Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Had the tank full of white vinegar the last couple of days to clean out the rust.

It's gotten rid of most of it.

Just a couple of patches still on either side so I'll give it another bit of vinegar.

Put some bread soda and water after to neutralise the vinegar and then sloshed some 2 stroke and petrol and it hasn't flash rusted thankfully.

What came out of tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

Thats pretty manky! its well worth doing though, will you use por15 on it?

I was hoping to not use anything.

But this is not my field of expertise so not sure what's the right or wrong thing to do.

my cousins do custom bikes in the uk and always use por15.

Its a risk tbh, if its applied wrong, it can flake off and your in a worse position. but if its done well its the best thing for your tank.

Yeah that's my worry.

Not sure I want my rgv to be the test dummy 😬

• Advertisement

if you follow the instructions you'll be fine. but the stuff is sticky as hell! it takes 3 days to cure and is a very strong smell.

When i did it i washed out the inside with degreaser after i used the acid, rinsed with clean water and then used a hot airgun blowing into it to ensure the entire inside was dry and then slowly rotated the entire tank to ensure the inside was evenly coated.

i put a tiny coating around the lip of the tank too for the fuel cap, and it stops the ethanol lifting the paint there.

So far its holding up well on the airheads tank, but i'd have been close to bringing it to a sandblasters to redo if it was messed up. I've read that the oven for curing metal before powdercoating will destroy the liner and it will come out much easier

I think I'll hold off and see how it goes for me.

If it's giving me trouble down the line I'll take the extra step needed.

These arrived today.

Bike will be getting a full respray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fab. I need to get mine back in action. Been under a cover waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Took the bike out for its first proper drive over the weekend. Got halfway up with Wicklow mountains and the fog descended, was like a John Carpenter film could barely see my hands. But it was still nice to get out despite all of that.

A little bit of tidying to the exhausts and around the cylinders etc.

Sprayed the exhausts

Before

Didn't get too anal about it but much better now

Post edited by blade1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,458 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thought you'd fitted an Aprilia sump pan there for a sec!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Went on a 5 hour coast to coast trip yesterday and bike finished it up slightly lighter than it started. I didn't have a passenger grab rail there just covers.

So €50 order for 3 bits of plastic and a few pennies for a bolt on the way.

And turns out the one place that said they'd the part (cmsnl) now emailed me to say they don't after I'd ordered it, so I've changed some bits around and also got a used grab rail coming off ebay so my lost part is costing closer to €100 now.

CMSNL are so ****!

everytime i ordder anything from them thats in stock, turns out its not and then they charge huge shipping fees too.

I get stuff faster from procycle in the states and similar cost than I do from them. last time it took a month to arrive from them

Similar cost yeah until you get hit with import duty...

Scrap the cap!

No where else seems to have the stupid little plastic part so I was stuck buying off them.

Now instead I've got a used grab rail of ebay coming and changed the the order around with them but they've now said this morning that while they've stock it'll be may before all of it ships.

Anyone order off motorcyclespareparts.eu. €40 for everything off them

Also https://www.oemmotorparts.com/ €50 off them

Main parts I need now are 77312MW3600 and 77313MW3600,

Both those crowds also seem to be in the Netherlands, so either it's all because of rotterdam being near or I'm ordering off the different middle men who'll inevitably tell me they too are out of stock.

• Advertisement

I got an SV650/1000 grab rail for £20 on eBay from the UK (although this was before Brexit) still €100 seems excessive - what bike?

Scrap the cap!

CB750

For the rail itself I found one and that's €22 plus €15 shipping off ebay.

It's the 2 plastic parts that go between that and the rear cowl trim now. 77312MW3600 and 77313MW3600 that I've to get elsewhere.

If I don't wait for CMSNL and try either of the other 2 (motorcyclespareparts.eu or oemmotorparts) which are cheaper in any case then it's €50 or €40 for the plastic parts and the 4 bolts plus the €37 for the rail and it's shipping.

Have you ever got anything off motorcyclespareparts.eu or oemmotorparts

are you in Dublin? Go to dublinnutandbolt for your bolts, i get stuff off them for rebuilds.

part 77313MW3600, that foam can be bough as a sheet and cut to purpose handily enough. looks like 4 - 6mm thick foam.

Are you sure that's foam.

I'd the covers instead of the grab rail, and the plastic parts for those had a similar texture from the photos.

looked like it, but tbh id need a better picture than off their website.

Did you try city spares to see if they have the parts? or Honda ireland?

Today's task, get decals off and ready for painting.

Bit of a dose with some of them lacquered over.

Also got a new fuel tap

Post edited by blade1 on

Last of the body work off and decals removed.

Got in to all the nooks and crannies that had never seen a clean in 29 years.

Sorted a couple of brackets that were starting to rust.

It's a lovely clean bike underneath now.

Would easily pass for a couple of years old.

Did some seat repair last night.

Had an old seatpan redone by top sellerie in france for the airhead, while waiting on the seat to come back i had picked up a corbin saddle for £50 from the uk.

The corbin is a much comfier seat, but just doesn't look the same.

had to repair the old seat pan using epoxy, a metal plate and some rivets. plus added rivnuts, not the prettiest fix underneath. but worked. Im going to go for a spin on the bike tomorrow and see how i get on. will likely swap back to the Corbin

One last job for the day.

Something that was bugging me.

The ignition was changed at some stage so it's key didn't open the fuel cap or open the pillion seat lock.

They needed a second key.

So I took the key barrells for those apart and swapped around the wafers (think that's what they are called) until the key kept all of them in like so in pic.

The end one sticking out is just the one to hold the barrell in place.

All barrells now working with the one key.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Advertisement