Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 metre HDMI cable €5.99 in Lidl. from 28th of january

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Can you only imagine the quality of that ****e.:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

And one costing 50 euro would be better? Think not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

To Alcohol wrote: »

I have bought HDMI cables for .99c delivered, and they work every bit as well as something 10 or 100 times the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

To Alcohol wrote: »

I'm no expert on HDMI cables but from some reviews I've seen the quality of a €6 cable v a cable costing 10 times that is negligible to most users. Could be worth a punt for normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭smilgy

I was in Dealz the other day and saw that they have HDMI cables for 1.49. Don't remember the exact length though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I tend to only buy braided hdmi cables now , after a few cheap ones breaking after a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

gerryk wrote: »
    I have bought HDMI cables for .99c delivered, and they work every bit as well as something 10 or 100 times the price.

Totally agree... I would rather spend between 99 cent to €2 delivered from china on ebay than €5.99 anywhere for a 1.4v HDMI cable to be honest.

Never had an issue with any i have got.

AND... anyone who thinks "gold plated" on HDMI or scart or headphones makes any positive advantage to it needs a kick in the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

I tend to only buy braided hdmi cables now , after a few cheap ones breaking after a year or two.

Depends on how much usage ( plugging in and out) you'd have for the cable. If it was permanently in position then a cheap one could last years, even then if you were getting 2 years for a cheap cable can you really have a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Access wrote: »
    AND... anyone who thinks "gold plated" on HDMI or scart or headphones makes any positive advantage to it needs a kick in the nuts.

You can really see the difference with a gold plated HDMI once they have been run in properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

stimpson wrote: »
    You can really see the difference with a gold plated HDMI once they have been run in properly.

No, no you can't - it's digital signal it either works or it doesn't at lengths of 2m

Kevin! wrote: »
    No, no you can't - it's digital signal it either works or it doesn't at lengths of 2m

I find the contrast to be far more dynamic. TBH, gold plated is fine for most people but silver-palladium is really where is at.

stimpson wrote: »
    I find the contrast to be far more dynamic. TBH, gold plated is fine for most people but silver-palladium is really where is at.

Oh sweet jesus! in fairness, the difference wouldnt be visible to the naked eye!

I feel sorry for the guys that go into the likes of PC world or harvey normans and spends €50+ on the likes of a "monster" branded HDMI cable.

Cheap HDMI version 1.4 cables are fine for any home setup of HTPC or Bluray or Sky HD etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Oh sweet jesus! in fairness, the difference wouldnt be visible to the naked eye!

I feel sorry for the guys that go into the likes of PC world or harvey normans and spends €50+ on the likes of a "monster" branded HDMI cable.

Cheap HDMI version 1.4 cables are fine for any home setup of HTPC or Bluray or Sky HD etc.

Went to buy a HDMI cable in PC World a few months back, went for the cheapest one, was told by one of their sales staff that he "didn't reckon that cable could carry a HD signal". I didn't really know what to say. Well I didn't know what to say that wouldn't have resulted in me being kicked out of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A real money making con for gullible people are HDMI cables. The signal either reaches the source or it doesn't...

Can I interest anyone in some magic beans?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As an electronic engineer I can assure you that in almost all normal domestic and commercial use cases, a 99c Hdmi cable will work just as well as a 100 euro one.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

danthefan wrote: »
    Went to buy a HDMI cable in PC World a few months back, went for the cheapest one, was told by one of their sales staff that he "didn't reckon that cable could carry a HD signal". I didn't really know what to say. Well I didn't know what to say that wouldn't have resulted in me being kicked out of the shop.

I was told (with even greater certainty) the same thing in their alternatively branded Currys when I bought a €7 cable to got with a new TV a few weeks ago. I was tempted to ask what he thought the HD in HDMI stood for but it was close to 6 so I didn't bother.

I'm also an electronic engineer and as other posters above have stated, not only would the eye not distinguish the difference, there is no actual difference between short (less than 5m) length HDMI cables for the eye to distinguish. The only reason you'd pay extra is for build quality if you thought you might be regularly plugging the cable in and out of different devices.

I laughed at the bullshít Monster used with when selling analogue hi-fi interconnects and speaker cables but it's even more farcical that the industry would try the same shít with digital cables.

From http://www.techradar.com/news/video/why-you-dont-need-to-spend-more-than-2-on-an-hdmi-cable-1071343
    "Will using a £5,000 USB cable make your printer better?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

danthefan wrote: »

Currys are way overpriced for most things.:(

33 euro for a basic 2 meter long 6 gang extension lead...no fecking way.:eek::mad:

Went to Argos and got 4 of them (Masterplug surge protected 6 gang extension lead) for 7 euro each.Bought them for my 2 large aquariams.

Happy days.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have a 30 meter long HDMI FLAT LEAD here sitting in a box.

I bought it in to run under upstairs floor boards,but never got around to installing it.

I just used 2 Cat5e cables that were allready installed under the floor,and were sitting behind the TV as spares and used those (combined with 2 Cat5e to HDMI adaptors) as a HDMI cable/signal instead.

Simples.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,995 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You still see people buying those Monster branded HDMI cables and the prices they pay for them is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

To all the EE's, where do you work and any jobs? :P

:D

I delight in telling customers that the cable they bought is no better than one for a tenth of a price (I've never come across someone who spent more than €30, or maybe they wouldn't admit it). What concerns me is that...most of them talk about how it makes the audio better. Sigh.

Of course we should all point out, a cheaper cable does mean cheaper build quality.

A real money making con for gullible people are HDMI cables. The signal either reaches the source or it doesn't...

Can I interest anyone in some magic beans?

Magic listening beans? I'll take a dozen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

A fool and his money...
    Reminds me of an indonesian guy in singapore that bought solid silver hdmi cables then spent 6k on solid silver cable to hook up his 2k speakers to play his 256k mp3s and itunes aac file through :rolleyes:
    He still couldn't see the point when I pointed out that for an extra $500 he could have had a powered version of the same speakers thus eliminating the speaker cable entirely.
    Then again he made more in a month that I did in a year so I suppose another way to look at it is that he was keeping someone elses family in (gourmet) food and (designer) clothes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

paddy147 wrote: »
    I have a 30 meter long HDMI FLAT LEAD here sitting in a box.

I bought it in to run under upstairs floor boards,but never got around to installing it.

I just used 2 Cat5e cables that were allready installed under the floor,and were sitting behind the TV as spares and used those (combined with 2 Cat5e to HDMI adaptors) as a HDMI cable/signal instead.

Simples.:)

Are those Cat5e to HDMI adapters something like €30 a piece tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

None of yis have a clue.....

Just bought 2 of these. The dogs bollix apparently.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Coffee-12m-Braided-HDMI/dp/B003CT5KMO/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336413133&sr=1-9

Even with the import taxes, its still a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

dodzy wrote: »
    None of yis have a clue.....

Just bought 2 of these. The dogs bollix apparently.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Coffee-12m-Braided-HDMI/dp/B003CT5KMO/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336413133&sr=1-9

Even with the import taxes, its still a great deal.

Love the reviews!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Cracked did a piece on high-tech rip offs a while back which included digital cables. Unlike most of you here, I'm not an electronic engineer but something in my gut tells me that a cable shouldn't cost more than the TV did. Thanks for spotting this OP, I've been meaning to pick one up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Don't judge me but i bought a HDMI cable in Dealz for €0.99. I have it connected between my HD satellite box and HD tv. I've no problems with the picture or sound.

Advertisement