Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The life of ridiculously good looking people

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I have one friend who is really amazing looking, like jaw droppingly gorgeous, she is extremely friendly, fun, reliable and a great person to be able to call a friend. But she has an extremely negative image of herself and very low self esteem, she thinks men try to get her into bed all the time because they don't consider her good enough to be their girlfriend, not because of how attractive she is. She gets horrific treatment by women and left out of a lot of girls nights and excluded from work lunches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I guess you could argue that people who are good looking are more positive and do more things because the experience will be healthier for them. I know there's stuff I'm jut not pushed about due to a lack of buzz about myself. For real good looking, its prob easy to be buzzed up about life

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

slowmoe wrote: »
    I have one friend who is really amazing looking, like jaw droppingly gorgeous, she is extremely friendly, fun, reliable and a great person to be able to call a friend. But she has an extremely negative image of herself and very low self esteem, she thinks men try to get her into bed all the time because they don't consider her good enough to be their girlfriend, not because of how attractive she is. She gets horrific treatment by women and left out of a lot of girls nights and excluded from work lunches

That's pretty rough, no one is safe from that kind of bull**** in life are they? Looks or no looks. Just goes to show that as horrible as that is, we may think other people are having a better time of it than us based on how good looking they are when it's probably not the case at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Madam_X wrote: »
    My avatar?

No. My imagination

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Change it to Dr Zoidberg and see how much he likes you then.:pac:

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/9000000/Zoidberg-dr-zoidberg-9032706-1024-768.jpg

I like the way you watch me from afar Foxx. It's comforting.

* leaves curtains slightly ajar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

PingO_O wrote: »
    That's pretty rough, no one is safe from that kind of bull**** in life are they? Looks or no looks. Just goes to show that as horrible as that is, we may think other people are having a better time of it than us based on how good looking they are when it's probably not the case at all.

Yeah it is a bit rubbish alright, but even more so as she's such a great fun person and the kind of person who is always there for others too and has no idea at all that she is considered so attractive. She's so far from the hot b!tch stereotype its a joke. But she's always been treated like that

She's had the same as previous posters about being accused of making eyes at someones boyfriend or husband or tempting them away etc, really horrendous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

wow, dated a girl like this in the past. had a difficult time believing her.
    she had more male friends than females.

overall, i will say women like her still have it easy especially when they master how to use their appearance for their own good or purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I'm not good with engaging though, like with close people yeah I can talk but when it comes to acquaintance or girls in clubs haven't a clue what to say. Loads of times in a club I'd kiss a girl or whatever but then after that initial stage I wouldn't know what to do haha. Only once have I actually talked to a girl that i met in a club :) real weird when you think of it.

My looks whatever they are is prob my strong point, mixed with being 'nice'. Not like I'm Zac Efron or anything but if a girl was to like me it wouldn't be for my personality I wouldn't say. But then I get down about my looks when I realize they mightn't be enough to save me, its kinda weird. I have a high opinion of myself, but at same time then its like reality hits and I get down(more used to, I'm just not bothered with girls anymore haha) *Sorry going off topic and PI is thatta way!*

You might as well be describing me, Im an above average looking guy but I get it hard to chat women up, I think a lot of it's down to a combination of lack of confidence, shyness and fear of rejection. I do okay but should be doing a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

I was a chubby child, overweight teenager and then in my early twenties managed to shed it all over a number of years.

It didn't transform me into some impossibly beautiful swan or anything, but it did bring me from invisible to quite a pretty, cute, petite girl, all of a sudden on people's radar.

I'm still bemused by the transformation, not of myself but of other people - men who went from ignoring me/looking at me dismissively or insulting me to all of a sudden chasing me around clubs, staring, looking me up and down, opening doors for me, starting conversations with me in public places.

And women - many of whom were my own friends, looking at me with hostility, jealousy, telling me I had lost 'too much weight' (definitely not the case), accusing me of flirting with guys I hadn't even spoken to (was once accused of having sex 'in the toilets' with a guy I just happened to be sitting beside and had a brief conversation with at a wedding!!)

In general the reception to me changed, from one of 'not there' to worthy of being stared at. As a social experiment it would've been massively interesting, but as someone who always struggled with self esteem issues and body image issues it was a bit terrifying, unsettling, really made me feel as though I was out in the cold.

And I'm not stunningly beautiful but I do make an effort with my appearance and would be considered pretty.

It makes me feel for those people who are exceptionally attractive, in a way - especially those - and there are many - who wouldn't have always been considered to be that way - those who grew into their looks.

As midlandsmissus excellently illustrated in her post, good looks don't always go hand in hand with self worth, confidence, high self esteem and I'd imagine it can be incredibly frustrating and saddening to feel so over-valued for your looks, something which really has nothing to do with the real you, and so undervalued for everything else which you may have to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When my mates and I were in our early 20s there was a particular girl who hung out in our group who was exceptionally good looking and wouldn't believe you if you told her. Even her friends would drop the odd catty remark. You couldn't meet a more shy, sensitive, genuine, humble, down to Earth girl. Just a good upbringing. Her siblings were all just the same. Other girls could wear her good looks better and deal with the attention she gets but I really felt she took all the negativity to heart.

Conceitedness is one of the ugliest trait there is, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I usually have to wear wellies whenever I go out as the woman get so wet for me.

I'd say you end up knee deep in clunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

Just going on the general trend here, it appears to work out better for guys than girls. I don't notice it so much now as I'm pretty settled and don't go out so much but I used to get an insane amount of intention when I was younger. As a result, I grew up with no idea about how to chat someone up. Strangers would tell me I should be a movie star, older women used to hit on me (sometimes with their husband in the room), I'd get calls at my desk from girls I met at the weekend having casually told them where I worked. I tended to sit back and let things unfold with the result that I'd be targetted by fairly confident and assertive girls who had no problem making the first move. I only clocked this in my late 20's after a string of relationships with fairly bossy women. I also grew up thinking that some girls really disliked me. I didn't realise it at the time but some of them have since told me that they were intimidated by me. I found it difficult to have casual relationships as most girls wanted to be serious with me and they would get really upset when they realised that they had been reading too much into a fling or one night stand. I hurt a few people before I learned early on that it was best to be really straight and up front from the start. I've gotten at least one job on account of how I look where my boss subsequently admitted to me on a drunken messy night that she fancied me. I kind of became the laughing stock of the place cos she was known as a bit of a man eater and people assumed I was sleeping with her like some toy boy. I was conscious afterwards that whatever career I chose, I'd do it on merit so I've always worked hard since then getting through college and getting qualified and so on. Otherwise, there's no down side to it for a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cardex wrote: »
    Just going on the general trend here, it appears to work out better for guys than girls. I don't notice it so much now as I'm pretty settled and don't go out so much but I used to get an insane amount of intention when I was younger. As a result, I grew up with no idea about how to chat someone up. Strangers would tell me I should be a movie star, older women used to hit on me (sometimes with their husband in the room), I'd get calls at my desk from girls I met at the weekend having casually told them where I worked. I tended to sit back and let things unfold with the result that I'd be targetted by fairly confident and assertive girls who had no problem making the first move. I only clocked this in my late 20's after a string of relationships with fairly bossy women. I also grew up thinking that some girls really disliked me. I didn't realise it at the time but some of them have since told me that they were intimidated by me. I found it difficult to have casual relationships as most girls wanted to be serious with me and they would get really upset when they realised that they had been reading too much into a fling or one night stand. I hurt a few people before I learned early on that it was best to be really straight and up front from the start. I've gotten at least one job on account of how I look where my boss subsequently admitted to me on a drunken messy night that she fancied me. I kind of became the laughing stock of the place cos she was known as a bit of a man eater and people assumed I was sleeping with her like some toy boy. I was conscious afterwards that whatever career I chose, I'd do it on merit so I've always worked hard since then getting through college and getting qualified and so on. Otherwise, there's no down side to it for a guy.

Wow, you must be a knockout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I don't think ridiculously good looking people are any different to "ordinary" people. I have one gorgeous friend who is just the nicest person, a total sweetie as well as totally yummy. I've another gorgeous friend who I've totally gone off because she treats men really badly and is just generally really shallow. But I'd see the same qualities in other uglier friends. So yeah don't think there's any generalities that hold any truth. Some gorgeous people are bitch/bastards/selfish etc, but so are some mingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I have one friend who is really amazing looking, ... blah blah blah ... and very low self esteem

You had me at "low self esteem".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

curlzy wrote: »
    I don't think ridiculously good looking people are any different to "ordinary" people. I have one gorgeous friend who is just the nicest person, a total sweetie as well as totally yummy. I've another gorgeous friend who I've totally gone off because she treats men really badly and is just generally really shallow. But I'd see the same qualities in other uglier friends. So yeah don't think there's any generalities that hold any truth. Some gorgeous people are bitch/bastards/selfish etc, but so are some mingers.

What about how ridiculously good looking people are treated? That must be didifferent I'd surmise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It does make sense even though it’s mean. Quite a few Irish girls won’t approach a guy, they try to send eye signals or bump into guys and a very good looking girl would get more attention. Guys are still expected to do most of the approaching so it’s not such a big issue for us.
    I was out with a friend that would be considered very good looking, he had a girl dance near him and step on his toes to initiate contact. For the love of God don’t do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

curlzy wrote: »

"She's a total sweetie as well as totally yummy".

Are you a professional taster?:P

It's interesting to note that you refer to "other uglier friends".

I'm picturing you introducing your friends:

'Hi there, have ye met? This here is Aoife, who is a total sweetie as well as totally yummy. Here is my other uglier friend, Claire.'

Sorry, curlzy, just struck me as funny.:pac:

"She's a total sweetie as well as totally yummy".

Are you a professional taster?:P

It's interesting to note that you refer to "other uglier friends".

I'm picturing you introducing your friends:

'Hi there, have ye met? This here is Aoife, who is a total sweetie as well as totally yummy. Here is my other uglier friend, Claire.'

Sorry, curlzy, just struck me as funny.:pac:

FOXES CAN TALK?!?!! :eek:

Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

PingO_O wrote: »
    FOXES CAN TALK?!?!! :eek:

Sorry :o

We bark, I'll have you know.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, we humans know all about your kind, stay away from my chickens and we'll get on just fine

Advertisement