Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 metre HDMI cable €5.99 in Lidl. from 28th of january

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Don't judge me but i bought a HDMI cable in Dealz for €0.99. I have it connected between my HD satellite box and HD tv. I've no problems with the picture or sound.

.99 cent cables are perfect, I use them too. I wouldn't pay more than €2 for a HDMI cable. Unless I need one longer than 2 meters.

HDMI is digital, it either works or it doesn't.

There is nothing I hate more than seeing a sales person in the likes of Harvey Norman trying to sell some poor chap a €90 Monster gold plated HDMI cable. And i've actually said it to a few people too after the sales rep left them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

2E shop all thae way, buy a spare one if your dubious about one breaking after a couple of yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

:pac:

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Are those Cat5e to HDMI adapters something like €30 a piece tho?

I get them for free,as I work in the IT/Construction sector.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

paddy147 wrote: »
    I get them for free,as I work in the Photography sector.:)
    FYP Paddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

stimpson wrote: »
    You can really see the difference with a gold plated HDMI once they have been run in properly.

I honestly thought you were taking the piss... :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've a €4k home cinema and used cheap generic HDMI cables, even at 10 meters I still only spend around £10-15 max and no problems.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gold plated optical cables is where it's at. ;)
    And yes they actually exist :eek:

Bottom line to avoid thermocouple effects / galvanic corrosion etc. you should match connectors. If the equipment has gold connectors then consider using gold cables. If the equipment doesn't have gold connectors then it's almost certainly using nickel plated connectors and so should any cables you use with it.

The other one that gets my goat is oxygen free copper.

To get rid of impurities like phosphorous that drastically affect electrical conductivity you refine copper by electrolysis. This also removes oxygen. The only copper that you don't need to do this with is the stuff you use to make pipes out of or use for coins/brass/bronze.
    It's like buying a car and the salesman assuring you that the bodywork is made out of mild steel rather than cast iron.

/RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Korvanica wrote: »

There is nothing I hate more than seeing a sales person in the likes of Harvey Norman trying to sell some poor chap a €90 Monster gold plated HDMI cable. And i've actually said it to a few people too after the sales rep left them.

I've done the same:D

Cheap HDMI cables are no different from the expensive ones.The most I've paid for HDMI cables was €7 for a pack of two & this was before they became readily available in €2 shops,never had a problem with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Am I mistaken or are there swivel connectors on this cable? If so it would probably make it worth the €6, I priced a 270 deg. adapter on Amazon for approx €8 +P+P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Euro Giant have them for €1 in some shops, €2 in others. My young lads use them without complaint and they are in constant use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

bmaxi wrote: »
    Am I mistaken or are there swivel connectors on this cable? If so it would probably make it worth the €6, I priced a 270 deg. adapter on Amazon for approx €8 +P+P.

Yeah, these have swivel and rotatable connectors. So are worth a the money if space is tight behind your equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I honestly thought you were taking the piss... :D

I was :D

The only connectors I recommend people paying for is decent multi strand speaker cable. Especially over long runs eg. for surround sound rear speakers. The resistance of a few meters of cable can affect the frequency response curve of the speaker. Thick (>1.5 mm dia.) multi strand cable will have much lower resistance (impedance actually) and will have much less impact on the signal. Then again you can get 20 metres of cable for less than a tenner on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

stimpson wrote: »
    I was :D

Oh no you weren't! (he shouts in a pantomime voice)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Got one today, 2m cable and swivel connectors on the back. Happy with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭smellsfunny

Anyone want to come into business with me and start selling HDMI cables? Here is my business plan.

1) Buy 200 HDMI cables for 99c each. Cost 198 euro
    2) Buy 5 cans of Dutch Gold spray paint. 20 euro
    3) Spray the ends of the leads gold
    4) Sell each one for 500 euro on amazon.
    5) Profit 100,000 euro.

Success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Bought one myself. These are a far superior piece of kit to the run of the mill Euro shop stuff, not so much for signal transmission as for convenience.
    I have a flatscreen tv which I have to lay face down to access the hdmi socket and even then it is difficult to get it in straight, with this, you just bend the connector in whatever way you want. Well worth the €6, this is what they're going for on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accell-B122C-010B-Supreme-Ethernet-Connectors/dp/B0042JGLIU/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&qid=1359408879&sr=8-65

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

or you could spend $4.30, wait a little while and get one of these HDMI swivel. Handy for those awkward sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

They have HDMI cables here that have 1 x 90° connector (which is all you need really).
    Prices are the following for the different sizes. There are also many more sizes available.

1 Mtr = £1.85
    2.5 Mtr = £2.60
    5 Mtr = £4.99
    10 Mtr = £7.49

Use Parcel Motel for free delivery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

They have HDMI cables here
    and its gold too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know if this cable is v1.4? My old v1.3 HDMI cables won't carry a 3D signal image from my media box to my TV because it isn't rated for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Anyone know if this cable is v1.4? My old v1.3 HDMI cables won't carry a 3D signal image from my media box to my TV because it isn't rated for it.

Can you not just download an update for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You can get them for €1.49 in the new Dealz stores. Only a metre though I think.
    They work great.
    Ed

gerryk wrote: »
    Can you not just download an update for it?

HDMI cables don't work like that. The older V1.3 cables will carry HD signals fine but not 3D signals or to be specific not at high enough resolution for my TV to pick it up as a 3D signal so when you try to enable 3D on your TV it just tries to convert a split screen image.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

HDMI cables don't work like that. The older V1.3 cables will carry HD signals fine but not 3D signals or to be specific not at high enough resolution for my TV to pick it up as a 3D signal so when you try to enable 3D on your TV it just tries to convert a split screen image.

Yeah, I know. I was trying to be funny... clearly unsuccessfully.

gerryk wrote: »

Yeah, I know. I was trying to be funny... clearly unsuccessfully.

I get jokes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Anyone want to come into business with me and start selling HDMI cables? Here is my business plan.

1) Buy 200 HDMI cables for 99c each. Cost 198 euro
    2) Buy 5 cans of Dutch Gold spray paint. 20 euro
    3) Spray the ends of the leads gold
    4) Sell each one for 500 euro on amazon.
    5) Profit 100,000 euro.

Success

I'm in.

...although Dutch Gold is beer, not paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Can you only imagine the quality of that ****e.:pac:

Have you learned anything from this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

his was the second post. he'd be doing very well to learn something from posts that hadn't been made yet

Advertisement