Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strypes

Options
  • 09-01-2013 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody listen to these Cavan guys? They're very young, all between the ages of 15 and 17 I think.

They've a nice little sound going, somewhat reminiscent of an early Rolling Stones. It's good to hear kids of that age pursuing the arts of songwriting and musicianship, especially in this era of the 'X Factor'.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

They're a Late Late Show band.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,274 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They do sound good from what I have heard of them, really enjoy their genre of music.

Do they actually write their own songs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

NIMAN wrote: »
    They do sound good from what I have heard of them, really enjoy their genre of music.

Do they actually write their own songs too?

Yes they do write their own stuff, I've heard a few songs online. Afaik they haven't released a full album yet, that will be the test for them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

SubBusted wrote: »
    They're a Late Late Show band.

nice summary.

they're for people who think music should have stopped being made after 1969. i bet ya tubridy loves them.

they're only young lads though, might come out with great stuff in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

nice summary.

they're for people who think music should have stopped being made after 1969. i bet ya tubridy loves them.

they're only young lads though, might come out with great stuff in the future.

Well that's it they're only teens, it's too early to judge them or write them off as a 'LLS band' whatever that means. Personally I like their sound and I'll look forward to see how they evolve as a band overtime, providing of course that they stay together, which I hope they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Great potential in these lads, scary to see a group so young with such strong influences. Saw them in Whelans in December and they blew the roof off the place and can only imagine it was like seeing The Rolling Stones in a tiny venue in the early 60's. A lot of covers in their set, but the originals they did play were more than good enough.

Looking forward to their album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Saw them at Other Voices in Dingle in December. THey're a funny bunch: all dressed the same (fully suited) but all different styles. Singer is Jaggeresque. Bass/harmonica guy is a nerdy Kinks type, lead guitarist is gothy and the drummer is generic modern trendy band member. They were annoyingly good at their respective instruments but I didn't like the content of their own stuff - crap lyrics and quite gimmicky. Talented no doubt but they need a bit more time

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

Uninspiring pastiche of a 60s pastiche of the 50s. The **** I'm writing at the moment will blow these Late Late Show poseurs out of the water. Nothing to see here, move along. Did I mentioned they only have covers out so far. For an actual inventive appropriation of this sound, why not check out Palma Violets, Pond. or may be even.... the Rolling Stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Epicness wrote: »
    Uninspiring pastiche of a 60s pastiche of the 50s. The **** I'm writing at the moment will blow these Late Late Show poseurs out of the water. Nothing to see here, move along. Did I mentioned they only have covers out so far. For an actual inventive appropriation of this sound, why not check out Palma Violets, Pond. or may be even.... the Rolling Stones.

Nothing to see here? All over NME and featuring on Jools Holland on 9th April. Pffft!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I like their sound and style. I do think their original song "Blue Collar Jane" is a bit weak lyrically. But they are only 15/16 yrs old. Give them time to develop and grow. They are getting a lot of exposure, and a lot of big names talking them up. Hopefully it doesn't go to their heads. Stay grounded and the could have a big future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The old Irish blow hards out in force i see. Knocking Irish success acts is always a hip thing to do.

I think they are great mixture of Dr Feelgood with early Jam, great musicians for their age, i like their choice of covers and shows they know what they are doing. By the way most of their released stuff isn't covers so they you are smarty pants. Best thing to come out of Ireland in a while. lets rejoice in them plus they dress good. whats not to love.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,274 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think they did very well for themselves on JH Show

These guys have a big career ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Very immature post which stinks of begrudgery but all the best with the **** you're writing.

I don't like to generalise but Irish musicians (in particular unsuccessful ones) tend to be quite nasty to those who seem to be "getting ahead" in music.

I think these lads are good. They can play, they have an image and they have a sound (albeit one that has been done 1000's of times but where's the harm in doing it once more!) There's a bit of a novelty/nostalgic act with them at the moment but if it helps them to get their foot in the door of the industry then fairplay to them.
    They've clever management behind them, who've wrangled them a good record deal so I'm afraid the people standing on the sidelines hoping that The Strypes will fail look set to be bitterly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I was really looking forward to seeing these lads on Jools holland Friday night and I must say they didn't let me down. Thoroughly enjoyed their set, their performance and their style. They got a great reception for the audience and other performers.

They were on with Tom Dunne in the morning and they are a sound bunch of lads, with a mountain of talent just waiting to be developed. The trick for them now is to get the right help and it sounds like they are on the right track with Chris Thomas. They are so young that I just hope they can stay grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Saw them last Thursday at Olympia, they played a few songs for the Barretstown charity gig.
    I was really impressed. As said, they are very young and have room to develop, but the energy on stage is superb!!

Definitely ones to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

To be honest not the worst band I've ever heard of but I think they do sound pretty generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I find it hard to listen to lads singing about how their baby done them wrong before they've done their Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Maybe they didn't get the shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

rcaz wrote: »
    I find it hard to listen to lads singing about how their baby done them wrong before they've done their Leaving Cert.
    You're over-complicating matters. It's all about the music maaaaaan. If you heard a song on the radio for the first time and you thought it was absolutely fantastic would you change your opinion of it later on if you found out they were youngsters?

Doesn't matter what age they are if they can deliver the goods.

Anyway young teenagers can fall in love and get their hearts broken too. Pighead spent three days in his room crying his eyes out back in 1990 when his first girlfriend Betty Brennan kissed 'Smooth' Seanie O'Shaugnessy behind Danno's Dooley's haybarn.

Looking back, Pighead probably should have wrote an album about it rather than cry for three days solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Pighead wrote: »
    Anyway young teenagers can fall in love and get their hearts broken too. Pighead spent three days in his room crying his eyes out back in 1990 when his first girlfriend Betty Brennan kissed 'Smooth' Seanie O'Shaugnessy behind Danno's Dooley's haybarn.

My condolences "that yo' baby thapt gone and done yo' wrong" Pighead, hopefully 'Smooth' Seanie is rampant with STI's now!

But I agree with your post. Are these lads supposed to wait around 'til they're "of age" before they're allowed to write a song?

If they had a typical, modern indie look off them instead of the 60's rhythm and blues image and wrote the same song people would more than likely dismiss them as an Arctic Monkeys tribute band. You can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Does every artist have to have lived the lyrics to perform it adequately? Whether they play covers or originals, these kids play the **** out of what in my opinion is the most exciting genre of music there has ever been (rhythm and blues) and you can tell they absolutely love it so fair deuce to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

i saw them when they started out in cavan (just for the record)

blue collar jane is not a good song. what the people dont see is a better tune musically and lyrically , it was bad management to put BCJ as the a - side.

there is a girl band from dublin right now who are writing much better songs , better than anyone else in fact , albeit ill qualify that by saying 95% of contemporary music (signed and unsigned) is not at the races so anybody who's musically literate, has a bit of wit and who tries can write music better than the feeble 95% .

you do have to be a little careful with the strypes though, they are still too young to judge but they have a firm grasp of musical theory (probably sub-conscious but thats ok, the beatles had a subconscious grasp in the early days too) and culture which will stand to them in a few years. its not always about heartache and blues.....johnny marr wrote the music for charming man when he was 18/19.

Looper007 wrote: »
    The old Irish blow hards out in force i see. Knocking Irish success acts is always a hip thing to do.
    Very immature post which stinks of begrudgery but all the best with the **** you're writing.

I don't like to generalise but Irish musicians (in particular unsuccessful ones) tend to be quite nasty to those who seem to be "getting ahead" in music.

Not true at all I am not a typical Irish begrudger, I hate that attitude usually, I am just not a fan of this. I respect that they are good musicians though. I spend far to much time hoping for great new Irish bands to oome up and do well and wish nothing more for a band and I do my best to promote new bands too.
    Btw thanks The Gibzilla for the well wishes.
    Fabo wrote: »
    i saw them when they started out in cavan (just for the record)

there is a girl band from dublin right now who are writing much better songs , better than anyone else in fact , albeit ill qualify that by saying 95% of contemporary music (signed and unsigned) is not at the races so anybody who's musically literate, has a bit of wit and who tries can write music better than the feeble 95% .

Who are they? I'd love to hear them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Naessens

There is no denying that they can play their instruments. But their whole 60's style feels really forced. In most of their band's photo's they have these stern, almost world-weary looks on their faces. Only one of them ever seems to smile,and their 15-17!

That's what gets to me. Their attempt at being mature way past their age. I personally think that the could have done with a few more years to develop. Especially in the lyrics side of things. Blue Collar Jane is pretty woeful, and i'd say it's because they have no experience of what they're writing about.

I think if their music was a little bit more punky and with lyrics a la The Undertones "Teenage Kicks" or Supertramp's "Girlfriend" it would be more believable.

At the moment, for me anyway, they feel like an enforced charade. That coupled with Blue Collar Jane's undeserved hype has led me to dislike them.

I think once they are as mature as their music is trying to be they will become a much better band. Definitely one to keep an eye on. At the moment, to me, they are a gimmick.

And he really needs to lose those shades. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Needs more drugs..........

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I'm really into that style of R&B, but I find them quite lacking. In saying that, they are young and might get better, but I think they got such a hype way too quickly, which might stop them progressing if they get complacent. Weller loves them, they had a spread in Mojo a while back. There's just nothing special about them like there was with the Kinks or the Stones or the Yardbirds.

I saw them in the Workman's awhile ago, playing some radio thing; I went for Fionn Regan, but everytime they passed they'd nod to me because they thought I was there for them as I dress in a sorta mod style. I thought they might be good, young mods, but they just weren't interesting. They're fine for playing in a club, but they've not got enough originality. The hype has been way too soon, I hope it dies down until they can get better. Fair play to them all the same though

Edit: I also agree wholeheartedly with Naessens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Look the fact is there is nothing particularly exciting here musically. That's not begrudgery, that's reality, so spare me the 'typical begrudger' tag like lots of people throw out.

Every so often this musical rehash thing grabs people's attention. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it but it's got no substance in the long run. Who will be talking about Imelda May or Alabama Shakes in a years time? Mumford and Sons? Seasick Steve? All great acts but all pastiche bands.

What IS very impressive about them is their musicality, stage poise and maturity at such a young age. I'm very impressed by that. That's about it. You don't get marks from me for dressing and sounding like the Kinks or whatever band you want to insert here.

The 'big new thing' / 'fresh new sound'...etc tag is, I'm sorry, usually bestowed on bands like this by either youngsters, the musically naive or of course, people like Hotpress desperate for headlines. If it's 'fresh' it's because we haven't heard it in a while...but it's all been done before.

I don't want to sound miserable - seriously I'm all for people supporting these fun young lads and everyone giving it socks, I hope they have a great time and get as much out of it as they can but musically it's just well...boring to me.

We live in a small country with a small pond dominated for too long by white boys singing rock songs - I was one of them once upon a time. Things are finally getting interesting now that the first serious wave of immigrants are getting out there and bringing about an interesting fusion of musical styles. Like New York, London etc...have been doing for eons. Now that's interesting...

PS...I'm not writing them off. They've plenty of time to get interesting! :)

naeseens hit the nail on the head.

i was kinda hoping they wouldnt make it too big too soon, but thats what happened. the sound they have now has little nuance in it , its too hard hitting and blunt which is probably down to their young age.

Look the fact is there is nothing particularly exciting here musically. That's not begrudgery, that's reality, so spare me the 'typical begrudger' tag like lots of people throw out.

Every so often this musical rehash thing grabs people's attention. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it but it's got no substance in the long run. Who will be talking about Imelda May or Alabama Shakes in a years time? Mumford and Sons? Seasick Steve? All great acts but all pastiche bands.

What IS very impressive about them is their musicality, stage poise and maturity at such a young age. I'm very impressed by that. That's about it. You don't get marks from me for dressing and sounding like the Kinks or whatever band you want to insert here.

The 'big new thing' / 'fresh new sound'...etc tag is, I'm sorry, usually bestowed on bands like this by either youngsters, the musically naive or of course, people like Hotpress desperate for headlines. If it's 'fresh' it's because we haven't heard it in a while...but it's all been done before.

I don't want to sound miserable - seriously I'm all for people supporting these fun young lads and everyone giving it socks, I hope they have a great time and get as much out of it as they can but musically it's just well...boring to me.

We live in a small country with a small pond dominated for too long by white boys singing rock songs - I was one of them once upon a time. Things are finally getting interesting now that the first serious wave of immigrants are getting out there and bringing about an interesting fusion of musical styles. Like New York, London etc...have been doing for eons. Now that's interesting...

PS...I'm not writing them off. They've plenty of time to get interesting! :)

I'm very excited to hear the cultural influence and new sounds the immigrant wave has brought to Ireland. We have definitely been lacking in that department compared to the cities you mentioned. Do you have any such artists you'd recommend?

Also I wonder what would happen to their sound if you gave The Strypes acid? lel

• Advertisement

has anybody heard the new tune ? i think its even worse than blue collar jane - the lyrics are really bad. be interesting to see how long the hype will keep their career going.

i read recently about suede and animal nitrate - where there was a lot of hype about them and then they released this single which completely lived up to the hype and instantly eliminated any detractors.

the strypes really need a song like this but i dont see it coming

Advertisement