Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia EOS (WP with true Pureview) [Now Nokia 1020]

Options
  • 23-01-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,454 ✭✭✭✭

This could be the game changer for Nokia and WP. Reports are coming out that they will release a Lumia with similar capabilities to the Pureview camera that we saw on the Nokia 808 latter this year.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/23/nokia-reportedly-lining-up-true-pureview-windows-phone-for-launch-this-year-codenamed-eos/
    According to the Verge, which cites sources familiar with Nokia’s plans for 2013, the company is planning a “true PureView Windows Phone” — currently codenamed EOS — which will have a “similar sensor” to the one used in the 808 PureView.

But, according to the Verge’s sources, the EOS handset will be ranged as a high-end Lumia this year, and will be clad in aluminium — rather than polycarbonate, Nokia’s current material of choice for its high end Lumia phones. The Verge has previously reported that Nokia plans to shift from plastic to lightweight aluminium for one of its forthcoming high end Lumia phones. But it’s now suggesting EOS will apparently be one of three aluminium handsets in Nokia’s forthcoming Lumia line-up, along with the previously rumoured Lumia 920 replacement (codenamed Catwalk) — and a third, unnamed mid-range device expected to land in early summer.

The EOS device will be ranged by AT&T, according to the Verge’s sources, and will apparently have a new look — rocking “squared edges” on its aluminium body. Of course, Nokia declined to comment on the rumoured device when we asked. A spokesman told us: “Nokia does not comment on rumours and speculation.”

One issue with this rumour is that the PureView sensor is very large — making the 808 handset quite heavy, with a noticeable bulge at the top end. Nokia has been criticised for the weight of its flagship Lumias — something that won’t be helped if it’s going to add the full kit and caboodle powering the PureView. Still, with a second flagship — the Catwalk — reportedly in the works, Nokia could offer Windows Phone fans a choice between a slender, lightweight high end Lumia, or a larger heavier handset which boasts unparalleled camera performance.
    The strategy of offering two flagship phones (a bigger phone that is necessary to contain true Pureview capabilities and a lighter, thinner device for those less interested in the camera) makes a lot of sense. WP getting 808-esque performance and a Xenon flash would be a real coup for the OS and might be a trump card that could convert a lot of folks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

hubba hubba

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

I can't take Nokia seriously anymore, since they can't release a phone properly. 920 has been out for months, but no chance of getting one on a network here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I can't take Nokia seriously anymore, since they can't release a phone properly. 920 has been out for months, but no chance of getting one on a network here.

You say that like Ireland is actually an important market for global firms, rather than the backwater it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,454 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

gsmarena_004.jpg
    Leaked photo of the new EOS, or whatever it's going to be called.

From what I can see, it looks like it will be a proper Pureview with massive image sensor and Xenon flash (from what I can see on the housing anyway).

Can this be moved to the Windows forum btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Pic of the camera hump but could be just a render. Think i like the 808 hump more.
    BMAipktCIAA6yFs.png

Lets hope Microsoft get their finger out and update WP8's features as the 920 was nothin special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

lolie wrote: »
    Pic of the camera hump but could be just a render. Think i like the 808 hump more.
    BMAipktCIAA6yFs.png

Lets hope Microsoft get their finger out and update WP8's features as the 920 was nothin special.

Lots more pictures leaked to GSMArena. Oh and the 920 is an excellent phone, best touch screen of any smart phone, great for wireless charging and unbeatable for low light pictures, its excellent optical image stabilisation for video recording, runs as smooth as butter and is very fast.

http://www.gsmarena.com/exclusive_leaked_photos_show_nokia_eos_from_every_angle-news-6167.php

BMB_5sDCUAAL75a.png
    Look at that image closely, you can just about make out the time. To me it looks like the OS finally has support for standby notifications, if so that means the Nokia Sleep Screen can finally be ported over.

lolie wrote: »
    Agree totally! I get the feeling that Nokia could have an amazing 808-type Lumia out tomorrow with all the bells and whistles (proper Pureview, FM transmitter, HDMI out, etc.) but for the fact that OS updates seem to take an age for Microsoft.

BMB_5sDCUAAL75a.png
    Look at that image closely, you can just about make out the time. To me it looks like the OS finally has support for standby notifications, if so that means the Nokia Sleep Screen can finally be ported over.

The nokia sleep screen is coming with the next update

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I kinda like that their trying to keep the rest of the phone skinny and only expose the unavoidable camera bulge, but it looks very odd.

Wondering whats the weight distribution would be like. Would love a reason to go back to Windows Phone, 920 was a bit of a let down, especially on the fact that you cant buy it, in a retail store...

• Advertisement

Can't wait. Doubt I'll probably get it, it would have to impress me a LOT to make me get it over the humongous note 3.

If it had comparable battery life it wouldn't he hard though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

Very excited for the announcement next week. Will be very interesting to see how the 1020 compares to the Galaxy S4 Zoom. And to see which/if any Irish networks pick up either of them.

I've been putting off upgrading from my trusty Sony Ericsson Satio for years (well, aside from having a work iPhone5 that I also use) waiting for a phone with a better camera and Xenon flash. Didnt fancy being stuck with Symbian again with the 808 so hopefully the 1020 or the Zoom will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Due an upgrade in August and out of contract in October, really hope this makes it to the networks here.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Very excited for the announcement next week. Will be very interesting to see how the 1020 compares to the Galaxy S4 Zoom. And to see which/if any Irish networks pick up either of them.

I've been putting off upgrading from my trusty Sony Ericsson Satio for years (well, aside from having a work iPhone5 that I also use) waiting for a phone with a better camera and Xenon flash. Didnt fancy being stuck with Symbian again with the 808 so hopefully the 1020 or the Zoom will do the job.

I really don't see the galaxy camera phone taking off. Its not pocket-able enough . It would be like carrying around a point and shoot in your pocket. While the Nokia doesn't have the optical zoom, I'm sure the 41 MP will make up for it, in optical zoom on 5 MP pictures.

Blut2 wrote: »

Images from the Galaxy S4 Zoom have already featured on this website, being directly compared to the Pureview 808 - http://hi-tech.mail.ru/review/misc/Samsung_Galaxy_S4_Zoom-rev.html Worth having a look.

You might also want to pay attention to the Sony Honami (20 MP camera with a big image sensor and Xenon flash). http://www.gsmarena.com/more_sony_xperia_honami_photos_show_a_xenon_flash-news-6290.php

Images from the Galaxy S4 Zoom have already featured on this website, being directly compared to the Pureview 808 - http://hi-tech.mail.ru/review/misc/Samsung_Galaxy_S4_Zoom-rev.html Worth having a look.

You might also want to pay attention to the Sony Honami (20 MP camera with a big image sensor and Xenon flash). http://www.gsmarena.com/more_sony_xperia_honami_photos_show_a_xenon_flash-news-6290.php

Hadn't heard about the Honami at all, thanks for that. Between the 1020, Honami and the Zoom I'm sure I'll find one that will do me.

The 1020 was unveiled just now. I have to say the camera technology looks absolutely fantastic. It has everything that the Pureview 808 has plus a new tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

models_465.jpg

Full details here!
    http://conversations.nokia.com/?p=127767

Smashing camera folks what you thinking?

IMG_1287b1000.jpg

IMG_1309b1000.jpg

IMG_1256b1000.jpg

Looks great...now just to cross my fingers and hope an Irish network picks it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

This is going to cost what, €750 here? Jaysits knows when we'll get it

The image comparisons between the 1020 and the competition are going to be very, very interesting. What'll also be interesting is the comparison between it and the Pureview 808 (the 808 has a slightly better flash and larger image sensor, whereas the 1020 has image stabilization).

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Great to see, been waiting for a replacement for my N8 for a long time (808 aside), I'll be getting this even if I have to go sim free.

If they're going to sell this thing for $700 sim free, then I shudder to think what it will cost us in Europe.

I think you are going to see the likes of HTC and Samsung scrambling to include Xenon flash in their devices.

700-nokia-lumia-1020-pro-11.jpg

Another great example the detail that is captured. These are two separate pictures, the bottom is a crop of the top.

New-York-sunglasses-bokeh-640-x-360.jpg

New-York-sunglasses-bokeh-carrera.jpg

Looks nice, cant wait to get my hands on it. Is it enough to win me back? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The camera mount is terrible looking, takes from the rest of the design. The two colour works to highlight the camera and make it standout and be noticed, but the balance is more bad than good. The N8 mount wasn't great looking, but the 808 fitted much better even if it was a big bulge at first but this is a few steps back especially in those colours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Looks great, but i wish they made a smaller one. I hate these 4.5" gargantuan screens :/

Hopefully will help WP8 stand out and gain marketshare.

• Advertisement

Looks great :)

Advertisement