Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options
  • 30-12-2012 3:18pm

20091123164209!TIPP-GAA-CREST.png
    UP THE PREMIER!!!
    2013. New year, new hurling manager and hopefully more accolades.

Here are the upcoming fixtures for Inter-county and club teams from The Tipperary GAA site
    Upcoming fixtures for Tipperary clubs in the Munster & All-Ireland Club Championship:-

• [FONT=arial, sans-serif]January 27th @ 2:00pm in O'Moore Park Portlaoise - Silvermines v[/FONT] Clara (Kilkenny) [FONT=arial, sans-serif]- All-Ireland Club Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Final[/FONT]
    • February 9th @ 2:00pm in O'Moore Park Portlaoise - Thurles Sarsfields v Kilcormac/Killoughey (Offaly) [FONT=arial, sans-serif]- All-Ireland Club Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Upcoming fixtures for the Tipperary Senior hurlers include:-[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Please note that the venue for these games are in (brackets)

• January 27th @ 2:00pm vs. Limerick or Mary Immaculate College (Tipperary venue) - 2013 Waterford Crystal Cup Quarter-Final
    • February 23rd @ 7:00pm - vs. Cork (Pairc Ui Rinn) - 2013 Allianz Hurling League
    • March 10th @ 2:00pm - vs. Kilkenny (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 Allianz Hurling League
    • March 18th @ 2:00pm - vs. Galway (Pearse Stadium Galway) - 2013 Allianz Hurling League
    • March 24th @ 2:30pm - vs. Waterford (Waterford venue) - 2013 Allianz Hurling League
    • March 31st @ 3:00pm - vs. Clare (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 Allianz Hurling League
    • June 9th @ 4:00pm vs. Limerick (Gaelic Grounds Limerick) - 2013 Munster Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final
    Upcoming fixtures for the Tipperary Senior footballers include:-
    • January 13th @ 2:00pm vs. Cork or CIT (Cork or Tipperary venue) - 2013 McGrath Cup Quarter-Final
    • February 3rd @ 2:00pm - vs. Carlow (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • February 9th @ 7:00pm - vs. Waterford (Waterford venue) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • March 3rd @ 2:00pm - vs. London (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • March 9th @ 2:00pm - vs. Clare (Clare venue) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • March 16th @ 7:00pm - vs. Limerick (Limerick venue) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • March 24th @ 2:00pm - vs. Leitrim (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • April 7th @ 3:00pm - vs. Offaly (Offaly venue) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • May 26th @ 2:00pm vs. Kerry (Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney) - 2013 Munster Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Upcoming fixtures for the other Tipperary inter-county teams include - [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]March 13th @ 7:30pm vs. Waterford (Tipperary venue) - [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]2013 Cadbury Munster GAA Football U21 Championship[/FONT] Quarter-Final
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]March 27th @ 7:30pm vs. Clare (Tipperary venue) - [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]2013 Cadbury Munster GAA Football U21 Championship[/FONT] Semi-Final (if Tipperary defeat Waterford in the Quarter-Final)
    • April 10th @ 7:00pm vs. Waterford (Waterford venue) - 2013 Electric Ireland Munster GAA Hurling Minor Championship
    • April 20th @ 7:00pm vs. Clare (Clare venue) - 2013 Electric Ireland Munster GAA Football Minor Championship
    • May 26th @ 12:00pm vs. Kerry (Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney) - 2013 Munster Junior Football Championship Quarter-Final
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]June 6th @ 7:30pm vs. Limerick (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 [/FONT]Bord Gais Energy Munster GAA Hurling U21 Championship Quarter-Final
    • June 9th @ 1:45pm vs. Limerick (Gaelic Grounds Limerick) - 2013 Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Final
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]July 17th @ 7:30pm vs. Cork (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 [/FONT]Bord Gais Energy Munster GAA Hurling U21 Championship Semi-Final (if Tipperary defeat Limerick in the Quarter-Final)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Good article on the Sindo yesterday about the NFL Division 4 . Great to see Barry Grogan back for Tipp . Mentioned that there is a 38 man preliminary panel , anyone know what it is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Best of luck to all Tipperary teams in 2013,especially Eamonn O Shea and the senior Hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The last thread was a cracking effort, hoping for more of the same this time around.

Good luck to footballers and hurlers this year. With each passing day I'm getting excited!

Good article on the Sindo yesterday about the NFL Division 4 . Great to see Barry Grogan back for Tipp . Mentioned that there is a 38 man preliminary panel , anyone know what it is ?

Barry is a huge addition. His line of work though it would seem that whatever industry he is in he has to travel to get work these last few years which is a huge pity. His brother Seamus would be still good enough to make the county team if he wanted it also. To have Barry, Quinlivan and Moloney in the fwd line next year with Acheson and possibly Sean Carey in the half forwards
    The last thread was a cracking effort, hoping for more of the same this time around.

Good luck to footballers and hurlers this year. With each passing day I'm getting excited!

I love going to matches. From waking that morning to meeting the travelling party, the motorway up or down, the quick burger or two before the game, the entering the stadium with anticipation, taking your seat, enjoying the curtain raiser, then the buildup to the big game with the teams entering the field, the parade, amhrain na bfhiann, the throw in with plenty of digging in the ribs, the highs and lows, the nervousness, the tension, the elation of Tipp getting a goal, the horrible feeling of conceding one......is there any better experience you'd have on earth??? And were only fans....what must the players be feeling? Even in Pairc Ui Kip its still a good match experience...just take the cramped seats and crumbling stadium and all the other safety hazards out of the equation.

Sean Carey in the half forwards

Will he play football? I remember he played on the U21 team in 2010 but never knew he played football. I went to school with the lad, he's a sound guy.
    I love going to matches.

You've got the atmosphere spot on! Same here about the matches - it's (usually!) a great day out. It's just a nuisance about Thurles. From Clonmel where I'm based, it's impossible to get there on public transport so usually I rely on a friend who'll go there if Limerick are playing. Must ask around this year if anyone's going that way. I'd like to get to some of the league matches and offer support too rather than just the championship.

• Advertisement

Will he play football? I remember he played on the U21 team in 2010 but never knew he played football. I went to school with the lad, he's a sound guy.

Carey prefers the hurling and therefore walked off the football panel from 2010 to 2012 (in 2010 to concentrate on u21 hurling, 2011 because he was on the Senior senior panel and 2012 because he was on the intermediate hurling panel).

If truth be known he is probably a better footballer not that he is a bad hurler or anything. As last years intermediate panel are not eligible this year i would imagine he will go with the footballers until a time where he might get a call up from O'Shea. TBH he got a rash run from management in 2011 and performed no where near his capabilities. In football terms he has been involved since 08-09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Sean Carey is in Australia not sure if he'll be back or not but definitley not part of any panel at the moment

Sean Carey is in Australia not sure if he'll be back or not but definitley not part of any panel at the moment

Id imagine if he was to return he'd definitely get a call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

I would say that Sean Carey, if he came home, would be more likely to make the football panel than the hurling panel.

I would say that Sean Carey, if he came home, would be more likely to make the football panel than the hurling panel.

Id agree with that and tbh he would prob the football with little challenge but with the right tutelage he might also make a great hurler down the line.

Played decent enough at intermediate last year. Yes he was poor in 2011 but it could be down to nerves or lack of confidence and lets face it the last management weren't the best at people skills in terms of advising him the way forward. Eamon O'Shea could make a great hurler out of him yet if he was to see the potential in him.

• Advertisement

Interested to ask if anyone's going to join the Tipperary Supporters Club for 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tipperary GAA finances are facing a "fiscal cliff" would like to hear suggestions as to how expenses could be better managed.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Xenophile wrote: »
    Tipperary GAA finances are facing a "fiscal cliff" would like to hear suggestions as to how expenses could be better managed.

We have 6 boards within in the county - 4 Divisional and County Hurling and Football - where one would be more than adequate.

Whats that 36 to 48 expense accounts cut down to 6 to 8.

Interested to ask if anyone's going to join the Tipperary Supporters Club for 2013?

Considering it myself though im not working at the moment. Renewed the Season Ticket alright

We have 6 boards within in the county - 4 Divisional and County Hurling and Football - where one would be more than adequate.

Whats that 36 to 48 expense accounts cut down to 6 to 8.

Dont forget all the 'Bord Na NOgs' too. One across the county would be more than sufficient there also. Does the Camogie and Ladies Football boards also come under the County Board financial umbrella?

Email any suggestions to the county board.
    Sean Nugent in particular gave me a very positive reply and comes across as a very nice guy

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/contact-information

Tipperary squad to play UCC on Sunday.

Cummins,

O'Keefe, Stapleton, O' Brien,
    Hamill, Hennessy, Brendan Maher,

Johnny Ryan, Aido Ryan,

Heffernan, Woodlock, Seanie Curran,
    Hammersley, Kelly, Shane Bourke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Email any suggestions to the county board.
    Sean Nugent in particular gave me a very positive reply and comes across as a very nice guy

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/contact-information

In my opinion managers of local GAA clubs should not be paid for their services, like the players let them have the same rewards.

We need transparency and openness. Post your comments here if you feel strong enough about them. It will be better to have them discussed here and you can be sure enough that the County Board will be watching.

So post them here and share them with the grass roots members who have the best interests of the county at heart.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Tipp team to play UCC next Sunday.

Team to play ucc sunday at 2pm in emily. B cummins. j o keefe.p stapelton. C o brien. Tossy hammill. S hennessy. Brendan maher. Johnny ryan. Aido ryan. Micke heffernan. J woodlock. S curran. Timmy hammersley. E kelly. Shane Burke.

Already posted above tippspur ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Xenophile wrote: »
    In my opinion managers of local GAA clubs should not be paid for their services, like the players let them have the same rewards.

We need transparency and openness. Post your comments here if you feel strong enough about them. It will be better to have them discussed here and you can be sure enough that the County Board will be watching.

So post them here and share them with the grass roots members who have the best interests of the county at heart.

It's not the mangers that are being paid. It's the coaches that are brought in from other clubs/counties. To get a good coach you have to pay money! Paying them for their expertise.

Already posted above tippspur ;)
    Sorry RC I didn't see that,you beat me to it.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

It's not the managers that are being paid. It's the coaches that are brought in from other clubs/counties. To get a good coach you have to pay money! Paying them for their expertise.
    same thing isnt it? manager/coach can be the same thing at times in different places. Take tony considine when he was involved with burgess a few yrs ago. He was the manager and was the coach as well.
    To get a decent coach on most occasions you do have to pay well for the expertise they will provide

tippspur wrote: »
    Sorry RC I didn't see that,you beat me to it.:o

Only messing with you tippspur!

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Congratulations to Killenaule`s Paddy Codd on being named Senior Football Captain . Hopefully a successful season ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Tipp Minors are playing Wexford in a challenge tomorrow in Mooncoin in Co. Kilkenny at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Senior hurling challenge result Tipperary 3-23 UCC 2-15

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

looder wrote: »
    Tipp Minors are playing Wexford in a challenge tomorrow in Mooncoin in Co. Kilkenny at 11am.

Any result on that? Anyone know the team?

alan27 wrote: »
    Senior hurling challenge result Tipperary 3-23 UCC 2-15

Timmy Hammersley with two goals. Shane Bourke with the other. Not sure on points.

Was it a challenge or a part of the McGrath cup as one person said on Twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Timmy Hammersley with two goals. Shane Bourke with the other. Not sure on points.

Was it a challenge or a part of the McGrath cup as one person said on Twitter?
    It was a tournament game.

The McGrath cup is football. Tipp are playing Cork in it next week.

Advertisement