Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Was 24 min pacer at Meadowmill today and did 23:57 on the watch and 3 of the other 4 got closer to their target time! Nice morning for it in the end guessing that won't be the case this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is my 5 year olds 51st run on Sunday so he is getting his ultra wristband. Hopefully no cancellations as we have an ice cream celebration planned for afterwards.

That's amazing! If you could bottle how you've encourage them to do that then you wouldn't be laughing all the way to the bank you'd be buying the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ardgillan last week and River Valley this morning. I left the two hilly ones to stormy season. I thought I wouldn't last the last 200m last week in Ardgillan, that's a cruel finish. Great to visit and do both. Enjoyed this morning. Nice park, good route. Challenging. Two in Dublin left to do but that's not counting progression parkrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parkrun

aquinn wrote: »
    Ardgillan last week and River Valley this morning. I left the two hilly ones to stormy season. I thought I wouldn't last the last 200m last week in Ardgillan, that's a cruel finish. Great to visit and do both. Enjoyed this morning. Nice park, good route. Challenging. Two in Dublin left to do but that's not counting progression parkrun.
    Well done!
    Give me Rivervalleys hill over Ardgillan any day.
    I ran Ardgillan this morning, beautiful but I hate that hill up to the finish but I still go back regularly. Those views are really something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is my 5 year olds 51st run on Sunday so he is getting his ultra wristband. Hopefully no cancellations as we have an ice cream celebration planned for afterwards.

Cancelled :( Will have to put the icecream on hold until next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Only ordered my 25th volunteer T-shirt on Wednesday and it arrived in this mornings post, happy days :D

I thought I'd be waiting awhile. I think it was a few weeks for my 50th shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Parkrun wrote: »
    Well done!
    Give me Rivervalleys hill over Ardgillan any day.
    I ran Ardgillan this morning, beautiful but I hate that hill up to the finish but I still go back regularly. Those views are really something.

If you get a chance run up the path beside the fenced off dog area in Rivervalley,
    equal to if not worse than the finish in Ardgillan. Worst thing about the hill in Rivervalley Parkrun, is knowing after running up it the first time, is that you have to do it again.

Speaking of 'hills' did Corkagh Parkrun this morning and had expected it to be flat; it isn't, has a few deceptive inclines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

parkrun pb alert!!
    First time to get a parkrun time under 30 mins and it was at my local one too! delighted!! 29:45 and it only took 110 parkruns!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Reg'stoy wrote: »

Speaking of 'hills' did Corkagh Parkrun this morning and had expected it to be flat; it isn't, has a few deceptive inclines.

I've always been bemused by people saying Corkagh is flat.

Really enjoyed Waterstown this morning, the valley loop is gorgeous, loved running along the banks of the liffey.

Tough oul finish, last 700m or so took a bit of digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Finally hit 100 parkruns!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Only ordered my 25th volunteer T-shirt on Wednesday and it arrived in this mornings post, happy days :D

I thought I'd be waiting awhile. I think it was a few weeks for my 50th shirt.

I hope there was no spelling errors on it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lost my volunteer shirt it seems. No idea where it is. I've not worn it in a while. I've searched high and low, all my running shirts are in one of the transparent DCM bags. No luck.

Afaik, the official policy is milestone shirts can't be replaced. As it happens, I did my 50th run yesterday. I've not received the claim link yet. I messaged Pro Direct early on Sat morning saying I'd prefer the volunteering one again and would cover the cost. Not expecting a positive response.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

What was the weather like in Dublin Saturday morning? Very surprised parkruns were cancelled.
    Got to do Narin Beach up in Donegal, beautiful place to do a run, can only imagine what it would be like in summer. Storm Ciara hadn't really hit yet so was lovely and bright, but already had some strong winds. the course is 2k out and back, and then 500m out and back to make up the 5k. Had the wind behind us on the way out, but it was very tough on the way back in. Mostly was solid enough underfoot but some sections of soft sand which really took it out of the legs!
    Would absolutely recommend a visit if you find yourself anywhere even slightly nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

simonw wrote: »
    What was the weather like in Dublin Saturday morning? Very surprised parkruns were cancelled.
    Got to do Narin Beach up in Donegal, beautiful place to do a run, can only imagine what it would be like in summer. Storm Ciara hadn't really hit yet so was lovely and bright, but already had some strong winds. the course is 2k out and back, and then 500m out and back to make up the 5k. Had the wind behind us on the way out, but it was very tough on the way back in. Mostly was solid enough underfoot but some sections of soft sand which really took it out of the legs!
    Would absolutely recommend a visit if you find yourself anywhere even slightly nearby.

It was cancelled in parks with old trees which are a danger. Wind picked up by midday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They were cancelled due to an automatic shut down of parks where there is a weather warning in place. This is only operated by certain councils luckily. Dublin was fine on Saturday morning. It was windier 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Will Shane Ross be back volunteering at Marlay parkrun this Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Well, he'll have a bit more time on his hands now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I HIGHLY doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I HIGHLY doubt it!

In fairness to him, he has volunteered over 25 times and has earned his purple milestone t-shirt so I'd suggest that him volunteering at Marlay was more than just a photo op.

https://www.parkrun.ie/results/athleteresultshistory/?athleteNumber=5413773

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Duzzie wrote: »
    In fairness to him, he has volunteered over 25 times and has earned his purple milestone t-shirt so I'd suggest that him volunteering at Marlay was more than just a photo op.

Seems a relatively recent convert but why not give him the benefit of the doubt. :D

• Advertisement

Duzzie wrote: »

Always marshalling at the same corner though for max exposure. Always felt he was over egging the hand clapping and encouragement when he was there.

Someone on Twitter mentioned that he refused to do scanning (which would reduce his exposure quite a bit), I’d believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭CassieManson

corcaigh07 wrote:
    Someone on Twitter mentioned that he refused to do scanning (which would reduce his exposure quite a bit), I’d believe that.

In fairness alot of people are nervous of scanning in case they mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Always marshalling at the same corner though for max exposure. Always felt he was over egging the hand clapping and encouragement when he was there.

In fairness alot of people are nervous of scanning in case they mess it up.

Yet no issue taking on a number of ministries despite his incompetence?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Yet no issue taking on a number of ministries despite his incompetence?

Oh yeah, politically, I’m delighted he’s gone but this is a parkrun thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Lord Mayor runs St.Annes in the bloody chains. That can't be for any reason other than PR. Are people skeptical of him? Or is it just because Ross is an unpopular figure?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The Lord Mayor runs St.Annes in the bloody chains. That can't be for any reason other than PR. Are people skeptical of him? Or is it just because Ross is an unpopular figure?

Tbf, he actually has an interest in running. I believe he has either done every Dublin parkrun or is in the process of doing so and set up the Lord Mayor’s 5 Alive series of runs.

People don’t like Ross because it’s easy to see that he is fake af.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Shedite27 wrote: »

Seen plenty of mayor's running local 5kms or 10kms wearing their chains over the years, but the chain wearing mayor's tend to be more of an honorary rather than political appointment. So whilst it's for PR, it's for the PR of promoting the event or some charity rather than for votes.

But my local political mayor has also been running as a guide in the local 10km for blind runners for the last couple of years, obviously he gets a picture in the local paper for it, but it's also been great for promoting the blind running group so is a win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

If his motives were cynical and he was after exposure scanning would be the absolute best role. Gives the ability to greet people by name.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Lazare wrote: »
    If his motives were cynical and he was after exposure scanning would be the absolute best role. Gives the ability to greet people by name.

My thoughts exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

simonw wrote: »

Hope to do Narin parkrun later in the year. Have extended family living close by so I've run on that beach a few times but not been there for parkrun yet. It's a beautiful spot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement