Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Hip Hop Discussion Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Some of the Workin Class stuff over the past year or two is up there with the best hip hop globally in the same period, GIs production being the common highlight throughout.

I think LD50 Part II has been the strongest release as a complete album but all of those MCs are capable of a killer verse and every release has been pretty strong.

The Sons Phonetic album Twelve Labours was also quality and there was a release recently by Bit Rocc (?) with beautiful production on it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bitter Rocks Cold City album is great. I probably hold it in higher esteem than the Working Class albums. He is also releasing a new EP very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

LUPE wrote: »
    Each to their own obviously but a few strange points here.

e.g. the accents - generally not true but even if it was, how do you know the same is not the case in the UK/US?

Being able to relate - again, in relation to the UK/US surely it is easier to relate to. Same language and phrases we are used to etc. Perhaps it's the familiarity which makes it seem less exotic. I can definitely relate to people rapping about life in Dublin than I can about life in Queens or Brixton.

Re themes: Rapping about their environment more than anything, there will always be elements of depression in all music coming from Dublin/Ireland in general. It's the basis of a huge amount of traditional irish music really, ballads and so on. I would disagree that it is all depressing, some of it is dark and serious but never overly depressing.

Genuinely, Lethal Dialect's LD50 Part II is an incredible album all round. From production to lyrics, it is all top notch, no filler. I would put it up there with nearly everything I have listened to over last couple of years.

Just to add, I wouldn't be a fan of UK rap at all, thats my opinion.

Again, it all depends on what type of rap that your into, and for me it would mainly be the likes of The Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest, Gangstarr and whatnot. The point is, is that I feel that these artists and their songs ooze utter class in their lyrics, something that I have not yet seen from any Irish rapper that has won me over. I respect that they are using the Dublin, Cork or whatever accent that they are using but I haven't quite clicked with their flow and maybe thats my lack of understanding on the whole concept, but it is what it is.

I'm all for Irish rap doing well and would like to see some of the lads/gals do well but like I said I just find it very hard to listen to.As I said I'd listen to Sons a bit and really like what they've got going.

I've found that a lot of people that have been raving about the Irish rap scene have been personally involved in it themselves or know someone that is partaking.There's a reason why it hasn't taken over globally!

I don't mind a bit of depression laced in songs either, its just that there is far too much of it.I have listened to songs however with a lighter tone to them that I've actually quite liked.People need to be cheered up in these times!

Personally I hate ballads, but in regards to traditional music, I'd actually find the majority of it very upbeat and this is from someone who comes from a backround of Irish traditional music (I am not claiming to be an expert on the genre).

I wish the artists well, but as I've said its just not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

The only Irish hip hop I really listen to is the Class A lads and all the other Dublin ones like Nugget and Siyo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrAAvVkICmg

I also watch DFI on YouTube and some of them are pretty good. My least favourite rapper is most likely MC Dubh :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Stooped wrote: »
    My least favourite rapper is most likely MC Dubh :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't even call him a rapper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

In fairness to him he is better than the assassin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Not really into the DFI battles or the class a lads myself, find both tacky.

The DFI battles are OK, i got bored of them very quickly as there are too many 'in' jokes and they got quite repetitive. That's not just for the Irish league, but the overseas ones as well. I think the battles have had their moment and are nto getting any better. I would watch the occassional one now depending on if there was something significant in it. But fair play to the lads for keeping the events going and going international.

As far as Class A's, I used to really not like them. It stemmed back to seeing them play live before i really heard their music and they were dreadful live. Aboslutely shockingly dreadful, I think it was in Crawdaddy.
    They fumbled around the stage, forgot lines, stumbled through songs and laughed and joked all the way.
    I checked out their music after that and thought it was better than how they delivered it live, but it was fairly rough. From there on, their music has consistently gotten better and the quality of production has significanlty improved. So they have started doing things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

Yeah I saw a video of them performing Sin City live. They just did not sound right.

Advertisement