Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My prison ideas: (Possibly Hitlerish) but read anyway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Worse, it becomes a rite of passage, the mark of a 'hard man'. I've seen this in real life.

You are gettign even more kryptic by the post. Or have you been drining again?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

newmug wrote: »
    I like your thinking OP. I once had a similar post, and I got ridiculed for it. But here it is anyway:

Originally Posted by newmugviewpost.gif
    Here's my solution:

1) Build a massive underground jail, the biggest jail in the world, fit to hold 1 million people.

2) Put every joyriding, junkie, fraudster, banker, paedophile, illegal immigrant, shoplifting, lying politicians, dishonest, violent scumbag in Ireland into it.

3) Take in prisoners from other countries. Charge the other countries for keeping their scum. This will keep more good people of the world safe, dilute crime levels worldwide, and help our economy.

4) Have treadmills in the jail. Make the scum run on them and generate electricity.

5) Sell the electricity, which will not only boost our economy evenfurther, but will help the global warming crisis aswell.

6) Scrap all previous laws, and start from scratch. Publish a book called "The Law". Make it available to everybody in Ireland. Teach it in schools. Leave no excuse for criminal behaviour.

7) In this book, state the sentences. Rape of children = rest of your life in jail. Not 4 years with 2 suspended, not 18 months and a donation to charity, minimum of 100 years just to be sure. Same for dealing drugs. This is both as a punishment, and to keep criminals away from normal people. Normal people dont rob, do drugs, or rape. Also, longer sentences = more electricity produced.

8) Aim to build a society which mimics that of "The Girl From Tomorrow". The only people who should be walking around freely are those responsible enough to know how to use their freedom properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVS376aIVqQ&feature=related

Why is it so important that the jail is underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Spunge wrote: »

what an idiotic statement

Your right their all animals.

Your right their all animals.

Grammar Nazi... must resist urge...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ConfusedLepton

Legalising and subsidising abortion would be a much more effective (and cheaper) way to handle things. Legalising abortion and crime effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Legalising and subsidising abortion would be a much more effective (and cheaper) way to handle things. Legalising abortion and crime effect.

But abortion is the greatest crime of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

newmug wrote: »
    I like your thinking OP. I once had a similar post, and I got ridiculed for it. But here it is anyway:

Originally Posted by newmugviewpost.gif
    Here's my solution:

1) Build a massive underground jail, the biggest jail in the world, fit to hold 1 million people.

2) Put every joyriding, junkie, fraudster, banker, paedophile, illegal immigrant, shoplifting, lying politicians, dishonest, violent scumbag in Ireland into it.

3) Take in prisoners from other countries. Charge the other countries for keeping their scum. This will keep more good people of the world safe, dilute crime levels worldwide, and help our economy.

4) Have treadmills in the jail. Make the scum run on them and generate electricity.

5) Sell the electricity, which will not only boost our economy evenfurther, but will help the global warming crisis aswell.

6) Scrap all previous laws, and start from scratch. Publish a book called "The Law". Make it available to everybody in Ireland. Teach it in schools. Leave no excuse for criminal behaviour.

7) In this book, state the sentences. Rape of children = rest of your life in jail. Not 4 years with 2 suspended, not 18 months and a donation to charity, minimum of 100 years just to be sure. Same for dealing drugs. This is both as a punishment, and to keep criminals away from normal people. Normal people dont rob, do drugs, or rape. Also, longer sentences = more electricity produced.

8) Aim to build a society which mimics that of "The Girl From Tomorrow". The only people who should be walking around freely are those responsible enough to know how to use their freedom properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVS376aIVqQ&feature=related

and you know, all the talk now of prisons been expensive to build and not one ****ing prison was built during the building boom. we got aviva
    . ****.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not sure. There is a prison in the UAE (Saudi Arabia) that is like a 5 star hotel with education etc. They have almost zero reoffending and very successful outcomes.

However, the inmates are political prisoners rather than criminals so the results might not work in a normal prison.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Saudi is not in the UAE.

Only took five pages for this to be pointed out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Its too late to go digging out links but if thats the Freakanomics guy there was actual errors in his methodology/calculations leaving aside any causation/correlation issues of trying to prove a statement that involves an infinite amount of variables (in the maths/scientific sense)

Nodin wrote: »
    "slave labour" costs other people jobs. The model of harsh punishment has been tried and didn't work.

In fact the prison labour regime has been used as a stick to beat the unions with in the US for a while now. Heard one example recently of a certain airline....

Basically the cabin crew were threatening to strike. So management decided that they would move the ground staff on to the planes and have them do it, while then out-sourcing certain ground staff jobs (answering phones and the like) to a prison.

The original cabin crew meanwhile were free to go fcuk themselves with their la-de-da notions of "employment rights" "fair wages" "safe working conditions" and any other nonsense only a Bolshevik would expect from a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

...while then out-sourcing certain ground staff jobs (answering phones and the like) to a prison.
    If people in prisons are all 'animals' as some put it, how could they answer phones?

Maybe the US has found a way of putting well-functioning people in prisons so they can be used as cheap labour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

the one thing that strikes me about this type of thread is you always get the do gooder pricks who stick up for the animals/scumbags in jail.

let them rot in jail.

and make the stranding up bit 6 hours not 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

crazygeryy wrote: »
    the one thing that strikes me about this type of thread is you always get the do gooder pricks who stick up for the animals/scumbags in jail.

let them rot in jail.

and make the stranding up bit 6 hours not 3.

And you also always get the kind of reactionary who thinks that society should sink to the same level, or worse, as criminals, when punishing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Maybe if you're in for 10+ years, otherwise it's fairly harsh.

The work thing would be a bit iffy too considering how many people are unemployed right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Criminals are in prison, generally speaking, because they are deemed to be a danger to society.

People seem to forget that the idea of prison is about rehabilitation as well and not merely punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I have no doubt that money could be saved without inflicting needless punishments on prisoners.

If Alan Shatter was up for it, I'd say an entrepreneur could find up one of those now empty newish hotels built from reinforced concrete during the last ten years, buy it from NAMA, convert it to accommodate the necessary security arrangements, and have it up and running as a prison in no time flat.

As far as I am concerned, the punishment is imprisonment, so there is no need for any unnecessarily harsh regimes or any other wanton carry-on.

I'd be all for renting the fc*kers Playstations to use in their cells/rooms, provided that someone could pay by credit card. If they wanted to bring in their own Playstations, I'd have no problems with that. If they wanted to bring in their own laptops, I wouldn't have any problem with that, provided that there was no illegal activity or access to the net for paedos.

I'd even be on for giving them wifi for their laptops, if the price wasn't prohibitive.

I'd be on for facilitating Fás courses in the prison, if that could be done

If the prisoners/guests break the rules, they get sent to the punishment floor, no Playstations, no laptops, no internet, no luxuries, no prison pay, nothing.

Where would you save money? Wages and pensions. Staff could be paid reasonable private sector style wages, without massive pensions. Overtime could be strictly limited.

You could probably outsource the food to a local caterer, at least temporarily, until you get up and running.

I reckon you could save a fortune and pacify the prisoners to make life easy at the same time. If it was allowed, the problem with lack of prison spaces could be fixed very soon.

And someone could make a fortune at the same time.
    I think that's a novel and really good idea for crime management.

Then only major refinement I'd make to your idea is to segregate the hotel/prison floors according to crime committed. Worst offences on top floor and working their way down.

In addition, teams of prison officers could go out every Friday and round up a few hundred pensioners and children. Release the pensioners on the floor where those convicted of robbery are housed and allow the convicts have a small slice of their normal life outside, you know for human rights reasons.

Then, release the children on the floor housing the child mollestors and rapists along a similar rationale as above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

repsol wrote: »
    I wouldn't be in favour of treating criminals like animals either. I think animals deserve better.

You do know some people are in prison due to not been able to pay fines ete. Not all stone cold killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Uriel. wrote: »
    Then only major refinement I'd make to your idea is to segregate the hotel/prison floors according to crime committed. Worst offences on top floor and working their way down.

In addition, teams of prison officers could go out every Friday and round up a few hundred pensioners and children. Release the pensioners on the floor where those convicted of robbery are housed and allow the convicts have a small slice of their normal life outside, you know for human rights reasons.

Then, release the children on the floor housing the child mollestors and rapists along a similar rationale as above

Modelling prisons on Dantes Inferno? Fukking hell, literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Spunge wrote: »
    what an idiotic statement

I'd go a bit further actually. One hundred percent of all people are animals, inside or outside of prison, of genus homo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

And you also always get the kind of reactionary who thinks that society should sink to the same level, or worse, as criminals, when punishing them.

just as a matter of interest how would you punish the 72 year old who raped his daughter for ten years?
    pat him on the back and send him on his way?

• Advertisement

just as a matter of interest how would you punish the 72 year old who raped his daughter for ten years?

The exact same way I'd treat a 36 year old who raped his daughter for 10 years, why do you ask? Again: do you want me to think of puniishment and vengeance or of rehabilitation and trying to reduce the chance of him reoffending when I answer this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

If I had time I would go through the posts of outrage in threads complaining about lenient prison sentences vs posts of outrage here complaining about treating prisoners too harshly. I'm nearly sure there's a poster or two that has done a 180 on their views between threads.

I had the pleasure of listening to John Lonergan give a talk about prisons when he was the governer of Mountjoy. Fascinating stuff. He came across as a very knowledgeable, well spoken, fair and decent man who always treated prisoners with respect and expected the same in return. In the most it seemed to work despite the justice system in Ireland being a bit wonky.

I do feel at times that some serial offenders or murderers should be treated with contempt and get the "lock em up and throw away the key" treatment. But having read Lonergans book, it slightly softened my attitude and would recommend it for a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Why exactly do you think I would think he should be 'patted on the back and sent on his way'?

He should do the full 12 years of his sentence and if he dies in prison, fu<k him. His health should be no mitigating factor on the length of his sentence. He lost all rights to leniency when he did what he did.

What we as a society should not be doing is lowering ourselves to the level or torturing or exacting physical retribution on prisoners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Become a prison guard OP, try ruling with an iron fist and see how long you last before both prisoners and your colleagues want to string you up.

In fact the prison labour regime has been used as a stick to beat the unions with in the US for a while now. Heard one example recently of a certain airline....

Basically the cabin crew were threatening to strike. So management decided that they would move the ground staff on to the planes and have them do it, while then out-sourcing certain ground staff jobs (answering phones and the like) to a prison.

The original cabin crew meanwhile were free to go fcuk themselves with their la-de-da notions of "employment rights" "fair wages" "safe working conditions" and any other nonsense only a Bolshevik would expect from a job.

Urban Myth, and probabably very unlikely to be true.

Think about it: what business is going to hire prison inmates to do customer care? What is that saying about how you view your customers?

And how exactly are the terms in the last paragraph "Bloshevik"?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Become a prison guard OP, try ruling with an iron fist and see how long you last before both prisoners and your colleagues want to string you up.

See this kinda BS is why we should out-source our prison Guards/prisons to some foreign nations by either shipping out our Criminals or shipping in Guards for month long stays at a time.

Long term career criminals.... lifers/ repeat offenders ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Think about it: what business is going to hire prison inmates to do customer care? What is that saying about how you view your customers?

This one. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19184054

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I think that they should have the glass partition thing with the phones at each end, like in the states.
    Less chance of drugs and stuff getting in. And something better than the laughable plastic netting over the yard areas, easily defeated by chucking a lighted sock containing contraband over.

And make the fcukers work, anything productive, it might make the day shorter for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

There's something weird about the type of person who has clear ideas on how prisons should be run but hasn't considered the concept of rehabilitation in any depth whatsoever. There are plenty of prison systems around the world, and we can learn a lot by looking at how released prisoners behave when getting out of each type. Simply declaring that this is how you'd run a prison, without giving any thought as to whether this makes for a better society, stinks of bloodlust and naked rage and feeds the worst popular impulses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I think that they should have the glass partition thing with the phones at each end, like in the states.
    Less chance of drugs and stuff getting in. And something better than the laughable plastic netting over the yard areas, easily defeated by chucking a lighted sock containing contraband over.

And make the fcukers work, anything productive, it might make the day shorter for them.

You do know the guards are the main importers of contraband?

Also this thread has made my head explode. I'm dead. This is my ghost typing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement