Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Up Alcohol: Total Abstinence

Options
  • 31-12-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

I've decided that I'm going to stay off the aul drink for the rest of the year. I hope I make it.

Will you join with me in total abstinence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I've decided that I'm going to stay off the aul drink for the rest of the year. I hope I make it.

What, a whole two hours? feck that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yes, just let me open the good book............glug, glug, glug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

What, a whole two hours? feck that!:D

You can do it if you try, but you must want to do it for yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have a full bottle of wine to drink yet, ( Amarone), then i will gladly join you to stay off the evil stuff until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I've just drank my last beer and too lazy to walk into the city to get more. So yes, I shall be abstinately drunk for the next two hours until it passes out of my system.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    I have a full bottle of wine to drink yet, ( Amarone), then i will gladly join you to stay off the evil stuff until next year.

Ah, you see the lost sheep hath been found...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

11 years sober now

kjl wrote: »
    11 years sober now

WTF! Good call!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Total Absence? ;)

Total Absence? ;)

Total Absinthe = Total Abscess :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

All the best with it :)

I made giving up alcohol my new year's resolution last year and will be celebrating my first year sober in a matter of hours.

I feel great for it - managed to kick the smokes 6 months ago as well, which I have wanted to do for years.

Edit - I am also back at university studying counselling, which is what I have always wanted to do! Money well spent. It's been a great first sober year :)

Just less then 1 hour and 50 minutes until I can have my next wee drink.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No. I'll be over here, having a beer. I tried the whole "no drinking" thing, and discovered that it was deathly dull, everyone else was drinking and sounded stupid(which they usually didn't), I was waay too chirpy and annoying in the morning and I missed it. That's one day I won't forget in a hurry. I might give up the fags for good though, that's somthing I do every year at new years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm going to abstain for a while in 2013.

I've the following in the fridge/press that would seriously bug me lying around so am gonna attempt to 'dispose' of it tonight.

1 x 500ml bottle of tyskie (4 already drank)
    6 x 350ml bottles of Coopers sparking ale.
    Half a bottle of red stag Jim Beam

There are also numerous other bottles of red/white wine, 2 x bottles of champagne and numerous spirits in the press, but the bottles in bold are on my 'to do list' tonight.

Bottoms up all. And a happy new year to one and all. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i didn't drink until i was 18 and then i stopped drinking for a couple of years when i was in my early 20's

unless you're addicted it's not that big a deal and it's not really anything special. best thing to do is just drink in moderation, if you spend all your time focusing on not drinking you're still making alcohol a huge part of your life.. just not getting any of the benefit you'd get from being plastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I wont be joining you but wish you all the best ;)

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'm going to abstain for a while in 2013.

I've the following in the fridge/press that would seriously bug me lying around so am gonna attempt to 'dispose' of it tonight.

1 x 500ml bottle of tyskie (4 already drank)
    6 x 350ml bottles of Coopers sparking ale.
    Half a bottle of red stag Jim Beam

There are also numerous other bottles of red/white wine, 2 x bottles of champagne and numerous spirits in the press, but the bottles in bold are on my 'to do list' tonight.

Bottoms up all. And a happy new year to one and all. :D

holy sh1t! So you are expecting plenty guests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

holy sh1t! So you are expecting plenty guests?

No just myself....

I prob won't get through all of it, (prob make a stab at the Jim beam after the beer) but will make a dam good attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

if you spend all your time focusing on not drinking you're still making alcohol a huge part of your life.. just not getting any of the benefit you'd get from being plastered.

Unless you have a problem, then why would you be focused on not drinking? Just don't drink - no focus required.

I haven't drank since 2006. Just not bothered with it. Doesn't cause me any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If too much drinking is causing a problem(despite the health issues), you need to cut back. Only you can do that, needs will power and understanding what you are doing is harming you socially and internally. If you decide to stop drinking in 2013 without a single drop, that takes one hell of a huge courage, the vast majority will fail to abide by that, you have to realise and don't feel that you are a failure if you end up having a couple of pints every 7 days. My own opinion is just cut back, what helps is just finding another activity that will take your mind away from the bottle. Try it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Well one was too many and a thousand was never enough so this is my ninth Xmas sober. Having said that I'm not going to begrudge those who want to get sloshed. I did it for long enough myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Wattle wrote: »
    Well one was too many and a thousand was never enough so this is my ninth Xmas sober. Having said that I'm not going to begrudge those who want to get sloshed. I did it for long enough myself.

Really hope I can emulate that..

Saganist wrote: »
    Really hope I can emulate that..

To add, one has to find the emotion that keeps one drinking as an escape mechanism. Conquer that, deal with it, move on and one would find their desire to drink not a daily occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

count me in.

I was at the bottle bank the last day and the guy next to me remarked that I must have had a party in the house,....which I hadn't, but was to ashamed to say it!

count me in.

I was at the bottle bank the last day and the guy next to me remarked that I must have had a party in the house,....which I hadn't, but was to ashamed to say it!

Its much worse when you give a local church regular a lift with a boot and back seats full of stinking not totally empty bottles.

I thought she was gonna ask to get out of the car with the smell of me "from the night before"...i only copped on a while after...

Yeah the bottle bank. I remember that one. These days its only empty coffee jars and bottles of fizzy drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Ah, It was a case of "half measures of ale where nothing":) I went off it once to see how difficult it was for the lads I work with. It was 11 years later before I had another one.

Only drink a few times a year now.
    Wattle wrote: »

11 years Odysseus, how did you manage that?! Do you always order non-alcoholic beverages on a night out?

Odysseus wrote: »
    Ah, It was a case of "half measures of ale where nothing":) I went off it once to see how difficult it was for the lads I work with. It was 11 years later before I had another one.

Only drink a few times a year now.

It's good that you've got it under control. Wouldn't risk it myself. That demon is still in there waiting to be uncorked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Don't give it up, just cut back. Often you try to give it up, works for about 6 weeks then you go back on it and go crazy for about 3 weeks and you are back to square one

Advertisement