Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Achievement Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Hanley wrote: »
    ...god help us all :D

What's the worst I could do?:pac:

...don't answer that:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Decided to do the 5-minute AMRAP squat challenge. Wasn't sure what to expect or how to structure it. 30 was the target. 40 and i'd be a pretty happy camper. Got 41. In telling myself at the end that I wouldn't be doing that to myself again, I had a flashback to running in Parkgate St in the last 2 miles of my first marathon when I swore blind I'd never put myself thru that again. Three days later, when I could walk downstairs again, I said I'd have a go again the next year. 42+ awaits...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Decided to do the 5-minute AMRAP squat challenge. Wasn't sure what to expect or how to structure it. 30 was the target. 40 and i'd be a pretty happy camper. Got 41. In telling myself at the end that I wouldn't be doing that to myself again, I had a flashback to running in Parkgate St in the last 2 miles of my first marathon when I swore blind I'd never put myself thru that again. Three days later, when I could walk downstairs again, I said I'd have a go again the next year. 42+ awaits...

Funnily enough as much as I moaned after doing it. I would do it again, some time in the future:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭COH

Went to RAW for some training last night. The goal was to try fix my form and get a personalised program. That place is like Vietnam was to all the soldiers, it changed me - I left part of my soul there by the time I was finished :p I've discovered I've a bit of a masochistic streak in me too because I can't wait to go back again.

Anyway, achieved much better form in my lifts, especially deads and squats. Also got schooled on what's a real warmup. Today's achievement? Being able to walk :D

Don't count your chickens before they hatch... walking tomorrow is still far from guaranteed ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

After taking 4 months off from deadlifting due to a dodgey back I gave it a lash today and got up to just over X2 BW, its only 10kg off my PR. Not amazing to but nice to know my deads dont totally suck balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Body weight up 5 kg since the start of the year. I've been stuck at 80 kg for years, I put it down to 2 things, training hard (I've been doing that for ages) and completely stopping drinking. Stopping drinking means I'm eating well 7 days a week compared to 2-3 days of eating rubbish.

I had getting to 85 kg as an end of year goal, I'm shocked I've done it in two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

83.5kg clean and jerk, up 1kg, then a 85kg clean, just missed out on the jerk, little steps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Deadlift 170kgx4 (Rep PR) @83kg. Video in log.

Neutral Chin-up BW+30kgx1 (PR)hea
    I was an inch from 35kg on chins so should get it on a non-deadlifting day. I have never tried heavy chins for singles so I don't count it as a real PR as I have no idea where I was previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

210kgs Deadlift, 10kgs PB. Broke the floor fine, was an almighty struggle from knees to lockout. Delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

just home from gym. this morning was excellent for me i dead-lifted 95kg for 2 sets of 10 reps. this was my personal best and 1.6kg more than my body weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Another day, another rep pr. Bench 100kgx3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

First time doing box jumps got a 46 inch box jump, then fell off and hurt my tail bone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

180kg hook grip DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭COH

180kg hook grip DL.

Nice!

180kg hook grip DL.

I'd say your thumbs love you.

They're fine.
    Missed 185.
    Want a 200 hook grip DL by end of year.

They're fine.
    Missed 185.
    Want a 200 hook grip DL by end of year.

How long have you been using hook grip, whats your mixed grip DL?.
    I think the heaviest I've gone with hook grip was 110kg clean pulls for reps and my thumbs where mashed.

dylbert wrote: »
    How long have you been using hook grip, whats your mixed grip DL?.
    I think the heaviest I've gone with hook grip was 110kg clean pulls for reps and my thumbs where mashed.

All time max is 215kg mixed.

Failed 190 mixed this eve after the 180 hook though, not used to it anymore
    Using double OH & hook grip exclusively for last 8 months and started hook gripping 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Lifetime achievement when you have gone from hating leg day to loving it unconditonally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Swam 50 lengths today, up from 40 the last time I went. Think I'll stick to 40 though from now on, found 50 lengths hard going. My mum is all concerned as well about me pushing myself too hard. But I wanted to see if I could do 50 and I did. :)

Considering I only started doing this consistently (Do it every Tuesday) a month ago, and before that hadn't been swimming in nearly seven years, I'm pretty happy with myself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Squatted 160kg for 2 sets of 5.

Considering I did 170kg x 10 in October, 200kg x 3 in November, and a 215kg single in December... it's not amazing but after getting very lazy for a few weeks after Christmas and having 140kg feel unnaturally heavy on my back a month ago... it's good to start feeling like I'm on the road to being slightly-less-pathetically-weak again.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Having put a very reasonable 237.5kg max into my program's calculator a few weeks ago, I missed a 212kg Deadlift off blocks the other day.
    It's like an achievement in being really crap despite actually trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Considering I did 170kg x 10 in October, 200kg x 3 in November, and a 215kg single in December... it's not amazing but after getting very lazy for a few weeks after Christmas and having 140kg feel unnaturally heavy on my back a month ago... it's good to start feeling like I'm on the road to being slightly-less-pathetically-weak again.

Squats my 1RM for 2 sets of 5. Calls himself pathetically weak...

Not sure if bragging or insulting..

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Squats my 1RM for 2 sets of 5. Calls himself pathetically weak...

Not sure if bragging or insulting..

I guarantee I weigh a lot more than you (compete at 125kg, moving to 110kg this year). And I'm supposed to be, at least theoretically, a competitive powerlifter.

I dream of being as pathetically weak as you. :)
    I guarantee I weigh a lot more than you (compete at 125kg, moving to 110kg this year). And I'm supposed to be, at least theoretically, a competitive powerlifter.

Hanley's recent log post and these posts are interesting though in terms of the dramatic strength fluctuations you genuinely strong dudes experience. I would have naively assumed that a 215kgs single in December was hard to fall away massively from within a three month period. It's an interesting window into what the average joe like myself has to look forward to once we get a couple of years consistent training under the belt and have to fight really hard for 5% gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ah weight class. Makes more sense now. Never even crossed my mind.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I dream of being as pathetically weak as you. :)

Hanley's recent log post and these posts are interesting though in terms of the dramatic strength fluctuations you genuinely strong dudes experience. I would have naively assumed that a 215kgs single in December was hard to fall away massively from within a three month period. It's an interesting window into what the average joe like myself has to look forward to once we get a couple of years consistent training under the belt and have to fight really hard for 5% gains.

To be fair, that 215kg was a perfect day squat. Hanley mentioned the rule of 5 in his log the other day after his deadlift badness. If it's the same rule I interpret it as, it's basically that any five sessions will have one terrible one, three consistently average ones, and one amazing one. It's just a question of making as much progress as you can during the three consistent sessions.

As regards the genuinely strong comment, the all time drug tested record raw squat at 275lbs/125kg is 850lbs/385kg. So it might seem strong to you but to me it's only 56% as good as the best. That's pretty abysmal.

That's not me being overly modest or looking for praise, just putting the lift in perspective.

To be fair, that 215kg was a perfect day squat. Hanley mentioned the rule of 5 in his log the other day after his deadlift badness. If it's the same rule I interpret it as, it's basically that any five sessions will have one terrible one, three consistently average ones, and one amazing one. It's just a question of making as much progress as you can during the three consistent sessions.

As regards the genuinely strong comment, the all time drug tested record raw squat at 275lbs/125kg is 850lbs/385kg. So it might seem strong to you but to me it's only 56% as good as the best. That's pretty abysmal.

That's not me being overly modest or looking for praise, just putting the lift in perspective.

Aye, we all need to be mindful that we aren't breaking records (well some people on here are some of the time!). That said, 56% of the best might put you in a much higher percentile of the population than you'd believe. That's the other side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

PB on bench 107.5 kg, up from 105
    Haven't tried a 1RM in a while, very happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Finally got the all clear to hit the gym after having an issue with my back and glutes(Stupid Doctor)

So did a little chest work,

Benched 75kg x3reps which is my biggest bench and @ BW 81kg is a massive improvement on my previous of 72.5kg x5 @ 87kg :D:D:D

Advertisement