Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone have their cows out?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

was at a walk this morning, he had his cows out for a while but it was bitterly cold, anyone have theirs out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i had a lad hoof triming this morning and he forgot to close the shed door after him but not a cow left the shed ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i have 24 calved and out for a couple of hours during the day, im on hilly land tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

the only place ours are out is grazing the rape for an hour or two in the morning. I actually have more than enough silage so dont need to push them onto grass as fast as others might

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

whelan1 wrote: »
    was at a walk this morning, he had his cows out for a while but it was bitterly cold, anyone have theirs out?

Did you know Whelan1 that there is a direct correlation between having cows out in this atrocious current weather and the farmers willie size or willie waving ability;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Did you know Whelan1 that there is a direct correlation between having cows out in this atrocious current weather and the farmers willie size or willie waving ability;)

Small man syndrome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha I was expecting Bob to have come out with a smart comment! Anyways I had to bring the Bull and two dry cows up from the sandy field where I was outwintering them, and through afew of the paddocks that are on the grazing block, hmm the milkers will be staying put for now, paddocks would be in a total mess looking at the damage the 3 of them did! Pity as the grass is greening up nicely, and growing well (feckit, I should have got a photo of the grass, Bob even you'd have to admit the grass in those fields is better than any silage :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Going out Monday hopefully would have had them out to day but spend most of it in hospital. Getting on for 20 calved now plenty more in February takes a lot of pressure off once they are out.

If your using back fences on-off grazing temporary roadways your not going to do a whole lot of damage anyway its not as if your locking them into the paddock for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

reminds me of a diss group meeting in mid feburary a few years ago.
    dave arrives in at 12 .00, an hour late. "well dave",says the teagasc man,"have you the cows out". "yes.... just the lame ones"

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

Cows out for past two days here.. 18 calved now..2 heifers to calve tonite...il be black and blue from kicks tomorrow nite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

we have cows accessing on an out door tank if that counts.usually have some out at this time of year however i am going to hold them a bit longer. The fields around me seem dry one day but a shower of rain and it seems to lye a lot more than usual. fields are greening up ok but no sort of cover yet and we will be spreading a few in a week or so if it dries off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Fresh calvers out, winter milkers still in for another while anyway. On off grazing. No cows calved here yet just heifers going well fairly ok in parlour except for one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

delaval wrote: »
    Fresh calvers out, winter milkers still in for another while anyway. On off grazing. No cows calved here yet just heifers going well fairly ok in parlour except for one!!!!

how are they milking

stanflt wrote: »
    how are they milking
    No idea Stan stared calving this week they are only finding their feet, ha done calved with start but seems to be clearing up.Really hope not to lose quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Have 8 calved and lots of grass but conditions are too poor to even think of letting them out.I have a dry farm and as soon as conditions allow (hopefully next monday cows will be turned out by day firstly and night if conditions are ok.They will be allowed back in for some high quality wraps at night and will get beteween 4 and 6 kg of a high maize 18% nut daily depending on yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

see its mostly the milking lads that are talking about getting cows out this early (assume your not in reps then).

we have sucklers and have them out during the day strip grazing beet. Usally leave the 1st calved cows + thier calfs and the bull out on grass full time in early march then leave the rest out on grass after they calf untill all the beet is gone.

Did something similar with the milkers when we had them, but it was usally around mid feb before we let the milking cows out on grass and then staggered the rest until the beet was gone usually around 2nd week in march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Sucklers here...if I let anything out would be calling that rescue helicopter ya see on the telly to lift it back out of field after 5 mins:)....ground conditions v wet up whest,even on 'dry' land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Sucklers here...if I let anything out would be calling that rescue helicopter ya see on the telly to lift it back out of field after 5 mins:)....ground conditions v wet up whest,even on 'dry' land.
    Not much better here and we have a reasonably dry farm, theres floods where ive never seen them before.
    Grass is growing or at least getting greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

there is a strong correlation between tonnes of grass utilized and profit/hectare. anyone that milked cows will understand the value of getting grass into the diet.

yellow50HX wrote: »
    see its mostly the milking lads that are talking about getting cows out this early (assume your not in reps then).

we have sucklers and have them out during the day strip grazing beet. Usally leave the 1st calved cows + thier calfs and the bull out on grass full time in early march then leave the rest out on grass after they calf untill all the beet is gone.

Did something similar with the milkers when we had them, but it was usally around mid feb before we let the milking cows out on grass and then staggered the rest until the beet was gone usually around 2nd week in march.
    Just wondering what has REPS got to do with turnout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

delaval wrote: »
    Just wondering what has REPS got to do with turnout?

Cattle have to be housed for a certain period, usually mid November to early march.

• Advertisement

Cattle have to be housed for a certain period, usually mid November to early march.
    Are you not allowed 1lu/ha outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

In reps and no problem with it, there is a difference between 3&4 in relation to it.

Wires set up and ready to let them out in morn or mon morn.

Had put out the load this morn before I realised how good a day it was shaping up to be

Let it begin

Better get out and measure mon/tue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

spring grazing is all about flexibility no mater what the weather is, have the cows out since this morn and we wouldnt be a dry farm, cows did no damage, there only out for 3 to 4 hrs max, strip wires up, backfence ready and mulitle access points to each paddock and ther be little or no damage done, cows out now may get the urea out once it becomes a bit milder, and the cows thougt bad of coming in stretched out in that sun today, does human and beast good to see them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

ive nearly 60 ready between aut and fresh springs .. its a little harder to let that bunch off in a bang as opposed to a spring situation where a v small number go out first day and any new additions are joining a calm group ...
    i tink i`ll hang on till next week , i think the weather is gettin hardier..
    i agree its good for the soul to see em out ..

its been a long winter even here in the sunny s east:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

case 5150 wrote: »
    spring grazing is all about flexibility no mater what the weather is, have the cows out since this morn and we wouldnt be a dry farm, cows did no damage, there only out for 3 to 4 hrs max, strip wires up, backfence ready and mulitle access points to each paddock and ther be little or no damage done, cows out now may get the urea out once it becomes a bit milder, and the cows thougt bad of coming in stretched out in that sun today, does human and beast good to see them out

I think a lot of beef farmers have a mental block about a few hours out. When they are out, they stay out. How come you never see suckers out for a few hours and in at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I think a lot of beef farmers have a mental block about a few hours out. When they are out, they stay out. How come you never see suckers out for a few hours and in at night?
    Id say due to pure hardship and the fact that most suckler farmers are part timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Big difference I see is that for dairy there is usually only one or two groups of animals whereas in a beef farm there could be 20 different groups that can't be mixed if letting in and out. Also if animals are in there last 60 days of finishing you would get a serious drop in performance over those last 60 days if you let these animal out as they would take the best part of a week for them to adjust to a grass system again. I usually try and get all the sick and lame animals on off grazing as early as possible but this year that can't even happen and also try and get 2 or 3 bunches of animals out for a few hrs, but its very labour intensive putting in and out 3 or 4 groups of animals and borderline worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

We put them out around 4 weeks ago but they spent more of weeks 2 and 3 in than out and really only got going in the past few days. Silage intake is down by around 50% since last weekend. We won't touch concentrate levels for a few weeks yet as I doubt if the grass is as good as good silage yet. We turnout as soon as we can simply for the health and comfort benefits. In the past week the cows would spend more time eating indoors than lying down and would spend a good bit of time outdoors lying down.

20 different groups bob! you must be in a big way and all set stocked. we will let the yearling heifers out mid-february to graze and they will be let back to the shed if weather deterioates, no doubt there is a bit of work putting up fences but with the ufl of spring grass between 1.05-1.15 it is critical to growing animals to grass as early as possible. from looking across the ditch at beef farms there usually is no grass in early spring and they are slow to invest in roadways, paddocks etc. on the other hand good sheep operators always have early grass as they know the value of it.

• Advertisement

We put them out around 4 weeks ago but they spent more of weeks 2 and 3 in than out and really only got going in the past few days. Silage intake is down by around 50% since last weekend. We won't touch concentrate levels for a few weeks yet as I doubt if the grass is as good as good silage yet. We turnout as soon as we can simply for the health and comfort benefits. In the past week the cows would spend more time eating indoors than lying down and would spend a good bit of time outdoors lying down.

silage will rarely test better than grass. unless old unreseeded ground or very heavy covers carried over the winter.

Advertisement