Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I was playing around with numbers regarding the 2013 thread. The numbers are quite big, so I stacked them up with previous years and there's a noticeable growth throughout the forum. Let's begin at the 2013 year.

1,740 posts were made stretching over 117 pages (provided you use the default setting of posts-per-page). Taking for around 365 days a year there were 4.7 posts a day. That's quite interesting but looking at it from the user's perspective, posts weren't made every day. We'd log on, have a look at subscriptions and oftentimes there wouldn't be a post for a week. Thus that meant a ton of the posts were made in short spaces of time: pre-match, during-match and post-match. That's impressive. The 2013 thread clocked 112,241 views (it was 112,233 when I started research; in the space of five minutes eight more views were registered). Overall, it got around 307 views a day. Not bad for a thread which is rooted away in the Tipperary forum. The location is key. Taking a quick scan at the GAA forum (which is naturally busy) we're getting a third of the viewers and nearly two-thirds of the post that the Cork GAA thread is getting (and that's the popular one). We're only trailing behind the Galway and Waterford threads yet we've less Boards exposure.

Let's zoom back out and compare these stats from 2010 onwards.

2010 saw 80,466 views, 54 pages and 798 posts. That's quite a bit for its first year in operation (that I can find).

2011...Tipperary won the Championship after that fantastic day and pride was running at an all time high, everything was right with the county and support was rock solid, it might have even picked up some new fans...but an anomaly. Thread activity compared with previous years actually declined: 55,446 views on 39 pages with three hundred less posts, 573. This was a surprise but then things exploded over the next two years.

2012 saw double the page views cracking the 100k barrier for the first time at 107,017 views. Posts numbers trebled to 1,524 with a whopping 102 pages.

2013, astonishingly beat all those records. 112,241 views. 1,740 (now 1,741!) unique posts. 117 pages. The year saw more posts than 2010 and 2011 combined.

The threads (bar 2010) have grown and grown. 2013 was a hive of activity. The knowledge, debate, discussion and user contribution has been immense. There isn't a single page without an important point, humourous note or interesting factoid. Looking at the contributors who made the most posts (click on the blue number on the thread's parent forum, Tipperary and you'll see a small table) the number of users is much larger in 2013 than it was three years ago. More people are talking on this thread and quite naturally, more are learning.

The 2013 thread was massive. 2014 could be even bigger.

Now just for a bit of fun in terms of users with most posts per year. tipp_Gunner has come out on top each year, that won't be a surprise to some!

2010: tipp_gunner with 202 of the 798 posts. looder with 130, tippspur at 102 and Gerard.C with 60.
    2011: tipp_Gunner: 163, tippspur: 67 and myself, ReacherCreature: 37
    2012: TG at an eye-watering 450 (!), ReacherCreature with 125, premierstone at 109 and tippspur dropped out of third to fourth with a commendable 104!
    2013: tipp_Gunner retained his crown (again!) with 428. I was runner up for the second year with 148 and Davin Stand, a new entry with 107 posts on the thread.

Even though it's a bit of fun the above tells you something, new posters can jump in and out and contribute and contribute massively! The 2014 thread is on a potential upward trend to beat 2013. So if you've an opinion, fact, question or want something to chat about, click that 'post reply' button and get stuck in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Fair play reacher, that's some serious research into that post.
    I'd also be in favour of a new thread, start afresh every year just like the teams do.

I'd also be in favour of a new thread, start afresh every year just like the teams do.

Also just to point out our forum has become a lot more diverse in the last year with spirit of 67 providing plenty of updates on our footballers. It seems like we improve the forum each year by having new contributors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I was playing around with numbers regarding the 2013 thread. The numbers are quite big, so I stacked them up with previous years and there's a noticeable growth throughout the forum. Let's begin at the 2013 year.

1,740 posts were made stretching over 117 pages (provided you use the default setting of posts-per-page). Taking for around 365 days a year there were 4.7 posts a day. That's quite interesting but looking at it from the user's perspective, posts weren't made every day. We'd log on, have a look at subscriptions and oftentimes there wouldn't be a post for a week. Thus that meant a ton of the posts were made in short spaces of time: pre-match, during-match and post-match. That's impressive. The 2013 thread clocked 112,241 views (it was 112,233 when I started research; in the space of five minutes eight more views were registered). Overall, it got around 307 views a day. Not bad for a thread which is rooted away in the Tipperary forum. The location is key. Taking a quick scan at the GAA forum (which is naturally busy) we're getting a third of the viewers and nearly two-thirds of the post that the Cork GAA thread is getting (and that's the popular one). We're only trailing behind the Galway and Waterford threads yet we've less Boards exposure.

2010 saw 80,466 views, 54 pages and 798 posts. That's quite a bit for its first year in operation (that I can find).

2011...Tipperary won the Championship after that fantastic day and pride was running at an all time high, everything was right with the county and support was rock solid, it might have even picked up some new fans...but an anomaly. Thread activity compared with previous years actually declined: 55,446 views on 39 pages with three hundred less posts, 573. This was a surprise but then things exploded over the next two years.

2012 saw double the page views cracking the 100k barrier for the first time at 107,017 views. Posts numbers trebled to 1,524 with a whopping 102 pages.

2013, astonishingly beat all those records. 112,241 views. 1,740 (now 1,741!) unique posts. 117 pages. The year saw more posts than 2010 and 2011 combined.

The threads (bar 2010) have grown and grown. 2013 was a hive of activity. The knowledge, debate, discussion and user contribution has been immense. There isn't a single page without an important point, humourous note or interesting factoid. Looking at the contributors who made the most posts (click on the blue number on the thread's parent forum, Tipperary and you'll see a small table) the number of users is much larger in 2013 than it was three years ago. More people are talking on this thread and quite naturally, more are learning.

Now just for a bit of fun in terms of users with most posts per year. tipp_Gunner has come out on top each year, that won't be a surprise to some!

2010: tipp_gunner with 202 of the 798 posts. looder with 130, tippspur at 102 and Gerard.C with 60.
    2012: TG at an eye-watering 450 (!), ReacherCreature with 125, premierstone at 109 and tippspur dropped out of third to fourth with a commendable 104!
    2013: tipp_Gunner retained his crown (again!) with 428. I was runner up for the second year with 148 and Davin Stand, a new entry with 107 posts on the thread.

Even though it's a bit of fun the above tells you something, new posters can jump in and out and contribute and contribute massively! The 2014 thread is on a potential upward trend to beat 2013. So if you've an opinion, fact, question or want something to chat about, click that 'post reply' button and get stuck in!

No wonder the country is up in a heap! Any man who was doing an honest days work for an honest days pay wouldn't have time to be posting so often or compiling big statistical posts like this one.BTW if Tipp make a serious effort this year the allIreland is there for the taking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

No wonder the country is up in a heap! Any man who was doing an honest days work for an honest days pay wouldn't have time to be posting so often or compiling big statistical posts like this one.BTW if Tipp make a serious effort this year the allIreland is there for the taking!

That is a very unfair comment, peoples personal situations and lifestyles are different, not to mention the great enjoyment they get from their passion about the GAA and the satisfaction it gives them to keep followers informed and right up to date with the County and Inter county scene.

As a matter of interest have you any idea how long it takes to play 18 holes in Clonmel Golf Club located on the foothills of the Comeragh Mountains? Let me tell you, you would do an awful lot of writing if you were to skip one round. Many people would play this course at least three times a week in summer. So let us support the people who make this thread so interesting to so many GAA supporters up and down the country.

Hopefully this year we will have a lot more to write about our footballers who are making valiant efforts to make it up the ladder.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Paddico wrote: »
    While were on the topic, does anyone know a good Tipperary GAA discussion forum. I mean the ones that discusses teams separately, like Senior Football, U-21 Hurling, player threads, club competitions etc.

You can discuss all the above here and if there is sufficient interest in the subject under discussion, there are plenty of people in the know here who would be very happy to reply to your posts and get discussions going!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

My personal opinion : I say well done to Brendan Cummins for taking himself off to Kerry to be their goal keeping coach. It would be great to see the Green and Gold become a force in hurling.

Begor judging by some of your own posts your not going to be the hero this country needs either. You've the cheek to use the name realdanbreen.

OAOB wrote: »

Right that settles it. New 2014 thread. Im going for 5 in a row!!!!! :D

THE DRIVE FOR 5 IS ON BABY!!!!

• Advertisement

I had a feeling someone would say that. Not the kinda thread I was think of, i.e. one GAA thread for everything happening in Tipp.
    See the foot thread for more of a description
    http://foot.ie/forums/24-Ireland

You could try Premierview but tbh they are an old boys club ran by big babies who take the ball away when someone has a different opinion to them.

talkhurling.proboards.com not bad either and i think our very own looder could be one of the mods on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ah Dan, chill out. I was just playing around with some numbers and this kind of thing fascinates me so why not.

It's ironic, you cut the back off us and then make a contribution. Good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great job there reachercreature.

Xenophile wrote: »
    That is a very unfair comment, peoples personal situations and lifestyles are different, not to mention the great enjoyment they get from their passion about the GAA and the satisfaction it gives them to keep followers informed and right up to date with the County and Inter county scene.

As a matter of interest have you any idea how long it takes to play 18 holes in Clonmel Golf Club located on the foothills of the Comeragh Mountains? Let me tell you, you would do an awful lot of writing if you were to skip one round. Many people would play this course at least three times a week in summer. So let us support the people who make this thread so interesting to so many GAA supporters up and down the country.

Hopefully this year we will have a lot more to write about our footballers who are making valiant efforts to make it up the ladder.

I've been saying it for years on this forum and when I was 'poster in residence' on An Fear Rua that anyone that needs to post more than 5 or 6 lines to make a point would more than likely bore the arse off you if you were sitting beside them in a pub.BTW why are you anti golf?

Begor judging by some of your own posts your not going to be the hero this country needs either. You've the cheek to use the name realdanbreen.

RealDan has been patrolling the internet defending the Blue & Gold long long before any johnnycomelatelys came along putting up little coloured posts and doffing the cap to the Kilkenny crowd!:cool:

BTW why are you anti golf?

Jumping to conclusions is not a good way to get or stay fit and healthy!

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Hastings Cup Round 2 :

Tipp 3-12 Wicklow 2-06 .

Leinster MFL 2014 , Also includes Cork , limerick and Clare !

Group 3 :

Wicklow
    Louth
    Longford
    Tipperary

Round 1: Saturday, February 8th - Longford v Tipperary; venue tbc, 4pm.
    Round 2: Saturday, February 15th - Wicklow v Tipperary; venue tbc, 4pm.
    Round 3: Wednesday, February 19th - Louth v Tipperary; venue tbc, 7pm.

RealDan has been patrolling the internet defending the Blue & Gold long long before any johnnycomelatelys came along putting up little coloured posts and doffing the cap to the Kilkenny crowd!:cool:

'Rea Dan' (since we are talking about you in the third person) does more of a disservice to the blue and gold supporters on the internet tbh. Might be an idea to pick your arguments carefully in future instead of diving in making a buffoon of yourself and the county.

Id love for anything to take the Kilkenny crowd and a few more counties down a peg or two but the way things are in the camp at the moment we wont be doing that in a hurry.

Attitude badly needs to change and places for some of the annual failures are far far too safe. To cap it off there is certain other lads who came from u21 last year who should be nowhere near the panel. Im sure the few hardworking players wont be impressed

Tipperary, Shane Hassett, Oisin O’Flynn, Niall O’Sullivan, Conor O’Sullivan, Jack Loughnane, John Meagher Capt., Tom Meade 0-1, Colin O’Riordan, Paul Shanahan 0-2, Jamie Moloney 1-0, Greg Henry, Dean McEnroe 1-1, Sean Flynn 0-6 (0-4 frees), Michael Quinlivan 0-1, Conor Kenneally 1-1.

Subs, Gearoid Slattery, Pierce Richardson for John Meagher (Black card / first half), Kevin Fahey for Colin O’Riordan (Black / first half), Daniel Guinan for Conor O’Sullivan (Black / second half), Ed O’Meara for Niall O’Sullivan, Mark Russell for Jamie Moloney.

Team that played Wicklow , A lot of changes from the team that won the All Ireland , I know that there are injuries and players unavailable , so it is good to see there is a strong panel . Anyone know what the story is with Philip Quirke , he was in Boston last year , is he home , he would be a serious addition ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Could we close this thread maybe to avoid confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Paddico

Tipperary, Shane Hassett, Oisin O’Flynn, Niall O’Sullivan, Conor O’Sullivan, Jack Loughnane, John Meagher Capt., Tom Meade 0-1, Colin O’Riordan, Paul Shanahan 0-2, Jamie Moloney 1-0, Greg Henry, Dean McEnroe 1-1, Sean Flynn 0-6 (0-4 frees), Michael Quinlivan 0-1, Conor Kenneally 1-1.

Subs, Gearoid Slattery, Pierce Richardson for John Meagher (Black card / first half), Kevin Fahey for Colin O’Riordan (Black / first half), Daniel Guinan for Conor O’Sullivan (Black / second half), Ed O’Meara for Niall O’Sullivan, Mark Russell for Jamie Moloney.

Team that played Wicklow , A lot of changes from the team that won the All Ireland , I know that there are injuries and players unavailable , so it is good to see there is a strong panel . Anyone know what the story is with Philip Quirke , he was in Boston last year , is he home , he would be a serious addition ?

I hope he's around, he would be a serous loss if not.
    The only player I recognise in that bunch is Quinlivan. Whats the story with the other big names from 2011.
    S O’Brien
    I Fahey
    J McGrath
    L McGrath
    S Kennedy
    D Fitzelle
    I know Colman Kennedy has been with Cork City FC but he hasnt played for the first team yet.
    Here's hoping if they release him he might return to the u21's as well. His goal in 2011 was unreal

Liam McGrath and Steven O`Brien played last week against Leitrim . I reckon the fringe players are getting a chance at this stage . Should be the first 15 next week v Meath . Greg Henry is also with Cork City and he played on Saturday while Niall O’Sullivan was on the 2011 team . TJ Ryan is involved with UL but they were knocked out of the McGrath yesterday so he should be back nexy week .

Liam McGrath and Steven O`Brien played last week against Leitrim . I reckon the fringe players are getting a chance at this stage . Should be the first 15 next week v Meath . Greg Henry is also with Cork City and he played on Saturday while Niall O’Sullivan was on the 2011 team . TJ Ryan is involved with UL but they were knocked out of the McGrath yesterday so he should be back nexy week .

I never heard that about Greg Henry but not saying its not true. he hasn’t been on the u19 for their last couple of games and I'd be surprised if City left him continue playing football. Just had a look at their website and forum and no mention of him. I could be wrong though.

There`s no mention of Kennedy or Henry on the Club website but are both named on Wikipedia ( not always the most reliable source ) as being Cork City Under 19`s . Reckon they are both over age at this stage anyway . Btw , Seamus Kennedy played last week also .

Savage new job done on the new Tipperary GAA website

Am I living in a parallel universe or something or are there others who think the website, while an improvement is still shocking and dire.
    Considering the amount of Tipp fans about, is this really the best they can do.
    Links are terrible: the sports link only has hurling, the players link only have Hurling profiles.
    Club shop is very very limited.
    Email notification doesn’t work.
    Content for Tipperary GAA is very outdated
    Fixtures and results doesn’t have… well any fixtures or very limited fixtures.
    While the look and feel is a little better, in the days of fancy websites it really is a shame this is the best they can produce.
    Compare it to Rugby and even Domestic football, its even an embarrassment!!

Am I living in a parallel universe or something or are there others who think the website, while an improvement is still shocking and dire.
    Considering the amount of Tipp fans about, is this really the best they can do.
    Links are terrible: the sports link only has hurling, the players link only have Hurling profiles.
    Club shop is very very limited.
    Email notification doesn’t work.
    Content for Tipperary GAA is very outdated
    Fixtures and results doesn’t have… well any fixtures or very limited fixtures.
    While the look and feel is a little better, in the days of fancy websites it really is a shame this is the best they can produce.
    Compare it to Rugby and even Domestic football, its even an embarrassment!!

Yeah on further navigation of the site id tend to agree. I do think the design is nice but the content is poor

I think the mods should close this thread. The 2014 thread is open now so we need to start getting in the habit of using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Yeah on further navigation of the site id tend to agree. I do think the design is nice but the content is poor

Ger Ryan used to keep it very up to date, and Ed Donnelly before him but I believe no one was appointed to PRO to replace Ger Ryan at the County Board AGM and this has been carried forward to this month's meeting. Things should get back to normal then hopefully.

• Advertisement
Advertisement