Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health committee hearings on legislating for abortion.

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

fits wrote: »

Phrases like "abortion-on-demand" and "abortion as a form of contraception" are absolutely insulting to be frank.

But why? You get pregnant because your contraception failed and you choose to have an abortion then you are getting it on demand and to prevent a baby?!?!? Time people called a spade a spade on this issue.

Pwurple thanks as you explained it better than I could have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Plenty of spades around, methinks.

The phrase 'abortion on demand' is problematic because it's pushed around in such a way that makes is sound like a woman just casually drops into her local chemist in order to have an abortion, on top of her box of Solpadeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Phrases like that belittle the enormity and gravity of the decision and make it sound like buying an icecream. intentionally.

Noone wants to be in a position where they have to consider that course of action.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I think the most unhelpful language I've seen is calling it a "convenience abortion".

That really does try to equate it with going to the local Spar instead of the supermarket further away. It belittles the decision, and the people making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

CaraMay wrote: »
    But why? You get pregnant because your contraception failed and you choose to have an abortion then you are getting it on demand and to prevent a baby?!?!? Time people called a spade a spade on this issue.

What do you think pregnancy is? Having sex and a baby pops out nine months later? A friend of mine's mother experienced awful complications while carrying my friend. Her pelvic bone burst, she suffered some sort of hormonal deficiency and has difficulty in absorbing calcium and something else. As result she suffers from both osteoporosis and arthritis.

The thing is though she very much wanted the baby, but what if she didn't?
    Lots of people seem to forget that pregnancy isn't just a situation; it's a physical condition, that can vary greatly from person to person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

fits wrote: »
    Phrases like that belittle the enormity and gravity of the decision and make it sound like buying an icecream. intentionally.

Noone wants to be in a position where they have to consider that course of action.

Exactly this.

"Abortion on demand" is incredibly insulting.

It's a possible solution to an incredibly difficult and heart-rending situation that many young women find themselves in, feeling a real sense of hopelessness and loneliness.

To say it's "on demand" ignores all of that. Disgusting turn of phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

shoos wrote: »
    Exactly this.

"Abortion on demand" is incredibly insulting.

It's a possible solution to an incredibly difficult and heart-rending situation that many young women find themselves in, feeling a real sense of hopelessness and loneliness.

To say it's "on demand" ignores all of that. Disgusting turn of phrase.

It equates an abortion with doing something simple, I'd imagine a lot if not most women are torn about the decision, and even if they're not, that's their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

pwurple wrote: »
    Their point I imagine, is that the choice to end the life of another being isn't quite the same as any other choice.

We do have the right to take that choice away from people who end the lives of others, often we imprison them. At the same time we train soldiers in how to kill others. It is complex.

It is not like a choice of marriage or the choice on what breakfast cereal to eat, or any other choice, because it involves the ending of a life. It belittles it to reduce it to that.

Disagree (of course :)). Just because it is a decision that has to be made on ending a life, it doesn't make it any less of a choice that has to be made by a woman.

For some women it is a big decision, and for some women it will be a small (meaning a very quick and definite) decision. I do not accept that in that respect it is any different to letting people divorce, or gay people marry, or women have the vote or any other of the myriad things that were unimaginable in the past history of Europe, but have changed throughout or are in the process of changing.

But of course, I do see that someone who would be pro-life, would have a big difficulty with the above. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

seenitall wrote: »
    But of course, I do see that someone who would be pro-life, would have a big difficulty with the above. :)

If you mean to say that I am pro-life, then I should let you know that I am not, and have never been. But I don't think it does either side any favours to be flippant about what is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

pwurple wrote: »
    If you mean to say that I am pro-life, then I should let you know that I am not, and have never been. But I don't think it does either side any favours to be flippant about what is involved.

Errr... believe it or not, 'pro-life' is not a term of insult in my vocabulary. :D However, it really doesn't matter to me how you choose to term your opinion on this issue, nor do I give it any thought whatsoever, I was just replying to your earlier post. (Also I could now go: "If you mean to say I am being flippant with what I wrote... yadda, yadda..." :pac: but I won't, because I can't detect a trace of flippancy on anyone's part in the last couple of pages here, so I will just assume it was a very general remark.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement