Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing a hangover?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

It always depresses me to see so many people on here looking to circumvent hangovers. Ireland is suffering from an alcoholism endemic. I implore you all to look carefully at your alcohol consumption, you are slowly killing yourself from the inside out.

You are being over dramatic.

I'm going for a 'session' with some lads I see very rarely now due to work, emigration etc. Hardly what I would call slowly killing myself with drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

Just cancel all your plans for Sunday and do them next week.

I wish I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I wish I could.

You could try those lifeline tablets I've seen in shops. You take them before you start drinking and it's supposed to stop the hangover. I've never tried them but it's worth a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

A big meal before you start drinking and one when you stop. You can do anything you like in between.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

It always depresses me to see so many people on here looking to circumvent hangovers. Ireland is suffering from an alcoholism endemic. I implore you all to look carefully at your alcohol consumption, you are slowly killing yourself from the inside out.

Alcohol starts on the outside (in glass) and then goes Inside (drinking)

Get your facts straight before you start spouting rubish in here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Lots of cocaine helps take the edge of the hangover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Need some help folks. Have a big day/night drinking session planned for this Saturday. I’m looking forward to it but not the hangover that I know awaits me on Sunday. I have a busy day planned for Sunday also and really dread the thoughts of suffering all day.

Can anyone recommend any good ways to prevent a hangover or is it impossible?

Thats like cutting yourself and not wanting to feel pain, its not going to happen. You are poisoning yourself after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Big pint of water before bed, ice cold glass of milk when you wake up. Slice of white toast if you're feeling up to it. Right as rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

As stated by a few others already have a good meal before you go out and eat afterwards/during if it's an especially long night.
    Drink plenty of water during the day and every few pints get a glass of water. Right before you go to bed drink as much water as you feel comfortable with. Sometimes I'll drink 2-3 pints of water at the end of the night just before I go to bed.

It'll have you pissing like a racehorse but you'll feel much better the next day. I find I get dehydrated during the night so the overloading on water really helps combat this while you're sleeping.

Get yourself a decent meal the next morning and drink something like tea with sugar or juice. I prefer cranberry juice to orange after a nights drinking as the orange can be acidy and upset the stomach.

Not always possible if you've a busy day but try to get a decent length of nights sleep.
    Might be psychological but I always find a good shower and teeth brushing helps me feel better in the morning. Could have something to do with getting rid of any trace of beer smells.

Nothing wrong with a nights drinking, sometimes it's whats called for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Take lots of Valium the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Bread is great soakage after the booze. If you can get a footlong from subway on the way home I'd recommend it. Its great when your drunk anyway and not as damaging/puke inducing as your standard doner/burger/garlic chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Can of coke or a bottle of lucozade original the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

This sounded stupid to me at the time, but in Norway they always hand out glasses of water for every glass of wine/beer they sell, it works great. I tried it and didn't have much of a hangover the next day, so I have one non-alcoholic beer or water followed by an alcoholic one all the time, seems to do the trick. I think it should be the law here.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

I used to suffer from awful hangovers, I find this system works for me but your milage may vary

Before you go out multi-vit and litre of water

When you get in litre of water (pref with dioralyte or some kinda isotonic sports drink) and eat something with some carbs / protein. Egg on toast is ideal.

Leave another litre of water beside the bed and if you wake up at any point down it, even if you're not thirsty.

In the morning another carb / protein meal and more dioralyte and another multi-vit, add a painkiller to shake off the muscle pains.

Not trying to sound the big man but I had about 2/3s of a bottle of gin a few nights ago and woke up grand after following this.

If you can get it here try Vitamin Water XXX if you're in the horrors

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ro1FKNRvHSM/SxPt1807sZI/AAAAAAAAB5E/zuXaWwKmgBU/s1600/carlsjrvitaminwater.jpg

Golden rule though is stick to one kind of drink, dont mix. If drinking spirits try and avoid soft drink mixers and go with juice instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I used to suffer from awful hangovers, I find this system works for me but your milage may vary

Before you go out multi-vit and litre of water

When you get in litre of water (pref with dioralyte or some kinda isotonic sports drink) and eat something with some carbs / protein. Egg on toast is ideal.

Leave another litre of water beside the bed and if you wake up at any point down it, even if you're not thirsty.

In the morning another carb / protein meal and more dioralyte and another multi-vit, add a painkiller to shake off the muscle pains.

Not trying to sound the big man but I had about 2/3s of a bottle of gin a few nights ago and woke up grand after following this.

If you can get it here try Vitamin Water XXX if you're in the horrors

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ro1FKNRvHSM/SxPt1807sZI/AAAAAAAAB5E/zuXaWwKmgBU/s1600/carlsjrvitaminwater.jpg

Golden rule though is stick to one kind of drink, dont mix. If drinking spirits try and avoid soft drink mixers and go with juice instead

Is it really worth it to do all that so you can drink half a litre of gin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

TheBody wrote: »
    Has anybody tried those lifeline tablets? Are they any good?

http://www.getalifeline.com/

Yeah I have. I suffer horrendous hangovers. If i've a big night out planned I'd be dreading the next day without my lifelines. Remember, take two an hour after you start to drink and if you're still drinking 7 drinks later, take another two. Set your phone alarm to remind you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Someone suggested in this thread to take two painkillers when you come home from the pub..I wouldn't recommend this, you're taking painkillers on top of a load of booze?
    Best thing is to eat a big meal before you go out and stick to pale drinks..The next morning, take two painkillers when you wake up and have a greasy breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

wyndham wrote: »
    Is it really worth it to do all that so you can drink half a litre of gin?

I rarely drink tbh, just ended up at a party with the GF and a bottle of gin between us and muggins here got the sharp end of the stick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

fussyonion wrote: »
    he next morning, take two painkillers when you wake up and have a greasy breakfast.

Lots of folk are grand after a big fry up ..but when I've a bad one, I can't even keep water down. It's nearly 11 at night before I can think about eating. I'd only be fit to drink about 4 drinks if I'd no Lifelines.

It also helps a lot to take a Zantac stomach tablet before going out and if you're totally hammered and you've a sensitive stomach..another one when you go to bed or 1st thing in the morning.

Another tip op is those wee roll on headache things are marvellous for a hangover headache. The one I use is called 4Head- Tesco sometimes have it..some chemists and Sainsburys (The Boots own brand isn't any good.).Your headache disappears in seconds with a cool refreshing Menthol sensation on your forehead. You have to keep using it though 'til you're better. Hope you've a great night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

you've got a serious drink problem mate. that's an unnatural amount of drink for one man to consume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

As the ads say (along with others above) drink at your own pace. It's the only way. I quickly copped on to the relationship with a night out with the lads and a night out with work colleagues and the ensuing hangover.

Pacing yourself is the only way, and you can still get drunk that way if you so wish, it just takes longer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It's unavoidable

Put off your plans for Sunday if possible

Do not drink coke/lucozade sports drinks in general after drinking, they do weird stuff with the electrolytes in your blood and make you extremely dehydrated to the extent you`ll be dizzy and panicking

Eat a big meal before you start drinking and eat something before you go to bed along with 2 or 3 pints of water, you`ll still be hungover but it will be almost bearable the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

you've got a serious drink problem mate. that's an unnatural amount of drink for one man to consume.

Rubbish. Plenty of people have consumed way more than that. Doesn't mean they have a drink problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

My number one rule is not to mix drinks.. I used to & I got the most horriffic hangovers..

Now I stick to Beer for the night or Vodka and I get something to eat on the way home & down as much water as I can.. I try to drink water throughout the night out too & it really really helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Valium.
    fight drugs with drugs.

Or dont drink, which i personally recommend. But if you must, Valium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

I would recommend soluble vits like boracca etc but not juices the next day.
    You liver and bladder are already under enough strain without loading juice on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pixiel

I find a lifeline tablet and a dioralyte before I go out helps.
    If you can remember to drink another dioralyte when you get home this helps as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

My friend swears by the lifeline tablets. Also the mixing drinks thing is a myth, doesn't matter what drinks you have. It's the quantity of alcohol that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Where To wrote: »
    Tip your taxi driver well on the way home.

It won't help your hangover, but it will leave you with less money to buy more drink.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

CWF wrote: »
    What?
    I know, I feel your pain, but what with the price of insurance and diesel these days that's the best I can do.:)

Advertisement