Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Up Alcohol: Total Abstinence

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

barney 20v wrote: »
    Again demographics.... I pissin my money up some publicans wall when I was 19... Best thing I have ever done. Your age explains a lot

Ah sure it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Ah sure it has to be done.
    Ireland sure laaad! Paddy eile is doing it, ergo so must I....

Ireland sure laaad! Paddy eile is doing it, ergo so must I....

Actually, for me, it's nothing to do with Paddy eile. I just love getting drunk. I'm the biggest drinker out of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Actually, for me, it's nothing to do with Paddy eile. I just love getting drunk. I'm the biggest drinker out of my friends.
    Argos medal on the way....

Argos medal on the way....

Ah Barney, You're too kind :D

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Great I thought I was in the minority. I've never had a real hangover in my life!

Aw it's great isn't it? Drink what you want and still be fresh as a daisy in the morning :D it's what dreams are made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Aw it's great isn't it? Drink what you want and still be fresh as a daisy in the morning :D it's what dreams are made of.

Wait till you hit 30!!
    Then you'll know what a hangover is:D

NOBODY gets proper hangovers at 19

Smidge wrote: »

Wait till you hit 30!!
    Then you'll know what a hangover is:D

NOBODY gets proper hangovers at 19

Thats why you have to do it while you're young. I could see myself giving up drink at 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I never had any really serious problems with drugs or alcohol but I had a definite addiction to the sheer culture of getting knackered. I literally thought it had to be done. That it colored life and things would simply be duller sober. That's what NegativeCreep is reminding me of.

It's complete toss really and ironically makes anyone who espouses such views sound just beyond dull. I don't begrudge anyone who drinks but I got tired of it a few months back and am now gearing up myself to be pretty much 100% free of the stuff this year.

Tolerance became a problem and nothing really moved anywhere. I stopped getting giddy, energetic etc off alcohol and the effect is started to have on me took on the form of this vague, joyless cloudiness. Take all that away and I can still sit in the same pubs and have the same conversations with the same people. Only now I get to be sharp as a tack and the most tuned in guy going by the end of the night which I like. It's all about looking at the advantages. If being a bit aloof about it helps anyone with a problem kick the booze then go for it. Tell yourself how bloody great it is that you're sober and how boorish all your mates look and sound in comparison.

My window overlooks a busy street and I've become convinced that nothing in this world is more evil than pissed lads in groups - not all men but you know ... the lads - red faced and staggering to or out of town singing "this is my FOOTBALL team, this is my football TEAM, this is the name of my football TEAM and I'M SINGING THE NAME OF MY FOOTBALL TEAM" :rolleyes:.

Also I'm not a complete loser so I can go and dance and talk to women no problem on a clear head. And if there is a pay off that's where the real beauty of staying sober lies. Does anyone honestly rate drunk sex? Most people my age are invariably drunk when they have it off with someone after a night out. Every time that's ever happened to me in the past I wish I was blood sober for it. It's just ... wildly better?

So yeah I'm not drinking anymore. It's the end of the world as we know it. Maybe I will have slightly less fun on particularly chaotic nights between about 12-2 but I won't do anything stupid, I'll be up fresh as a daisy making tea for my housemates at ten the next morning banging on the Netflix, my friends don't care - and if yours do then widen your social ark, I'll have more money, I'm pretty sure books and music will still exist ...

... yeah. I don't really care. I'll be the boring sober guy :).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Malibu Sunshine

gurramok wrote: »
    To add, one has to find the emotion that keeps one drinking as an escape mechanism. Conquer that, deal with it, move on and one would find their desire to drink not a daily occurrence.

The most sensible thing Ive seen written about drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Nice clear head and sound stomach today. First New Year's Day hangover free since I was about 18 and it feels great.....

I'm not making any promises to kick the habit for good but January is my target

I rarely go out to meet my friends as a return taxi to the pub in town costs about €46 but if I'm not supping ale ill be able to drive in so giving up would actually be better for my social life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

I cut right back on my drinking, I was starting to get a bit heavy and to be honest I was embarrassed by having a big dirty beer belly at 22.So I started the gym and haven't looked back since.

Nothing wrong with the odd pissup but you get sick of doing it every week

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I just have a lot of friends who don't drink and their life seema a bit drab. They have nothing todo on the weekend exceot go to the cinema.

What makes the pub inherently more exciting than the cinema? I love going to the cinema and would pick it over a pub any day.

Advertisement