Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behavior of nurses over employment

Options
  • 15-01-2013 4:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭

Is anyone else irritated by the behavior of recently graduated nurses and those seeking employment??

The HSE opened up 1,000 nursing positions for graduates and others looking for work and these would-be nurses started to boycott the positions, even going as far as forming a whole "anti" campaign around it.

I think this is totally selfish of them, i understand reduced salary is the issue of contention but isnt better than being unemployed??

Also it provides an opputunity to gain valuable experience, money to leave the county if necessary and apply for other nursing positions.

Seems selfish to me, like some arrogant sense of entitlement . . . .

Thoughts???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highcream

If this is indeed what they did then i agree with u.
    Public servants seem to have a feeling of entitlement in spite of their 35 hour work week,pension,lump sum and job security.
    The tail is wagging the dog
    Is anyone else irritated by the behavior of recently graduated nurses and those seeking employment??

The HSE opened up 1,000 nursing positions for graduates and others looking for work and these would-be nurses started to boycott the positions, even going as far as forming a whole "anti" campaign around it.

I think this is totally selfish of them, i understand reduced salary is the issue of contention but isnt better than being unemployed??

Also it provides an opputunity to gain valuable experience, money to leave the county if necessary and apply for other nursing positions.

Thoughts???

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

highcream wrote: »
    Public servants seem to have a feeling of entitlement in spite of their 35 hour work week,pension,lump sum and job security.

Disagree.
    These nurses are fully qualified professionals. They will be doing the exact same jobs of others whom they will be working with hand in hand but on a much reduced salary.
    Where is this so called sense of entitlement? They should just accept whatever scraps the government throws there way?
    And you should get your facts right about 35 hour weeks for public servants including nurses, as well as this nonsense about lump sums and to a lesser extent - job security.
    No doubt it's a sector which is safer than most but there will be much needed junior doctors qualified soon and no job at the end of it.

There is a shortage of health care professionals in this country and if you think slashing there wages is the 'correct' way to go then this country is going to even worse off than it is now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Neutron_pot

Dont get me wrong guys. . . .This isnt a dig at the public sector. I only refer to this situation where nurses have turned their noses up at 1000 positions

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dont get me wrong guys. . . .This isnt a dig at the public sector. I only refer to this situation where nurses have turned their noses up at 1000 positions

They are standing up for themselves and their dependents. Nothing wrong with that. The cost of living for them has not come down by 20%.

Blind people,those with alzheimers,home help were all cut in the last budget to meet the troikas demands because the pay could not be cut from the health budget.According to James Reilly,70% of the costs in that budget is pay which has yet to be touched.
    In spite of all these devastating cuts to people with disabilities pay INCREMENTS for high paid civil/public servants continued.
    2 of my aunts are nurses.They do 3 12 hour shifts a week in Dublin hospitals.

Xeyn wrote: »
    Disagree.
    These nurses are fully qualified professionals. They will be doing the exact same jobs of others whom they will be working with hand in hand but on a much reduced salary.
    Where is this so called sense of entitlement? They should just accept whatever scraps the government throws there way?
    And you should get your facts right about 35 hour weeks for public servants including nurses, as well as this nonsense about lump sums and to a lesser extent - job security.
    No doubt it's a sector which is safer than most but there will be much needed junior doctors qualified soon and no job at the end of it.

There is a shortage of health care professionals in this country and if you think slashing there wages is the 'correct' way to go then this country is going to even worse off than it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

They are not turning their noses up at the positions themselves, but at being treated like second class workers compared to their colleagues. And correct me if I wrong but some quick calculations tell me their new wage would be in just above 10EUR an hour.

Minimum wage is 8.65 an hour. MCDonalds pay a starting wage of 9EUR an hour - with a lot less responsiblity and (hopefully) less life and death situations - oh and no need of a degree:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/wake-up-to-a-career-and-good-coffee-at-mcdonalds-3029015.html

You really think 10EUR an hour is a good enough wage for doing such a responsible and essential job ?

Edit: Probably better career development in McD's and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Blind people,those with alzheimers,home help were all cut in the last budget to meet the troikas demands because the pay could not be cut from the health budget.According to James Reilly,70% of the costs in that budget is pay which has yet to be touched.

The HSE pay figure includes managment and admin - whom are far too numerous and make alot more than entry level nurses do. Why target the front line staff who do the most essential work ?
    In spite of all these devastating cuts to people with disabilities pay INCREMENTS for high paid civil/public servants continued.

Are you making some point about your aunts ? not sure why you've included this info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Xeyn wrote: »

Disagree.

They are free to become nurses elsewhere. For example in the private sector.

Market conditions have changed dramatically, so has the depth if the potential employer's purse.

I would call it sense of entitlement indeed.

<Mod Snip>
    Please refrain from comments belittling nursing as a profession

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

They are standing up for themselves and their dependents. Nothing wrong with that. The cost of living for them has not come down by 20%.

we all know about the recession, but all these have been trained at some cost to the country, nurses, doctors etc get a high quality training, with the sick, the disabled, the carers been made the scapegoats, time brings change, nothing can stay the same, it cannot, why can all the highly trained professionals give something back to their country, for the training and teaching that they recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

It would be very very very demoralising to be in a position where you are in the same job as the person sitting beside you, doing exactly the same work as the person sitting beside you, and getting 15% less pay.....or whatever the situation is.

And in addition, it is just plain wrong, in a moral sense.

You can say all you want about, shouldnt they be grateful just to have a job no matter what the pay.....I disagree......i think people should have higher aspirations in life. Its not like nurses dont have other options. There are plenty of other countries who would be delighted to have them.

I dont know any nurses to be honest, there are none in my family. But from my experience of dealing with them, and knowing what they earn, and comparing that to what other people earn in private or public sector for much less important and easier jobs (I'm looking at you back bencher TD!!), I dont think they are paid enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

<Mod Snip>

Please refrain from comments belittling nursing as a profession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I am curious about the pay arrangements for this shift. Is the last four hours paid at a premium (ie overtime) rate?

They are not turning their noses up at the positions themselves, but at being treated like second class workers compared to their colleagues. And correct me if I wrong but some quick calculations tell me their new wage would be in just above 10EUR an hour.

Minimum wage is 8.65 an hour. MCDonalds pay a starting wage of 9EUR an hour - with a lot less responsiblity and (hopefully) less life and death situations - oh and no need of a degree:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/i...s-3029015.html

You really think 10EUR an hour is a good enough wage for doing such a responsible and essential job ?

Why do people insist on looking at this as a glass half empty? i cant agree with this for a couple of reasons;

1. Nobody is suggesting these selfish nurses work for this wage for the rest of their lives. . .Emigration, private sector, or just dont apply to begin with

2. hundreds and hundreds of people have have choosen or had no choice but to take up FAS bridge schemes with only an extra 50 quid on top of the dole. - Not a peep out of them.

3. Hundreds of post grads and researchers working for their masters or Ph.D have to survive on stipends of less than 10,000 a year - not a peep out of them.

We all have to start at the bottom and work up! or in some cases re-start at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm a student nurse. I'm not irritated by the nurses campaign. I'm also not irritated by the newly qualified teachers' campaign.

To 'create' these position the HSE is letting go agency staff that have been filling in these posts since the recruitment embargo. The voluntary hospitals that hired 2012 nursing grads in September, usually on 12 month contracts, have been instructed to cancel those contracts and tell the grads to apply for the HSE Scheme. There will be no increase in the number of nurses working, no closed wards opened up again and no reduction in waiting lists for procedures.

Only 2012 graduates are eligible to apply for this, not 2011, not 2010 - not 1999. The newly qualified, the more obedient and the least confident - that's who the HSE wants to exploit.

The 81 weeks I'll have spent on placement during my 4 year course (only 36 of them paid - less than minimum wage while being counted as a member of staff on a ward) will have given me 'valuable experience'. NHS hospitals recognise the value of the Irish training, and Irish trained nurses won't be needing money to leave the country as moving expenses and the first months accommadation are usually provided by the UK hospitals that come over here to recruit.

But, really, is it the function of our health service and our colleges to train health staff for export?

Thoughts???

I don't think it's selfish to want to be paid more than €22,000 a year on a fixed two year contract, as a degree qualified professional with a lot of responsibility. Porters, cleaners, health care assistants - none of them require degrees and all have starting salaries higher than €22,000.

35 hour week? Nurses in hospitals in the shift patterns I'm familiar with work 13 7.30am to 8.15pm shifts over a month, typically 3 shifts a week and one week with 4.

Pension? New entrants, which these 2012 grads are, will be receving pensions based on an average of their lifetime earnings, and pay the pension levy.

Lump sum and job security? It's a 2 year fixed contract, at the end of it there'll be a 'good bye' and instructions to clear out your locker.

flutered wrote: »
    we all know about the recession, but all these have been trained at some cost to the country, nurses, doctors etc get a high quality training, with the sick, the disabled, the carers been made the scapegoats, time brings change, nothing can stay the same, it cannot, why can all the highly trained professionals give something back to their country, for the training and teaching that they recieved.

KFC and McDonalds give training too and pay the equivalent of what a nurse would get with less responsibility.
    I don't want a disgruntled and angry nurse looking after me when I am in the hospital. They have a very responsible job and should be paid accordingly.

I agree totally with this post.I know a vet who started an equine job recently(just graduated) on 16k. U have no idea how hard a course vet is.We also have tons of engineers,architects in similar positions.
    The difference between these graduates is they dont feel that sense of entitlement.
    Saying all that,i would rather we start with cutting the high paid public/civil servants and work down.Those guys are rotten to the core and care only about their massive pensions/lump sums. How its gotten to the stage that bureaucrats are "negotiating" whether we should reduce public sector pay is beyond me.They should have no say whatsoever. Its their pay cut or cutting the pay of old people who have to wear nappies and cant even make a cup of tea for themselves.Disgusting

Why do people insist on looking at this as a glass half empty? i cant agree with this for a couple of reasons;

1. Nobody is suggesting these selfish nurses work for this wage for the rest of their lives. . .Emigration, private sector, or just dont apply to begin with

2. hundreds and hundreds of people have have choosen or had no choice but to take up FAS bridge schemes with only an extra 50 quid on top of the dole. - Not a peep out of them.

3. Hundreds of post grads and researchers working for their masters or Ph.D have to survive on stipends of less than 10,000 a year - not a peep out of them.

We all have to start at the bottom and work up! or in some cases re-start at the bottom

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    This right here. My parents quilified as nurses 30 years ago before it was a degree. They now supervise students on work-placement and recent grads. In their day they worked hard Now days the new nurse's come in, sit in the duty office all day doing paper-work, texting etc. When asked to clean a patient or even bring them a glass of water they turn their noses up as "that's the domestics job, I have a degree"

Massive generalization I know but it does happen.

Your parents could fail those students. I've never seen that happen when I've been on placement, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. Most places I've been in are so short staffed I'd have been eaten alive by the nurses if I'd tried to sit around and do nothing.
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    I am curious about the pay arrangements for this shift. Is the last four hours paid at a premium (ie overtime) rate?

No premium for the last four hours. Only premiums are for night duty - 7.30pm to 8.15am (+25%) and Sundays/Public holidays (+100%). I think Saturdays get an extra 12 euro per shift.

I understand where you are coming from . . . but if you have this many issues then why cant nurses just peacefully decline, instead of making a huge fuss over pay, cuts, morals etc??

but to address your points, yes the hse is a joke and poorly admisistrated,

secondly ive spent four years doing a VERY tough science degree with unpaid placement in a hospital too, and now for my masters research position, i earn less than 10,000 a year . .is my effort somehow less than yours

Thirdly incase you havnt noticed emigration is a BIG part of life these days, not just nurses...everybody.

I just dont get why nurses would refuse this, its counter productive

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Thoughts???

Thoughts......well its disaster capitalism at its best. They are efectively cutting 1000 jobs to add 1000 jobs at lower pay. Anybody, anybody who thinks that these posts will then be advertised in 2 years at a higher rate is mistaken. Its more likely that existing salaries will be reduced to meet it.
    Therefore its right that nurses stand up to this. The HSE is the only employer, with a de facto monopoly....how else do you voice disapproval?

Free education..shouldnt they have to pay it back? Maybe, but that logic must be applied equally to all graduates not just the health sector

Governement attempts to reduce pay and conditions would be met with far more acceptance if they started with themselves. There is no getting away from the fiscal situation, but why apply it to one sector and not to all? To be honest, I really dont get how people can wonder about the nurses motivation here

secondly ive spent four years doing a VERY tough science degree with unpaid placement in a hospital too, and now for my masters research position, i earn less than 10,000 a year . .is my effort somehow less than yours

Thirdly incase you havnt noticed emigration is a BIG part of life these days, not just nurses...everybody.

I just dont get why nurses would refuse this, its counter productive

I studied a science degree, and then worked for a while in an unrelated field before choosing to enter nursing. Is there such a thing as a science degree that isn't tough? :p

Placement as a nursing student isn't like being in a lab or doing practicals. Patients are vulnerable, and we're trying to not harm them while learning. We're in uniforms and thus patients and visitors see us as a member of staff. It's long, tiring days and if we miss a day (or even a half day) due to being sick or having a family funeral, etc we have to make up that time during the holidays. It's hands on work. It was also an eye opener to me how much abuse health care staff get from patients, families and visitors - both physical and verbal.

I really like nursing, but I don't know if financially I would do it for €22,000. I didn't choose to go into nursing to get rich, but I'm not a martyr or a nun - while it may appear the first point on the salary scale for nursing is a lot at €27,000, it doesn't really go up that much compared to other careers as the employee gains experience. There's no bonuses, some allowances for extra qualifications but not much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Some of the ignorance in this thread is disturbing.

Nurses in my experience work damn bloody hard for their money. €22k is an insult. The whole texting while working thing is a very rare exception and frankly the accusation aimed at younger nurses is a bit of whining by the older generation who have indeed worked hard themselves too. Also they do not always work 3 day weeks, and their shift is longer than 12 hours for purposes of the next shift taking over care.

If the government has paid for my medical education, then why are medical schools sending me €60,000 worth of bills for fees? My med loan will be €100,000. If they want people to continue this kind of investment in themselves, they need to pay well - and despite what the troika think, people are fecking off in their droves because better pay and conditions will be paid elsewhere.

PhD students DO complain... generally not in health sciences forum. Their also generally aware of what money they will get when they sign on. This €22k thing has been sprung on nurses and midwives who are already studying.

If the government had any balls it would stop picking out various sectors for paycuts and simply raise income taxes to undeniably catch everyone based on their income.

The reason they continue to degrade conditions of health sector frontline staff rather than those in admin etc is no doubt because every time they have taken what they needed from these workers there has been nothing more than a nationwide mumble for a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

A very disappointing response from the graduate nurses.

Agreed, this is an insult from a spineless government . . . .but bottom line,

which would be more beneficial? Applying for one of these positions before there gone or sitting out on the street with a yellow tshirt and blowing a whistle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

which would be more beneficial? Applying for one of these positions before there gone or sitting out on the street with a yellow tshirt and blowing a whistle?

♫ Did you exchange a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

first they came for the nurses, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a nurse .........

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

fupduck wrote: »
    first they came for the nurses, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a nurse .........

Isn't it strange that they always hit the most vulnerable. Lets not compare cuts in other sectors, two wrongs dot make a right and it that mentality that the govt would love the populous to adopt.
    'My income has dropped, why shouldn't theirs?'
    Standing up for yourselves is something that should be commended in this country because far few people do it.

♫ Did you exchange a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?

Not sure if... really clever comback

or jibberish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Not sure if... really clever comback

or jibberish

comback?
    Shine on you crazy diamond.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

juan.kerr wrote: »
    A very disappointing response from the graduate nurses.

They're not like most civil servants in that they cannot access the net when working ;)

• Advertisement

I'd sit out on the street to be honest but it would be a nice warm street in Dubai or somewhere similar.
    Do you think the nurses will be the last to be hit. They already have reserve gardai who they use at every public event. Next we will see volunteer firemen, reserve army and then maybe a few butchers used to perform operations in hospitals while they travel abroad for their own operations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement