Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is facebook here to stay? What could replace it?

Options
  • 24-12-2012 7:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Just thinking earlier that facebook has had around 3-4 years now of being the worlds main social media site it replaced bebo myspace etc
    I was wondering ia it really here to stay will we be using it in 2,5,10+ years?
    What could replace it? Will social media just die out?
    Im not a big user of facebook i just find that the more we interact online the less we see of eachother in person but anyway rant over
    do you think facebook is here to stay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Facekindle. Ba dum tish

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

My money is on Geocities

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

you know i kind of agree with you - i joined facebook about a year ago and to be honest i am kind of bored and am contemplating just closing down my account. dont know what will replace it though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I've got 16,371 really good friends on FB. How else would they know I'm doing inane shit if there was no FB for them to see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

whatever does will have to be able to suck your data out of facebook (which i think will prove the tricky bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Penpals are coming back into style again. I reckon they'll out-popularise Facebook as a social networking medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Fcukbook will be next,I am always seeing ads for it.....while not searching for material of a adult nature......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Fcukbook will be next,I am always seeing ads for it.....while not searching for material of a adult nature......:cool:
    I always feel so lucky that there's hot single girls in MY area!
    I mean, how lucky is that?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Your maaaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Dean09 wrote: »

aaronjumper likes this.

I would say it is not going to go away. As long as people have nothing to say, they will say it on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's probably ok for 15-20 year olds. I find it embarrising when I hear mothers talking about facebook down in the local pub. Wouldn't bother with it myself. No intrest in telling everybody that I pissed sideways last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

finbarrk wrote: »
    No intrest in telling everybody that I pissed sideways last night.

There's no need to though.
    It's easy to just block stuff/people you dont want to hear from.
    Giving out about it is like kicking yourself in the head, then complaining that you've a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have never used it, but seems everyone in work does these days.

Over recent months I have heard more and more people giving off about it, and saying they aren't on it as much, so there is a likelihood that it will get less popular, but since it has hundreds of millions of users, I'm sure it will still be getting used in 10yrs time by some people.

Having said that, folk these days are so fickle that if a better site for watching silly videos and telling the world what you had for breakfast comes along, they may well abandon FB en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gb40

Google plus now has 2 billion users!

gb40 wrote: »
    Google plus now has 2 billion users!
    Haha!

Every Google account user "has" a google plus account, doesn't mean they actually use it.

Especially the Latino girl from Dolphins barn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haha!

Every Google account user "has" a google plus account, doesn't mean they actually use it.

I am not joking when I say I have no idea what Google Plus is.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am not joking when I say I have no idea what Google Plus is.

Its the Google search engine for plus sized Women.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

Nothing lasts forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Stay away from them, they're an obsessive bunch.
    I moved to a different area and they followed me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

dvpower wrote: »
    Stay away from them, they're an obsessive bunch.
    I moved to a different area and they followed me. :mad:

yeah those hot single girls are a well resourced devious bunch, once they've got you in their sights thats pretty much it I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Uncle Frank

This new site all the kids are talking about. It's called BEBO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

whatever does will have to be able to suck your data out of facebook (which i think will prove the tricky bit)
    It's actually quite straight forward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

I say it's on downward slope, a slow moving one but all the same. I'm coming across more and more people that are losing interest in the whole idea, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

It's them students fault for all this FB muck. Bring back tuition fees, cull the grant and leave 'em all at home in their little parishes...no need for FB then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Especially the Latino girl from Dolphins barn!!
    I was always notified that there were women waiting for me in Carrickmines. I was interested, but there was no easy way to get there on the bus from where I lived. Alas...

On topic - as soon as it becomes 'hip' to leave Facebook, it's done for. All it really has going for it is its fashionability. The negative press about Facebook and privacy/cyberbullying/etc in the mass media has been slowly growing over the last 12 months or so, I'd say by this time next year it will only be more common. It's hard to say what will replace it though. I would hope that people will be more aware of terms of service, data protection, and the fact that if they're using a service for free it's the online equivalent of a shopping center - a private space the public are allowed into, and while they're inside, they must follow the rules, however strange they are. Some support for a project like Diaspora would be interesting, I am curious to see how issues around monetisation would work as the userbase increases to something approaching Facebook or Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Your maaaaaaaaaa

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Try www.faceboards.ie It's the hip thing that came in on the D.L. as they say on the streets fo sho yo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

What's a Bebo?

Advertisement