Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is facebook here to stay? What could replace it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

facebook will last until there's a major evolution in how social media works, i give it 5 more years before something new comes to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

3-4 years... Noob... I was late coming to Facebook in late 06.

I'd think Facebook will be around until they over monetize it. and there is a decent alternative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

It will eventually die. It's becoming over run with sponsored ads, ads, and ads. Bots will ruin it, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Every website bar Google/Amazon/news site goes through a cycle. Facebook will not die out but will be overshadowed by a more compelling competitor. It happened to MySpace, Bebo, Plurk, Orkut, Jaiku.. it will happen to Facebook, eventually

The teens will switch to something else. It will be over by the time we learn about it. Its must be seriously uncool for a teen to use Facebook now and have his mother wanting to be his 'friend'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Who needs facebook when ye have Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

mckenzie84 wrote: »
    Nothing lasts forever.

except foreverness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

yes its time to sell your shares, they have peaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Its has definitely peaked already - around 2010 I'd say.

Now, less and less people seem to be uploading photos and more people seem to be deactivating their profiles or leaving them untouched.

While I do spend a good bit of the day on it, usually just to chat to friends abroad, I don't update my status nor upload photos where as I did very regularly around 2009/2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Never heard of Plurk, Orkut or Jaiku :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Deactivated my Facebook account. Just sick of 'like' this and 'like' that. 'Like' this picture to cure a child with cancer and all that crap. Just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Anyone who i regard as being a friend I can text, call or email. If I wanted to be friends with someone i went to school with 10yrs ago I'd have made the effort then.

Find Twitter much better. You pick & choose what you see. Someone annoys you or bores you then just 'unfollow' them. Its a fantastic resource with oceans of info in real time.

Don't miss Facebook at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I have an idea for a new social media site but I do not have a strong technical background so I wouldn't know how to create it. :(

I have an idea for a new social media site but I do not have a strong technical background so I wouldn't know how to create it. :(
    Let me know, I'll try to do something with it, and give you all the credit and money of course :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Let me know, I'll try to do something with it, and give you all the credit and money of course :p :pac:

Luckily being a lawyer, I know a ting a two 'bout contracts... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭martinnew

Well I can sell some other social networking site taking over in 10 years.. Lets face it, My children said they would never use FB because we (wife and I) are on it.

FB is just the latest Craze.. it will pass, sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

The Social Network is on RTE2 @ 9.15pm tonight if thats any good to you.

#StartingPoint

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Deactivated my Facebook account. Just sick of 'like' this and 'like' that. 'Like' this picture to cure a child with cancer and all that crap. Just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Anyone who i regard as being a friend I can text, call or email. If I wanted to be friends with someone i went to school with 10yrs ago I'd have made the effort then.

Find Twitter much better. You pick & choose what you see. Someone annoys you or bores you then just 'unfollow' them. Its a fantastic resource with oceans of info in real time.

Don't miss Facebook at all.

I personally can't stand twitter. For the same reasons you don't like Facebook. I deleted my twitter cos I didn't like seeing people post their random uesless thoughts and seeing all this 'RETWEET FOR BELIEBERS <3<3' bs. I just didn't like the way it worked, especially the ass-kissing of so-called celebrities. Personal preferences I suppose.

People whinge and moan about all this '1 like = 1 prayer' crap and what you can actually do (believe it or not) is hide certain people on your newsfeed. Or you can delete them. I've done this and it's brilliant. Now all I have is stuff from people I actually care about and not people I never interact with. I also blocked people on chat so I don't have to flick through a few names to see who's online.

The filtering options on FB are very useful and if people knew how to use them there'd be less whinging about the people abusing it and more praise about the people making good use of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Arsebook.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20121231/DA3GQK6G0.html

I am'nt on and don't use FB myself.
    So, do the Facebook fans on this thread think? Any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Anyone see the I. T. Crowd episode taking the piss outa Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Choose life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Everything ends eventually, the sun will blow up and Facebook will finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Is facebook here to stay? What could replace it?

Facekick?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/21/facebook_paid_message_delivery/
    Facebook users may soon start seeing more messages in their Inboxes, thanks to a new pilot program that allows users to pay a fee to send personal messages to people with whom they have no direct connection.

https://joindiaspora.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Just checked the link on here, is that meant to be funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I expected Facebook to be gone long before now! Bebo and Myspace only really lasted 2 or 3 years, Facebook has been around for 8 now.

The Facebook team really knew what they were doing: they converted Facebook into a mini-Internet. Back in 2005, for example, I had my Bebo profile for photos and comments, my MSN messenger for chatting, a hotmail email address for longer mails and sending attachments... On Facebook, you have all of those things on one site, as well as being able to form groups for classmates, etc. that previously would have had to use other sites. Facebook also gives you a way to contact companies, bands and celebrities, as well as news channels, etc. so you can get your updates there too.

I'm not saying I personally use Facebook for all of those things - but they've played a clever game in making Facebook a one-stop-shop for a lot of the services people were using the Internet for. I barely ever use my hotmail/MSN account anymore - and this also means you need to leave Facebook open while you're doing other stuff, because that's where your conversations are.

That said, I am getting sick of it, of reading stuff from some people who are so predictable that it feels like Groundhog Day when I log in. But I use it to keep in touch with people I met abroad and have no phone numbers for in Ireland, for discussions with my classmates in our group whenever we have issues with the course/assignments and for messaging my friends when I'm low on phone credit or want to sent them sth longer than a text.

I think Facebook will only lose its popularity when:
    (a) it makes a drastic change to its terms - like Instagram recently - that involves either monetising accounts, selling people's details to advertisers or taking control of all content posted on it.
    or
    (b) someone invents a new type of social networking site (not just a new site, a new type of site).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 dandynamo

facebook needs a slap button

Advertisement