Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing a hangover?

Options
  • 27-12-2012 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Need some help folks. Have a big day/night drinking session planned for this Saturday. I’m looking forward to it but not the hangover that I know awaits me on Sunday. I have a busy day planned for Sunday also and really dread the thoughts of suffering all day.

Can anyone recommend any good ways to prevent a hangover or is it impossible?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

don't abuse drugs

only way really

drinking water during the night will help a tiny tiny bit, but really the only answer is not to abuse drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Drink a pint of water for every three pints.

don't mix wine and beer

eat a good sized meal before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Drink a Non-Alco Beer every couple of drinks, less drunk generally means less hungover.

Drink a Non-Alco Beer every couple of drinks, less drunk generally means less hungover.

For some reason that always makes me feel worse :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D;) To be printed out and kept on your mirror :p;) I myself stick to number 13 and it feels great :)

1. Go one for one. It’s no secret that drinking water can help deflect a pounding AM headache. (Pretty much the opposite of a good morning.) Tissues around the brain are mostly made of water, and dehydration will shrink these tissues, creating pressure in the head. Alcohol can lead to dehydration, so make sure to continuously drink water throughout the night/SIZE][URL="http://greatist.com/health/13-ways-to-stop-a-hangover/#footnote_0_24177"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=2. Try matching each alcoholic drink with one glass of water to avoid any next-day pain/SIZE][URL="http://greatist.com/health/13-ways-to-stop-a-hangover/#footnote_1_24177"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]2[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=2.
    2. Chow down. Just because beer has calories doesn’t mean it counts as dinner. Drinking on an empty stomach will allow alcohol to absorb faster, so try getting in a good meal with lots of healthy carbs before breaking out the bottle. Alcohol also increases acid secretion in the stomach, which can make us feel nauseous, and food can act as a buffer to the acid. Some research even shows a stomach full of food may help keep blood alcohol content at a lower level.
    3. Keep it light. Darker drinks like red wine or rum contain congeners (substances produced during fermentation), which may contribute to hangovers/SIZE][URL="http://greatist.com/health/13-ways-to-stop-a-hangover/#footnote_2_24177"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]3[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=2. Skip the whiskey in favor of vodka or a glass of white wine.
    4. Stay classy. More expensive liquors tend to contain less filler congeners (a cause for headaches, as described above). So pass on the well liquors and take it up a notch with some top-shelf booze.
    5. Take a multivitamin. Drinking depletes nutrients in the body, including vitamin B12 and folate. Try popping a multivitamin to replenish what’s lost from a night of drinking.
    6. Skip the bubbles. Opt out of champagne or other alcohol that’s mixed with carbonated beverages. The bubbles may cause alcohol to be absorbed more quickly. (Hence that New Year’s Day hangover.)
    7. Snack on Pickles. The thought of ‘em might turn your stomach the day after partying, but snacking on a few pickles could help out a dehydrated body. Pickles contain vinegar, water — and sodium, an electrolyte that we lose after excessive drinking. Some people really do knock back a few shots of pickle juice to help a hangover, but we’ll leave this one up to you.
    8. Grab some potassium. When dehydrated, we lose not only water, but electrolytes, too. Gain ‘em back by snacking on potassium-rich foods like bananas or spinach ((Potassium. AHFS Consumer Medication Information. Last reviewed: September 1, 2010.)).
    9. Scramble eggs. Eggs contain taurine, which has been shown to reverse liver damage caused by a night of heavy boozing/SIZE][URL="http://greatist.com/health/13-ways-to-stop-a-hangover/#footnote_3_24177"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=2. Scramble them up with lots of veggies for added antioxidant power!
    10. Sip ginger tea. Hangovers can sometimes come with a side of upset stomach. To settle that tummy, brew a warm mug of ginger tea. Ginger has been shown to help combat nausea/SIZE][URL="http://greatist.com/health/13-ways-to-stop-a-hangover/#footnote_4_24177"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]5[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=2.
    11. Refuel at the breakfast table. Alcohol will lead to a drop in blood sugar, so boost it back up with a glass of OJ in the morning/SIZE][URL="http://greatist.com/health/13-ways-to-stop-a-hangover/#footnote_5_24177"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]6[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=2!
    12. Get some fresh air. Oxygen increases the rate that alcohol toxins are broken down, so bundle up and get outdoors. A little exercise never hurt anyone — and it may even release some endorphins to boost a post-hangover mood.
    13. Play D.D. We’re sorry to say that the only sure-fire way to avoid a hangover is to skip the booze altogether/SIZE][URL="http://greatist.com/health/13-ways-to-stop-a-hangover/#footnote_6_24177"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]7[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=2. So if waking up to a pounding headache doesn’t sound fun, play designated driver for the night (even if not actually driving).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pace yourself. Don't drink a ridiculous amount of booze. It's really quite easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Don't get into rounds, it makes it impossible to keep control of the amount you're drinking.

Drink plenty of water during the day and when you're in the pub.
    Eat a decent dinner made up of lots of protein.
    Drink pale coloured drinks - the more tannins, the more pain!
    Don't smoke.
    Don't do shots.
    Have a pint of water (berocca would be better) when you get home (I also have two painkillers with this).

And honestly - as preachy as it may sound - don't get too drunk, don't try and keep up with your mates. Drink slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Buy a packet of dioralytes, they work wonders. Also a few pints of water throughout the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Tip your taxi driver well on the way home.

It won't help your hangover, but it will leave you with less money to buy more drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I hear sticking to water all night apparently works wonders for preventing a hangover.

Possibly bs though, I've never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I suffered from horrendous hangovers in the past. The answer is drink at least a pint of water - pref a litre on the way to the pub, sipped from a bottle is best I find. The alcohol hit is slower and more comfortable when hydrated I find. An automatic pace has been set.

You know on pint1 when people say I needed that! Eh no you didn't, you needed water as you were already dehydrated.

Never drink on an empty stomach. The alcohol is absorbed too fast via empty intestines. Recipe for disaster.

I was in a club a few days ago and I asked the bar man what spirit mixed well with the beer I had earlier? His answer was "none" so I had more beer. Clever answer Mr Barman, thank you.
    Stick to the one drink.

The bar is closed now? Bar people are always happy to give you a pint of water. Ask for 4 and hand them to mates. Cheapest but most
    Important round !

If poss have more water when you get home but I always find it easier to drink water at the bar at the end of a night.

Put an alert on your phone for 12:00 or whatever "water"
    If you follow that the hangover will be minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pace yourself. Don't drink a ridiculous amount of booze. It's really quite easy.

This is it really imo. I don't think its possible to avoid one if you're going to be drinking heavily. I know some people swear by drinking pints of water in between drinks but are you really going to start doing this in a pub after you've a few down?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

A pint every 45 mins. If you can stick to that pace you won't be too bad next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Drink plenty of water during the day on Saturday. Have a good meal that evening before you go out. Have a pint of water and painkillers left on your bedside locker before you go out and take them when you get home.
    Then on Sunday morning, worst part is when you wake up. Get up, sip large glass of oj, then sip water all morning, take more painkillers if needed. Give your teeth a good cleaning, have a shower and you should feel more human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I used to (and still do) suffer from anxiety the day after drinking. Of late, I have started slowly drinking whiskey and diet coke, drinking water before, during and after and eating a large meal before going out. I don't know which of these are doing the trick but it's working. At the end of the night I'm not sober not plastered drunk either; nice and merry. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

eat a banana..or two

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

take ecstasy after youre drinking, sobers me up right quick, and no hangover frmo the beer, do get the other hangover though, but thats not as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I drink red wine to prevent hangovers. I can drink beer or spirits with it too all night as well and be fine which is contrary to popular alcohol teachings. In fact the more I drink wine the better really. A glass might help but a whole bottle is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Some good advice on this thread. The most important thing for me is eating after you've been drinking, a burger, chips and coke will reduce my hangover massively. Also slow and steady, it doesn't matter how much you drink provided you drink at your own pace. I don't believe in painkillers for a hangover, I figure you deserve the hangover so you deserve the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's always depressing to see the 'don't drink too much' brigade out. The OP is asking for help with hangovers, I'd assume they want to drink too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Has anybody tried those lifeline tablets? Are they any good?

http://www.getalifeline.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

I asked my father one day about hangovers. He says he never gets them. His solution have a drink every four hours.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

It always depresses me to see so many people on here looking to circumvent hangovers. Ireland is suffering from an alcoholism endemic. I implore you all to look carefully at your alcohol consumption, you are slowly killing yourself from the inside out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The best cure I ever had was mango juice. It wasn't the watery stuff. It had the consistency of thick oil. The nearest I can think of in Ireland is those cartons of Innocent pure fruit smoothie. Put a few cartons in the fridge before you go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

One way to prevent a hangover is to never stop drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Drink a soluble multivitamin before you go to bed, about a pints worth or drink a lucozade sport/Powerade again before you go asleep.

As most people are aware, the older you get the worse the hangovers get. My hangovers are at early 20s level with my precautions.

I was so thirsty one morning I legged it downstairs and grabbed the first cold thing in the fridge.

Which turned out to be gone off milk, I'd lashed back half of it before the chucks of sloppy bits got lodged in my throat.

Fúcking gone off milk mixed with sick all over the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just cancel all your plans for Sunday and do them next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭_GOD_

Nothing beats an alka seltzer before you go to bed. Also, I swear by aloe vera juice before bed too.

Advertisement