Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technic summer sets

Options
  • 22-01-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Taken from Brickset

Four sets are to be released, again in August:
    • 42001, Mini Off-roader, a very small model but with full suspension, orange body
    • 42005, Monster Truck, large wheels, hefty tyres, red body, full suspension. Not to my taste but it looked quite cool
    • 42008, Service Truck, £100, absolutely fantastic rescue vehicle, the sort you might see rescuing a lorry from the motorway. Green body, red highlights. Power functions, with motorised lift and outriggers.
    • 42009, Mobile Crane Mk II, £150. A ten wheeled monster of a mobile crane which looks superb. Said to be the largest Technic model ever in terms of number of pieces. It's equipped with Power Functions, including one of the new style motors, which look as if they operate all aspects of the crane's movement. I've gone off large Technic models a bit lately, but this is one I will definitely be getting.
    Crane and pick-up truck sound awesome, crane sounds like its heading for the 2500 piece mark, with a £150 sterling price tag we can probably expect 180e or more but it sounds like a fantastic set.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

aye, those float for awile. there is even very low resolution picture of them:

img0346rp.jpg

I am sort of "meh" about flagship, and even more pissed off, that monster truck is a small set!

Still though. I got the 42000 and next its service truck and that monster truck for me this year. Dunno if i will bother with crane truck, i better will get unimog or other older sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

Yeah I seen the pic's but not much detail in the pic's, as you can see from the article however the wheel on the monster truck are apparently hefty, tbh if the wheels are in the 100mm or above range i would buy it just for them and not worry about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm a truck guy so will be adding 42008 and 42009 to my collection once the come out. Next on my list is the Unimog once pay day comes along and then it will be 42000 when my birthday rolls around.

And I still have 9396 (Rescue Helicopter), 9397 (logging truck) and 8043 (Motorized Excavator) to make up. I can see my wife not being very happy when the parcels start to arrive, as it is I have nowhere to put the three kits I still have to make.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm a truck guy so will be adding 42008 and 42009 to my collection once the come out. Next on my list is the Unimog once pay day comes along and then it will be 42000 when my birthday rolls around.

And I still have 9396 (Rescue Helicopter), 9397 (logging truck) and 8043 (Motorized Excavator) to make up. I can see my wife not being very happy when the parcels start to arrive, as it is I have nowhere to put the three kits I still have to make.

I blame the minifig collector series. They're like a gateway drug. Picked up my first last year and have been on what can only be called a Lego binge since. In the 20 years+ since I entered my dark age I only picked up the UCS AT-ST, Last x-wing - while absolutely locked in Toys'r'us in Time Square at midnight - and 8421 Mobile Crane. But this last few months...

I've picked up the Logging truck, 8068 Rescue Helicopter, 8043 Excavator, Quad-bike (which I think has the same wheels as the mini off-roader), 9394 Jet, a ton of minifigs off ebay, Superman vs lex powersuit (tesco for 6 euro) and I've still got the Unimog, 9395 Pick-up truck, 9396 helicopter and Modular Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium to open.

I want the F1 car, both those trucks and to continue with the Modular series. And I wonder why I'm broke.

They announced new Lotr sets too... Iron man sets... Ffs...

I want to get in to more lego, but I just don't have enough funds at all. Would love to get all Lotr/hobbit stuff. Then I am looking at modular stuff, but it scares me a lot. Those are fantastic sets, but 150eu per pop... I am already technic junky, I don't really need one more "big" set theme!

• Advertisement

They announced new Lotr sets too... Iron man sets... Ffs...

I want to get in to more lego, but I just don't have enough funds at all. Would love to get all Lotr/hobbit stuff. Then I am looking at modular stuff, but it scares me a lot. Those are fantastic sets, but 150eu per pop... I am already technic junky, I don't really need one more "big" set theme!

Only just bought the modulars on the fear that they're about to disappear. The price of the discontinued sets is frightening. Might try and bricklink them at some stage. I've decided that I'm going to try and limit myself to the large technic set, minifigs series and the modulars from now on.

better picture of 42008 out now http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=42008-1

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

better picture of 42008 out now http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=42008-1

Size is very disapointing, its only 12 studs wide and about 50 studs long making it smaller than the flatbed truck. About the size of the container truck from 2010, 8025.

Looks like it has a M-motor with 2 mini la's, 1 normal La, 1 compresser and 2 pheumatic pumps and 2 switchs, with a rumored price tag of £99 so maybe 119-129 euro it seems pricy for the parts, can't be more than 1000 parts if even that considering size.

From pictures it looks like the Mini la's control the outriggers and the main La controls the up/down motion on the lift arm and the pheumatics do nothing more than control the open/close mechanism on the tyre lift at the back, in which case its a shame to even call the set pheumatic considering a mini la would do the same job from the M- motor, looks really like its inclueded just to bump up the price considering the pheumatics will add 20+ euro to the sets cost.

Don't get me wrong I like phematics and love sets with them but its always sad to see them under used and just added to a set with no real after thought.

I still love that set and I will buying it, but as Derek pointed out, pneumatics very underused. I was surprised to see so many LA's when it was suppose to be pneumatic set.

I guess it is still going to be a great source of LA and pmeumatic parts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I picked up the new Technic small hovercraft (42002) today - great value for €15. Really nifty piece!

• Advertisement

I came across these images today, making the two headline summer sets even more desirable imo, I really like the 42008 B1 model.

42009 B1
    42009-1-b1.jpg

42008 B1
    42008-1-b1.jpg

I always loved service truck. Damn, I even love the New crane, but jaysus, the B models are freaking horrible lads.

I don't think I am going to buy any. H2 models in August, but I am definitely will get myself some for Xmas. Crane and service truck are on my list to get.
    Small bit off topic, but my situation is a bit annoying. I was down a lot on working hours for months and my income was crippled, but I still managed to sneak in one or two Lego sets, but now I am working like slave for the last two month. Got myself in better financial position, but now I don't have "spare" money for few Lego sets!!! :)

The 42008 B model looks class.

I'll agree that the 42009 B model isn't the prettiest but it looks like it will be interesting to put together, there is also the option of adding extra bits to it to create more containers and possibly modify it so it's remote controlled.

Only just finishing off my Unimog today and need to set my sights on the next thing... 42009 definitely looks like it. No intention of picking up 42008 now, the more I see of it the less I like it. The B model is awful too; patchwork body (look at that mess behind the cab), bizarre arm placement and design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Love these two scenes....
    8272397973_5fc4aebcd8_c.jpg
    8272399235_a273e8bcc1_c.jpg
    Crane looks excellent too - anyone an idea on expected cost?

g0g wrote: »
    Crane looks excellent too - anyone an idea on expected cost?

RRP is €199.99 as far as I know.

That € 204 price tag kills me! Just that bit too much for an impulse buy, regardless of how amazing the set looks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Bought my last Lego set around 20 years ago - the crane might be the next one!

Will this "summer series" be available for a long time, or is it a limited production run?

• Advertisement

Bought my last Lego set around 20 years ago - the crane might be the next one!

Will this "summer series" be available for a long time, or is it a limited production run?

Summer release rather than summer series. You can be pretty sure that it'll be on sale for a minimum of two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

Hi all,

Looks like Smyths have the 42009 crane coming in on the 26th July at 189 euro: http://www.toys.ie/Lego-Mobile-Crane-MK-II-42009-!128031-prd.aspx

That should give me time to finish off my Death Star....

Bob

Summer sets are on Lego.com now.

Prices less than expected.

42008 - 99.99
    42009 - 169.99

Mobile crane only 169eu? Thats great price. 99eu for Service truck is less then I expected too.

Its a shame I have no money. :(

I wonder are the Irish prices mis-prices.

42008 is £99.99 in the UK store, €99.99 in the Irish store and €109.99 in the DE and IT, €114.95 on the ES store and €119.99 on the FR store.

42009 is £149.99 on UK, and €199.99 on the major European stores while only €169.99 on the Irish store.

I wonder are the Irish prices mis-prices.

42008 is £99.99 in the UK store, €99.99 in the Irish store and €109.99 in the DE and IT, €114.95 on the ES store and €119.99 on the FR store.

42009 is £149.99 on UK, and €199.99 on the major European stores while only €169.99 on the Irish store.

Damn you all! I'm weak and the price was better than expected so I just made my first online Lego order! :D

g0g wrote: »
    Damn you all! I'm weak and the price was better than expected so I just made my first online Lego order! :D

Which one did you get, I'm fighting the urge to get 42009. But I think I'm going to lose the fight.

Which one did you get, I'm fighting the urge to get 42009. But I think I'm going to lose the fight.
    Yeah the crane, couldn't resist! And a keyring while I was at it. Also now I'm gonna have VIP points so will need an excuse to use them soon too! :)

50 euro difference between Smyths and lego.com for 42009! Worrying now if it's a mis-price and that it will go up. Can't really afford it atm though.:mad:

• Advertisement

50 euro difference between Smyths and lego.com for 42009! Worrying now if it's a mis-price and that it will go up. Can't really afford it atm though.:mad:

Same. Price for both sets is fantastic, but no way I can afford any of them at this moment. Crane would be a lovely present for myself on Xmas morning.

Advertisement