Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

humanji wrote: »
    That will work as long as all situations follow a standard set of rules. But the internet is too fluid and unexpected events will always happen. There are no blanket rules that can cover all eventualities. All we can do is learn from mistakes and adapt.

Case in point, the cork girls thread. I think it shouldn't been allowed, but it was. Retroactively deleting it gains nothing. But learning to spot threads like that, and how to more appropriately action it (ie, the KPMG threads), is the better way to go about it.

Actually, not only would it be morally correct to delete the abuse levied at them, it would be a good move legally to delete it. However those girls aren't presumed to have the ability to threaten legal action (which could very well be warranted) so it's allowed to stay. That's part of the problem people are having.

Who gets sued? Here's a helpful hint.... It's NOT you. Boards are responsible for everything posted here. You lose nothing.

That's completely incorrect. Anything you post you are responsible for. Yes Boards probably would be the first name being sued, but Boards has constantly maintained that they are not responsible for what is posted on these forums, and that they are a "mere conduit." (That's a legal term.)

Personally I think that falls down on the basis that Boards is moderated, and therefore they have editorial control over what is published here. If nothing was deleted until subject to a legal threat then I think they could argue they are nothing but a service or a board on a wall somewhere. However I would be fairly certain they wouldn't be able to succeed with that defense with this place being moderated.

Just like a journalist and a newspaper, the poster is responsible for what is written, Boards is responsible for publishing it. Both are at fault and equally liable.

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can I also say what kind of name is 'PippaMiddletonsarse' for a Cmod?

I saw the sticky and the name , and I was like how did a poster post a sticky? And then I saw it was the name of a Cmod! A woman's arse is not a good name for a Mod I'm sure nearly anyone would see as obvious.
    Oh ffs.

It was changed for charity. You are trying to find problems where none exist now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I saw the sticky and the name , and I was like how did a poster post a sticky? And then I saw it was the name of a Cmod! A woman's arse is not a good name for a Mod I'm sure nearly anyone would see as obvious.
    Pics or gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Cork Schoolgirls was on the front page of AH for weeks. Let's call a spade a spade.

It was also picked up by the national media due to the fact it was posted on Boards.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/schoolgirls-suspended-after-fight-on-youtube-3258027.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So is it the attention its getting that determines whether it stays or gets deleted? Funny that wasn't one of the reasons mentioned by Dav.

What is the policy???
    The attention a thread receives means that it's more likely to be brought to the mods attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That will work as long as all situations follow a standard set of rules. But the internet is too fluid and unexpected events will always happen. There are no blanket rules that can cover all eventualities. All we can do is learn from mistakes and adapt.

Case in point, the cork girls thread. I think it shouldn't been allowed, but it was. Retroactively deleting it gains nothing. But learning to spot threads like that, and how to more appropriately action it (ie, the KPMG threads), is the better way to go about it.

That's the thing, rules changes and moderation is different from 5 or 10 years ago. Bullying was something that AH mods was paying particular attention to, even before the death of the 2 sisters in Donegal.

It was suggested by some users in the charity thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭SYDEWYNDER

So is it the attention its getting that determines whether it stays or gets deleted? Funny that wasn't one of the reasons mentioned by Dav.

What is the policy???

There is no policy. We are being lied to simply put. This story could damage Boards as a business. Its a story that is too close to DistilledMedia and their affiliated ****heads so they will not allow it. KPMG and Shareholders are pulling the strings on this one ladies and gentlemen. As ''honest'' as Dav appears to be I cease to believe in Boards due to their skill and capacity for bull**** peddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

ratedR wrote: »
    Regardless of her age or the fact that she was drunk, her attitude stinks. No doubt she'd never say those things when sober, but she obviously thinks them. The reactions of her friends tell you that. I doubt she picked up her opinions from the floor either. The video says a lot about class divisions and attitudes in Ireland, and that's why it should be allowed be discussed. This will be all over the papers in a day or two anyway.
    Generally perhaps, with no mention of this girl whatsoever.
    I think this also differs from the cyber bullying cases of recent times. There's a difference between young and naive and being young, spoilt and full of your own importance for no reason.
    Wrong. Cyber bullying is cyber bullying, regardless of how obnoxious or spoiled she came across.

Would it be not fair to say she felt bad enough as it was the next day? She probably only remembered a portion of what happened. She was filmed against her will and it was broad casted over the internet. I think it would be fair to say that shes paid dearly for this already.

People that mock this girl on the internet are sad cases in my opinion. Or those with gripes about her being spoiled - she may be, but lets face it, it's bitterness coming through.

Boards have done the right thing, it's bullying / trolling at it's finest.

SYDEWYNDER wrote: »

There is no policy. We are being lied to simply put. This story could damage Boards as a business. Its a story that is too close to DistilledMedia and their affiliated ****heads so they will not allow it. KPMG and Shareholders are pulling the strings on this one ladies and gentlemen. As ''honest'' as Dav appears to be I cease to believe in Boards due to their skill and capacity for bull**** peddling.
    I must have missed the mod memo on this :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

First, a nitpick: there is an implication that there is such a thing as necessary abuse.

Second, my substantive point: not all mods seem to have got that memo.
    To nitpick in return, you have inferred that, it wasn't implied.

On the second point, well that would need to be looked at separately and there are avenues to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The attention a thread receives means that it's more likely to be brought to the mods attention.

The Cork Schoolgirls thread was locked and reopened. A moderator decision can be inferred to have been taken on its content and it was deemed to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What is the policy???

The Admin and Boards employees can't pre-emptively decide to ban something which they don't know about. Like Dav said, they were already discussing it in Boards HQ before it was posted on Boards. That didn't happen with the Cork Schoolgirls video/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭SYDEWYNDER

awec wrote: »
    I must have missed the mod memo on this :(
    Its on a need to know basis. You must not be important enough. :P

There are just too many coincidences and things happening out of pattern. To quote Aldo Raine '' We got a word for that many coincidences in English. Its called suspicious.''

Oh ffs.

It was changed for charity. You are trying to find problems where none exist now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

503 Service Unavailable

Co-incidence?

gbee wrote: »
    503 Service Unavailable

Co-incidence?

I doubt it.

I think this has a lot of people talking and it's straining the servers and connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

gbee wrote: »
    503 Service Unavailable

Co-incidence?

lol :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fixed that now Nicola.
    Penn wrote: »
    The Cork Schoolgirls one wasn't as big of a topic, and so it wasn't noticed by most.

At least two AH mods posted on that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

And the reasoning has been given in this thread.

Yes. Someone's daddy was allegedly a wealthy partner in a powerful firm.

Practically it might make sense. But they should just be open about it and call a spade a spade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The Admin and Boards employees can't pre-emptively decide to ban something which they don't know about. Like Dav said, they were already discussing it in Boards HQ before it was posted on Boards. That didn't happen with the Cork Schoolgirls video/thread.

No but boards could have and should have deleted the thread after it was reported in the Independent. That is of course if boards was to apply the same standard to that thread as the one we are discussing here.

It wasn't deleted, and it was only locked today.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

She wasn't even being filmed against her will. She knew she was being filmed and could have left at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The Cork Schoolgirls one wasn't as big of a topic, and so it wasn't noticed by most.

Are you joking it made the six one and tv three. This story is nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

They can't possibly have remained unaware of it after it became national news, yet I don't remember seeing a single thread being closed or deleted to virtually kill all mention of that incident on every forum of the site...?
    K-9 wrote: »
    That's the thing, rules changes and moderation is different from 5 or 10 years ago. Bullying was something that AH mods was paying particular attention to, even before the death of the 2 sisters in Donegal.

Cork schoolgirls thread was only what, half a year ago? Tiny bit more maybe?
    I find it extremely hard to believe that if that video was posted tomorrow, all mention of its existence would have been expunged almost entirely from Boards.ie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

yore wrote: »
    Yes. Someone's daddy was allegedly a wealthy partner in a powerful firm.

Practically it might make sense. But they should just be open about it and call a spade a spade.
    That wasn't the reasoning given. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Are you joking it made the six one and tv three. This story is nothing

Corkschoolgirls was on the front page of AH for ages,so it;s a bit annoying for AHmods to say they never saw that it existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Actually, not only would it be morally correct to delete the abuse levied at them, it would be a good move legally to delete it. However those girls aren't presumed to have the ability to threaten legal action (which could very well be warranted) so it's allowed to stay. That's part of the problem people are having.

An assumption that I could only make after several months of no legal action being taken against this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It seems too that deleting these posts has in fact had the opposite effect anyway.

I heard about this incident yesterday, but did not look, now, I know the girl like she was my niece, her dad, her school ~ and for what?

Sure if there was spanking, and I don't mean the sexual kind, a few slaps of the wooden spoon would sort her out no bother at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

dvpower wrote: »
    That wasn't the reasoning given. :confused:

You might have missed this post by one of the mods which appears to suggest otherwise

I was online when the first threads of the KPMG girl started, and I deleted one because I felt it was inappropriate. Other AH mods felt the same and we also noted that if the girls dad really was something to do with KPMG, then there might be legal problems. So, we decided that it'd be best to delete all the threads as they popped up, and then when we got an official site stance on it, then we can moderate in accordance to it. And that stance was "better safe than sorry".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No but boards could have and should have deleted the thread after it was reported in the Independent. That is of course if boards was to apply the same standard to that thread as the one we are discussing here.

It wasn't deleted, and it was only locked today.

It being in the Indo would make a stronger case for keeping it I'd have thought?

This was just on video sites.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement