Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu for phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

bpb101 wrote: »
    i had a look at the page source code and there nothing behind it, ie, when that clock hits zero , like the ubuntu phone countdown , nothing happens. There will have to be somebody on ubuntu side to change the web page, manually.
    That.... that's just not how it works. At all.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

28064212 wrote: »
    That.... that's just not how it works. At all.
    care to explain then?
    As in previous countdown clocks from ubuntu they hit zero and stay at zero until they are changed manually. The last time the page was so overloaded they couldnt change it

so, care to explain?, if you can find the hidden link , please feel free to share it with the rest of us

the bubbles , which have became a symbol of the ubuntu phone os , look like they will make a re appearances at 6 pm. They should have left a bit more of a mystery to this one, i hope they come up with something crazy like ubuntu drugs.(i dont know)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

care to explain then?
    As in previous countdown clocks from ubuntu they hit zero and stay at zero until they are changed manually.
    You mean until the page is refreshed? That doesn't mean it's updated manually, that means it's automatically updated server-side
    The last time the page was so overloaded they couldnt change it
    No, it was so overloaded that only a certain amount of people could access it at the time. Again, nothing to do with manually changing anything.
    so, care to explain?, if you can find the hidden link , please feel free to share it with the rest of us
    There's no hidden link. What would be the point of a countdown if anybody could just hit Ctrl+U and find out all about it?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

So... Htc making a big annoucement today
    And the Theroys are off.
    > http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/htc-ubuntu-countdown-sync-fuels-tablet-speculation

• Advertisement

yeap it's a tablets os , but i must say it looks really nice.
    I could go on but somebody else could tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That looks amazing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Khannie wrote: »
    Effortlessly convinced. I'll report back what its like on launch day.

Well, today is launch day. This little ditty came with the launch:
    In rare circumstances, the Nexus4 may get into a state where it may not boot at all after the battery is drained ( even into recovery ). If this happens, the only way to restore it is to disassemble the back of the phone and unplug/plug the battery connector.

....aaaand therefore there will be no install at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

Well, I think I'll be holding off as well with that little nugget. The last thing I want is to disassemble the N4.

I can't wait to give this a shot though, maybe I'll get the nexus 7 Ive wanted...

• Advertisement

"

Have you got experience in porting mobile OSs to new devices? Join the Port-a-thon and be part of the initiative to take Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview to a whole new level!

" - ubuntu app developers fb

If and when we all fúck up your phones and tablets completely , here is how to get android back on them so we can claim the garentee and pretend nothing has happed

They're releasing the developer version for a bunch of new phones including some not so high end ones (like the Huawei Ascend G300 which is very popular here).

http://www.slashgear.com/ubuntu-touch-to-launch-developer-preview-on-over-20-more-devices-26271633/

They're releasing the developer version for a bunch of new phones including some not so high end ones (like the Huawei Ascend G300 which is very popular here).

http://www.slashgear.com/ubuntu-touch-to-launch-developer-preview-on-over-20-more-devices-26271633/

Sounds good. Its Hard to justifying spending 500 euros on a nexus phone simple just to format it.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Saying that, i'm due an upgrade soon and my choice will heavily depend on the ability to have multiple os's on it, Mainly ubuntu but I would quite like to give Firefox a bash too.

Sounds good. Its Hard to justifying spending 500 euros on a nexus phone simple just to format it.:)

They're actually a shed load cheaper than that. I can't remember what the actual figure is, but from memory I think it's around 350 all in for the cheapest one. They have 2G of RAM too, which is nice if you're considering using it as a desktop OS. I can confirm that desktop Linux works just dandy with 2G of RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They're actually a shed load cheaper than that. I can't remember what the actual figure is, but from memory I think it's around 350 all in for the cheapest one.

Way off, the Nexus 4 is $299 in the States, that's a little over €230. It works out at about €270 if you go through the UK and Parcel Motel

• Advertisement

They're actually a shed load cheaper than that. I can't remember what the actual figure is, but from memory I think it's around 350 all in for the cheapest one. They have 2G of RAM too, which is nice if you're considering using it as a desktop OS. I can confirm that desktop Linux works just dandy with 2G of RAM.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Way off, the Nexus 4 is $299 in the States, that's a little over €230. It works out at about €270 if you go through the UK and Parcel Motel

not going to lie , didnt put much research, just thought they were around that .

That video of ubuntu phone demo ( the orginal one ) has 1,906,927 just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

That video of ubuntu phone demo ( the orginal one ) has 1,906,927 just saying
    you classing that as high/low?

you classing that as high/low?
    high. Considering only 20,00 people use ubuntu ( last known figure) on the desktop

The offical demo of ice cream sandwich got only 264,159

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

high. Considering only 20,00 people use ubuntu ( last known figure) on the desktop

I'll assume you meant 22,000, even then I have a very hard time believing the user base is that small for Ubuntu.

Nate

I'll assume you meant 22,000, even then I have a very hard time believing the user base is that small for Ubuntu.

Nate
    i thought it was 20,00 , not at all sure. however it doesnt matter, call it 100,000 or even 1/4 of a million.
    a lot of people that dont use ubuntu are intrested in the new phone idea.

wait ****, googled it and they estimate 20 million ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

:)

Sounds about right.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

:pac:

The offical demo of ice cream sandwich got only 264,159
    Average Person A: What firmware/launcher you running on your phone?
    Average Person B: Eh, Android....duh!
    :D:D

65,069,828 running linux now. God, still tiny isin't it.

Advertisement