Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strypes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Fabo wrote: »
    has anybody heard the new tune ? i think its even worse than blue collar jane - the lyrics are really bad. be interesting to see how long the hype will keep their career going.

Personally I think it's a vast improvement on Blue Collar Jane, and lyrically it's decent. I like the line abiut "missing the jab, but hit with the hook". I dont like the "TTTripping" and "SSSlipping" bits. It's a bit "My Generation", not that that's too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Fun fact, they're managed by the same guys who manage Rubberbandits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Big fan of these lads, seen them twice live and love their influences so they hold out a lot of promise. Thought Blue Collar Jane was a great tune too, however the new song sounds pretty naive. If I didn't know anything else about them or had not seen them live I wouldn't think much of it. They also didn't play that song at either of the gigs I have seen (one which was very recently), sounds like it was written in a hurry.

Can't be too critical considering their age and how fast things are moving for them, lets just hope they have a decent first album, earn them a bit of breathing space.

Really are a band you have to see play live to appreciate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

The Strypes are playing the Academy on the 19th of September. I just got tickets, type of band you need to see live I reckon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Like where they are coming from, and cool that young lads are influenced by some of the greatest bands ever, but other than being great musicians for their age, they have very little going for them. Sounding and looking like a band from the 60's is relatively simple, writing songs like bands from the 60's is a completely different thing.

A whole lot of averageness, but good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

I am looking forward to their album in September, Snapshot. I am seriously worried that it won't live up to the hype, but I really hope it does. For their own sake really because they've dropped out of school like so what else have they going for them? If it doesn't work out they'll end up playing weddings or something...

The whole thing needs to be done very carefully, they haven't really got anything to fall back on.

Even though the lyrics of Blue Collar Jane are poor enough, I think it was best to have that as the A-side because it's a relatively catchy, riff driven tune.

Lyrics of Hometown Girls and the new one What a shame are a great improvement I think. Still a good way to go til they live up to all this craic about them being the next big thing, Beatles, Stones etc. but lets hope that they have saved some good stuff for the album and not to be relying on the previous singles for the success of it.

8 of 14 songs were original on Please Please Me, 7 of 14 were original on With the Beatles. I'm just putting it out there. The Beatles are in my opinion the best band ever and I won't be persuaded otherwise. I'm not trying to feed this idea that they're a new Beatles or Stones but I'm just saying that an album half filled with covers isn't necessarily a disaster. The deal they have with Mercury is for 5 albums as far as I know so just think of what the Beatles were doing 5 albums later... Help, then to Rubber Soul, then to Revolver, and we know what happened after Revolver!!! Again, not buying into this stuff about them being the next Beatles, but a lot can change in a few years and it's hard not to hope it doesn't go to their heads and that these lads do well, if you have any kind of a heart at all!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Are they good or just good for their age. They have lots of time to develop, but I find them musically a little heavy handed. I don't mind bands showing there influences, but to the point of dressing like them it can be a little bit of overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

I am looking forward to their album in September, Snapshot. I am seriously worried that it won't live up to the hype, but I really hope it does. For their own sake really because they've dropped out of school like so what else have they going for them? If it doesn't work out they'll end up playing weddings or something...

The whole thing needs to be done very carefully, they haven't really got anything to fall back on.

Even though the lyrics of Blue Collar Jane are poor enough, I think it was best to have that as the A-side because it's a relatively catchy, riff driven tune.

Lyrics of Hometown Girls and the new one What a shame are a great improvement I think. Still a good way to go til they live up to all this craic about them being the next big thing, Beatles, Stones etc. but lets hope that they have saved some good stuff for the album and not to be relying on the previous singles for the success of it.

8 of 14 songs were original on Please Please Me, 7 of 14 were original on With the Beatles. I'm just putting it out there. The Beatles are in my opinion the best band ever and I won't be persuaded otherwise. I'm not trying to feed this idea that they're a new Beatles or Stones but I'm just saying that an album half filled with covers isn't necessarily a disaster. The deal they have with Mercury is for 5 albums as far as I know so just think of what the Beatles were doing 5 albums later... Help, then to Rubber Soul, then to Revolver, and we know what happened after Revolver!!! Again, not buying into this stuff about them being the next Beatles, but a lot can change in a few years and it's hard not to hope it doesn't go to their heads and that these lads do well, if you have any kind of a heart at all!!! :P

Some good points there, but having done a bit of research into the beatles influences, I see a big difference between the strypes and the fab four. The Beatles started out doing songs like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDsLeVxOaU

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD3QRSZ3WGM

There are many other examples, but the point is that these songs are far removed from the 12 bar blues blueprint, and contain many of the songwriting ideas and chord changes that they would later use. The Strypes are mainly schooled in 12 bar heavy blues stomps, and their own songs dont contain many chords. They really only have a small palette when it comes to writing their own songs and that could be their downfall. There's only so much mileage you can get out of 3/4 chord stomps. Personally, I think thats why Ive lost interest in them, but I hope that the other songs on the album will have a few new sounds - they need to be trying something different with the other originals on the album.

The Beatles were the best band ever because they could put their hand to any music style and put their own stamp on it. The range of material on their first 2 albums is breathtaking, could you imagine a band doing that nowadays - No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I seen The Stypes play on the back of a lorry in Baileborough a few years ago. If anyone had told me they'd be as big now I'd have laughed my ass off. Super talented musicians (they kill a lot of bands way older than them in that repsect), but the songs are rubbish. Meat and two potato rock, lacking decent melodies or hooks. Dreadful stuff - I've heard the new album and it's done nothing to change my mind about them. Maybe in time as they grow older, they'll gain some measure of song writing ability, but for now it's a large 'meh'. Shamefull that this is what gets picked up to be signed to a big label while vastly more talented local acts are left pluggging away unsigned. Just goes to show what a load of money, media and managerial connections will get ya.

yeah one wonders how they'd get on if they started out in their twenties. I think the novelty factor of their ages meant less critical analysis of their songwriting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Fabo wrote: »
    yeah one wonders how they'd get on if they started out in their twenties. I think the novelty factor of their ages meant less critical analysis of their songwriting

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

The Strypes, man I just don't know. I mean, good musicians, but what's the point? The studied look. The clothes. The videos. The covers. I think they are an aging mod's wet dream really. They aren't offering anything new. At least Oasis on their first album married trad rock with punk and came up with something interesting. You'd be better of going to the originals as they were at least "real".

The Beatles always vastly improved the songs they covered - go and listen to any of the original versions and the Beatles version knocks them out of the park. That's from playing 100s of hours in Hamburg and the Cavern before they were even signed. The Strypes are doing it cos someone told them it was cool.

Its like that other godawful band, The Thrills - how they "decided" to learn and copy the soft-rock California sound. Rather than it actually being something natural and evolutionary.

And who's going to buy the Strypes anyway? Old guys? Going to buy music made by 17 year olds? Teenagers? They'd prefer One Direction anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 guy5

Anyone going to see these guys on the 19th in the Academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Saw them at Rock Im Park in Germany and was really impressed with them. With a bigger crowd they would have really had the place rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Does anyone know if the vinyl copies of Snapshot come with a digital download? Y'know the way there'd often be a little card inside it with a code for a free download.

dont know.

i got the deluxe version only because i think delilah is one of the best things they do. i listened to it all the way through and tbh , it gets a bit tiring listening to the same riff track after track. the album is crying out for a ballad or something like "do you want to know a secret" or "baby its you" from please please me - just to give some relief from the tense riffs and chord changes. dont think i will be buying anything else from them after this . the album will probably sit on my shelf - maybe perfect storm will get the odd play.

it seems most of the media wanted to satisfy elton and gave it big plaudits , only the IT did a fair review
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/the-strypes-snapshot-1.1517361

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Comparing The Strypes with the early Stones, Who Beatles and others is way off the mark, the Stones had 2 members in their mid 20's plus when they made their 1st LP & that was all cover versions.

There's no bands that I know of (apart from manufactured product) that young who have made a debut LP, even The Small Faces were much older.

In the internet age it's possible to get publicity & interest very quickly compared to playing the clubs for years building a following, once the Flat Lake performance was out there it was just a matter of time.

The Strypes playing covers is way better than most bands playing local pubs or average struggling Indie bands IMO. But it will take them 5 years to make a album that will compare favourably to their influences.

At least the younger generations have an alternative to Simon Cowell & his evil "product", hopefully it's the change that many have been waiting a while for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The band "Hot Sprockets" on the Late Late last night reminded me of the Strypes, although slightly older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

yeah liked them

Comparing The Strypes with the early Stones, Who Beatles and others is way off the mark, the Stones had 2 members in their mid 20's plus when they made their 1st LP & that was all cover versions.

There's no bands that I know of (apart from manufactured product) that young who have made a debut LP, even The Small Faces were much older.

In the internet age it's possible to get publicity & interest very quickly compared to playing the clubs for years building a following, once the Flat Lake performance was out there it was just a matter of time.

The Strypes playing covers is way better than most bands playing local pubs or average struggling Indie bands IMO. But it will take them 5 years to make a album that will compare favourably to their influences.

At least the younger generations have an alternative to Simon Cowell & his evil "product", hopefully it's the change that many have been waiting a while for :pac:

Silverchair released their first album Frogstomp when they were only 15. It's far better than the rather generic and mundane stuff I've heard from The Strypes, who seem to be a band that people are embracing simply because of their age and the fact that they are playing something a little less mainstream.

• Advertisement

Silverchair released their first album Frogstomp when they were only 15. It's far better than the rather generic and mundane stuff I've heard from The Strypes, who seem to be a band that people are embracing simply because of their age and the fact that they are playing something a little less mainstream.

The amount of begrudgers is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not my cup of tea (yet) but great bunch of lads and i wish them all the best!

niallo24 wrote: »
    The amount of begrudgers is something else.

Nothing at all to do with begrudgery. In fact, is there anything more annoying than people who see any criticism as nothing more than begrudgery. It's nice to see a group of young guys getting out there and performing their music but they simply aren't worthy of all the praise being heaped upon them and were it not for their age then they wouldn't be getting half as much acclaim and coverage. They're not the worst band in the world but they are a long way from being anything other than another generic group producing music akin to a dozen others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd still rate them higher than kodeline, delorentos, and the rest of the nee wave of Irish men playing girlie music.

Nothing at all to do with begrudgery. In fact, is there anything more annoying than people who see any criticism as nothing more than begrudgery. It's nice to see a group of young guys getting out there and performing their music but they simply aren't worthy of all the praise being heaped upon them and were it not for their age then they wouldn't be getting half as much acclaim and coverage. They're not the worst band in the world but they are a long way from being anything other than another generic group producing music akin to a dozen others.

You are correct, their age defines a lot of the praise, but what's wrong with that? They are streets ahead of anyone else that age that I have ever seen or heard of. Maybe they will fall flat on their face and not live up to the hype, but its justified in my opinion at the moment and there is certainly a lot of promise there considering their musical knowledge/ability.

niallo24 wrote: »
    You are correct, their age defines a lot of the praise, but what's wrong with that? They are streets ahead of anyone else that age that I have ever seen or heard of. Maybe they will fall flat on their face and not live up to the hype, but its justified in my opinion at the moment and there is certainly a lot of promise there considering their musical knowledge/ability.

They are not streets ahead of other bands who began at such a young age. Silverchair and Ash are just two bands formed at a young age that far surpass The Strypes. I really don't see how they hype is justified. A band release an album that musically is decent but sound like pretty much any other band playing pubs across the country. They do absolutely nothing that hasn't been done better a million times before.

they are good for music in that they are giving young people an alternative and exposing them to music they might not get exposed to.

however, we must judge the album on its own merits. it would be unfair of us to other bands if we failed to just because they are good for the music scene.

the album is generic and formulaic , strongly reminiscent of Dr Feelgood records. at least they are honest about it, but then some people are heaping lots of praise on it and you have to question someone's motives for doing this. the funny thing is that I dont remember Dr Feelgood getting too much praise but if given a choice between the two Id probably put on a Dr Feelgood record.

They need that one big hit , if they dont get that I dont think they'll fare well after the hype dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

I have heard them on the Late Late Show, I think they are really good for being so young. Got alot of potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Just sounds like generic grunge to me, Pearl Jam, Nirvana with some Nickleback & Slipknot thrown in.

If that's your bag fine, but it's certainly not very original and nowadays is just as retro as The Strypes are!! Fans of that style / genre aren't going to like the Strypes anyway & their style of music & vice versa.

Usually I don't comment on music genres I don't follow or care for, but I was expecting something at least slightly original?

• Advertisement

Just sounds like generic grunge to me, Pearl Jam, Nirvana with some Nickleback & Slipknot thrown in.

If that's your bag fine, but it's certainly not very original and nowadays is just as retro as The Strypes are!! Fans of that style / genre aren't going to like the Strypes anyway & their style of music & vice versa.

Usually I don't comment on music genres I don't follow or care for, but I was expecting something at least slightly original?

It may be basic but its streets ahead of what most of their contempories were churning out at the same time. They also predate Nickleback and Slipknot and were playing together around the same time as Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Also remember that it's 20 years old so of course it doesn't sound fresh or strikingly original but there were few bands at the time who were as exciting as them.

Advertisement