Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia EOS (WP with true Pureview) [Now Nokia 1020]

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I received my Nokia Lumia 1020 today and I love it already! I've only played around with it for a small amount of time, so I can't comment too much on the camera's image quality, but it's definitely looking good so far. I enjoy the level of control the Nokia Pro Camera app provides as you can change so many settings, e.g. ISO, shutter speed, exposure etc.

Also, I was very surprised to find that I received the Camera Grip for free with my phone. The packaging states Nokia Lumia 1020 + Camera Grip so I guess I lucked out with this purchase.

Anyway, I'll post some pictures taken on the phone once I've had a chance to familiarize myself more with it and Windows Phone 8. It's my first Windows Phone device, having come from Android, so it's most likely going to be an interesting experience to say the least! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I decided to go ahead and buy it in black from Amazon DE. It was cheaper than buying it in this country and less hassle trying to get it unlocked but I have to wait about a week and a half for it to arrive; I just want it now! lol

Anyway, I'll post again once it arrives. :)

Was it not unlocked when you bought it sim free from amazon?

Was it not unlocked when you bought it sim free from amazon?

After re-reading my original post, I understand how it might seem that I was referring to the handset bought from Amazon as being locked but it wasn't. I was referring to the hassle of getting a 1020 unlocked if bought in this country.

I’ve included a series of pictures taken with the Nokia Lumia 1020 below. The majority are Christmas themed so if you’ve had enough Christmas for one year, I’d recommend looking away now. :)

Additionally, the 5 MP and 34/38 MP images can be seen by selecting any of the pictures.

• Pictures 1 and 3 were taken in daylight
    • Pictures 2 and 10 were taken at night, in my house with the lights on
    • Pictures 4-9 were taken at night, in my house with the lights off

1. (ISO: 100 | Exposure time: 1/7 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20131220_08_23_05_Prothumb_zpsa4e67a6c.jpg

2. (ISO: 100 | Exposure time: 1 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20131214_09_45_24_Prothumb_zps0a23be18.jpg

3. (ISO: 100 | Exposure time: 1/35 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20131213_13_16_44_Prothumb_zps17f7e098.jpg

4. (ISO: 100 | Exposure time: 1/1 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20140102_17_01_14_Prothumb_zps358d4b90.jpg

5. (ISO: 100 | Exposure time: 1/1 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20140102_17_02_26_Prothumb_zps6e764b97.jpg

6. (ISO: 100 | Exposure time: 1.3 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20140102_17_03_01_Prothumb_zps4992843a.jpg

7. (ISO: 200 | Exposure time: 1.1 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20140102_20_39_25_Prothumb_zps0ecaecd1.jpg

8. (ISO: 400 | Exposure time: 1/2 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20140102_20_38_46_Prothumb_zpsde958365.jpg

9. (ISO: 400 | Exposure time: 1/50 s | Flash: Yes)
    WP_20140102_20_38_27_Prothumb_zpsd2d86577.jpg

10. (ISO: 100 | Exposure time: 1/2 s | Flash: No)
    WP_20140102_21_27_08_Prothumb_zpsbcd92ffb.jpg

After re-reading my original post, I understand how it might seem that I was referring to the handset bought from Amazon as being locked but it wasn't. I was referring to the hassle of getting a 1020 unlocked if bought in this country.

Thanks, (great pics btw) I'm planning on buying on one from amazon and have been comparing the prices. Can't believe the difference in prices between European countries. But America/Canada also seem to sell them comparably cheaper still. Does anyone know if there'd be any problem running an American handset here?

• Advertisement

Thanks, (great pics btw) I'm planning on buying on one from amazon and have been comparing the prices. Can't believe the difference in prices between European countries. But America/Canada also seem to sell them comparably cheaper still. Does anyone know if there'd be any problem running an American handset here?

Cheers ;)

If you're looking to get a US 1020, the main issue you'd have, from what I've researched, is the lack of LTE support;this is due to the US variant supporting completely different LTE bands than the Global variant.

Nokia Lumia 1020
    • Global (RM-875) = LTE bands: 1 (2100), 3 (1800), 7 (2600), 8 (900) & 20 (800)
    • US (RM-877) = LTE bands: 2, (1900), 4 (1700/2100), 5 (850) & 17 (700)

Furthermore, you can see similar info to the above on the manufacturer specification pages for both the Global and US variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Great stuff there.

Cheers ;)

If you're looking to get a US 1020, the main issue you'd have, from what I've researched, is the lack of LTE support;this is due to the US variant supporting completely different LTE bands than the Global variant.

Nokia Lumia 1020
    • Global (RM-875) = LTE bands: 1 (2100), 3 (1800), 7 (2600), 8 (900) & 20 (800)
    • US (RM-877) = LTE bands: 2, (1900), 4 (1700/2100), 5 (850) & 17 (700)

Furthermore, you can see similar info to the above on the manufacturer specification pages for both the Global and US variants.

Brilliant, thanks for the info.

The lumia black update is here if you would like to get it folks.

Bdj39dgIcAADP72.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Black update has been pushed, may very from carrier to carrier but if your 1020 is unlocked you should be able to grab it now.

edit: jimmy's in first.

• Advertisement

It turns out my handset is Australian so no Black update for me yet :(

App folder now available you don't need black for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

got black last night. I don't think I'll ever go back :D

Only big deal for me is the saving of RAW files in Nokia Camera. I would like to have the option for three rows of normal sized tiles like there is on the 1520, but I don't believe it's possible

PaulieC wrote: »
    got black last night. I don't think I'll ever go back :D

Only big deal for me is the saving of RAW files in Nokia Camera. I would like to have the option for three rows of normal sized tiles like there is on the 1520, but I don't believe it's possible

Nope only on the 1520

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

PaulieC wrote: »
    I would like to have the option for three rows of normal sized tiles like there is on the 1520, but I don't believe it's possible

Its something I do like myself om the 1520, I think even scrolling the app list or in the settings menu its a lot easier to find what you want because your not scrolling so much and your eyes having to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

I was fairly sure I'd bricked my Lumia 1020 yesterday with the Black update.
    "This may take 10-20 minutes" it said, and for a while, it appeared that it did. Until the screen then turned off and the whole thing refused to turn on for another 20 minutes following that. (20 minutes of me looking for a receipt in case I'd had to return it!).

Did anyone else's experience follow that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Player 2 wrote: »
    "This may take 10-20 minutes" it said, and for a while, it appeared that it did. Until the screen then turned off and the whole thing refused to turn on for another 20 minutes following that. (20 minutes of me looking for a receipt in case I'd had to return it!).

no, my update went smoothly, the whole thing took less than 10 mins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Player 2 wrote: »

Did you get the update ok after?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Any tips on current place to get a yellow 1020 (looking for yellow camera grip too) at the lowest price for a unit that is unlocked and will work on Vodafone Ireland's network?

I had a quick look on Amazon.co.uk and .de and both seem to be coming out around 545 euro for the 32GB handset and only ones cheaper on ebay.ie were in Hong Kong or Australia so I didn't feel were worth the hassle as they weren't much cheaper.

Have had some good experiences buying 'nearly new' stuff on Amazon.co.uk so might be tempted to take a gamble, though the discount for it being used doesn't seem much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

The black update is that available to Vodafone 1020.

Completely new to the windows phone so still on a learning curve.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Advertisement