Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She's too skinny...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Skinny people are often admired in a jealous sort of way, there is a perception that they have great will power, are determined, focused, hard working whereas an overweight person is seen as lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well sure it doesn't really matter anyway, she's hot either way!

Back to the topic- I don't really see why it's anyone's business what other peoples sizes are, really. Why does it matter if Claire from Steps is a 16 or not? Why does it matter if someone else is a size 8? And I certainly don't see how anyone can know what someone else is feeling. There is this general agreement that fat people must be miserable, and that's why/ because they're fat. If Claire says she's happy, who are we to say otherwise?

This goes both ways, and I've seen it from both sides. I'm overweight, and have been since I was a teenager. I eat healthily, I'm relatively fit, my cholesterol is grand, same with my sugar levels and blood pressure. But many people would see me and assume I am miserable because I'm overweight, and that I'm about 3 minutes away from getting diabetes or something- which simply isn't true. My mother, on the other hand, was a size 8-10 all of her life. She could eat like a horse and never put on weight. And she hated her body.

Anyone who judges and makes assumptions about people based on what they see is a fool. Fine, perhaps you don't find someone who looks like me attractive. That doesn't really bother me. I don't find women whose bones I can see attractive. I don't think less of them or assume they are unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Malari wrote: »
    Well commenting on dresses is surely acceptable...we are in F&A after all! :)

I do have a genetic propensity to be thin and I like the way my body is naturally. I don't have a huge sweet tooth, so people often comment that I'm "afraid" to eat desserts, etc, when the truth is I mostly just don't really enjoy them. But in addition to a fairly healthy diet and lifestyle I'm just naturally fidgety and I'm always moving so that must be burning calories all the time :pac: I run up and down stairs, apparently have run everywhere since I was a child. So it really bothers me when I'm told I'm "starving myself" to look the way I do.

I'm the same, I'd much rather have a nice starter and main and tbh I think the concept of anythign more than two courses is baffling - where do we put it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Thats an awful sarky remark to make, thin people suffer health problems too, thats the problem with people - that have to be very pass remarkable!

so what if she is or is not a size 16 - is it not her problem and no one else's?

I understand that being obese carries health concerns - but its not for the fat police to tell people, what about the ugly police, the food police, the exercise police, shur it can go on and on and on................

assumptions about what people eat also? yeah sure every fat woman out there is sitting at her desk eating rolls! jeez louise.... stereotypw why doncha

I know skinny people suffer from health issues to, as I said it in the post if you read it correctly :rolleyes:

But I think you will find that someone who doesn't look after there health (whether they be skinny or large) will suffer more health issues then one who does.

She's not a size 16 tho, she is easily a size 20! and it is her problem, she might not be able to control it but she can get some sort of help if she really wanted to.

No every fat woman is not sitting at her desk eating but I can assure that they don't have a healthy lifestyle or get much exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I have a relative who cannot resist commenting on the weight and appearance of every single person she ever meets. Drives me crazy. She has (at differant stages in my life) told me Im too fat and to take some pride in myself, would I not lose weight for my husband. Then whenever I did lose weight she told me not to walk over any drains or Id slip through, and would I not have a sandwich. I have said over and over again that Im not interested in discussing my weight, or the weight of anyone else for that matter. But she persists. I now avoid her company. I dont mind a conversation if someone is genuinely concerned about another, but I really have no time people who comment just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Also read a rather depressing article (will try find the link) a few weeks back saying that the stereotypes that people attach on to those who are overweight (being stupid/lazy/lacking in self control etc) still remain even if that person loses all their excess weight! They will see the person as a fat person "masquerading as skinny" but still with all the "fat" traits. We are a cruel species!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

So much of a woman's self esteem today is tied up with numbers, we gauge ourselves by whether or not we fit into that Topshop size 10 dress, and some people refuse to buy a size 12/14/whatever because they're "not that size". I started ignoring numbered sizes a year ago - a lot of my wardrobe is vintage clothing, and sizes have changed over the years so its easier not to pay attention and I try to use sizes as a general guide when shopping.

My friend is a plus size blogger and she's heard this all before. She's proud to call herself 'fat', she wants to reclaim the word. She will never be a skinny girl, she's aware of the health dangers but why should she hang her head in shame and not enjoy fashion (most shops seems to think plus size women only want to covered themselves up in tents and not be aware of their body). We all have body issues, but shaming other body types won't make us feel any better, or make us a nice person, frankly.

A poster here once told me I was too fat to wear a crop top, they were only for "very skinny women" and then suggested a dated style of jeans to wear with it - if you're going to police what I wear I won't be taking fashion suggestions from you, ta, charming!

I wear what I like and what makes me feel good. I avoid magazines that promote diets and comment on celebrities who gained/lost a pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Madam_X wrote: »
    This issue is a bit more complex. For sure there are times when "She's too skinny" is just jealousy, but otherwise it can be a genuine opinion. E.g. Kiera Knightley. I think she's stunning looking but emaciated. She just is. I'm not saying that to insult her. It doesn't mean I think therefore that overweight is good and "real women have curves" (i.e. are fat).

Kiera Knightley has always been skinny and athletic. There has never been any dramatic weight loss from what I can see .The only reason she looks 'emaciated' in comaprison with other celebrities, is because she doesn't have fake tits. The like's of Jordan,Danni Mingoue etc are probably all the same waist size as Kiera, but their fake breasts give them the illusion of curves.

I would have a very similar body shape to Mischa Barton, tall and skinny with little boobs and bum. I'm sick of this whole 'real women have curves' spiel. I am a real women too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Absolutely sick of this "real woman" shíte. It means fcuk all.

I'm naturally petite. I'm not apologising for it, I don't starve myself at all, and I'm not willing to put up with this "you're too skinny" crap from someone trying to make themselves feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

In fairness, by today's standards, both of those would be classed overweight at the least. Monroe was a size 16.

I think they're probably two of the sexiest bodies ever graced this earth, but I'm just saying.

Size 16? There is no way. I have seen some of her costumes in real life and they are more like a size 10.
    A lot of people who are not fans of Monroe have this misconception that she was "big" but she was not. I don't know where this size 16 comes out of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't know where this size 16 comes out of.
    In vintage sizing, a size 16 can have similar proportions to a modern-day size 10-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

In vintage sizing, a size 16 can have similar proportions to a modern-day size 10-12.

That is true, but to the people on this thread who already mentioned that Monroe wore a 16 I thought they were referring to modern day sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Size 16? There is no way. I have seen some of her costumes in real life and they are more like a size 10.
    A lot of people who are not fans of Monroe have this misconception that she was "big" but she was not. I don't know where this size 16 comes out of.

These are apparently her dressmaker measurements:

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

That's definitely not a size 16 imo.
    I don't think Marilyn would really fit any modern sizes tbh, she was a really extreme hourglass. And her clothes were tailor made, not the same as buying off the rack nowadays.
    http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-last-time-what-size-was-marilyn-monroe

That's definitely not a size 16 imo.
    I don't think Marilyn would really fit any modern sizes tbh, she was a really extreme hourglass. And her clothes were tailor made, not the same as buying off the rack nowadays.

Of course it's not a modern size 16, she'd need about an extra 40-50lbs on her to fit into that! She'd be close to a Vivien of Holloway size 10 - smaller waist and bigger up top. She's also definitely not a 36D bra by modern standards - probably closer to a 26-28 band with a cup in the G-H range.

Ok, ok, I should never have commented on the Marilyn Monroe thing!! Jeez, talk about opening a can of worms!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Those stupid facebook links of overweight girls with the caption "This is how real women look" like wtf! absolute nonsense! Why even post that rubbish, would the same amount of likes stack up if it was a thin girl with the same caption....no there would be uproar.

At the moment I'm a (IMO) a healthy size 10 I eat right and I workout most days. Going back a good few years I dropped to a small size 8...sill had a healthy diet,maybe worked out much more. I was quite happy with my weight and how I looked but what took me back was the amount of people commenting on my size....you lost too much weight...you don't look healthy...you need to eat more...cut back on the gym...seriously don't lose any more because you'll look sick. It really pissed me off, It wasn't as if I was starving myself and for my height would be considered a healthy size/weight.

Seriously would anyone say the opposite of those comments to an overweight girl, hell no!!

People just need to focus on themselves and stop all that "real woman" lark ....we all come in different shapes and sizes, once you're healthy is all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I remember when this one started to appear of Facebook:

tumblr_lyh5juaeXW1r1t1tso1_500.jpg

I was delighted with these responses that surfaced:

tumblr_m8jvjsOATt1r7jz92.jpg

l275G.jpg

when-did-this-become-hotter-than-this-7016-1327628529-56.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

^ Haha ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

When I was very overweight I sure as sugar got people commenting on my size, family members (well meaning), randomers on the street, randomers in pubs, people I worked with (well - one memorable person I worked with who asked 'did I not mind being so huge'). It's not exclusive to slim/skinny people. The only difference I can see is that when it came from non-family members it wasn't presented with that nasty syrupy mock concern that I've heard people say 'oooh, gosh, you're a bit thin aren't you, have you been ill?' to thin friends, it was more of an oink/hey-piggy-piggy thing. I generally think people should live & let live, no one elses weight or body shape is your concern. If someone is genuinely sick from being under or overweight then yes, sure, that's cause for concern for their doctor or family/very close friend but for the most part commenting on someones body shape unasked or rating how women are shaped against some ideal should just be the biggest faux pas.

I find sometimes that people railing against that stupid 'real women have curves' rubbish end up over in 'ugh, fat people are disgusting' territory, be nice if everyone could just mind their own beeswax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Maybe I'm wrong but I think people seem to think it's acceptable to say to someone 'your so skinny'. If some said the someone 'your so fat' people would be horrified.

I don't think either comment is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

mood wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think people seem to think it's acceptable to say to someone 'your so skinny'. If some said the someone 'your so fat' people would be horrified.

I don't think either comment is acceptable.

I agree. Neither is acceptable.

Another thing that bugs me is generalizing people by their size.

At my highest weight I was a size 12. Most people would say 'thats not fat' but I am just over 5 foot. A size 12 most defiantly is overweight and fat for me, for my size.

I agree. Neither is acceptable.

Another thing that bugs me is generalizing people by their size.

At my highest weight I was a size 12. Most people would say 'thats not fat' but I am just over 5 foot. A size 12 most defiantly is overweight and fat for me, for my size.

I agree that height and even muscle need to be kept in mind when thinking about size etc. Size 8 is healthy for someone 5ft 2" but could be under weight for someone over 6ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

To a certain extent frame counts as well. I'm five foot three but very stocky. At my thinnest in the early 90s I was a size 14. This was before sizing changed radically and a 14 was bust 35/36 waist 25/26 and hips 37/38. I had developed an eating disorder and was painfully thin, with ribs that stuck out through my clothing.

That's not to say that this size wouldn't be suitable or even a little too large for other women of the same height.

On the subject of sizes, I remember back in the 80s when a size 10 was 32-22-34 *eek*

I take no notice of size. It how the clothes fit that counts not the number on the tag. It's only a guideline.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am 5ft 1 in tall but would be hour glass in that I would be a 6-8 on the waist, 10 on the chest and hips - it makes getting clothes interesting as it is hard to get things that really fit. I am a healthy weight for my size though maybe could do with gaining 7 lb. I am also in my late 30's. I do still feel that my hips are hiuge but have to remind myself that they are not.

sunbeam wrote: »
    On the subject of sizes, I remember back in the 80s when a size 10 was 32-22-34 *eek*
    My mother was smaller than that again before she had kids - too small to fit into a size 10 in the early-mid 80s, she was around 7st at 5'4". She was still in childrens clothes a lot of the time until she was about 4 months pregnant with me at age 21.

You know, I'm really surprised that some people here report people commenting to them about their weight! Like I said, I'm overweight but no-one has ever said anything to me.

I agree also about build- there actually IS such a thing as big boned! I'm never, no matter how much actual weight I loose, be much less than a 16, MAYBE a 14 but I doubt it. And my arse is tiny. :p

I'm a naturally thin person and have got comments (most not meant to to nice) about my weight all my life. Some people are so rude. I would love to reply 'and your so fat' just to see the reaction I would get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

In fairness, by today's standards, both of those would be classed overweight at the least. Monroe was a size 16.

Gah, no she wasn't!!! Wish people would stop perpetuating this myth. With a 22-24 inch waist, size 16 - are you kidding? Jane Russell's measurement put her at a size 8-10.

• Advertisement

Gah, no she wasn't!!! Wish people would stop perpetuating this myth. With a 22-24 inch waist, size 16 - are you kidding? Jane Russell's measurement put her at a size 8-10.

Ok look. Not trying to be an asshole here but about 5 people have pointed this out during the thread already. I said fair enough, and tried to move on.

Advertisement