Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SpaceX's Grasshopper VTVL takes a 40 meter hop

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Postponed both days due to technical difficulties - unable to get the Liquid Oxygen chilled enough, the colder the denser and the more you can get in.

That couldn't be just to make sure to get that 12 Tonne SES-9 SAT up surely? They're mad to hit the landing.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/26/spacex-postponed-launch-again/

No mention of new date but it'll have to be soon. ISS run is coming up in a Month or so.
    nokia69 wrote: »
    Jeremy Clarkson was it, Musk should sue them again for telling lies, if he gets a fair judge he might win this time
    No, some investigative programme, think it was set up in Finland where they have big subsidies to buy electric and perks like driving in Bus lanes. They had a bit about the Nissan Leaf and then some fella giving out about his rattling Tesla, Car is so quiet, you can hear every little noise from every where else in it he reckoned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The SpaceX motto should be there will be delays
    Given the costs there's no point in chancing it.
    Postponed both days due to technical difficulties - unable to get the Liquid Oxygen chilled enough, the colder the denser and the more you can get in.
    You know slush puppies ? Well you can store a lot more Hydrogen if you slush it, as in lot of solid hydrogen in the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Given the costs there's no point in chancing it.

I agree, but even allowing for that SpaceX do tend to have a lot of delays, its because the Falcon 9 is still a work in progress
    You know slush puppies ? Well you can store a lot more Hydrogen if you slush it, as in lot of solid hydrogen in the mix.

it works but there are some who claim its not worth the hassle, as with everything in rockets its a trade off

No, some investigative programme, think it was set up in Finland where they have big subsidies to buy electric and perks like driving in Bus lanes. They had a bit about the Nissan Leaf and then some fella giving out about his rattling Tesla, Car is so quiet, you can hear every little noise from every where else in it he reckoned.

I thought you were saying the car falls to pieces after a few months, kind of a predictable problem, in a "normal" car most noise gets hidden by the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought you were saying the car falls to pieces after a few months, kind of a predictable problem, in a "normal" car most noise gets hidden by the engine

Wouldn't this 'problem' also have been noticeable in the Leaf and other EVs?
    Where's MadLad when we need him?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It works but there are some who claim its not worth the hassle, as with everything in rockets its a trade off
    Here's another approach for denser fuel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntin

Again the trade offs were marginal given the cost. Rocket fuel and tanks are cheap. Engines and their testing , avionics and other stuff is expensive.

josip wrote: »
    Wouldn't this 'problem' also have been noticeable in the Leaf and other EVs?
    Where's MadLad when we need him?

Maybe not, i suspect that Nissan are or were better at building cars than Tesla, I also suspect the man in Finland has an early Model S, there is a big difference between the first Model S that rolled off the line and the cars being produced today

Attempt 3 is at 23.46 for this...........or tomorrow

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/704037616346222592

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Fingers crossed for a successful mission tonight.

• Advertisement

Scrubbed. :(

32600 (and growing) people waiting on the youtube link...it's not alot really.

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    Scrubbed. :(

I can't see anything saying that:confused:

Range safety halted the launch because of a possible ship in the keep-out zone but SpaceX hopes to launch tonight anyway. Let's see anyway.

Range safety halted the launch because of a possible ship in the keep-out zone but SpaceX hopes to launch tonight anyway. Let's see anyway.
    :D at the Twitter Convo, they want everything sent out, Airwolf, Blue Thunder, Klingons, "Tell them you're not angry. You're 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥." haha from Jackass that I think, Stevo.

And then down the end Bezos Yacht, lol, that got me.

:D at the Twitter Convo, they want everything sent out, Airwolf, Blue Thunder, Klingons, "Tell them you're not angry. You're 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥." haha from Jackass that I think, Stevo.

And then down the end Bezos Yacht, lol, that got me.

https://twitter.com/drew/status/704093296780414976

:p

3 mins to launch.

Launch abort. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Very late abort, wonder what happened, seemed like automatic abort

Now it's definitely scrubbed!

Edit: Sigh, now guy on webcast is saying that they could still try another launch within the next 51 mins. Do it!

Very late abort, wonder what happened, seemed like automatic abort
    Now it's definitely scrubbed!

They just said they're waiting on official word, 51 minutes of window left.

• Advertisement

They just said they're waiting on official word, 51 minutes of window left.

Alright, he DID say initially that the launch was scrubbed for the day....then a few minutes later came out and said the launch could still be attempted. I updated my comment reflecting his statement. I don't see it flying tonight.

Yep, scrubbed for today.

And now she's scrubbed, Till Tomorrow Folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are SpaceX getting more nervy?

josip wrote: »
    Are SpaceX getting more nervy?

Theirs alot pressure with this one, they're still coming back from the failed launch. If they mess this up, the reputation is in the bin/its back to cross your fingers this makes it up for every launch.

6 months of delays with this SAT while updating Rocket so that it could make it up, after all that imagine losing it...and cost/time to rebuild.

If I needed a a SAT up I'd be looking at other options.

The contracts are signed years in advance, I'm not sure if people will base a decision on one launch failure or a few delays, for a launch they need 2 or 3 years from now

Their orders book is full and I only see it getting bigger

Theirs alot pressure with this one, they're still coming back from the failed launch. If they mess this up, the reputation is in the bin/its back to cross your fingers this makes it up for every launch.

6 months of delays with this SAT while updating Rocket so that it could make it up, after all that imagine losing it...and cost/time to rebuild.

SES have shown themselves to be very committed to SpaceX. These failed launches are regrettable but it should be pointed out that delays of this sort are fairly common in space launches. Last night would have seen a successful launch had it not been for some eejit in a boat under the flight path.

There's an awful lot of pressure on SpaceX now, especially from ULA and their fanboys online (yes, they really do exist and they genuinely want to see each and every SpaceX launch fail spectacularly). But I've no doubt that SpaceX will continue to push forward, even with occasionally mishaps and change the space launch industry for the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The contracts are signed years in advance, I'm not sure if people will base a decision on one launch failure or a few delays, for a launch they need 2 or 3 years from now
    +1. Launch delays are no great issue, catastrophic failures are an issue, so you can be sure those paying the big bucks won't mind a few delays compared to the alternative. Quadruple that when down the line humans are at the top of the rocket. Long past are the days of light the blue touch paper and cross fingers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

+2 Much rather seeing delays than exploding rockets, and I'd imagine that's x1,000 for those that own the payloads.

Advertisement