Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Up Alcohol: Total Abstinence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

And to any mental health 'professionals' who might be reading in. My advice to you.

Widen your spectrum for assessment and decision making processes.

Open your minds, talk to your clients peers, participate more fully in their lives as part of your assessments.

And if time and finance does not allow for this, then go about making efforts to change that. Record your opinions and efforts made to do so. At the very least this can be used to assist those who follow in your path.

If you do not fully understand and act on your responsibilities, you will fail.

If you fully understand and accept your responsibilities you will never fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

In my opinion, a life without drink sounds very boring
    So which is it... Sounds like **** or "very boring" ??
    Drink is the single most damaging addictive substance in this country, more families have been destroyed by alcohol in this country than by any foreign power or domestic government/ or religion .
    I believe that those who choose not to drink are inherently more intelligent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

barney 20v wrote: »
    Drink is the single most damaging addictive substance in this country, more families have been destroyed by alcohol in this country than by any foreign power or domestic government/ or religion .

There was a thread here a while ago about people who drink more being more intelligent.

There was a thread here a while ago about people who drink more being more intelligent.
    I have my doubts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cora Mahoney

In my opinion, a life without drink sounds very boring

I thought it would be too. In fact, I imagined life without booze as dull, dismal, depressing and other assorted words beginning with D ;)

But it's not at all. And no one is more surprised than me, lol.

And btw: what do you base your opinion on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I haven't drank since 2012

In total agreement, bar the intelligence thing.

I can often get more wisdom from a street drinker who had watched the world go by from the gutter than I can get from a room full of pseudo intellectual professionals who are more concerned with whether or not they put enough time on the parking ticket.

I thought it would be too. In fact, I imagined life without booze as dull, dismal, depressing and other assorted words beginning with D ;)

But it's not at all. And no one is more surprised than me, lol.

And btw: what do you base your opinion on?

I just have a lot of friends who don't drink and their life seema a bit drab. They have nothing todo on the weekend exceot go to the cinema.

• Advertisement

I don't agree, in my experience the opposite is true.

That's fair enough :)

I just have a lot of friends who don't drink and their life seema a bit drab. They have nothing todo on the weekend exceot go to the cinema.
    Demographics at play Here.....

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I haven't drank since 2012

And I've been drinking all year, so der! : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

And I've been drinking all year, so der! : )

I think you have a problem

Demographics at play Here.....

Indeed, age mostly I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cora Mahoney

Strange. My non-drinking pals go pretty much everywhere drinkers do, they just don't order alcoholic drinks! Travel, sports, dancing, dating, .....the adventures that we all get up too are rarely 'boring', especially those who now have waaaaay more money in their pockets having given up the booze (and even more dosh if they gave up fags as well).

Plus: I worked in pubs for many, many years and I can assure you, many drinkers can lead boring lives too ;)

Cheerio folks! And thanks : )

Strange. My non-drinking pals go pretty much everywhere drinkers do, they just don't order alcoholic drinks! Travel, sports, dancing, dating, .....the adventures that we all get up too are rarely 'boring', especially those who now have waaaaay more money in their pockets having given up the booze (and even more dosh if they gave up fags as well).

Plus: I worked in pubs for many, many years and I can assure you, many drinkers can lead boring lives too ;)

It looks boring from a non-drinkers persprecrive. But I can assure you, we're having fun.

When my non-drinking friends are out with us, they just look miserable.

It looks boring from a non-drinkers persprecrive. But I can assure you, we're having fun.

Maybe you possess an apt user name eh?

Maybe you possess an apt user name eh?

Perhaps I do Barney. Perhaps I do :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Maybe you're projecting your own mindset onto them. Because you can't enjoy yourself as much without drink, you think the same must be true for your friends.

Also, your perception of reality will be warped when under the influence.

mickrock wrote: »
    Maybe you're projecting your own mindset onto them. Because you can't enjoy yourself as much without drink, you think the same must be true for your friends.

Also, your perception of reality will be warped when under the influence.

Yeah but they just look like they don't wanna be there. Which is grand, just don;t go to a place where the majority f people are gonna be drinking if you're gonna have a head on you all night.

Yeah but they just look like they don't wanna be there. Which is grand, just don;t go to a place where the majority f people are gonna be drinking if you're gonna have a head on you all night.
    Instead of a head on you all the following day.......???

Instead of a head on you all the following day.......???

I don't get hangovers :D (for the time being)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

a place where the majority f people are gonna be drinking
    This is Ireland...

Ficheall wrote: »
    This is Ireland...

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Great I thought I was in the minority. I've never had a real hangover in my life!

Or liver cirrhosis..... Give it time.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_alcohol

We all have to die of something Barney. I'd rather not die of old age. Anyway, I'm 19, I don't wanna worry about any of this shit for the time being.

• Advertisement

We all have to die of something Barney. I'd rather not die of old age. Anyway, I'm 19, I don't wanna worry about any of this sh[SIZE="2"]i[/SIZE]t for the time being.
    Again demographics.... I pissin my money up some publicans wall when I was 19... Best thing I have ever done. Your age explains a lot

Advertisement