Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Can I also say what kind of name is 'PippaMiddletonsarse' for a Cmod?

I saw the sticky and the name , and I was like how did a poster post a sticky? And then I saw it was the name of a Cmod! A woman's arse is not a good name for a Mod I'm sure nearly anyone would see as obvious.

I never do this but :rolleyes:
    gbee wrote: »
    It seems too that deleting these posts has in fact had the opposite effect anyway.

I heard about this incident yesterday, but did not look, now, I know the girl like she was my niece, her dad, her school ~ and for what?

Sure if there was spanking, and I don't mean the sexual kind, a few slaps of the wooden spoon would sort her out no bother at all.

It's the Streisand effect tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No but boards could have and should have deleted the thread after it was reported in the Independent. That is of course if boards was to apply the same standard to that thread as the one we are discussing here.

It wasn't deleted, and it was only locked today.

So in a thread where people are demanding consistency and transparency, I should have deleted it to hide it away?

You're still missing what I've been saying for some time. This case is different from the cork school girls. Even if the videos were identical, they are still different because they were posted at different times. It may only seem like a couple of months ago, but a lot changes in how forums are modded in that time. If the cork girls thread had been posted for the first time last night, I'd hope it would be deleted too.

There's no real need to delete it now, as if it wasn't for people using it to prove a point, it's be forgotten. If you desperately want it deleted, I can deleted. But remember, it won't achieve anything, though. It won't change a thing.
    Corkschoolgirls was on the front page of AH for ages,so it;s a bit annoying for AHmods to say they never saw that it existed.

When you mod multiple busy forums, you'd be surprised what you are and aren't able to see. The mods heavily rely on reported posts to let us know if there's a problem that we haven't already seen ourselves. And even then, we can sometimes either miss them, or make mistakes.

yore wrote: »
    You might have missed this post by one of the mods which appears to suggest otherwise

Again, that's just you ignoring the facts and twisting things, to try and derail the subject, Give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's a sad, sick and warped concept of "democracy" we live in, when your dad's social status dictates whether or not you can take a legal action for defamation :mad:

Off topic I know, but if the honest difference between the Cork incident and this one is that the former 'victims' probably didn't have the resources to pursue the same justice as this one might, shame on this entire nation and how it's run. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

humanji wrote: »

There's no real need to delete it now, as if it wasn't for people using it to prove a point, it's be forgotten. If you desperately want it deleted, I can deleted. But remember, it won't achieve anything, though. It won't change a thing.

It might mean "a thing" if in 5 years the girls go for a job interview.

Similarly to a rich kid going for an interview. Although then again the rich kid is entitled to it isn't she. Coz she'd better.

"Now imagine she's white"

• Advertisement

It's a sad, sick and warped concept of "democracy" we live in, when your dad's social status dictates whether or not you can take a legal action for defamation :mad:

Off topic I know, but if the honest difference between the Cork incident and this one is that the former 'victims' probably didn't have the resources to pursue the same justice as this one might, shame on this entire nation and how it's run. :(
    But you've been told that's not right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

gbee wrote: »
    It seems too that deleting these posts has in fact had the opposite effect anyway.

I heard about this incident yesterday, but did not look, now, I know the girl like she was my niece, her dad, her school ~ and for what?

Sure if there was spanking, and I don't mean the sexual kind, a few slaps of the wooden spoon would sort her out no bother at all.

I definitely had the opposite effect desired, and there's probably a learnign curve here for a lot of people.

We as users, only ever see threads being locked. To delete every related thread to this issue and then sticky that it wasn't allowed , simply saying 'anyone who posts on this will be banned',drew everyone's notice and attention.

That the girl mentions that she is rich and the company KPMG, it should probably have been anticipated that everyone would jump to the conclusion of money/unfairness/blanket bans - making it an even bigger deal.

I'm not saying it's all boards.ie's fault but definitely is something they'll probably learn from in the future!

Is boards.ie actually crashing now? Is it because there is extra traffic because of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Corkschoolgirls was on the front page of AH for ages,so it;s a bit annoying for AHmods to say they never saw that it existed.

One mod said that IIRC, gon't see why the need to say it was all AH mods.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This case is different from the cork school girls. Even if the videos were identical, they are still different because they were posted at different times. It may only seem like a couple of months ago, but a lot changes in how forums are modded in that time. If the cork girls thread had been posted for the first time last night, I'd hope it would be deleted too.

You'd hope so, indeed. But let's be realistic here, I would be willing to bet a substantial amount that it wouldn't be touched. Nor would the "Why do you like riding hippos" video from Athlone, even though you can actually hear people's full names being yelled throughout the video :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

An assumption that I could only make after several months of no legal action being taken against this site.

That's exactly the point being made though. While the other reasons Dav gave were contributory the only significant difference between the cases is the legal aspect. That makes Boards claiming the moral high ground ring very hollow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

This my issue with boards. They are not being transparent which is leading to speculation. Why are two oranges not being treated the same instead we have one being treated as an apple the the other an orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

An assumption that I could only make after several months of no legal action being taken against this site.

Well then be honest about the moderation of the site. Dav gave a load of bullshit reasons that are nowhere near reality - because those standards were not applied to other similar and recent threads.

Just simply state that if you appear to be in a position to lawyer up and legally threaten boards we will expunge all content relating to a potential complaint.

Otherwise you are fair game.

But you've been told that's not right.

Well I don't work for Boards so it's not really my place, but frankly I don't believe the explanation that's been given. There is absolutely no way anyone can claim for Cork incident was a smaller story than this one, this one is like an ant compared to the Cork video's mammoth. Maybe when this story appears on RTE Six One, but until then...

You'd hope so, indeed. But let's be realistic here, I would be willing to bet a substantial amount that it wouldn't be touched. Nor would the "Why do you like riding hippos" video from Athlone, even though you can actually hear people's full names being yelled throughout the video :(

Well I've no idea what that Hippo thing is (probably don't want to :D ), but many videos are deleted from the forum. Poor people can sue too.

Well I wouldn't have been aware of it if it hadn't been posted on AH and the Irish Economy forum (ffs ;)), that's still irrelevant to Boards allowing it or not. I still think it was the right thing to do, extra feedback doesn't really bother me, the decision is either right or it isn't.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

How was I supposed to know it was for charity? I've been on the site ages, and I never saw it anywhere, and I'm sorry, charity or not, I still don't think it's an appropriate name. Why can't you take a charity name that's not related to a woman's arse.

And new people coming to the site definitely wont know it's for charity they'll just see the name and think that's a bit annoying.

Whatever about rolling your eyes, if I think something looks idiotic I can comment on it.

I just feel a bit annoyed with Boards in general! Feelings are high around here today! It's the most annoyed I've ever felt at boards actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

The made an error of judgement with the Cork school girls, they just haven't officially acknowledged their error in judgement.

Maybe that is what people are looking for, acknowledgement?

Ireland seriously needs to take steps to clarify that a service provider is not responsible for what their users post in real time. Seriously, this isn't just a Boards thing in fairness, that whole MCD business a few years ago was insane.

If someone wants to sue, they should have to request the user's IP and sue the individual who posted whatever it is they have a problem with. To hold Boards legally liable for its users conduct is ridiculous. Imagine if Twitter was responsible for the content of every tweet posted on it?

As usual, I suspect this is another case of the Irish legal system trying to deal with an issue and making an absolute cock and balls of the whole thing.

The made an error of judgement with the Cork school girls, they just haven't officially acknowledged their error in judgement.

Maybe that is what people are looking for, acknowledgement?

That has been acknowledged several times in the thread.

People just aren't listening or want to.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    That's exactly the point being made though. While the other reasons Dav gave were contributory the only significant difference between the cases is the legal aspect. That makes Boards claiming the moral high ground ring very hollow.

The moral highground was to stop people continuing to talk about it. A locked thread does that. It's different to this case where I wasn't trying to stop something that had already happened and ended, but trying to stop something from happening. That's the morally correct thing to do.
    Well then be honest about the moderation of the site. Dav gave a load of bullshit reasons that are nowhere near reality - because those standards were not applied to other similar and recent threads.

Just simply state that if you appear to be in a position to lawyer up and legally threaten boards we will expunge all content relating to a potential complaint.

Otherwise you are fair game.

That's all bull and isn't what is being said.
    Well I don't work for Boards so it's not really my place, but frankly I don't believe the explanation that's been given. There is absolutely no way anyone can claim for Cork incident was a smaller story than this one, this one is like an ant compared to the Cork video's mammoth. Maybe when this story appears on RTE Six One, but until then...

It's a smaller story in Boards terms.

• Advertisement

How was I supposed to know it was for charity? I've been on the site ages, and I never saw it anywhere, and I'm sorry, charity or not, I still don't think it's an appropriate name. Why can't you take a charity name that's not related to a woman's arse.

And new people coming to the site definitely wont know it's for charity they'll just see the name and think that's a bit annoying.

Whatever about rolling your eyes, if I think something looks idiotic I can comment on it.

I just feel a bit annoyed with Boards in general! Feelings are high around here today! It's the most annoyed I've ever felt at boards actually.

He offered to change his name for charity, some users suggested it because it was funny. You don't think it is and that is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81189084&postcount=66
    mathepac wrote:
    If it's true that the children featured in this video are 12-14 year olds, then having the video posted or linked to here without their parents / guardians knowledge or consent is a highly questionable practice. I'm amazed no-one seems to brought it to mod's attention before I did.

Oh sorry, I just noticed that moderators have have commented on the video and left it in situ. Very strange.

A Cmod also posted in that thread. Site management cannot honestly claim they didn't notice a 29 page thread that was on the front page of AH for ages and had stories written in the Six one and the Independent? Really?

The only difference is the potential lawyers. Any other excuse is I find hard to believe.
    humanji wrote:
    It's a smaller story in Boards terms.
    We don't know how big the story would have gotten in boards terms because discussion was killed so quickly. Cork Schoolgirls was a 29 page thread - fairly substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I know things have been explained ad nauseum at this stage, but for the sake of clarity; will the likes of that 'Athlone Scumbags' video be welcome in AH going forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Can I also say what kind of name is 'PippaMiddletonsarse' for a Cmod?

I saw the sticky and the name , and I was like how did a poster post a sticky? And then I saw it was the name of a Cmod! A woman's arse is not a good name for a Mod I'm sure nearly anyone would see as obvious.

Never mind that, what about that mod who re-christened himself Sir Alex Ferguson? For the kids or not, it's a bleeding disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Never mind that, what about that mod who re-christened himself Sir Alex Ferguson? For the kids or not, it's a bleeding disgrace.

Absolute disgrace!!

It should have been Gary Neville

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So is this an indication of future policy for Boards? The Cool videos thread might need a spring clean if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Been reading through the last few pages and it has struck me that would we be having this conversation if after the first thread was posted one of the AH mods could have posted something like this explaining why it was closed.

"Sorry but we can't really be talking about this,
    1 - people are trying to identify the girl in question, that's not fair on her
    2 - the defamation laws in Ireland are a minefield and this has the potential to get the site into trouble"
    Any more threads on this topic will be deleted

Now I know hindsight is everything but TBH lads ye did kinda screw up by not explaining why ye closed and deleted the thread. Ye've left yourselves open to the double standard and other criticisms that ye could simply have cut off at the pass, creating more work and headaches for all.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81189084&postcount=66

A Cmod also posted in that thread. Site management cannot honestly claim they didn't notice a 29 page thread that was on the front page of AH for ages and had stories written in the Six one and the Independent? Really?

the only difference is the potential lawyers. Any other excuse is lies.

I'm fairly sure I'm the only person who said I didn't know about the thread.
    I know things have been explained ad nauseum at this stage, but for the sake of clarity; will the likes of that 'Athlone Scumbags' video be welcome in AH going forward?

What's the Athlone Scumbag video? I'd hope that in general, unless there's a good reason for discussing a video, then they'd generally not be posted.

K-9 wrote: »
    That has been acknowledged several times in the thread.

People just aren't listening or want to.

It seemed a bit halfhearted, it seemed there was more of a vibe of 'we weren't aware', which everyone knows is bull, as Cork Schoolgirls was all over AH for ages.

Edit: Okay I'll retract that it was only Humanji who said he wasn't aware.

What needs to come out of this anyway is consistency. One rule for one , one rule for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

In a blog elsewhere fado fado, I wrote about another well publicised 'video incident' - that ended up in the high court and is still live.

One night I got an email from a relative close the the case insisting that the story I wrote was liableous - i was polite and disagreed. Following morning contact from a solicitor representing the family - my answered was the same - I'm reporting on the trial -PFO.

One thing I didn't do is let the sh2t run down my leg.

The forum should grow a fcuking set. I adhere to ever law on publication - but the 'morality' mass seems to have stepped in here - wrongly in my opinion.

C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement