear a short back and sides and a bit long on the top (2-5 inches)
    Pros : Its Like American Crew Fibre in terms of hold and shine etc though not as nice smelling
    Its Cheap Dunnes regulary has this at 3 euro and the dearest ive seen it around is 4 in supermarkets
    Easy to Wash Out
    Cons:Its really thick and a tiny amount works into a lot of paste so use sparingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

natural scalp oil

Got some of this over the weekend.
    I'm really not sure it's done anything. Obviously as a dust I knew it was going be light, but I reckon a small gust of wind will mess it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

At the moment I'm using Grafton Barber cream its quite light, I used Brylcreem for a couple of years, but it began to thin my hair so I stopped.
    Is it ok to use a product and tiny bit of hair spray?
    Leo Bancroft's products looked really good but you can only order them off Tecso and they don't deliver to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the best thing to do is not use any product at all, takes 2months to adapt. hair becomes thicker and can hold a style, it doesnt look greasy. that happens after shampoo when the scalp reacts to the artificial dryness. just a rinse every 2-3 days with warm water in the shower

I havent used shampoo in about 3 years. theres no bad smell either. with damp hair it can be styled then when it dries it holds the shape well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

the best thing to do is not use any product at all, takes 2months to adapt. hair becomes thicker and can hold a style, it doesnt look greasy. that happens after shampoo when the scalp reacts to the artificial dryness. just a rinse every 2-3 days with warm water in the shower

I havent used shampoo in about 3 years. theres no bad smell either. with damp hair it can be styled then when it dries it holds the shape well.

I wouldn't go to the extreme of not shampooing in three years, but I agree with what you're saying.

There is a noticeable difference between putting gel in your hair straight after a shower and waiting a day or two. It seems to catch a bit better.

If I'm going out on a Friday, I will never shampoo my hair that day. Shower yes, but shampoo no. I like to spike my hair up a little and shampooing would result in it just lying flat for the whole night no matter how much gel I put in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Shockwaves Styling (this stuff) putty is brilliant I find. It doesn't clump,and is very manageable wrt styling your hair. I usually finish with hairspray though as it would start to fade throughout the day otherwise.
    Its hard enough to find though. However, most of the larger Tescos sell it for about €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Depends, I alternate my hair from spiked to slicked back, depending on what I'm doing, spiked, I'd use some type of wax, or wax like product, slicked back, I'd use a very strong gel. Though, I don't swear by any certain brands, though, I do stay away from Dax wax, as it's nearly impossible to get off your hands once you're done.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go to the extreme of not shampooing in three years, but I agree with what you're saying.

There is a noticeable difference between putting gel in your hair straight after a shower and waiting a day or two. It seems to catch a bit better.

If I'm going out on a Friday, I will never shampoo my hair that day
    . Shower yes, but shampoo no. I like to spike my hair up a little and shampooing would result in it just lying flat for the whole night no matter how much gel I put in it.

I find this really interesting. As its something i do too, i thought i was the only one :D

But its very true, my hair is very flat after a shampoo. If i wash it well with water it feels that bit thicker, and easier to style.

Advertisement