Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KFC on the way for Navan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

If they build it in the new park and a ti**y bar, that would be brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Reston

Has anybody heard anymore? Has planning permission been accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

According to the Meath Chronicle meath county council has given permission to go ahead this week even though there was numerous objections from residents, the nearby school, local businesses and even an objection by the HSE.

The nearby school is to appeal.

This is so so wrong to have a fast food outlet right next to a primary and secondary school.

Fine, its creating up to 40 jobs, but in all fairness put it out somewhere like the homebase retail park if it has go ahead.

Bunch of muppets in the council... No joined up thinking.

Like i said earlier... They are closing navan hospital departments and opening fast food outlets in the town. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭washiskin

Not just that, parking is such a premium in the town that if the car park there goes, so will a lot of business from the street. Unless, of course, everyone is a selfish ars*hole who will take a free space in Aldi and feck their customers....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Access wrote: »
    According to the Meath Chronicle meath county council has given permission to go ahead this week even though there was numerous objections from residents, the nearby school, local businesses and even an objection by the HSE.

The nearby school is to appeal.

This is so so wrong to have a fast food outlet right next to a primary and secondary school.

Fine, its creating up to 40 jobs, but in all fairness put it out somewhere like the homebase retail park if it has go ahead.

Bunch of muppets in the council... No joined up thinking.

Like i said earlier... They are closing navan hospital departments and opening fast food outlets in the town. FFS.

I cant see how closing hospital departments equates with an opening of a kfc ...Anyway a redevelopment of navan hospital is about to start

But I agree they should have it out in an industrial park the council of navan are crooks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Don't see what the school has to object about tbh, it's close to the rear entrance but shouldn't cause any traffic probs for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

bladespin wrote: »
    Don't see what the school has to object about tbh, it's close to the rear entrance but shouldn't cause any traffic probs for them.

It's probably not a traffic issue, but rather the notion of a fast food joint being that close to a school when we are in the midst of a childhood obesity crisis.

At least make the little feckers walk a bit of a distance for their fatty food! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Apart from the roundy little kids unable to get out of the way of traffic ;)

anyone object to the chinese located across the road open at lunch time pumping chips and msg curry in to kids ?

Vego wrote: »
    anyone object to the chinese located across the road open at lunch time pumping chips and msg curry in to kids ?

That is a sit down buffet restaurant. Not a takeaway.

Your point is invalid.

• Advertisement

china garden = take away

point validated .....

china garden = take away

point validated .....

China garden = take away open after 5.30pm when the schools are closed

Point still invalid.

what are you on about the china garden is open at lunch time ....and you can order take away in it

what are you on about the china garden is open at lunch time ....and you can order take away in it

Yes it is... But in fairness when did you ever see a student from pats or Josephs heading into china garden during lunch time... Its way beyond any students price range as is the chinese sit down buffet a few doors up.

They would be way more likely to head into kfc if it was there as its more their price range.

Hope this fails on appeal for this location.

It made it onto Newstalk this morning...

Principal of St. Josephs vs cllr Shane castells

The principal was concise and to the point and made a good case for it not being where it is proposed, but Ivan had to rein in shane castells as he went off on one about the history of navan basically without answering the question put to him until he was pressed for an answer.

It should be on the newstalk listenback service... just before the 8am news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

It made it onto Newstalk this morning...

Principal of St. Josephs vs cllr Shane castells

The principal was concise and to the point and made a good case for it not being where it is proposed, but Ivan had to rein in shane castells as he went off on one about the history of navan basically without answering the question put to him until he was pressed for an answer.

It should be on the newstalk listenback service... just before the 8am news.

Politician witters on without addressing the question shocker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sideofbacon

Yes it is... But in fairness when did you ever see a student from pats or Josephs heading into china garden during lunch time... Its way beyond any students price range as is the chinese sit down buffet a few doors up.

They would be way more likely to head into kfc if it was there as its more their price range.

I see students in there everyday actually as I walk that street on my lunch break and actually live in the area.All you have to do is look at Brews Hill at 1.30pm and see empty boxes on the street because they have to eat there food outside on the street.It's not beyond a students price range as you can get a meal for €5.

Also take a look at O'Flahertys during lunch time,students in there having dinner.They have money believe it or not!

KFC isn't cheap by the way,a meal deal in there will cost them over the €5 mark.

We used to go every friday for lunch, suppers all round (FYI there's very little in the difference between the cost of a snack box and a supper), I still see uniforms there regularly.
    I don't think access (sorry lol) to fast food is anything to do with the school, that's a matter for parents.

We used to go every friday for lunch, suppers all round (FYI there's very little in the difference between the cost of a snack box and a supper), I still see uniforms there regularly.
    I don't think access (sorry lol) to fast food is anything to do with the school, that's a matter for parents.

Fair enough, i didnt think students were lunch time customers of the likes of china garden. Point valid so... (its not the first time ive been wrong!) ;-)

But, to get back on topic, the point is that there is a fast food drive through going in a location at the gate of a primary/secondary school.

This in a town of already 20+ takeaways is so wrong.

Id have no objection if it was placed outside the town in the likes of the homebase retail park, something like where it is in drogheda.

Maybe the school should keep students on school premises during lunch time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 ANMHI

We dont need KFC in that location. Other locations more suitable outside the town. If there is a drive-through then cars can drive out to retail park where there are plenty of empty units at the moment with loads of free parking available. Beside a school is not acceptable. Enough traffic on this road with 1000 students in two schools, Aldi, Hospital, O'Mahoney's and Pairc Tailteann.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭washiskin

Look, it's Meath County Council we're talking about here, the same shower of incompetent backslappers who are currenly spending money resurfacing huge swathes of the unblemished N2 between Kilmoon & Ashbourne while the backroads around the County are no better than donkey tracks in places :mad::mad:

They'll get their own way on this in the end by dressing it up with so-called conditions & assurances attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I don't see the issue with having KFC in this location. I went to at Joseph's and an odd time people would use the Chinese but this wasn't often. Most would bring their lunch or get it in the school canteen. I don't agree with the principal saying she feared it was sending out the wrong message to kids. It's going to boost employment in Navan and that's a great thing. Students are not stupid and don't automatically become brainwashed when they see logos for fast food chains. I think they should be given more credit.

ANMHI wrote: »
    We dont need KFC in that location. Other locations more suitable outside the town. If there is a drive-through then cars can drive out to retail park where there are plenty of empty units at the moment with loads of free parking available.
    So agree with this plus a nice shiny (and smelling good) cinema up there would be great too.
    ANMHI wrote: »
    Beside a school is not acceptable.
    This I'm struggling with, how is locating a KFC beside a school a big issue? This school borders several pubs, bookmakers and tobacconists, surely food can't be considered as less acceptable? Traffic wise St.Micheals is served mainly by the Railway street entrance, which is always mental anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

So agree with this plus a nice shiny (and smelling good) cinema up there would be great too.
    This I'm struggling with, how is locating a KFC beside a school a big issue? This school borders several pubs, bookmakers and tobacconists, surely food can't be considered as less acceptable? Traffic wise St.Micheals is served mainly by the Railway street entrance, which is always mental anyway.

Don't you mean St. Joseph's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

So a few lads will instead of getting a sun supper for their lunch will get a boneless banquet. Not that big of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

This I'm struggling with, how is locating a KFC beside a school a big issue? This school borders several pubs, bookmakers and tobacconists, surely food can't be considered as less acceptable?

How can you compare KFC with these? You need to be 18 or over to enter a pub or bookmaker and over 16 to buy cigarettes, which automatically rules out most students.

chewed wrote: »
    How can you compare KFC with these? You need to be 18 or over to enter a pub or bookmaker and over 16 to buy cigarettes, which automatically rules out most students.

No, you don't, anyone old enough to walk can enter a pub or a bookmakers, there are students over (and under)16 too who smoke, I'm not making any comparison, just a statement, surely a KFC is no wrose or better than any of these other businesses.

I still don't get the big deal with having a fast food outlet close to the school, what gives? The nannying of some people is beyond my stomach tbh, no one forces anyone to eat anything they don't want to here, it should not in any way be up to the planning authorities to decide who has access to ecrtain types of food. I'm sure the students are more than smart enough to know what they should eat.

No, you don't, anyone old enough to walk can enter a pub or a bookmakers, there are students over (and under)16 too who smoke, I'm not making any comparison, just a statement, surely a KFC is no wrose or better than any of these other businesses.

I still don't get the big deal with having a fast food outlet close to the school, what gives? The nannying of some people is beyond my stomach tbh, no one forces anyone to eat anything they don't want to here, it should not in any way be up to the planning authorities to decide who has access to ecrtain types of food. I'm sure the students are more than smart enough to know what they should eat.

The list of objectors was numerous against this plan... The biggest of these being the HSE.

They didnt take time and effort to object for the craic. There is logic for objecting on the basis of location alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

+1

It's the student's choice, not the choice of some interfering busy body. If they want to have lunch there so be it.

Look at Trimgate any school day and who has more school customers: MJ's (centra/McAloons these days isn't it?) or Mc Donalds?

If more people would keep their noses out of what they think is best or "you should do this" attitude the world would be a better place

Advertisement