Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My prison ideas: (Possibly Hitlerish) but read anyway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

cows are treated better at abattoirs

And why wouldn't they be?A cow is not a thieving or raping or murdering scumbag so they should of course be treated with more dignity than a common criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nice attempt at the 'string 'em up, it's the only language they understand!!' approach.

How about this: society shouldn't treat those it has incarcerated like animals, because we as a society should be attempting to help and/or rehabilitate those who do commit crime. It may not work in most or even many cases, but that doesn't mean the solution is to mistreat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Most of these "people" are animals.

all people are animals
    repsol wrote: »
    Wrong.There are very few prisoners over 50 years in jail for minor thefts etc.Most of them get weary from going in and out for years and missing out on relationships and kids growing up etc.If things were harder inside they would just cop on a few years sooner and decide prison wasn't something they were prepared to go through.

or perhaps they just get better at not getting caught

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Of course you wouldn't, you would be completely irrational due to anger. We can't base our legal system on how irrational people react, it'd be fcuking chaos.

There is a certain amount of satisfaction for the general public and comfort for the victims/victims family if they know that a sexual predator or murderer will spend his time in jail in total misery and discomfort and dread each day beginning. Its not going to rehabilitate him but ,lets face it he can refuse treatment like Larry Murphy did or tell the "experts" treating him what they want to hear.No amount of talking to these lowlife is going to stop them fancying kids or whatever floats their boat. If you are a man attracted to women,nobody can change that so what is the difference? You like what you like and no doctor is going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Grayson wrote: »
    Define most? Like 80%, 90%. So what have the other 10-20% done that they're not animals?

We are all animals , homo sapiens to be exact.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I like your thinking OP. I once had a similar post, and I got ridiculed for it. But here it is anyway:

Originally Posted by newmugviewpost.gif
    Here's my solution:

1) Build a massive underground jail, the biggest jail in the world, fit to hold 1 million people.

2) Put every joyriding, junkie, fraudster, banker, paedophile, illegal immigrant, shoplifting, lying politicians, dishonest, violent scumbag in Ireland into it.

3) Take in prisoners from other countries. Charge the other countries for keeping their scum. This will keep more good people of the world safe, dilute crime levels worldwide, and help our economy.

4) Have treadmills in the jail. Make the scum run on them and generate electricity.

5) Sell the electricity, which will not only boost our economy evenfurther, but will help the global warming crisis aswell.

6) Scrap all previous laws, and start from scratch. Publish a book called "The Law". Make it available to everybody in Ireland. Teach it in schools. Leave no excuse for criminal behaviour.

7) In this book, state the sentences. Rape of children = rest of your life in jail. Not 4 years with 2 suspended, not 18 months and a donation to charity, minimum of 100 years just to be sure. Same for dealing drugs. This is both as a punishment, and to keep criminals away from normal people. Normal people dont rob, do drugs, or rape. Also, longer sentences = more electricity produced.

8) Aim to build a society which mimics that of "The Girl From Tomorrow". The only people who should be walking around freely are those responsible enough to know how to use their freedom properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVS376aIVqQ&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

7 a.m. wake up and have breakfast of porridge or cereal and a glass of water.

8 a.m. off to work (for no pay, slave labour to save money for country)

12 or 1 p.m. Lunch of porridge and a glass of water

5 p.m. return and have dinner (meat and or veg) and a glass of water.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.................good luck with that nutrition working long term.
    As a by the way, if one was to come into some money, could he or she open up his or her own building and run a private establishment charge the government for housing inmates, and do it for a fraction of the price that the goverment-based prison services will do it for, again, creating jobs and saving government money.

The "prison industry" is growing in America, and it is good news for no one. It showing one of capitalism's worst and most disgusting aspects.
    Would a criminal scumbag be more afraid of committing his or her first offence if prisons were run in the fashion outlined in my OP or the liberal pansy girls' blouse way things are run in Halden Prison Norway ???

If someone (God forbid) raped and or battered a young child or old person, especially if this was a family member of yours, would you want them to live like a King ?? In better conditions than some elderly people are living in or homeless ?? Cop on. They deserve no better than the most squalid conditions.

Wouldn't a better solution to that be to deal with the conditions that the elderly are in? And deal with the problem of homelessness? Rather than trying to serve some sick fantasy of justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

There is a certain amount of satisfaction for the general public and comfort for the victims/victims family if they know that a sexual predator or murderer will spend his time in jail in total misery and discomfort and dread each day beginning.

That's revenge, not justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

And why wouldn't they be?A cow is not a thieving or raping or murdering scumbag so they should of course be treated with more dignity than a common criminal.

You cant let your heart rule your head, If you had a penal system based on OPs post ireland would be no better than the other countries that violate human rights laws, The push them until they break approach is no way to treat any human being. Rehabilate them and make them attend psycologists /councellers whoever, keep them in untill they respond

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

That's revenge, not justice.

Yeah I know. Revenge is sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

this i weird..i had only been talking to a friend and telling him how America has a couple of hundred private prisons. The problem with this is, they set targets and the prisons have to be kept 98% full at all times. Kind of sounds like concentration camps to me. The uk also have private prisons but also have the biggest inmate population in Europe . Im kinda of seeing a similarity now between the 2 different country's and i dont like where it is going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I like how the OP makes his/her proposal without giving any reasoning behind it whatsoever and then says 'go discuss'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

newmug wrote: »
    I like your thinking OP. I once had a similar post, and I got ridiculed for it. But here it is anyway:

Originally Posted by newmugviewpost.gif
    Here's my solution:

1) Build a massive underground jail, the biggest jail in the world, fit to hold 1 million people.

2) Put every joyriding, junkie, fraudster, banker, paedophile, illegal immigrant, shoplifting, lying politicians, dishonest, violent scumbag in Ireland into it.

3) Take in prisoners from other countries. Charge the other countries for keeping their scum. This will keep more good people of the world safe, dilute crime levels worldwide, and help our economy.

4) Have treadmills in the jail. Make the scum run on them and generate electricity.

5) Sell the electricity, which will not only boost our economy evenfurther, but will help the global warming crisis aswell.

6) Scrap all previous laws, and start from scratch. Publish a book called "The Law". Make it available to everybody in Ireland. Teach it in schools. Leave no excuse for criminal behaviour.

7) In this book, state the sentences. Rape of children = rest of your life in jail. Not 4 years with 2 suspended, not 18 months and a donation to charity, minimum of 100 years just to be sure. Same for dealing drugs. This is both as a punishment, and to keep criminals away from normal people. Normal people dont rob, do drugs, or rape. Also, longer sentences = more electricity produced.

8) Aim to build a society which mimics that of "The Girl From Tomorrow". The only people who should be walking around freely are those responsible enough to know how to use their freedom properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVS376aIVqQ&feature=related

Genuinely not being sarcastic, that's a brilliant idea !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

this i weird..i had only been talking to a friend and telling him how America has a couple of hundred private prisons. The problem with this is, they set targets and the prisons have to be kept 98% full at all times.

And leads to shíte like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

You cant let your heart rule your head, If you had a penal system based on OPs post ireland would be no better than the other countries that violate human rights laws, The push them until they break approach is no way to treat any human being. Rehabilate them and make them attend psycologists /councellers whoever, keep them in untill they respond

Hah if I let my heart rule my head anyone on their fourth conviction would be getting tied to a big metal chair,doused with water and a big lightning conducter strapped to it in the middle of a storm!

If you were too stupid to learn the first three times this is what you deserve.Instead we hear crap about some lads 82nd conviction but this time he pinky promises to be good your Honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Grayson wrote: »
    Where's the rehabilitation bit? you know, to stop them doing it again.

Prison is about rehabilitation? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

This is a very easy fix, if the powers that be would let it happen, promise me you wont do it again, but the most important thing is to make sure they are holding the bible, it works in court,.............. this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

newmug wrote: »

newmug's idea would take account of that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Prison should only be for people who are too dangerous to be on the streets i.e. murderers, rapists and paedos.
    The rest should have to do community service like cleaning streets, cutting hedges, maintaining parks, painting out graffiti etc while well supervised. If they refuse then send them to prison.
    Prison should not be a picnic but not too harsh either as they have already lost their freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I have no doubt that money could be saved without inflicting needless punishments on prisoners.

If Alan Shatter was up for it, I'd say an entrepreneur could find up one of those now empty newish hotels built from reinforced concrete during the last ten years, buy it from NAMA, convert it to accommodate the necessary security arrangements, and have it up and running as a prison in no time flat.

As far as I am concerned, the punishment is imprisonment, so there is no need for any unnecessarily harsh regimes or any other wanton carry-on.

I'd be all for renting the fc*kers Playstations to use in their cells/rooms, provided that someone could pay by credit card. If they wanted to bring in their own Playstations, I'd have no problems with that. If they wanted to bring in their own laptops, I wouldn't have any problem with that, provided that there was no illegal activity or access to the net for paedos.

I'd even be on for giving them wifi for their laptops, if the price wasn't prohibitive.

I'd be on for facilitating Fás courses in the prison, if that could be done

If the prisoners/guests break the rules, they get sent to the punishment floor, no Playstations, no laptops, no internet, no luxuries, no prison pay, nothing.

Where would you save money? Wages and pensions. Staff could be paid reasonable private sector style wages, without massive pensions. Overtime could be strictly limited.

You could probably outsource the food to a local caterer, at least temporarily, until you get up and running.

I reckon you could save a fortune and pacify the prisoners to make life easy at the same time. If it was allowed, the problem with lack of prison spaces could be fixed very soon.

And someone could make a fortune at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

ah but sure as long as somebody makes a few quid it will be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

What no torture? Sure they have it easy Joe :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

How about this: society shouldn't treat those it has incarcerated like animals, because we as a society should be attempting to help and/or rehabilitate those who do commit crime.
    Another way to put it is, if you treat them like animals don't be surprised if they act like animals.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Another way to put it is, if you treat them like animals don't be surprised if they act like animals.

Another way to put it is they are already animals and that's why they are in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Was going to mention that. It's scary the way he locked up kids who weren't even teenagers for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

EXACTLY what I was talking about. There are some things that should just never be privatised, ever. Prisons are one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Make the strongest prisoners build the prison themselves, including a twenty-foot wall with an electric fence on top and a moat outside it.

Make the most intimidating ones threaten the long-term unemployed into seeking work, and stop heroin addicts scaring middle-class Dubliners.

Make the tech-savvy ones keep track of trolls and re-reges on Boards.

Make the ones with drivers' licences drive immigrants on welfare and bogus asylum seekers to the airport, and take drunk old Kerrymen home from the pub.

Shoot the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I think the whole ,that was awful,I NEVER want to go back there part might rehabilitate a few.

which of course has NEVER worked, not in the thousands of years that Jails have existed!
    But sure dont let the facts get in the way of your fantasy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Hah if I let my heart rule my head anyone on their fourth conviction would be getting tied to a big metal chair,doused with water and a big lightning conducter strapped to it in the middle of a storm!

If you were too stupid to learn the first three times this is what you deserve.Instead we hear crap about some lads 82nd conviction but this time he pinky promises to be good your Honour.

Hence keeping them in till they show signs of rehabilation if not extend their sentence, Make them learn some new skillls to get a job or give them the oppertunity to sit the leaving cert or some from of education.
    It is human nature to want to seek revenge or see someone that commited a crime to get punished/beat or tortured to pay for what they've done. If that was the way things were there would be chaos on the streets and people taking matter into their own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

If you treat people with brutality they will become more distant from humanity - i dont see that working. Prison should be spent on enabling the prisoners to feel what they did to another person,feel sorry and rehabilitate.

And maybe an actual system in place where they make it upto the victim.

Think of how much healing that would do for the victims too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement