Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feedback on rose carbon bikes needed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Hungrycol wrote: »
    You think you wife got excited for a while thinking you were going all out Romantic this Valentines?

nope

she's with me long enough to know better..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

route66 wrote: »
    We want pictures, reviews, the lot!
    IMG-20130216-00017.jpg
    Hope the picture works.
    Put it together during the week and its ready to roll (fit wise). But a cold is keeping me in doors (typical....... the one good weekend in ages).

Agree with Mossym its noticably lighter (than my lapierre at any rate).
    First impression is that Mavic hubs are not all they are made out to be. I think I'll be putting my Hope Hoops on this. I think they may even be heavier also.

Reviews to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Very nice!
    Like the all black groupset too. :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

lovely looking bike, rose seem to be great value at the moment, btw is your stem reversed? seems very high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

What is it about Rose Bikes that they don't get used? We have disolving carbon and man flu stuff going on.

Seriously, if ye can't manage it, tell me where you live and I'll take them off your hands! ;-)

• Advertisement

Mine got a 90k spin today. Absolutely loved it. Will post more impressions tomorrow.

Bad side, got some knee pain 60k in. was sore rest of ride. Since I got home I can't bend my leg without serious pain. Not blaming the bike at all, but planned ride for tomorrow is off

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AtomMcC

What is it about Rose Bikes that they don't get used? We have disolving carbon and man flu stuff going on.

Seriously, if ye can't manage it, tell me where you live and I'll take them off your hands! ;-)
    Rose bike being put through its paces at the moment here. 150km tomorrow and open race next week. Might take the guys a few spins to set up. 'tis still February. Plenty of time.

mossym wrote: »
    Mine got a 90k spin today. Absolutely loved it. Will post more impressions tomorrow.

Bad side, got some knee pain 60k in. was sore rest of ride. Since I got home I can't bend my leg without serious pain. Not blaming the bike at all, but planned ride for tomorrow is off

Saddle position?

Saddle position?

potentially, although i'm thinking more cleat position. changed the cleats on my shoes as well before the ride, as the left knee is sore and the right is fine i'm thinking i have the left cleat out of position, i;d have thought saddle would have hurt both knees.

as for the bike, well i loved it. super stiff, super light. it's a big step up for me, cycling less than a year on the road(mtb'er before that), and my other bike is an aluminum Felt z95, so a much more relaxed fit.

the rose is just so much stiffer, so much more aggressive, it feels like you just point it, and it wants to go in that direction, pedaling just helps to get it there. super smooth, and the Di2 is a dream , instantaneous shifting, just have to think about it and it is done.

the aero blades on the kysriums do catch a lot more crosswind than the wheels on my felt, noticed it a good few times yesterday, but nothing too serious, and something i'll get used to very quickly.

all in all i love it, super light, super fast ,(moved into the top 10 in two Strava sgements yesterday, which doesn't happen for me ).

just need to get this knee pain sorted and i'll be putting a lot of K's up on this bike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

are you over/under extending your legs? pain in one knee might just be because most of us have a "good" leg, check to see if you setup is similar to your old bike (saddle position, stem, bars etc.), even with a slightly wonky setup you shouldnt have knackered your knee to the extent that it hurts a lot just trying to bend it, enjoy the bike anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

So jealous of the Di2 :(

lovely looking bike, rose seem to be great value at the moment, btw is your stem reversed? seems very high

It's a +\-6degree stem. If I flip it it will be too low. However the saddle handle bar height difference on my old bike is 9cm. This is only 6cm so I may move some of the spacers up. Or flip it and move the 5 mm spacer down. Just want to get used to it first.

You're all heart route66.......:D

Konkers wrote: »
    You're all heart route66.......:D

More jealousy really ;) Hope the cold gets better - if it progresses to a man flu you won't be on the bike until 2014!

On a more positive note, a direct quote from the Rose Web site:
    At Rose you can exchange your stem for a different length within a period of four weeks.
    Problem Solved?

Oh - and just spotted, the configurator appears to be working again !

Folks promised a review of this as there was interest from one or two others.

Have been out three times over the last 7 days and have had 10 hours in the saddle.

In a word.......Deadly. Lighter, stiffer, felt more in control and.......(dare I say/imagine it) faster. Fit is perfect also from following their guide or fitting calculator. Ultegra brakes are miles better than the tiagra I have. Integrated hallow tech BB is great (very stiff and smooth) when compared to my own where u can see the cups outside the frame BB (if that makes sense).
    On the negatives, I did notice that on rough roads on a descent I could feel a lot through the handle bars. However it's something I will have to get used to. Also note the handlebars are compact, so narrower at the hoods than in the drops (news to me until I researched it after thinking they had fitted the wrong size). So I have a handlebar that is 2cm narrower at the hoods than those on my old bike. On the positive side it means being in the drops is more comfy, plus the height difference from tops to drops is less. Handlebars have changed a lot in the last 5 years. I asked them if they would change the bars and offered to pay shipping but they refused.

Thanks a million to everyone who provided feedback when asked. Happy to do likewise if anyone is considering buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nice one. I don't think compact neccesarily means that the hoods and drops are different widths. I know that on my training bike the bars do flare out on the drops, but they don't on my other bike. Shallow drop bars are the best thing ever though to help ease the sometimes unhappy marriage between the inflexible mamil and his pro-race geometry road bike! :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    Nice one. I don't think compact neccesarily means that the hoods and drops are different widths. I know that on my training bike the bars do flare out on the drops, but they don't on my other bike. Shallow drop bars are the best thing ever though to help ease the sometimes unhappy marriage between the inflexible mamil and his pro-race geometry road bike! :)

Yeah probably not on most but on the FSA compact wing "pro" (if you don't mind) the difference is noticeable.

The shallower drops certainly do make the creeks less audible when you sit up and helps hide the extent of the tub.

xbox gamer wrote: »
    Just to let you all know that my other half (i entered under her name and mine) was lucky to win a Rosebike wishlist competition at Christmas to the value of €2,500. I was always in the belief somebody was taking the piss but i have received proof when i received this on Friday. I hope the photos come up.

Its a Pro RS 3000 and its the aluminium version. Its a huge change from my Carrera TDF, its so light, set up is for a racer, Ultegra is so accurate and its class. I have always drooled over these bikes and now i have one :D

The folks over in road.cc have just got one of these to evaluate (link). Very positive review.

But one question. On the Rose website they say "Smooth Surface Finish: Cleanly smoothed, welded seams make the frame almost look like it’s made of carbon." But on the road.cc review, they have a number of pictures of the bike that tell a different story:

ROSE%20Xeon%20RS-4000%20-%20headtube.jpg

Hardly smooth :confused:

I know it makes no difference to the performance, but on a bike at this price level, I'd have expected better. E.G. I remember checking out a €660 Halfords Vanquish in 2010 and it had properly smooth welds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Grinding down and polishing a weld would not be cost effective at all for Rose. They are not making one-off bespoke frames, they are mass producing them, so the cost of their frames would no longer be competitive.

Google image search of Carrera Vanquish frames doesn't show a one-piece finish on the welds, maybe your recollection is slightly off?

As far as finish goes, that doesn't look too bad.

Also, you can't blame them for having some creative marketing types who come up with this stuff. They are in the business of selling bikes.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Grinding down and polishing a weld would not be cost effective at all for Rose. They are not making one-off bespoke frames, they are mass producing them, so the cost of their frames would no longer be competitive.

Google image search of Carrera Vanquish frames doesn't show a one-piece finish on the welds, maybe your recollection is slightly off?

As far as finish goes, that doesn't look too bad.

Also, you can't blame them for having some creative marketing types who come up with this stuff. They are in the business of selling bikes.

I remember starting a thread about the Vanquish in 2010. I agree with your comments about it's pictures on the web but the bike itself in Halfords had fully smooth welds - as observed by myself. Indeed, the cheapest Boardman road bike available today in Halfords - about €600-700 - also has fully smooth welds (I notice these things ;-) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AtomMcC

Personally I prefer to see unground welds on an aluminium frame. With smooth polished welds you have no idea what the quality of the weld was beforehand.
    I work in an engineering company and wherever possible we specify that the welds are not ground afterwards.

AtomMcC wrote: »
    Personally I prefer to see unground welds on an aluminium frame. With smooth polished welds you have no idea what the quality of the weld was beforehand.
    I work in an engineering company and wherever possible we specify that the welds are not ground afterwards.

Fair enough - but only from an engineering perspective. I'd prefer to see smooth welds on an alu bike selling for close to 2 grand. Most especially when they state that they are smooth.

Maybe it's down to trust. If you trust the manufacturer then smooth is best. If you dont - and if you think the smooth welds are covering a bodged weld - then buy elsewhere.

Or just buy a carbon bike ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

The folks over in road.cc have just got one of these to evaluate (link). Very positive review.

But one question. On the Rose website they say "Smooth Surface Finish: Cleanly smoothed, welded seams make the frame almost look like it’s made of carbon." But on the road.cc review, they have a number of pictures of the bike that tell a different story:

ROSE%20Xeon%20RS-4000%20-%20headtube.jpg

Hardly smooth :confused:

I know it makes no difference to the performance, but on a bike at this price level, I'd have expected better. E.G. I remember checking out a €660 Halfords Vanquish in 2010 and it had properly smooth welds.

Just after having a look at my bike and the welds, although not smooth, aren't too bad in my opinion. In comparison to the Carrera TDF that i have, the welds are an awful lot smoother. I feel they are neat enough so it doesn't take away from the overall look of the bike. As what was said before, its probably down to the marketing team. I've taken pictures, sorry about the dirt :o

4A75D4E9D5784F018350EC3254191330-0000362093-0003187124-00800L-E0C0177D4D0A41548C232780D7C83F4C.jpg

FF28C61F186745CEA2B48175B6AC5340-0000362093-0003187123-00800L-4201FB34EB9347C8B4EFB559AB41608A.jpg

Full test of the bike available now: link All very positive - who needs carbon?

Full test of the bike available now: link All very positive - who needs carbon?

actually, the only complaint i have with mine after totting up over 1000km is that it really prefers smooth roads, there is a lot of feedback over rough surfaces. so if someone wanted a comfortable ride the alu might be a better choice!!

i'd still pick the carbon though:)

Bikeradar have an intro to Rose's 2014 road bikes here: link

The new GF and CGF (carbon) models look interesting, being designed with long-distance comfort in mind.

CGF:
    1374764406674-gq1l38jjjypd-360-70.jpg

GF (Aluminum):
    1374764406680-1ornuaubwteyk-670-70.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

After some deliberation i as ye say here "pulled the trigger" on this http://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:605541/load:44370?forcedefaulttemplate=true i really wanted black but they were not in stock and i don't think the white looks too bad, i tried all the shops in cork and with a limit of 2k couldn't get anything carbon with a standard crank :confused: compact is the industry standard i was told, and a build was out of the question unless i settled for sora groupset! Bang for buck nothing compares to Rose, just hope it arrives before the rebel tour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

denbatt wrote: »
    After some deliberation i as ye say here "pulled the trigger" on this http://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:605541/load:44370?forcedefaulttemplate=true i really wanted black but they were not in stock and i don't think the white looks too bad, i tried all the shops in cork and with a limit of 2k couldn't get anything carbon with a standard crank :confused: compact is the industry standard i was told, and a build was out of the question unless i settled for sora groupset! Bang for buck nothing compares to Rose, just hope it arrives before the rebel tour :D

Compact's popular with the influx of weekend warriors on the bike to work scheme.

Compact and granny rings in the back are the way forward :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Great bike. I'm v happy with my rose Xeon rs. Took me a while to get used to a nice bike after years of my allez. Only qualm is that I regret not going for campagnolo, but hey, ultegra is no slouch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

My bike arrived today and to my horror........ compact cranks! I emailed Rose and spoke to an agent in the U.K. He said he would get back to me, I am pretty gutted, Its like forbidden fruit sitting in a huge box in my sitting room :(. Even debating should i just settle for the compact now as i was really hoping to have a fue spins on it this week and use it for the Rebel tour Saturday.

Advertisement