Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KFC on the way for Navan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sideofbacon

dgt wrote: »
    +1

It's the student's choice, not the choice of some interfering busy body. If they want to have lunch there so be it.

Look at Trimgate any school day and who has more school customers: MJ's (centra/McAloons these days isn't it?) or Mc Donalds?

If more people would keep their noses out of what they think is best or "you should do this" attitude the world would be a better place

Exactly,brilliantly put.Students aren't stupid,they are well well aware of what's healthy and unhealthy for them.

Maybe if the principal tackled the bigger issue which is kids not getting enough time for PE in schools.How many of her students get any exercise at all,apart from walking between classes or outside to get a lift??

A student makes choices everyday,will I do my homework,will I smoke a fag etc etc so they will also make a choice about what they eat for lunch.And if they don't eat a KFC they'll simply eat from either of the chinese restaurants opposite the school or perhaps a more healthier option as that is their choice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Access wrote: »
    The list of objectors was numerous against this plan... The biggest of these being the HSE.

They didnt take time and effort to object for the craic. There is logic for objecting on the basis of location alone.

I'd count that as a waste of vital resource TBH, they have much better things to be doing with their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭In the wind

Did the KFC actually go ahead in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Did the KFC actually go ahead in the end?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/05/07/4037518-kfc-refused-permission-for-navan-drive-through/
    An Bord Pleanala has refused permission for a controversial KFC drive-through restaurant at Brews Hill, Navan, in a decision which has been weclcomed by the St Joseph’s Mercy Convent school community.
    An appeal by the school and others against Meath County Council’s decision to grant permission for the project to Scotco Eastern Ireland Ltd has been successful.
    The proposal was for a double height, single-storey café and drive-through restaurant, along with 38 car parking spaces, vehicular signage and other works.
    A previous application for the same site was refused by An Bord Pleanala in April last year.
    St Joseph’s principal, Mary Muilligan said she is delighted and relieved at the decision but was disappointed that the school had to go through the appeals process on two occasions.
    She particulalry welcomed the decision in light of recent reports on the growing obesity problem in Ireland.
    She pointed out that the appeal had been an expensive process for the school.
    Ms Mulligan appealed to Meath County Council to take into account that permission had been refused twice and to refuse any further applications for fast food restaurants at that site.
    Cllr Tommy Reilly welcomed the refusal, which he described as great news for the schools in the area and for the people of Brews Hill and St Benildus Villas, who would have had to deal with serious traffic congestion.
    He called on Meath County Council to now try and purchase the site for the town of Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

There are enough fast food joints in the town! If there was no school nearby, do you think they'd be looking to build in Brews Hill? I doubt it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

chewed wrote: »
    There are enough fast food joints in the town! If there was no school nearby, do you think they'd be looking to build in Brews Hill? I doubt it very much.

Yes KFC - modern reincarnation of Nick O'Teen

nickoteen1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

aye, council will purchase site to slap another parking charge on the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Could have been a nice jobs boost for the town. Don't really see why having schools nearby is an issue. Sure the students can just as easily go to Ezio's or Mc Donalds.

• Advertisement

ah sure the council had a great spot for the cinema out at the Retail park on Athboy rd, but the powers that be wanted to bring the cinema closer to town centre to reall gridlock the town.. Navans loss, Blanchardstowns gain.

No matter what the outcome was to be, it did stir up heated debate on this thread in fairness - for or against.

I personally was against it being next door to a school - I mean for feck sake KFC... ye were pulling the piss!

But saying that, i would be for it if it was placed somewhere like the retail park (homebase).

On a side note, after watching that documentary on KFC - "The million pound chicken shop" on BBC, i came away hating how management treat the minimum wage workers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

The Retail park is semi ghost town.

Sick KFC and/or one of the usual in a small food court beside the cinema, even a place like the leisureplex.

But that makes too much sense I suppose

Access wrote:
    I personally was against it being next door to a school - I mean for feck sake KFC... ye were pulling the piss!

Standard's already set with a pub across from the main gate, it's pulling the piss ABP suddenly growing a moral conscience setting a double standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Oh please.

Believe it or not, teenagers have the capability to know whether KFC or any other fast food is bad for them. Ezio's, The China Garden and McDonalds are all within striking distance for Pats and Mercy pupils, none of whom base their market on students.

NufcNavan wrote:
    Believe it or not, teenagers have the capability to know whether KFC or any other fast food is bad for them. Ezio's, The China Garden and McDonalds are all within striking distance for Pats and Mercy pupils, none of whom base their market on students.

...which is the point I made!!! There are already enough fast food outlets in the town.

Not sure how many fast food outlets there are really, mcD's and Smc are all I can think of, surely that's a fairly small number, even then we're denied the privilege of a drive through.

bladespin wrote: »
    Not sure how many fast food outlets there are really, mcD's and Smc are all I can think of, surely that's a fairly small number, even then we're denied the privilege of a drive through.

The privilege of a drive through?

Never heard it put that way!

Takes the hassle out of it - no searching for parking, probably having have to pay for that then queueing up etc, believe me it's a privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

...which is the point I made!!! There are already enough fast food outlets in the town.

No, the point you made was that KFC was only interested in setting up on Brews Hill because of the school nearby.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    No, the point you made was that KFC was only interested in setting up on Brews Hill because of the school nearby.

That was one point! If your read my post, the other point I made was....

"There are enough fast food joints in the town!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

That was one point! If your read my post, the other point I made was....

"There are enough fast food joints in the town!"

I read your post the same way nufcnavan did. You didn't really make it very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Has anyone mentioned how disgusting KFC is yet?

Don't see what that has to do with planning permission, some of it's a quite nice anyway.
    Food police is not in ABP's portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Does the cinema still smell of piss?

bladespin wrote: »
    Takes the hassle out of it - no searching for parking, probably having have to pay for that then queueing up etc, believe me it's a privilege.

Im surprised by you bladespin! :D you are normally diplomatic on issues like this!

Most of the time i have gone into town to pick up a take away and the general way it is for most people is it has been after 6pm so no parking charges and no having to search for parking.

For funk sake people - get out of the car - walk into the building - purchase takeaway - go back to the car - drive home and consume! :D

On the rare occasion I 'treat' myself it's usually a Gino's so there's no real hassle but I have been through the torture of bringing the kids to McD's for a happy meal, it's so much easier to go to a drive through like they have in Ashbourne or Drogheda I'd be inclined to go out of town just for the DT.

To Blanch?

chrysagon wrote:
    To Blanch?

Drogheda or Ashbourne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Has anyone mentioned how disgusting KFC is yet?

I dont eat much KFC, but you cant argue with their chicken wings.

Would have loved to see a KFC in Navan, but it seems some people are categorically against improving anything there.

Advertisement