Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athiest Parents and Catholic/Protestant Schools

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If people want a catholic education for their children, how come they don't insist that third level courses include religious instruction?
    3rd level is part of the education system too after all.

UCD Civil Engineering Timetable
    9am Structural Mechanics
    10am Geotechnical Engineering
    11am Thermodynamics
    12pm Transubstantiation 101

"Now you're just being silly" - I hear their replies.

"Well you fuppn started it, you muppets" - would be my reply... in this made up conversation.

Well my experience of teaching 3rd level leads me to think that this 'Catholic' education is not even effective at teaching Catholicism.
    Every year before I begin to lecture on the Reformation I have to explain RCC doctrine to the Catholics so that I can then explain Luther's issues with it and repeat over and over again that this is not what I believe - which is not relevant - but what the RCC stated is/was Catholic doctrine and what Luther believed was the problem or else we get complaints.

Colleague of mine who lectures on the Medieval church was put through the wringer by the parents of one student (a 20 year old man!) and accused of being anti-Catholic for discussing the activities of certain Popes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Good old Luther.

If holy god is supposed to be omnipotent and omnipresent then why does he need to show off and turn a bisc-quit into himself???
    Isn't he in the bis-quit ...and everything else already???

I know you've got to put on a show and entertain the masses, but it doesn't add up to me.

Maybe I'll find out at the 12pm lecture ;)

I'm especially looking forward to this afternoons practical "Prayers that help bridges to keep standing, 101"

I'm especially looking forward to this afternoons practical "Prayers that help bridges to keep standing, 101"

I've heard about that one - it's a humdinger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Fluid Mechanics should also be interesting lecture - with little anecdotes about how Mr. Moses and Mr. J Christ were able to deviate away from commonly known principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

T Is there Catholic Maths? Catholic Irish? Catholic Geography?

Lol, 2+2=5 because God says so, and Rome is the centre of the universe.

Irish is already quite Catholic; the only form of address I was taught was Dia Dhuit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Well my experience of teaching 3rd level leads me to think that this 'Catholic' education is not even effective at teaching Catholicism.
    Probably because "catholic education" isn't intended to get people to believe ideas. On the contrary, kids are indoctrinated in order to convince them that the priesthood and the church are necessary.

And seeing the number of people still going to church here, not to mention the thousands of people obediently lining up their kids for, uh, "communion" with priests, it's hard not to admire that the church has managed to do exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

robindch wrote: »
    Probably because "catholic education" isn't intended to get people to believe ideas. On the contrary, kids are indoctrinated in order to convince them that the priesthood and the church are necessary.

Indeed.
    I'd say that the church is acutely aware that if they did teach what the bible actually says people what leave in droves because it's such a load of misogynistic, cruel, ignorant bollocks.

Of course that makes protestant congregations where they do learn all that ****e all the more puzzling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

kylith wrote: »
    Irish is already quite Catholic; the only form of address I was taught was Dia Dhuit.

I hate Padraic O'Chonaire and everything he stands for. Stupid whiny alcoholic bitchface, with his "Tetrarch of Galilee" and his blaming everyone but himself for his misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sarky wrote: »
    I hate Padraic O'Chonaire and everything he stands for. Stupid whiny alcoholic bitchface, with his "Tetrarch of Galilee" and his blaming everyone but himself for his misery.

I have no idea what or who you're talking about but.... right on, Brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Required reading back when I was doing honours Irish for the leaving. He was lauded as a visionary and amazingly talented writer. Mostly he came across as a miserable overly-religious alcoholic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sarky wrote: »
    Required reading back when I was doing honours Irish for the leaving. He was lauded as a visionary and amazingly talented writer. Mostly he came across as a miserable overly-religious alcoholic.
    Among the few things I still recall of the Irish poetry I studied in school, are O'Chonaire's name, the unsurpassed length and specific gravity of the words, the unforgivable lapses into ethic nationalism (Gaelic, of course), the odor of sanctity and sanctimoniousness that pervaded everything, and worst, the dreadful, pedantic humorlessness of it all.

It was only years later that I got around to reading Cúirt An Mheán Oíche and An Béal Bocht, both blackly satirical, both hilarious, and both in English of course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I just got word today that one of my children has been accepted into catholic school. :o Thankfully this is in the Netherlands and the emphasis is on school rather than catholic. No baptism cert required, no crucifixes in the classroom and a nice mix of christian, muslim, hindu and godless children.

I never would have believed I'd send a child of mine to catholic school after suffering through convent schools myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlvEoSWYsOuZK-1CbzvCfUvGozd_ATRwWUEPLfrkDFqA_y5jODHsnMO1pL

'nuff said.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlvEoSWYsOuZK-1CbzvCfUvGozd_ATRwWUEPLfrkDFqA_y5jODHsnMO1pL

'nuff said.

I really liked Peig. I thought she was funny.

I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

My 11-year-old had an interesting observation on education in the local Catholic school (where he is one of a handful of non-religious kids): "Maths is the only subject without opinions."

Advertisement