Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Life Crisis

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Chao

Your fooked so.

How do you figure that one out??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Chao wrote: »
    How do you figure that one out??

Head wreck, trying to get the idea to work, in Irish sub servants it might take 10-15 years to get your idea to work, but if you can do it without the need of the sub servants, you might just win.

Head wreck, trying to get the idea to work, in Irish sub servants it might take 10-15 years to get your idea to work, but if you can do it without the need of the sub servants, you might just win.

What's my idea?? And why do I need a sub servant???

Chao wrote: »
    What's my idea?? And why do I need a sub servant???

This is true, go get them, be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

100k my eye, vivid imagination and zero social skills so its not a mid life crisis at all, it's sad to witness, with or without money life is what you make it, don't build castles in the sky!

• Advertisement

mox54 wrote: »
    100k my eye, vivid imagination and zero social skills so its not a mid life crisis at all, it's sad to witness, with or without money life is what you make it, don't build castles in the sky!

This is true, but if you attach a floating beem it might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Grayson wrote: »
    100k? Dude, go backpacking for a few years. (I'm not saying you'll discoiver yourself before people jump on me).

If your life is getting you down, then get away from it. Go back packing because at least that way you'll meet people. You tend to meet more people in hostels than hotels.

Hang around a beach in thailand for a few months. Then go to Oz for a while. Stop off in india for a while. Go to south america and drink rum on a carribean beach whilst salsa dancing till the sun comes up.

You sound like you just need to get away from everything for an extended period of time. It's not like the money will do you any good unless you spend it and you'll never get a chance to do something like this unless you do it now.

And If youy go for 3 years, you'll probably still have 2/3 of your money when you get back. If you get back. You might end up settling down with some colombian beauty :)
    Why the hell would a 36 year old think its great to be salsa dancing on some dusty hurricane risk island or bum aound the slums of asia would be having a great time.
    Live it up stay in fancy hotels in wonderful cities like San Fran , Vagas wherever it suits do it in style and comfort.
    Eat the best food in the best restraunts and dance the night away in a plush nightclub where the babes you meet arent thinking about robbing your kidneys.
    Take it from me it would take a lot of drink to convince me to kip on a dodgy beech in India for a few months
    I will have me two nights a week on my couchh watching the box, dribbling myself asleep after the weeks work..
    Lando.

Why the hell would a 36 year old think its great to be salsa dancing on some dusty hurricane risk island or bum aound the slums of asia would be having a great time.
    Live it up stay in fancy hotels in wonderful cities like San Fran , Vagas wherever it suits do it in style and comfort.
    Eat the best food in the best restraunts and dance the night away in a plush nightclub where the babes you meet arent thinking about robbing your kidneys.
    Take it from me it would take a lot of drink to convince me to kip on a dodgy beech in India for a few months
    I will have me two nights a week on my couchh watching the box, dribbling myself asleep after the weeks work..
    Lando.

Yea but would you not want as much left as possible to set your self up again? I agree with what you say though would be a way better trip!! Just wouldn't last as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

What a waste. Drink in Irish pubs and turn lobsterlike on some polluted beach as well sure.

Whenever I travel I avoid hotels as much as possible, stay with (local) friends and immerse myself in the local culture, learning as much of the language as they'll teach me. I wash my clothes beside them in the river and eat the same food regardless of consequences. I help with the work and repect their religion. Some people can travel the world and never step outside their own heads, I'm not among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Make a list of all the things you wanted to do but couldn't/wouldn't because of your relationship.
    Make a list of the things you wish you had done up to now.
    Then go and do them.

I have to say myself and the husband both regret not working abroad for a few years. I especially would have liked to have lived a while in the US. Now with house, kids etc it's not something we're looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

6541 wrote: »
    Have had enough:
    After hours must surely be the place to post my mid life crisis:
    I am 36, recently single after a long relationship, have a good career and have 100,000 euro in savings.

Recently I am questioning what’s its all about ? I recently read that when people are told they are dying one of their biggest regrets is been a slave to work.
    So boardies what should I do with my mid life crisis. Keep working with a eye on my career, earning good money, look for a wife and family etc

Or
    Throw it all away, give up job, move somewhere and party until I have no cash left
    Or indeed any other suggestions welcome.

If its a good job and you've been there a while you might be able to arrange a leave of absence.Head off and do a bit of travelling and have fun.
    If you're just out of a serious relationship I wouldn't go looking to settle down straight away.

You've already worked and saved hard, why not enjoy the fruits of your labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Midlife crisis OP, get a hobby, and more important, find someone you can love. If you don't have someone you love, and who loves you, what is the point of life? Buy some good clothes and get out more, find a mate. A soulmate. Tends to ease the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newslou

Go up to a homeless person and ask them to swap lives with you, hand over everything you own to them, then walk in there shoes for two weeks, make sure you get them to sign something saying they have to hand back whatever is left in 2 weeks.

Anyone want to take part in this? I will gladly swap. I am a 38year old single woman who had a full time job last August. I got made redundant just at the same as taking on a new apartment alone. On the fourth December I signed off and took up a new job; unfortunately the job did not work out. I was evicted on the 14th Jan. I am now in a homeless hostel. A waste of government money and taxpayers money which I have paid all my life. It is a disgrace. Two grand or less would have saved this situation. I think people should be given a bonus when they sign off!

Have just seen the original post and read through the thread. Have no clue what to say to the original poster now. Perhaps they should not be worried about their mid life crisis and be happy with their situation. Best of luck with your choices. You know when I read it first I wished that was me and then I thought no..... I am on this path and I just have to weather it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newslou

Please see my post in reply to the comment made by 3andahalfof6. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
    ― Confucius

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

OP just buy an MR2 like all the other middle aged men going through a crisis and get on with your life..

6541 wrote: »
    Have had enough:
    After hours must surely be the place to post my mid life crisis:
    I am 36, recently single after a long relationship, have a good career and have 100,000 euro in savings.

Recently I am questioning what’s its all about ? I recently read that when people are told they are dying one of their biggest regrets is been a slave to work.
    So boardies what should I do with my mid life crisis. Keep working with a eye on my career, earning good money, look for a wife and family etc

Or
    Throw it all away, give up job, move somewhere and party until I have no cash left
    Or indeed any other suggestions welcome.

At 36...I recon you should do the three above that you said...but especially work for looking for your soul-mate then start a family.

Don't let your life slip away like i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You've got through the tough part, keep going and prosper, don't fear growing older, many young men before you in this country have ended their lives prematurely. In the end it's always better to persevere and accept life for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    What a waste. Drink in Irish pubs and turn lobsterlike on some polluted beach as well sure.

Whenever I travel I avoid hotels as much as possible, stay with (local) friends and immerse myself in the local culture, learning as much of the language as they'll teach me. I wash my clothes beside them in the river and eat the same food regardless of consequences. I help with the work and repect their religion. Some people can travel the world and never step outside their own heads, I'm not among them.

Nothing better than nice hotels in foreign countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Gauss wrote: »
    Nothing better than nice hotels in foreign countries.
    Most depressing places on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

This doesn't look like a mid-life crisis to me. It has the whiff of a 36 year old journalist facing a crisis on compiling an article for his editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

So it's not really a midlife crisis at all!

Just your way of letting people know you have a 100k in saving in these hard times!!

Good now you can give Sean Quinn a dig out with his legal costs. Since your richer than him now.

Having 100k in savings probably isn't something to brag about anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you have very recently come out of a long term relationship then do absolutely nothing until you get over that and can think straight again. I was in a similar situation to you 10 years ago ( I was 33 and had roughly 25k in savings) I was Intent on packing in my good job, taking my savings and headin to Oz (when very few others were heading at the time) and starting a new life on my own away from everything and everyone I knew but I knew it wasn't a sensible move so rode it out. I met my wife to be when I was 36, got engaged at 37, married at 38, first child at 40 and second at 42.

36 is too young to be having a mid life crisis. If you still feel the same at 45 then start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Actually had a mid life crisis last year.

I bought a cheap convertible sportscar, left my job and went traveling and then bought a motorbike recently.

And im only 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭ronjo

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Most depressing places on earth.

Of course they are... Far worse than sleeping under a bridge!

Advertisement