Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Hip Hop Discussion Thread

Options
  • 21-01-2013 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

Mod Edit: I've copied over a discussion from another thread to start a new thread about Irish Hip Hop.

So, Irish Hip Hop. Discuss.

Boom_Bap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

This is not a dig of any kind but you listen to Irish hip hop which is for the vast majority utter rubbish IMO and 99 % of the hip hop community's. The album with Royce and recovery are better than anything you'll ever hear from this country as in regards to hip hop.

Ahhh man, there is a load of rubbish IHH, but have you even tried listening to LD50 part 2 by lethal dialect?, nowhere near rubbish, its incredible, production and lyrics are the best iv heard, sh1ts all over them em albums you mentioned, and all that 50cent muck. Just because its irish doesn't mean its rubbish, your just being bigoted, not given it a chance because its irish, if anything you should be appreciating it, home grown talent that is well more relevant to you than listening to american artists. The crap defiantly outweighs the good in irish hip hop (theres well more ****e than good), but the good irish hip hop holds it own and is really special stuff. The irish stuff i listen to, i dont class "irish hip hop", its just hip hop.

http://lethaldialect.bandcamp.com/track/the-sermon

If you dont like that i dont know whats wrong with ye mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Na not for me , dictionary rap in an accent that's not one bit rhythmatic at all. That program that was on rte a while ago just shows how much of a laughing stock it is. I wouldn't disregard someone's opinion because they don't like the songs you've just posted either, trust me man just because there trying to come across like they have it hard and know the ins and outs of what ever conspiracy theory your man is sh*tting on about or how hard life is on the dole doesn't mean it's any more hip hop than a successful American rapper spitting painfully commercial lyrics or how hard he has it in his hood etc.

Conor I could literally be hear all night quoting bad lines if I wanted too. IHH has no identity , at least the uk scene is unique ours just sounds cringey and American like wannabes.

And being Irish myself has nothing to do with it, good music is good music your nationality doesn't come into it.

The accent could very well be IHH's downfall because I belive you there more then likely is some talented lads out there but there's a reason why nobody really cares about it and its the same reason why records labels Won't back the sub genre that is IHH... It doesn't make good listening and there's always that smell of cringe in the air.

"trust me man just because there trying to come across like they have it hard"
    Out of them three song i posted you there how is he trying to come across like he has it hard?

"dictionary rap in an accent that's not one bit rhythmatic at all"

What are you on about? Lyrics, flow, production is all very "rhythmatic", what's dictionary rap? being intelligent i'm guessing?

"That program that was on rte a while ago just shows how much of a laughing stock it is."
    That was embarrassing yes, but rte done that purposely for ratings, they made it into a complete joke, when they could of done something productive and showcasing some irish talent, but instead had people on it that shouldn't been there, and edited the actual talented ones and made them look like scumbags.

"IHH has no identity"
    Exactly cause people like you knock it before even given it a chance. That RTE program as well didn't help.

"at least the uk scene is unique"
    Hows that, give me some of examples of unique uk artists, or "uk hip hop".

"ours just sounds cringey and American like wannabes."
    Your telling me them songs i just posted sound American? Get your ears tested, that's a Dublin accent.

"And being Irish myself has nothing to do with it, good music is good music your nationality doesn't come into it."
    You just contradicted yourself and that post there.

Fair enough you dont like it, but with other people that ive showed that album to that dont like it, have a bit of constructive criticism, like not liking the accent etc. but they appreciate the content and production at least and can see for what it really is. He not just some wannabe wigger that put on an american accent or talks about nonsense, he's talking about politics, friendship, emigration, death, stuff thats affecting the irish nation at this present time. You've painted a completely different picture there, the opposite of the message he's trying to get across, i don't mean to be arguing, just baffled.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've started this thread so that we can include all discussions on Irish Hip Hop in one place. I've merged in a few posts from another thread to get the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

<mod snip> this is not a discussion thread on race </mod snip>

MOD NOTE for FootieFan2012 -> This is the second time that you have tried to get this discussion up an running. It's not going to happen so please do not post that video again. This is a hip hop thread, not a discussion forum for ethnicity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm not mad about irish hip ho as far as the actual rapping goes, I like some of the production though, I like the experts stuff. I also tolerate the accents when I'm watching battles, there's some comical stuff in them, bit of a dfi fan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Just can't get past the accent. A thick north side accent just doesn't work for raps.

I could probably get into a posh Southsider with decent rhymes and flow easier, if only because their accent is so more comprehensible.

When i first started listening it, took me a while to get past the accent, when i started to listen to what they're saying though i really started to appreciate and relate to it. Now i love it, and cant think of anything better then hearing my favourite genre in a Dublin accent. LD 50 part two in particular, that changed the way i listened to hip hop completely, i was hooked, i couldn't listen to any american hip hop for months after and ive been listening to rap/hip hop since i was a nipper. Got me through some bad times as well. You can get it here free if anyone is interested. Has gotten a lot of top reviews and recognition from hotpress and a good few papers.

http://lethaldialect.bandcamp.com/album/ld50-part-ii

I highly recommend giving it a chance, try and get past the accent, and give it a proper listen, the production in itself is amazing, and the lyrics are quality, scary talent. If there was one album to be the voice of "irish hip hop" this would be it, my opinion of course.

and of course theres more Irish hip hop being produced outside of dublin, if you cant get by the dublin accent, maybe you's would be more suited for this.

Waterford based Sons Phonetic

I just feel, finally we have homegrown hip hop artists that are producing hip hop that actually hold its weight with hip hop in general, its gone past the stereo type, cringey stuff and is taken a lot more seriously, you can tell they get their inspiration from proper hip hop, and really appreciate the art. Every other country has there own respected hip hop, why cant we?

another free download
    http://sonsphonetic.bandcamp.com/album/twelve-labours

If anyone else likes the stuff heres more respectable artists. Apologies for spamming, but am just passionate about this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Fair enough you dont like it, but with other people that ive showed that album to that dont like it, have a bit of constructive criticism, like not liking the accent etc. but they appreciate the content and production at least and can see for what it really is. He not just some wannabe wigger that put on an american accent or talks about nonsense, he's talking about politics, friendship, emigration, death, stuff thats affecting the irish nation at this present time. You've painted a completely different picture there, the opposite of the message he's trying to get across, i don't mean to be arguing, just baffled.

im not going through your whole reply simply because there's no point, your not going to change my mind and vice versa. Iv been in this discussion a few times down through the years here on this forum so this is my last post on it because i honestly have no desire to discuss IHH hence my negative opinion of it.

i literally have no interest tbh in those 2 songs. I couldnt even bring myself to listen to both tracks in their entirety, i heard bits and just switched it off. Id honestly have to be stoned out of my head, 16 or p*ssed to listen to it and the majority of IHH. Its not ignorant , its not that im not giving it a chance because trust me i stopped listening to IHH when i was around 18 which was 6 years ago. I use to listen to siyo "fresh out the gaf" etc then i just grew out of it and saw it for what it was just bad music and a bad sub-genre for the best part.

People cant be saying so and so is the worst thing to happen to hip hop or this person has a bad taste in hip hop because he likes this album etc... Lads if you really are going to bash mainstream hip hop and legends like eminem with no bother at all and defend this tripe, i really dont know what to think. Is it bitterness that IHH will never take off or are ye stoned out of your tree's living at home with mammy on the dole like the boy's on the rte show? As harsh as that sounds , thats the shoe on the other foot so i wouldnt be so quick to bash people like eminem and try come across as know it all's because you listen to IHH because if anything is up for debate as in regards to having a bad taste in music its the lads who listen to IHH.

just because something is underground and not mainstream, doesnt mean it defines hip hop either. Hip hops a culture not just music, ireland is just not that urban of a county so when you have a few lads trying to be eminem because really hand on heart , i say he's half the reason this country has an obsession with hip hop, em has had without a doubt the biggest impact on this generation of hip hop fans more so than any other artist. He was truly the first ever real global hip hop star.... just pushed the genre into overdrive imo.

the uk scene originated from garage/dance/grime ... it has its own sound and doesnt come across as bad as IHH imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The points people bring up here are exactly the same ones people bring up about hip-hop as a whole, it is stupid and ignorant.

If you don't like it you don't like it but saying it is something you grow out of it or that they or people who listen to it are wannabe "anythings" is re-hashed.

Im just trying to show people something they might of missed and might actually like, and show that hip hop in Ireland has advance a lot in 6 years, you didn't even bother to give them songs i showed you a chance.

You don't know nothing about me!, saying I'm living with the folks on the dole, your coming across as a right prick, i have my own apartment and plenty of qualifications on my back. Listen to what ever you want, sorry for trying to show you something, if you think eminem was the first global hip hop star, you really don't no much, yea, hip hop is a culture, the majority if not all of mainstream artist today share none of the elements of hip hop, if you even know what they are, I couldn't give a toss about your opinion, done talking to muppets like you, not going to waste another second on you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

TheBza wrote: »
    Im just trying to show people something they might of missed and might actually like, and show that hip hop in Ireland has advance a lot in 6 years, you didn't even bother to give them songs i showed you a chance.

You don't know nothing about me!, saying I'm living with the folks on the dole, your coming across as a right prick, i have my own apartment and plenty of qualifications on my back. Listen to what ever you want, sorry for trying to show you something, if you think eminem was the first global hip hop star, you really don't no much, yea, hip hop is a culture, the majority if not all of mainstream artist today share none of the elements of hip hop, if you even know what they are, I couldn't give a toss about your opinion, done talking to muppets like you, not going to waste another second on you.

@TheBza - You're pretty new around here, but under no circumstances are you allowed to insult other posters on the forum. Discuss the topic without getting personal.

Sorry, didnt like that comment implying i'm on the dole living of my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

personally I like what I've heard from some Irish hip hop artists
    Terawrizt , Lethal dialect , bitter rocc , all produced excellent albums in recent times , and hats off to them ,
    Tera's new album silence is consent is very good
    and looking forward to hearing Lethals new album 1988 due out later in the year
    listened to some of rejjie snow aka lecs luther stuff , not quite as good as the above , but at least the youtube versions come across better than his performance at Kendrick lamar gig last week
    I think these guys deserve a bit of credit ,

(people always say , nah , I don't want to listen to some rapping about dublin city ...................emm ain't no different than someone from LA rapping about compton , or south central

Exactly, the content in the Rhymes of late, are quality, all relevant stuff thats happening on our door steps. Im not mad on Lecs luther myself, the accent doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I really only listen to Terawrizt/Class A'z, I'll check out some of the stuff posted here, but the main thing that people like to bring up with me is taking the piss about hip hop in an Irish accent :rolleyes: I'd rather hear an Irish rapper rapping in an Irish accent than an Irish rapper rapping in an American accent.

Tera's last album is still in heavy rotation with me and this song is genuinely one of the best I've heard in a long time

Shout out to Tony Mahoney on the beat, check out more of his stuff!

Spot on about the accents man, i could never really get into the likes of terawritz, redzer, siyo and them boys, im more in to the Workin Class Army lads, sons phonetic, RiRa and that, picked up a Scary Eire album today i was looking for, class hearing stuff of that quality coming out of Ireland from the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Irish rap just aint for me at all! Have to say I think Sons Phonetic could do quite well, as there style is somewhat different to most of the Dublin rap I've seen. A lot of the accents do seem like they've been been made harder and stronger just because they are rapping about hard times in the mighty hard Dublin City.

Theres been nothing class released as of yet, and I'll listen to just about anything as I'm open minded when it comes to music , but I just can't relate to the Irish hip hop scene.

The majority of the songs are terribly depressing, you'd swear they've never seen a happy day! Why don't they take a tribe called quest point of view and CHILL

• Advertisement

There's been plenty of class released, your just not into it, LD 50 part II got great reviews as did Costello's album, Sons Phonetic's album 12 labours, that's class. Whatever your into

A few recent Irish Hip Hip releases:

GI - Black Tuna instrumental Album

http://giofficial.bandcamp.com/album/black-tuna

GI & Costello - Mary Jane

http://gicostello.bandcamp.com/album/maryjane

Bought Mary Jane Last night, been dying for it for ages, its spectacular!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

GI instrumentals album is a beast

Its f*cking quality!

I don't understand how the likes of gi & costellos new album gets completely unnoticed on this forum, the lyrics are pure and emotional and the beats are absolutely scandalous, stupid the way an accent puts people off pure talent, songs are better than half the sh*t I've seen posted on boards.ie!

Bought Mary Jane Last night, been dying for it for ages, its spectacular!!!!!!!!!!

I've just finished listening to it. I wouldnt call it spectacular but's a decent album. It starts off strong but after a few songs, it all starts to blend in on itself. There is some more 'upbeat' production tracks (Rock Sh*t Scandalous - dope beat though) which doesnt quite suit Costello and GI, I think they sound best over moody gloomy beats. It has a really strong finish, the last 2 tracks which stray away from the formula of 3 hooks and 3 verses fit very nicely. More of a moodier soundscape is painted and there isnt a reliance to fill all the track with a hook or lyrics, the beat is allowed to be part of the track.

Overall, a bit too long as well.
    Camac Hibs wrote: »
    GI instrumentals album is a beast

It's excellent. Best instrumental album I've heard so far this year (not just Irish Hip Hop, globally).
    Its f*cking quality!

Damn right it is.

In relation to Irish Hip Hop in general going un-noticed here, it mostly does but there are times when it gets brought up when there are some decent releases. I think that even Costello and Lethal Dialect used to post here, as did Collie, Redzer, Nugget and NuCentz....and we cant forget about Shapey.

I think that people are normally attracted to this forum for a general hip hop discussion, rather than focusing just on music from Ireland.
    There is also a more prolific forum specifically for Irish Hip Hop that attracts a bit more discussion on local matters. There are a few members of boards that also are regulars over there.

Ye, i know what you mean boom bap, was a bit tipsy writing that last night, I cant get enough of Mary Jane man, absolutely love it, cant really fault it myself, but i have an unhealthy obsession with the working class army :P, you ever check out the doppelgangaz?, they're from new york, along with their main albums they have two instrumental albums, beats for brothels vol.1 & 2, if you love that GI album, they're worth checking out

http://thedoppelgangaz.bandcamp.com/album/beats-for-brothels-vol-2 (Scroll down a bit)

http://thedoppelgangaz.bandcamp.com/album/beats-for-brothels-vol-1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Black Tuna is fúckin great! just listened to it there, loving it, big ups to GI, very very impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Irish rap just aint for me at all! Have to say I think Sons Phonetic could do quite well, as there style is somewhat different to most of the Dublin rap I've seen. A lot of the accents do seem like they've been been made harder and stronger just because they are rapping about hard times in the mighty hard Dublin City.

Theres been nothing class released as of yet, and I'll listen to just about anything as I'm open minded when it comes to music , but I just can't relate to the Irish hip hop scene.

The majority of the songs are terribly depressing, you'd swear they've never seen a happy day! Why don't they take a tribe called quest point of view and CHILL

Each to their own obviously but a few strange points here.

e.g. the accents - generally not true but even if it was, how do you know the same is not the case in the UK/US?

Being able to relate - again, in relation to the UK/US surely it is easier to relate to. Same language and phrases we are used to etc. Perhaps it's the familiarity which makes it seem less exotic. I can definitely relate to people rapping about life in Dublin than I can about life in Queens or Brixton.

Re themes: Rapping about their environment more than anything, there will always be elements of depression in all music coming from Dublin/Ireland in general. It's the basis of a huge amount of traditional irish music really, ballads and so on. I would disagree that it is all depressing, some of it is dark and serious but never overly depressing.

Genuinely, Lethal Dialect's LD50 Part II is an incredible album all round. From production to lyrics, it is all top notch, no filler. I would put it up there with nearly everything I have listened to over last couple of years.

Advertisement