Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

what do you guys think of this phone? http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_88929.html

Just want it for basic use. Music, web browsing, emails and a few productivity apps. Maybe an MKV file or two as well. No high end gaming at all.

Costing me €50 after a coupon I have.

what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Sam Mac wrote: »
    what do you guys think of this phone? http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_88929.html

Just want it for basic use. Music, web browsing, emails and a few productivity apps. Maybe an MKV file or two as well. No high end gaming at all.

what do you think?

A absolute steal if you can get it for €50. Specs are fine. What it's like in reality you won't know until you get your hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Sam Mac wrote: »

what do you think?

That's a bargain at €50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Lads just wondering what would be the "top" Chinese phones at the moment? Slightly disappointed with the 1+1 and am window shopping if they don't get the finger out.

Swap for the Xiaomi note 4G and a 64GB SD card :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

What do people think of the Huawei Honor 6 on etotalk

http://www.etotalk.com/huawei-honor-6-h60l02_p6168.html

2 sims would be really useful and as far as i can see FDD-LTE: B1(2100MHz) / B3(1800MHz) should mean I am ok on the meteor network for 4g - I hope. Great review overall on gizchina, http://www.gizchina.com/2014/09/15/huawei-honor-6-review/.

I know its available on amazon but could do with the 2 sims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

webels wrote: »
    What do people think of the Huawei Honor 6 on etotalk

http://www.etotalk.com/huawei-honor-6-h60l02_p6168.html

2 sims would be really useful and as far as i can see FDD-LTE: B1(2100MHz) / B3(1800MHz) should mean I am ok on the meteor network for 4g - I hope. Great review overall on gizchina, http://www.gizchina.com/2014/09/15/huawei-honor-6-review/.

I know its available on amazon but could do with the 2 sims.

I’ve expressed my opinion on this phone before. I think it’s a great option. It’s a good mix of camera , battery etc .Another thing is its quite light in weight and compact for a 5” phone.

I’m looking at the dual sim version as well. There is an option for 32gb with NFC but not sure if it is worth the extra premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Thats what I got, they must have the 2nd line.

So it looks as though they are advertising the wrong specs ? Did anybody else buy one from Xiaomishop and if they did, do they have the same problem?

Can you return it to Xiaomishop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'd be massively surprised if Xiaomishop do any sort of returns.

I hope to be proven wrong.

eamonnq wrote: »
    So it looks as though they are advertising the wrong specs ? Did anybody else buy one from Xiaomishop and if they did, do they have the same problem?

Can you return it to Xiaomishop ?

Doubtful plus I would have no phone :(

You seem to have no luck with phones ! Contact them and see what they have to say for themselves.

• Advertisement

This could be handy for anyone looking at 4G phones and checking compatibility etc

I have asked the main providers what they operate on and found the following:

Vodafone response:

3G: 2100mhz & 900mhz

4G: 800mhz & 1800mhz

O2 Response:

3G HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100.

No 4G

Meteor/emobile

EDGE 2G - 900Mhz
    3G - 2100mhz
    4G Lte - 1800mhz and 800mhz

Three Response

3G 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2100 MHz for 3G

4G use 1800MHz only

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lads just wondering what would be the "top" Chinese phones at the moment? Slightly disappointed with the 1+1 and am window shopping if they don't get the finger out.
    Whats disappointing about the OnePlus? tbh you're just not going to find a better phone in this thread for any money if it doesn't satisfy (unless you go mad and go for an OPPO7 or something), you'll have to go Samsung/Sony/Nexus to top it, even then Id probably prefer the OPO for the battery life and a hundred other little things.

The OPO is massive to be fair, its a big drawback for some people. Specs wise its hard beat, but as with the Moto G, there are other phones which are just as good as it.
    The invite/pre order system is a joke, too.

Barr wrote: »
    This could be handy for anyone looking at 4G phones and checking compatibility etc

I have asked the main providers what they operate on and found the following:

Vodafone response:

3G: 2100mhz & 900mhz

4G: 800mhz & 1800mhz

O2 Response:

3G HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100.

No 4G

Meteor/emobile

EDGE 2G - 900Mhz
    3G - 2100mhz
    4G Lte - 1800mhz and 800mhz

Three Response

They use 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2100 MHz for 3G and 4G service.

Frequency Division Duplex (FDD)
    Time Divsion Duplex (TDD )

FDD is required for Ireland also, so if you are ordering a 4G phone check that also!!

Frequency Division Duplex (FDD)
    Time Divsion Duplex (TDD )

FDD is required for Ireland also, so if you are ordering a 4G phone check that also!!

The biggest issue I gathered is the lack of 800mhz on Chinese phones which is used in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

Barr wrote: »
    The biggest issue I gathered is the lack of 800mhz on Chinese phones which is used in Ireland.
    The Honor 7 having 1800 mhz covers the meteor network right? Is there any situation where the lack of 800mHZ frequency would be a problem, or is this a stupid question?

webels wrote: »
    The Honor 7 having 1800 mhz covers the meteor network right? Is there any situation where the lack of 800mHZ frequency would be a problem, or is this a stupid question?

I asked the same question over on the Meteor forum and got this response. It does appear to be a bit of an issue.

"You won't get 4G in as many locations if your only picking up 1800Mhz.

Most of the bigger cities are using 1800mhz such as Cork and Dublin.
    I know Youghal your examples is using 800Mhz only"

RossieMan wrote: »
    The OPO is massive to be fair, its a big drawback for some people. Specs wise its hard beat, but as with the Moto G, there are other phones which are just as good as it.
    Specs wise if you want to equal the OPO though you have to spend €600-700, OPO can be got for €320 with the German method or €360 if you're in a hurry.

The Moto G wouldnt touch the OPO, thats a bizarre statement :confused:

The Moto G wouldnt touch the OPO, thats a bizarre statement :confused:

that's not what i was saying.

I was simply saying that saying that you should only buy OPO with a budget of €300-400 euro is wrong, they're other phones out there. Not everyone needs to have 3Gb of RAM. In,fact no one needs 3GB of ram.

• Advertisement

I have a Lenovo A830 I could sell you!!! :)

I have a Lenovo A830 I could sell you!!! :)

I need me some 2GB ram and snapdragon bad boys :p Ill wait until after xmas, 4G isnt a huge concern for me anyway its just nice to have at times when it actually works!

that's not what i was saying.

I was simply saying that saying that you should only buy OPO with a budget of €300-400 euro is wrong, they're other phones out there. Not everyone needs to have 3Gb of RAM. In,fact no one needs 3GB of ram.
    So name what you'd buy with 300-400 instead?

Nexus 5. much prefer the look and size.
    Prehaps even an LG G3 if its on sale, 5.5" again though.

Nexus 5. much prefer the look and size.
    Prehaps even an LG G3 if its on sale, 5.5" again though.

So it seems to be aesthetic's that puts you off?

Meh, thats paying €50-100 more for half the memory, 33% less RAM and totally inferior batteries in both, you're paying a heavy premium for look and size there. 8MP cameras vs 13 MP aswell, and the OPOs camera is insane, nearly as big a surprise for me as the battery life.

Nobody needs 3GB of RAM, nobody needs 1 GB of RAM seeing as KitKat and Lolipop will run on 512 mb its just nice to have a blindingly fast phone and it will last longer the higher the spec, it will hold its resale value longer aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

OPOs pre-orders and invite system is gone now too isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats disappointing about the OnePlus? tbh you're just not going to find a better phone in this thread for any money if it doesn't satisfy (unless you go mad and go for an OPPO7 or something), you'll have to go Samsung/Sony/Nexus to top it, even then Id probably prefer the OPO for the battery life and a hundred other little things.

Thanks for the reply man. My main problem is the camera, I'm gonna copy and paste what I posted earlier
    I have the OneOlus One but the camera is a huge let down compared to the Find 7 I had, even tho they have the same hardware. Might be tempted to change back, battery diff the only thing at the moment that it has over a Find 7

Outside with plenty natural light it's great. Low natural light (not even that low just even some clouds) or inside with artificial light results in a slight blur shot, where as the Find 7 still gave nice sharp shots in those situations.

Very disappointing given the camera hardware is the same. People that have got a OnePlus One with color OS on it have reported image quality on par with the Find 7, so it has to be the cyanogen camera app underperforming.

Have tried other apps and still not up to the color OS one.

Before anyone says it, I don't want a proper digital camera, I'd just rather the OPO performs to its hardware capability, dunno if CM will fix it or not.

I'll give it a while and may consider going back to the Find 7 now its unified storage is enabled. It's only €50 or so more than an OPO as Oppo give a student deal.

Thanks though I figured phones here wouldn't be as good, I though the likes of the Xiaomi Mi4 would be on par, think I saw it priced similar to the OPO no?

Try a camera app and see, on a bus at the minute so can't recommend any but ask in the must have apps thread, they were praising one a few days ago. You must have high standards though, I can't fault mine even in the dull weather we've had since I got it. Any chance you borked the settings accidentally? Touching the edges of the viewfinder changes a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Thargor wrote: »
    Try a camera app and see, on a bus at the minute so can't recommend any but ask in the must have apps thread, they were praising one a few days ago. You must have high standards though, I can't fault mine even in the dull weather we've had since I got it. Any chance you borked the settings accidentally? Touching the edges of the viewfinder changes a lot.

I have tried a few perfectly clear, google camera app and a couple more, same diff I find. Nah not high standards its just when I've had a Find 7 that took quality pics in all light conditions and the OPO should be the same as the hardware is identical you'd notice, a few others agree just so you can see its aint just me :P Here & here

Settings wise I haven't touched it man, not that anyway be great if it was just a simple settings tweak though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement