Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BreakFast Roll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

see ikea are giving away free brekkies with a family card

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

dd972 wrote: »
    I remember back around 06/07 when I used to be on my mid morning break from my office job, used to go to the local Spa and there'd be 5 or 6 of these Hi Vis herberts swaggering around the store, full of brio and BS jabbering away to the girls behind the counter getting a basket full of these breakfast rolls

''look at us we're on €800 a week'' being the subliminal point they were throwing out.

.....haven't seen these lads for a few years

lol ,more than likely those lads where the first year apprentices on "getting the breakfast duty" ,probably on 200 quid a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

*visions of breakfast-roll Spa's full of builders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Needs some Coleman's English mustard

Feel the burn!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Needs some Coleman's English mustard

Feel the burn!

colemans is piss weak and foreign. lakeshore strong Irish mustard is where its at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

srfc19 wrote: »
    Slightly OT but living across the water, they dont do chicken fillet rolls.

Probably the thing I miss most from home. Had my fill over christmas though!!

Same. We went into the local Morisson's one day and asked for a roll with some chicken in it. Knew full well that they wouldn't give it to us. Your one behind the counter just said 'no, next please'.

Dunno why they wouldn't just put it in it. Stupid rule.

There's a small cafe in Prestatyn in North Wales that does amazing steak baps. I love my chicken fillet rolls but they are up there with them. Unbelievable. Only €3 and they more than fill you up. Great replacement for the chicken fillet roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Had a lovely homemade one for brekkie this morning. 2 crispy rashers, two Superquinn sausages, two bits of white pudding, scrambly egg, garlic mayo and ketchup on a crunchy bagette roll. ****in' savage.
    When I was in secondary school, students weren't given lunch passes until 3rd year. Soon as I got one, I wound up living on the things. Ended up going off them for the sake of my waistline for a long while but in recent times I'll have the odd one. Mammy's homemade is the best, though. :)

McChubbin wrote: »
    Had a lovely homemade one for brekkie this morning. 2 crispy rashers, two Superquinn sausages, two bits of white pudding, scrambly egg, garlic mayo and ketchup on a crunchy bagette roll. ****in' savage.
    When I was in secondary school, students weren't given lunch passes until 3rd year. Soon as I got one, I wound up living on the things. Ended up going off them for the sake of my waistline for a long while but in recent times I'll have the odd one. Mammy's homemade is the best, though. :)

replace the white pudding with black and your laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

replace the white pudding with black and your laughing
    But I don't like black pudding! D:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Went into Dunnes on Monday I think it was, (only reason I went into Dunnes was because Spar had no breakfast rolls left.) Asked the woman if there was any breakfast rolls left. Yes was the answer I got. She gave me the roll and I left. Got into the car, took the first bite... of my SAUSAGE AND RED SAUCE ROLL! Had to throw the thing out.

On another note there's a lad I know who instead of getting breakfast rolls, he gets sausage rolls (the ones in pastry) on a roll with butter. I think it costs him around €4.60 and it's definitely the strangest thing I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

Don't really get the whole breakfast roll thing, they're feckin huge and I would just feel like crap if I ate one, but on occasion in work, I'll have one of those mini cuisine de france rolls (the soup sized ones), with butter, a saussie, and a runny egg. Yuuuummmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hot chicken fillet roll with grated cheese on top so it melts over the chicken,some mayo & lettuce,yummy.

Best breakfast roll I ever got basically had a jumbo fry in a roll,sausages,rashers,black & white pudding,mushrooms,beans & hash brown.It took half an hour to eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Not big on them tbh. Too lazy to make one myself and for the most part deli places have rotten ones. Pudding is always incinerated and the sausages are full of gym mats instead of meat. Still though I wouldn't turn them down every now and again. Two sausages, two proper rashers, rake of white pudding, hash browns (best part) and loads of ketchup. You're just eating tar otherwise if it's going to be that dry. Bit of butter is decent too....

Can't compete with a chicken fillet roll though in my books. God's gift after a night out. Ketchup, lettuce, red onion, cheese and stuffing and a bottle of non fizzy lucozade sport is a serious cure. There have been days where all I've eaten is 3 chicken fillet rolls. Would never feel guilty!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

About two year ago i went up to the local petrol station about 10am to get a breakfast roll and they only had sausages left (feck that). About a week later I went into he same station at 8am for one and again only had sausages.
    So since then I've forgot about them, the worse part is looking forward to one then arriving at the counter and they have nothing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

'Tisn't exactly hard to make a breakfast roll. Just head to the shop for a nice fresh roll (they only last a day). Then make your usual breakfast fry, cut open the roll you got and horse all the stuff you fried into it. Easy done like if you're feeling lonely after the ould celtic tiger era breakfast roll

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Senna wrote: »
    About two year ago i went up to the local petrol station about 10am to get a breakfast roll and they only had sausages left (feck that). About a week later I went into he same station at 8am for one and again only had sausages.
    So since then I've forgot about them, the worse part is looking forward to one then arriving at the counter and they have nothing there.

Ah you'd still tell them to fire a few sausages into a roll and lash a bit of red sauce on top of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Don't really get the whole breakfast roll thing, they're feckin huge and I would just feel like crap if I ate one, but on occasion in work, I'll have one of those mini cuisine de france rolls (the soup sized ones), with butter, a saussie, and a runny egg. Yuuuummmm.

That's the idea. You sit afterwards stuffed, rubbing your belly and struggling to breath like mojo the helper monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Never mind the breakfast roll, toasted sausage, rasher and cheese sandwich is the business. Next time you have a hangover, try one, you'll thank me for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

'Tisn't exactly hard to make a breakfast roll. Just head to the shop for a nice fresh roll (they only last a day). Then make your usual breakfast fry, cut open the roll you got and horse all the stuff you fried into it. Easy done like if you're feeling lonely after the ould celtic tiger era breakfast roll

No no no no no! You can't just "horse all the stuff you fried into it", that there attitude has led to many a tragedy. There is an art to the proper construction of a breakfast roll. You have to deal with layering, condiment ratios, meat/non-meat component distribution, and that's just the broad spectrum technical logistics before preferences and instinct comes into play.

For example, if the work in progress requires both egg and beans, how does the combination of yolk and bean-sauce react with the texture of the roll, and to what degree of crustiness should we adjust in order to properly compensate? Not to mention the knock-on effect of the new ketchup ratio needed to be calculated due to the beansauce, which is just opening a whole new door of calculus if the creation also requires butter. I could go on and on, but I think the general thrust of the importance of correctly adjusting to adapt to meet the requirements caused by contributing factors has been sufficiently established.

I honestly believe that people who work in deli counters should have to work with Gorden Ramsey for a couple of weeks before being let anywhere near breakfast rolls. Get some standards and have some pride in your work dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Went into Dunnes on Monday I think it was, (only reason I went into Dunnes was because Spar had no breakfast rolls left.) Asked the woman if there was any breakfast rolls left. Yes was the answer I got. She gave me the roll and I left. Got into the car, took the first bite... of my SAUSAGE AND RED SAUCE ROLL! Had to throw the thing out.

On another note there's a lad I know who instead of getting breakfast rolls, he gets sausage rolls (the ones in pastry) on a roll with butter. I think it costs him around €4.60 and it's definitely the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Could you not have brought it back, no?

:eek: Heart attack in a roll right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

zerks wrote: »
    Hot chicken fillet roll with grated cheese on top so it melts over the chicken,some mayo & lettuce,yummy.

I hate when they put the fillings on top of the chicken. It has to be the fillings first and then the chicken to pack it all in. Otherwise you have bits of cheese falling out of the roll onto the ground or wherever.

Chicken fillet roll with butter, grated cheese and coleslaw is the one for me.

None of this sliced cheese crap either. I've seen a few places that do that. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Crispy roll with one sausage cut in half, 2 rashers and a handful of chips. Lovely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Some plonkers think they were a symbol out of the Celtic Tiger years... a fcuking sausage and rasher on a roll like!

That and decking... they'd never have existed if everyone wasn't mad for property!

Blame David McWilliams with his decklanders and breakfast roll man Celtic tiger era cliches for that.
    As for breakfast rolls, just great - particulary for those too lazy to throw on a fry up in the morning.

Also I'm begging to anybody, please do not post that stupid Pat Shortt song on here. If you do, I will track you down and assassinate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I've never had a breakfast roll. Can't see the appeal. But then I've never liked bacon or sausages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

judgefudge wrote: »
    I've never had a breakfast roll. Can't see the appeal. But then I've never liked bacon or sausages

You can order a breakfast roll without either of these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

mikemac1 wrote: »

You can order a breakfast roll without either of these :)

Surely they are the essential ingredients though? I don't like pudding either so it would end up being an egg and hash brown roll. Which sounds good actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

judgefudge wrote: »

I don't understand. I've never seen the words "not liked" beside sausages or bacon before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Overheal wrote: »
    If you've moved abroad they have :(

Replaced by breakfast burritos with green and red chile sauce. A real man's breakfast! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Baguette, butter, Sausage, bacon, and a sliced hard boiled egg.

Nyom nyom.

Although have not had one yet this year, keep meaning to put a change to that one morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

dttq wrote: »
    Blame David McWilliams with his decklanders and breakfast roll man Celtic tiger era cliches for that.
    You know to this day I've no idea what a deck is, except part of a naval vessel.

Is it like a wooden porch or what.

I'm a stranger in my own land lads, this is what mixing with the wrong sorts gets you.

Advertisement