Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not sure you'd find much you need off them again, they specialize in Tomos mopeds.

But in general I don't know if it's a result of the port of rotterdam or what but you can get stuff cheap from dutch sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Another small step today.

Bolted on the tail piece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

That's Honda M50, but you can't collect from them unfortunately. That bolt works out at €4.05, and then €7.95 fpr P&P.

And a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

so, bit of a mixed bag: had 2 x new tyres to fit to my '21 GoldWing and decided I'd have a go myself.

I went out & bought a ProWorks tyre changer from XLMoto online, which arrived promptly, and I had the other bits & pieces already.

First off, getting the front wheel off was a nightmare due to a frozen bolt. Conscious of not wanting to break anything I was 5 minutes away from having to drill it out when I finally got the offender to budge and got the wheel off quickly. The rear wheel was a cake walk - god be with single side swing arms, eh ?

However, the tyre machine I bought was a poor choice : the brake discs on the GW are 330mm and so the wheel wouldn't fit on the machine (well it would if I modified it a bit, which I didn't want to). The tyre breaker function on it was actually good and had no problem breaking the bead off and I got the front 1/2 off. 2nd half I couldn't, and was afraid of damaging either the discs or ABS ring so decided to invoke help: Meskells to be exact, where I bought the tyres.

You haven't a hope in hell of changing the 200 rear on a GW by hand, ever, btw.

Meskells mounted & balanced the loose wheels in a few minutes.

So, I now have a manual tyre machine that is surplus to requirements and going to flog it. I tried it on a smaller wheel/tyre and it was fine, so I'm tempted to get something better that can handle the larger stuff - I seem to be constantly changing tyres anyway, so want to get into the habit of doing it myself.

Easiest rear wheel removal I've ever had: even easier than (our) Vespas, which require both the exhaust (and new gasket after..) AND swingarm to come off, for a little 12" wheel.

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Oil and filter plus plugs for the blade.

My first time doing plugs on a 954.

Awkward enough and on top of it someone rounded a screw holding down the airbox which needs to come off🙄

Box of these is always handy to have laying around.

Dumped the old brittle ones that were breaking when removing and nice new ones fitted.

Decals done on one side.

The finish line is nearly in sight 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You forgot to leave room for the health warning 😋

Just noticed the obligatory beercan on the shock remote resevoir too 😁

Life ain't always empty.

Delighted with it.

I'm thinking of F*king the TV out of the house and putting the RGV in its place.

The beer can?

As a sign of the times I should probably put a Bud Zero there instead 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

One thing that has me coming back to the GSA's time and time again is the ease of getting the wheels off. The back can be popped off like a car wheel with just 5 bolts.

• Advertisement

Switch from Heineken to Guinness.

She's running much better on the Guinness. 😁

You MUST post a video here with the brum brum brum brummm thing

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...er, don't Diavel's do that too......................or is that too soon to ask...........(still) ...... ? :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Time for headstock bearings.

Out with the old ones while I wait for new ones to arrive.

It's neverending 🥵

The Abba sportsbike stsand with add ons for lifting front wheel and swing arm removal.

Brilliant bit of kit to have

Post edited by blade1 on

Finished this today.

Time for a quick spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

Easiest part of the job.

Long pipe, 2 or 3 whacks.

There's a little cut out to give pipe something to rest on.

Worst part is probably getting the new one on the bottom.

Probably be easier if the front fairing was off.

Just awkward to keep it straight as it goes in.

Tippy Tappy and a bit of patience and it gets there.

This will have to do for now.

Plastics are off to get a final lacquer over decals and I got up early this morning to sort one of the carbs that was giving a little trouble.

Only insured yesterday as that's when I was insuring other bikes.

Took it for its first spin just now and it's a little whippet and running beautifully.

Almost feels like there's no bike under me when cornering.

Cheapest way to buy fully synthetic two stroke oil is to order it from Germany 🙄

Thirsty yoke on fuel and two stroke. 🥵

• Advertisement

The Timesert I needed to repair bike finally came back into stock.

Might get to go out for some of the rest summer at least

I've never used a timesert but probably will down the line. I've a load of helicoils here so use them so far.

Do you use self tapping ones or that that yourself first.

And what's a good quality one you'd recommend?

This is what I got for a m12 1.5

Never done it before, but went with the safest sounding one. I think those self taping ones are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTDC1WD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They've a rebranded Loctite as well for high temp oil resistant. it's 266 with a different name, for oil drains they don't say you need it as the insert holds itself better than the flush spark plug ones which do need it.

Time sert are the name brand, there's other Timer sert branded ones from Wurth but the US version has a tap guide.

The m12 set comes with a 31/64 bit so only a tiny bit larger and just large enough to take out what remains of the threads. Going to do that by hand, might use tap wrench rather than anything else.

Seat cutter sized for the drill so goes in straight, and then the included tap guide which most sets don't have seats into the cut to make taping straight easier.

If all else fails I'm going to get one of those quick release drain plugs and just permanently fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I have the stahlbus on my R100 and F650gs, they're very handy for oil changes

Ah so you've a damaged sump drain hole?

I just did one for someone last week with a helicoil.

At least pans are nice and soft and easy for the tap to cut into.

Post edited by blade1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I fitted a Fumoto valve on a car engine before, found it great. I'd have zero doubts about one on a bike if I needed to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Got a puncture in the 800de the other day.

Tyre size is 150x70x17

Rang Megabikes looking for a tube. They didn't have one.

Rang Cotters. They didn't have one.

Rang City Spares. They didn't have one.

Rang Bikeworld. Couldn't get through to parts.

Rang Suzuki Ireland. They didn't have one but could get one in the afternoon. €40.00 delivered. I declined.

Ordered online from the Visor Shop (Crossans in Mayobridge, Newry). €24.00 delivered. Had it 22 hours later with DPD!!!

If it's a tubeless tyre, don't fit a tube. Get it repaired properly.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

I'd be very wary of tubed tyres myself, when punctured they go down a lot faster so loss of control is more likely.

Many years ago a friend of mine bought a secondhand cruiser with tubed tyres, it seemed in very good condition, unknown to him the front tube had several patches and not too long after buying it it blew out and he was killed. Anyone buying a bike with tubed tyres should get the tubes replaced immediately just to be sure.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement