Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

alan27 wrote: »
    Any result on that? Anyone know the team?

Tipp won easily in the end. They played 3 20 or 25 minute thirds.

I was there but hadn't a team for it.

I didn't know all the Tipp lads (including some of the AI winners from last September) but I'll give a brief rundown of who I did know.

The Tipp team also changed dramatically with more than 30 players used.

Hoagn started in goal (Ken's son?). Made an outstanding save where he got his stick to a point blank shot to push it onto the crossbar. He's only out of 16s I think.

Two Swan men in the full back line. Lee Wall corner back and Dale O Hanlon full back. The other corner back was outstanding. The two Swan men hadn't their best games ever. Wexford used two full forwards at different stages and both were very strong physically and both were very good hurlers. The first (number 14) is from Raperees as far as I know and is an excellent hurler.

Kirwan of Ballybacon started half back and went up corner forward in the 2nd thrid. Did very well up in the forwards.

There was a midfielder from Roscrea. Callinan or something who was the best on show. He was some man to break a tackle.

Conor Lanigan was the best of the starting forwards. He started half forward (could have been corner actually). Jack Shelly was centre forward and wasn't great but his man was a very good hurler. Shelly's not afraid to use timber anyway.

Pa Ryan of Newport came on and should have got a goal (he took his eye off an easy enough catch). Shane Hennessey of Nayna also came on and did well. His off the ball play is something else for a 15/16 year old.

Ross Mulcahy of Moyle Rovers did pretty well too when he was on. I think he was midfield/half forward.

The first 15 that lined out for Wexford were pretty good. The full back was very physical and pulled on anything that moved. The Wexford centre back was also good as were 2 or 3 of their forwards with the number 14 probably their best.

The Tipp panel is far superior to the Wexford panel but the first 15s that started, Wexford looked a bit ahead of Tipp (it was nowhere near what will start for Tipp come championship and I'm not sure about Wexford).

Colin O' Riordan started centre back. Ronan Maher came on early due to an injury to either O' Riordan or the half back.

Michael Dunne of Mullinahone also got some gametime.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance with the report but somebody else might be able to add to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Tipp senior hurlers beat UCC comfortably in a challenge game today in Emly. The finalscore was 3-23 to 2-15. Timmy Hammersley got about 2-3/2-4 and Shane Bourke got the other goal an absolute beauty of a goal. The game saw the return of Paddy Saint and Fez Hennessy both of whom aqquited themselves well as did debutant Tossy Hammill. Fine crowd there also

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

looder wrote: »
    It was a tournament game.

The McGrath cup is football. Tipp are playing Cork in it next week.

it was a fundraising game for emly primary school as far as i know.thought cummins puckouts were very good alto the 2nd goal we gave them was sloppy.young hamill had a very good game as did paddy saint imo.i thought hennessy,bourke,timmy and the 2 midfielders were good in bits and bobs.b maher had another bad game and really needs to get back to basics and have we seen the end of eoin kelly very poor i thought today for a man of his standing missed 2 or 3 frees as well.pitch held up well considering the time of year so credit to the groundsmen/women:)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Does Kelly look to play these games in January himself I wonder cause I really dont see the point of it. At this stage of his career I dont think we should see him playing until March/April.

Much rather see someone like buggy in there or some one of the younger players because it was a competitive challenge match and a useful test for them. Interesting that they didnt use any sub either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

deejer wrote: »
    Does Kelly look to play these games in January himself I wonder cause I really dont see the point of it. At this stage of his career I dont think we should see him playing until March/April.

Much rather see someone like buggy in there or some one of the younger players because it was a competitive challenge match and a useful test for them. Interesting that they didnt use any sub either.
    Reason no sub was used is all the subs had a tough session in Lattin this morning.

Kelly is fighting for his place on the panel. He's no longer the first name on the team sheet and is in real trouble to keep his place on the 24 so he'll have to play a lot of hurling this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Senior Hurling Challenge - Tipperary v Offaly on Sunday January 13th at 2:00pm in Templemore

deejer wrote: »

looder wrote: »
    Reason no sub was used is all the subs had a tough session in Lattin this morning.

Kelly is fighting for his place on the panel. He's no longer the first name on the team sheet and is in real trouble to keep his place on the 24 so he'll have to play a lot of hurling this winter.

Bit of a catch 22 with Eoin. With a new manager its understandable he has to start from scratch and prove he is worthy of a place but tbh Eoin could probably do with a longer rest.

Its different in Kilkenny for example where Cody and Shefflin have been there since 1999 and at this stage Cody knows Shefflin inside out and what his body can handle and how vital he is to the side. We on the other hand have had such a turnover of managers and turmoil that Eoin has had to hit the ground running from day 1 the last few years in order to prove himself where in truth if hypothetically speaking, Sheedy and O'Shea continued after 2010, Eoin would have received his rest and there would have been continuous monitoring of his situation.

Last years management should have known he needed a rest after 2011 but totally ignored this. I cant blame O'Shea for starting him from scratch as he has stated he has to give everyone a fair crack at the whip starting off and he cant make any exceptions. We are probably in a healthy position with a good pool of players going forward. Probably the healthiest we've ever been in during the modern era.

Eoin seems to have lost his mobility which has a knock on effect on his strength. I was told that he was out-muscled yesterday by his opponent and that is due to the fact with little mobility comes little momentum to apply his strength. He certainly isnt short of physique anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Shane bourke and timmy certainly out played him yesterday. No arguements there. Got to say it would be a sad situation to see Kelly dropped from the panel and think it would do more harm than good

With the last puck of the game yesterday he put over the point of the game. 50yards out back to goal and fella standing on him it was his trademark over the shoulder point. Pace or no pace there arent many players who can score points like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Was there much of a crowd at the game yesterday?

I think Kelly is definitely worth a spot in the match day squad, him coming on with 20mins to go gives us a big lift and as deejer pointed out he can still get scores that other players can't. Playing him at this time of the year isn't going to suit him, O'Shea should know enough about him from their previous time working together, give him a run out in late Feb and judge then. Matches like these are for unproven players to get a chance not for experienced players. With Eoins injury history he should be rested more than most

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

OAOB wrote: »
    Was there much of a crowd at the game yesterday?

700 according to this.
    Hammersley on fire as Tipp win opener
    By Jackie Cahill

Monday, January 07, 2013

Tipperary 3-23 UCC 2-15

Eamon O’Shea’s first game in charge of the Tipperary senior hurlers resulted in a comfortable 11 point victory over UCC in a challenge game played at Emly yesterday.

Timmy Hammersley notched 2-5 for the Premier County as a fundraiser for Emly national school attracted an estimated 700 attendance on a chilly afternoon.

There was also a long-awaited return from injury for 2010 All-Ireland senior and U21 medallist Seamus Hennessy, who starred at centre-back against the students.

O’Shea, who did not use any substitutes, also handed a senior bow to 2012 All-Ireland minor medallist Tomás Hamill, who did well at right half back.

Scorers for Tipperary: T Hammersley 2-5, S Bourke 1-1, J Ryan (2f), A Ryan & E Kelly (2f), 0-4 each, M Heffernan & J Woodlock 0-2 each, S Curran 0-1.

Scorers for UCC: P Haughney 0-4, J Ahern 0-4f, A Breen & B O’Sullivan 1-0 each, D McCormack 0-3, W Griffen (2f) & M Sugrue, 0-2 each.

TIPPERARY: B Cummins; J O’Keeffe, P Stapleton, C O’Brien; T Hamill, S Hennessy, B Maher; J Ryan, A Ryan; M Heffernan, J Woodlock, S Curran; T Hammersley, E Kelly, S Bourke.

UCC: D McCarthy; K Ryan, D Glynn, K Murphy; J Barry, J Nagle, W Egan; B Murray, P Haughney; M Sugrue, D McCormack, B Hartnett; A Breen, B O’Sullivan, W Griffen.

Subs: B Coughlan for Nagle, J Ahern for Griffen, P Deasy for O’Sullivan, P Lupton for Hartnett, M Carroll for Breen, B Cleary for Ryan, P Prendergast for Murphy.

Referee: P Russell (Emly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭oats 2

total cod it is judging eoin kelly at this stage of the season.people on here saying he is struggling to make the first 24.how does anyone know who is or isnt struggling to make the panel for a game in late may.
    management are entilted to bloody well play him in every game this season if tats what they think is best for him.
    its simply 2 early in the year for this negative talk.same old same old on this thread anyway.
    i think eamon o shea knows enough about kelly that surely he doesnt have to prove his worthy of a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

For me Eoin Kelly has been miss managed for the past 4/5 seasons. Regularly we have seen him line out for the team at this time of the year when there was never any need. Some of the kilkenny players don't get near a field until the long evenings.

It was clear some years ago the Kelly was struggling for fitness. Weight and injury problems had started to blight his performances largely due to a decade of being targeted by opposing defences.
    Kelly had a great ability to be able to latch onto a loose ball and score from almost any position on the field. He also had a great eye for a killer pass. He should have started in the full forward line and be given a license to roam out around half forward and even midfield picking up loose ball. Leaving him isolated against designated man markers was just criminal.

Due to miss management it may well be the end of his inter county career now, he has taken serious punishment over the years and i'm afraid its finally taken its toll.

Fantastic player though, I hope they find a place for him in the team and we may again have "Eoin Kelly is the son of God" blasting out from underneath the scoreboard :)

oats 2 wrote: »
    total cod it is judging eoin kelly at this stage of the season.people on here saying he is struggling to make the first 24.how does anyone know who is or isnt struggling to make the panel for a game in late may.
    management are entilted to bloody well play him in every game this season if tats what they think is best for him.
    its simply 2 early in the year for this negative talk.same old same old on this thread anyway.
    i think eamon o shea knows enough about kelly that surely he doesnt have to prove his worthy of a place.

While i agree with you that it is early to judge, i think it is fair to point out that despite Eoin being just 31, his influence has become minimalised the last two years. My honest opinion at this stage would be that in order for Tipperary to do the best thing for Eoin Kelly, then it would be better to introduce him at a latter stage of the league and give him more of a breather just as Waterford do with Tony Browne and Kilkenny seem to be in no hurry to see Shefflin either. Before Henry's recent injury the talk was that he wouldnt see action either way until March.
    Of course its not about what's best for Eoin Kelly any longer but whats best for Tipperary hurling and thats rightly so. From Eamon O'Shea's point of view, Eoin has to show the same commitment as the rest because you have the likes of Shane Bourke and John O'Dwyer in the fray now chomping at the bit and everyone has to get a fair crack at the whip. However, the intense training regime from January on may be to his detriment.

In terms of Eoin Kelly's aspirations in the blue and gold going forward, then he is at a huge disadvantage starting off in January. He would benefit greater from a rest. For him its a catch 22. He has to slog away and compete with younger players and that's a battle he could well potentially lose and the flip side is if he asks for a break the same thing could happen. Although he'd be fresher for it, we have a decent crop of forwards coming through and Eoin could miss out if he isnt there to prove himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

has anyone the team for sunday or does anyone know when it will be announced?:)

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Anyone know the Team to play Cork tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Anyone know the Team to play Cork tomorrow ?
    No sign of any white smoke yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

No mention of team yet. County Board tweeted 6 hours ago that they hadnt heard team yet
    Below are the motions for tuesdays meeting on format of senior hurling championship this year
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Z2FhLmllfHRpcHBlcmFyeS1nYWF8Z3g6NTE4MDY0NWZjNWNhZWE2NQ

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Tipperary team v. Cork - McGrath Cup - Paul Fitzgerald, Andrew Morrissey, Paddy Codd (captain), John Coghlan, John O'Callaghan, Seamus Kennedy, Alan Campbell, George Hannigan, Stephen O'Brien, Philip Austin, Liam McGrath, Aldo Matassa, Philip Quirke, Barry Grogan, Bill Maher. At least 6 players missing playing with University teams.

Tipperary team v. Cork - McGrath Cup - Paul Fitzgerald, Andrew Morrissey, Paddy Codd (captain), John Coghlan, John O'Callaghan, Seamus Kennedy, Alan Campbell, George Hannigan, Stephen O'Brien, Philip Austin, Liam McGrath, Aldo Matassa, Philip Quirke, Barry Grogan, Bill Maher. At least 6 players missing playing with University teams.

Thanks Davin , a lot of young players getting a game , hope it goes well for them . Delighted to see Barry Grogan back .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Should the county team not take the priority over the school team, maybe that's ye're problem.

• Advertisement

It is a rule of competitons like the McGrath Cup, O'Byrne Cup, McKenna Cup and FBD League that the Universities have first call on players for those competitions. It is not our problem, but a ruling from Croke Park. Several other counties badly hit as well, including Roscommon and a number of Ulster counties. Basically any counties with young panels are hard hit. IMO the rule makes no sense, but Croke Park has ruled otherwise.

The Tipp hurling team for today's game V Offaly.

Gleeson
    Maher
    Curran
    Okeefe
    S mcGrath
    Hamill
    Stapleton
    N McGrath
    J Ryan
    Heffernan
    Curran
    A Ryan
    Bourke
    Callanan
    Hammersley

Great start for Tipp . Tipp 0 - 7 Cork 0 - 4 @ half time .

Result : Tipp 2 - 9 , Cork 1 - 9 , the rise of Tipperary Football continues .

That is a brilliant performance from Tipp to beat Cork in Cork, with 6 Under 21's in the team. I honestly did not see any chance of a win today and was just hoping for a good show. Cork were 1/7 with Paddy Power this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Really well done to the Tipperary footballers. Cork have traditionally dominated the tournament, great to see a win.

Tipperary hurlers beat Offaly 1-22 to 1-13.

Scorers (from Tipp Supporters twitter) S Callanan 0-11, S Curran 0-3, S Bourke 1-0, N McGrath, J Ryan, T Hammersley 0-2 each, M Heffernan, A Ryan 0-1 each.

Callanan needs to continue that sort of scoreline into the season and Shane Bourke has some nose for goals!

Shane McGrath was playing at #5 today with Noel McGrath at #8. Interesting experimentation.

Was at the challenge in Templemore today. Tipp to their credit looked fresh and eager despite the time of year and i was especially impressed with the fitness drills before the game with EOS onlooking and encouraging them.

McGrath and Callanan had great games. Timmy H lacks courage but has decent stickwork. Was very impressed with young Tossy Hamill at number 6. A real gem.

We're on the right track in both codes! H'on the Premier!

Result : Tipp 2 - 9 , Cork 1 - 9 , the rise of Tipperary Football continues .

Jimmy Mcguinness will soon be losing matches as no force can surely stem the rise of the mighty Premier! ;)

Two good wins today,hon Tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

It is a rule of competitons like the McGrath Cup, O'Byrne Cup, McKenna Cup and FBD League that the Universities have first call on players for those competitions. It is not our problem, but a ruling from Croke Park. Several other counties badly hit as well, including Roscommon and a number of Ulster counties. Basically any counties with young panels are hard hit. IMO the rule makes no sense, but Croke Park has ruled otherwise.

Makes perfect sense to me tbf, the intercounty managers will have them all year, the colleges main competitions (Sigerson and Fitzgibbon) will be well over before the Provincial Championships start.

Advertisement