Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is facebook here to stay? What could replace it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Facebook team really knew what they were doing: they converted Facebook into a mini-Internet.
    Someone reckoned that if they added a web search button to the page they would get something like 22% of the market. This would put them in #2 overnight.

And there is money in searches
    I think Facebook will only lose its popularity when:
    (a) it makes a drastic change to its terms - like Instagram recently - that involves either monetising accounts, selling people's details to advertisers or taking control of all content posted on it.
    or
    (b) someone invents a new type of social networking site (not just a new site, a new type of site).
    expect more ads or perhaps a linkedin type thing where people who pay can see more or send unsolicited ads (already testing)

facebook does have the advantage of the network effect, look at google+ no one is going to bother with it unless it offers some must have feature and/or everyone is on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

TwitFace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

gugleguy wrote: »
    http://apnews.myway.com//article/20121231/DA3GQK6G0.html

I am'nt on and don't use FB myself.
    So, do the Facebook fans on this thread think? Any takers?

From that article: [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]De-friending people seems rude and aggressive to me (although it may be a good idea down the road as decades of friends pile up).

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Now i agree that defriending people, especially if you live in a small town, can be an "aggressive" act as it can cause offence. I quit facebook in June 2012 so am away from that stuff. But the "decades of friends" bit made me think that would also be very sad when you are in your 40s and delete people you may have been friends with in college etc. Seems like there would be a finality to that as those friends may never be on your radar again. Meeting them once in a blue moon the warmth may not be there so much as you'd know you deleted them and they would know it too (ie not the traditional warm brief random meeting we might have with an old friend from years ago). But alas, space on a cluttered profile would be needed and that's that. However you would almost be allowing [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]facebook to decide when the time is right for you to move through the stages of life (if anyone gets what i mean). The site is too ubiquitous and intrusive into real relationships (and not so real ones).
    [/FONT]

Advertisement