Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Duzzie wrote: »
    I'm doing Bushy at the end of the month, didn't realise it was a particularly fast course. I should have a fantastic time as I will have 1,600 odd people clearing the paths in front of me :D:D

It's mostly fast because of the number of fast people living nearby. Being one lap though there are also no people to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

I'm surprised nobody has tried for a record at Dulwich, it felt like a racing oval when I was there!
    Outstanding times there every week, its my favourite local one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

robinph wrote: »
    Not going to be many days a year when Edinburgh is good for super fast times as its exposed on the coast. Cardiff is very sheltered from the wind with trees along the sides for a lot of the course.

Yeah it's almost a shame it's such a nice spot because the course itself is ideal for fats times tarmac the whole way and almost perfectly flat and an out and back so no lapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

Has anyone done Narin Beach? I'll be up in Donegal this weekend so was planning to head over to it, have never done a beach run before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

robinph wrote: »
    Not going to be many days a year when Edinburgh is good for super fast times as its exposed on the coast. Cardiff is very sheltered from the wind with trees along the sides for a lot of the course.

I wonder are there elite facilities close by where top class athletes base themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah it's almost a shame it's such a nice spot because the course itself is ideal for fats times tarmac the whole way and almost perfectly flat and an out and back so no lapping.

Hoping to do Edinburgh parkrun in April when I'm over that far.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hoping to do Edinburgh parkrun in April when I'm over that far.

Unless you're over on the west of the city I'd head to Portobello it's a three lapper but I think it's a nicer run. Theres a couple of smaller ones further east if your outside the city too. I'd love for one to be set up around Holyrood as it's a perfect route round but it's already used for paid events a lot so guessing it wouldn't go down well if it was closed down every saturday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

simonw wrote: »
    Has anyone done Narin Beach? I'll be up in Donegal this weekend so was planning to head over to it, have never done a beach run before

I did the inaugural last year. It's a lovely beach in a real hidden gem of a spot. The course is tough, you go out ca 2 km, back 500m, then back 500m to the furthest point and then back 2km to the start. Great for high-fiving mates, but tough to cover the same ground a couple of times. I remember spending much of the run trying unsuccessfully to find the elusive hard sand. Most people were doing likewise without much success... So it will be a tough run, but its a really lovely spot with a nice cafe after. Numbers are generally low, especially in the winter, so you may well place highly if you are in any way speedy!

https://www.parkrun.ie/narinbeach/results/eventhistory/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

That certainly stood out alright! 8th finishing in that time is insane! Up in Scotland the Edinburgh parkrun in Crammond is the main run (regularly 600+) and other than one semi reg who runs once a month it's rare to see sub 16 and often low 17s is first to finish. Amazing to see a run have so many sub 16 times.

A few weeks back Jaryd Clifford (gold medal at last year Paralympics at 5000m) was in Edinbrugh and ran the portobello parkrun as part of a 10 mile run and ran 15.23 was unreal seeing him tear off into the distance.

A few times on Strava Jack Rayner has suggested he might do a parkrun (was often running round bushy in London ahead of the 1.59 challenge) once he's back to his best he could definitely have a chance at the overall record.

Portobello isnt exposed on the coast, it takes place in a park, its pretty flat but tight in places as it goes under bridges

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Portobello isnt exposed on the coast, it takes place in a park, its pretty flat but tight in places as it goes under bridges

It was Edinrburgh parkrun being called exposed not Portobello. Portobello is nice and sheltered although as soon as the weather goes bad its horrific especially over the bridges and that tiny sloped bit after going under the last bridge is such an energy sapper! Portobello is pretty close to me so have done it a few times never seen anyone run it like Jarryd though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Parkrun have setup a YouTube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Hi guys, what would be the nearest parkrun to Bunbeg, staying up there Monday to Saturday next week, would like to get to one on the way home, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hi guys, what would be the nearest parkrun to Bunbeg, staying up there Monday to Saturday next week, would like to get to one on the way home, thanks.

Dungloe I’d say, not more than 20km away

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Marlay is cancelled for tomorrow. They are saying this applies to all parkruns in Dun Laogihire/Rathdown.

I'd check before heading out no matter where you are running tomorrow.

Wish Cross Country got cancelled as easily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I'm due to do my 100th parkrun tomorrow, however, the dreaded man flu has struck me :pac::pac:To run or not to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Unless you're over on the west of the city I'd head to Portobello it's a three lapper but I think it's a nicer run. Theres a couple of smaller ones further east if your outside the city too. I'd love for one to be set up around Holyrood as it's a perfect route round but it's already used for paid events a lot so guessing it wouldn't go down well if it was closed down every saturday morning!

Cheers. We are staying near Waverly station so I'd say Portobello is nearer. But a run along a prom (when you're from a landlocked county in Ireland) would be a nice change. Plus we've never ran with a big parkrun field so it would be nice to experience that too. Don't worry, it's not our first visit to Edinburgh and it won't be our last.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Marlay parkrun is cancelled tomorrow as the park is closed due to Storm Ciara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I'm due to do my 100th parkrun tomorrow, however, the dreaded man flu has struck me :pac::pac:To run or not to run?

Wouldn’t bother if I was you. Will be zero craic.

Marlay parkrun is cancelled tomorrow as the park is closed due to Storm Ciara

runners have to go and vote for Shane Ross ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

adrian522 wrote: »
    Marlay is cancelled for tomorrow. They are saying this applies to all parkruns in Dun Laogihire/Rathdown.

I'd check before heading out no matter where you are running tomorrow.

Wish Cross Country got cancelled as easily :)

I'll check the local Parkrun FB pages tomorrow morning but anyone know what's the parkrun website link that shows a full list of cancelled parkruns in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Dudda wrote: »
    I'll check the local Parkrun FB pages tomorrow morning but anyone know what's the parkrun website link that shows a full list of cancelled parkruns in Ireland?

https://www.parkrun.com/cancellations/
    or
    https://www.parkrun.ie/cancellations/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Marlay, Cabinteely & Shanganagh all off tomorrow. Storm Ciara forgot her barcode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Darndale off aswell but not on that list for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

Had a rare idea of touring tomorrow, was gonna head to Marlay. Ffs.

Looking for one with big numbers, where would you fine people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Lazare wrote: »

Malahide!

Singer wrote: »
    Malahide!

Decent spin from my gaff, but have wanted to spin out to it for ages. Cheers B

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Cheers. We are staying near Waverly station so I'd say Portobello is nearer. But a run along a prom (when you're from a landlocked county in Ireland) would be a nice change. Plus we've never ran with a big parkrun field so it would be nice to experience that too. Don't worry, it's not our first visit to Edinburgh and it won't be our last.

Yeah it's fun being part of a big one. Portobello normally gets 300+ so it's no minnow itself. Maybe leave it to the weather to decide if its windy I'd go with portobello! On a nice day heading out to Crammond is a good way to spend it. If you're out at low tide head out to the island (it's a tidal island you won't be able to miss the walkway) Theres old world war 2 fortifications out there just make sure you don't get caught by the tide! Before we lived here I went for a run there not realising it was tidal was at the wrong end as the water was slipping over the path and it was almost knee height by the time I got the other side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parkrun

Lazare wrote: »

Ardgillans 6th Birthday tomorrow.

Parkrun wrote: »
    Ardgillans 6th Birthday tomorrow.

Cheers, but I think I might try Waterstown. I've 8 miles to do, might hit that up then head to the PP to finish them off.

Still not 100% sure though, will make a decision in the morn.

• Advertisement

It is my 5 year olds 51st run on Sunday so he is getting his ultra wristband. Hopefully no cancellations as we have an ice cream celebration planned for afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement