Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behavior of nurses over employment

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

MOD NOTE

This thread is degenerating into one simply "nurse bashing " if this continues I'm going to assume its run it's course and close it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

KDII wrote: »
    We are so "precious" about it because it costs the Irish taxpayer 90,000 euro to train each Irish nurse. See this link to IMNO website: http://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/7100/8731

Unsure about the cost for other healthcare professionals.

I'm not sure I get your point here. Are you saying that because we manage to spend ridiculous amounts of money training people that we should offer salaries we can't afford too because otherwise we would have wasted our money?

There is a certain perverse logic to that but I think an outsider would be saying pay what you can afford for training and salaries. If that means you don't get the recruits or the right calibre of recruit or the training regime you would like, so be it, thats price you pay for being bankrupt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Neutron_pot

I think you might be right MOD . . . This thread has skewed into debating government cuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I'm not sure I get your point here. Are you saying that because we manage to spend ridiculous amounts of money training people that we should offer salaries we can't afford too because otherwise we would have wasted our money?

There is a certain perverse logic to that but I think an outsider would be saying pay what you can afford for training and salaries. If that means you don't get the recruits or the right calibre of recruit or the training regime you would like, so be it, thats price you pay for being bankrupt.

But are we really bankrupt? really? I mean if we were, and we really couldnt afford salaries, then apply cuts to everyone. Not new entrants. If we're really broke, then let government take cuts themselves. I think thats what an outsider would say. What is it...35,000 nurses, and we want to pay 1000 20% less? I have no special love for nurses, and Im not one, but they do a job I wouldnt/couldnt do and like all workers deserve the GOING RATE...whatever that may be. But its not 20% less than the rest....I really cannot get why people dont get this

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

RobFowl wrote: »
    The state is the only employer of nurses in public health and in teaching hospitals and would employ 80%+ of all nurses working here. The pay rates were agreed between nurses representatives and the state so yes I would expect the state to honour those agreements ( the bond holders have been treated with far more respect than those simply doing their jobs well)

Are the pay rates you are referring to for existing staff or new entrants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

Deise Vu wrote: »

Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Ryder wrote: »
    all workers deserve the GOING RATE...whatever that may be. But its not 20% less than the rest....I really cannot get why people dont get this
    This is the point. What is the going rate? If a lot of these jobs are filled then that is the going rate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Right I think that'll do for now. This has veered well off topic and I'm not sure it's heading anywhere worth going to...

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement